Dyche ------->Palace

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Rws
Has Liked: 1 time

Re: Dyche ------->Palace

Post by Rws » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:57 pm

iluva64 wrote:Can I put another spin on this.....

Why didn't BFS stay at CP. By all accounts the money was there and available for new players, so why did he walk.

Anyone shed any light?
From what I heard, he was affected/knew someone who was at the Manchester attack. Basically decided enough was enough and he wanted to spend time with his family.

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:58 pm

Just how many more times you lot, he's going nowhere just now...thank you and goodnight :lol:
This user liked this post: tim_noone

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Post by scouseclaret » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:07 pm

FactualFrank wrote:There aren't many/any players or managers who don't rank money as their main motivation. Dyche will be no different. If Palace offer more, he'll be off. That's my thoughts on this.
That's a very sweeping assumption.How many footballers/managers have you spoken to who've told you this? Michael Keane has reportedly just turned down Man Utd because he want to be sure of first team football.

More importantly, why do you assume Palace will be prepared to pay more than Burnley? Sean Dyche is, without any shadow of doubt, THE most valuable employee in the club's history. We should be prepared to match any financial offer made by ANY other club. Even if that means paying £10m a year or upwards, he's cheap at that price compared with the £200m and counting that he's brought into the club.

I expect a successful businessman like Mike Garlick will know this and we will not want to lose SD for want of money alone.

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 701 times
Has Liked: 174 times

Post by Nonayforever » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:14 pm

dsr wrote:As I understand it, it's a rolling 1-year contract, which means it runs out on 18th June 2018. Tomorrow, it'll run out on 19th June 2018. And so on.
If he is on this type of rolling contract, there must be predetermined negotiation dates for such issues as salary etc. I would imagine that the season end is one such date.

minnieclaret
Been Liked: 2012 times
Has Liked: 2287 times

Post by minnieclaret » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:16 pm

Southampton have just got rid of Puel for boring football. He's not going there then.
CP have a very good top 3 in Benteke, Townsend and Zaha but a dreadful defence. To sort it out he would likely have to drop Townsend and Zaha? The CP natives would not be happy.
He's staying.

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:19 pm

I would expect that Dyche massages down player expectations over salaries all the time. It would be more difficult to do that if he takes a big pay rise.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:20 pm

we gave him the job, dyche said on numerous occasions he admired the clubs realistic financial constraints, and that it was wise to be prudent .
I dont buy this idea that we need to go nuts on his contract just because we risk him being lured by even more money.
For me, as said before on here, it is crazy for the club to ignore this story, and if it transpires he had talks, or wants talks, then maybe he is not the man we all imagined him to be.

jurek
Been Liked: 309 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by jurek » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:29 pm

Not sure whether Dyche knows Big Sam in any way but if I were him I might be
tempted to give Big Sam a ring and have a chat with him.
Apart from that I can't see Palace offering that much more than we could if we had to.

Palace have two or three pretty good players on their books and could be one of a few teams that
might be able to challenge for a top six place but realistically may well be happy to get into the top ten.
Can't see them playing 4-4-2 too readily.

The challenge if Dyche remains at Burnley is to keep us up again and try to establish us as a
Premiership team albeit top ten might not be possible. We'd need at least two or three pretty good players
coming in to move on much beyond bottom 5 or 6.
Palace need to sort out their defence before they could contemplate climbing much higher
than at present but they may well see Dyche as the man to do that and not many, even Burnley fans, would disagree.

If Dyche's contract is due for renewal today then it would be interesting to know what we've offered him
as presumably he's now into his next 12 months with us.
If he's also got something written into his current deal that allows him to speak to another club
then we're at the mercy of any club who may wish to sound him out as presumably we can't say no
even if they formally approach the club first.

If he does go then I suspect it will not necessarily be that Palace can offer him 500k more a year
than we could as I believe we could match whatever Palace offer.
Some will say we should beat Palace's offer and I wouldn't be against that.

It will be because he will feel he's got a better chance of breaking into the top ten with them than with us.

Whatever will be I do hope we can get it over with asap.

I'm hoping we sign a few players in the next few days and Dyche steps up and decides he's staying
with us.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:03 am

must just be me then...if he only stays because he succeeds in convincing our club that he is worth more money otherwise he'd be off, then I have no interest in his future here. It'd be like watching a man waving at us in August with his hands raised aloft, but we would all know his position was only secured by playing one club off against the other, that won't do at all in my book.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:57 am

Wile E Coyote wrote:must just be me then...if he only stays because he succeeds in convincing our club that he is worth more money otherwise he'd be off, then I have no interest in his future here. It'd be like watching a man waving at us in August with his hands raised aloft, but we would all know his position was only secured by playing one club off against the other, that won't do at all in my book.

You don't think that he might have a fair case for expecting more, if he's paid significantly less than his peers, after what he has done at Burnley?

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3804 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:35 am

scouseclaret wrote:That's a very sweeping assumption.How many footballers/managers have you spoken to who've told you this? Michael Keane has reportedly just turned down Man Utd because he want to be sure of first team football.

More importantly, why do you assume Palace will be prepared to pay more than Burnley? Sean Dyche is, without any shadow of doubt, THE most valuable employee in the club's history. We should be prepared to match any financial offer made by ANY other club. Even if that means paying £10m a year or upwards, he's cheap at that price compared with the £200m and counting that he's brought into the club.

I expect a successful businessman like Mike Garlick will know this and we will not want to lose SD for want of money alone.
Christ you're a gullible one aren't you? MK turned down Man Utd? Hahahaha stop being so daft. United signed Lindellof so gave up on MK.

_Soclaretes_
Been Liked: 137 times
Has Liked: 285 times

Post by _Soclaretes_ » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:20 am

Really didn't think there was much in this but the longer it sticks around, the more worried I get. Saying that, Dyche knows which side his bread is buttered, especially after how he was shipped off from Watford.

Hopefully our loyalty to him, and our general 'good, old club' vibe will tip the balance in our favour (if he's even considering CP).

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1142 times
Has Liked: 292 times

Post by TsarBomba » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:45 am

Couple of reasons why SA left Crystal Palace. A friends wife was killed in the Manchester bombing, which as you would expect led SA to re-evaluate his family as number one priority.

Secondly, he spoke with Sir Alex who advised to retire with his health intact.

Firthy
Been Liked: 1613 times
Has Liked: 277 times

Post by Firthy » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:25 am

I was convinced he's going nowhere but with the length of time this has gone on for I'm not so sure now.

Surely SD and the board are aware of all the rumours and have discussed the situation so the fact that no statement had been made saying he's committed to us is the most worrying thing for me.
This user liked this post: _Soclaretes_

jlup1980
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 531 times

Post by jlup1980 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:28 am

I've always thought his contract situation was an odd one and I'm not sure many other clubs would go for it. Would Palace come for him as a long term Manager and allow him to sign a rolling 12 month deal like we do? I find that highly unlikely. So, if this is what SD is after, it might put us in a better position than them. So that's one nil to us.

Finance wise I expect CP would offer him a higher salary though, make that one each, and a bigger transfer budget so it's 2-1 to Palace now.

However, the ace up our sleeve could well be our loyalty. It's been mentioned about his time at Watford and how he was treated. We've been the opposite of this. We have stuck by him, even during our relegation from the PL. Where others have sacked their managers after promotion seasons (Hull sacked Phelan, Boro parted company with Karanka for example) we stood by our man; be it the board, players or fans. He's very much the fabric of the club and that will count double if my assumption of the man is correct. So just like the home game last season it ends 3-2 to Burnley... hopefully!!
This user liked this post: _Soclaretes_

_Soclaretes_
Been Liked: 137 times
Has Liked: 285 times

Post by _Soclaretes_ » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:31 am

Firthy wrote:I was convinced he's going nowhere but with the length of time this has gone on for I'm not so sure now.

Surely SD and the board are aware of all the rumours and have discussed the situation so the fact that no statement had been made saying he's committed to us is the most worrying thing for me.
That's true but they could well be taking the stance of, here is a manager still under contract who has improved (us and himself) year after. We haven't said there are any issues, so there aren't. They may feel it's beneath them to respond to papertalk or they may think that if they reapond to ine rumour, they'll have to respond to them all.

Am I grasping at straws? Maybe, but it's all I've got ;)

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1652 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:59 am

This trend of foreign managers and a trend of young managers too means there are a lot of UK managers out of work.

It is a big risk to jump ship to a chairman known as bring a bit twitchy.

Good managers too, or at least, managers who we once thought of as highly as Dyche now have been out of work for ages. Will Dyche's ambition and arrogance overcome his natural caution? It'll be a battle within him I would expect.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3767 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:02 am

CrosspoolClarets wrote:This trend of foreign managers and a trend of young managers too means there are a lot of UK managers out of work.

It is a big risk to jump ship to a chairman known as bring a bit twitchy.

Good managers too, or at least, managers who we once thought of as highly as Dyche now have been out of work for ages. Will Dyche's ambition and arrogance overcome his natural caution? It'll be a battle within him I would expect.
So wanting a new job is arrogance?

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:08 am

Nothing wrong with Palace as a football club but it's hardly going on to much greater things. I'd also put money on him being fired before the end of the season at Palace. I'm sure they will pay him more initially. It depends what he wants. Few managers in the PL will get the loyalty and control he has here. Probably only Wenger.

Walt
Been Liked: 113 times
Has Liked: 148 times

Post by Walt » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:49 am

They're a long way ahead of us squad wise in my opinion. Couple of astute defensive signings and with the front 3 of Zaha, Townsend and Benteke they could easily be top 8

dsr
Been Liked: 4578 times
Has Liked: 2270 times

Post by dsr » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:27 am

jurek wrote:Palace have two or three pretty good players on their books and could be one of a few teams that
might be able to challenge for a top six place but realistically may well be happy to get into the top ten.
Can't see them playing 4-4-2 too readily.

The challenge if Dyche remains at Burnley is to keep us up again and try to establish us as a
Premiership team albeit top ten might not be possible. We'd need at least two or three pretty good players
coming in to move on much beyond bottom 5 or 6.
Palace would have needed 28 more points last season to reach 6th place. We would have needed 5 more to reach 10th. I think perhaps you're giving too much credit to Palace and too little to us. I know Palace are in London and may build a new ground that's significantly bigger than ours, and therefore may have more long term potential to be Man United size - or even Everton size - but that's too far into the future to be significant in persuading a manager to move.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32541 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:29 am

Nonayforever wrote:If he is on yearly contracts, then presumably the last one ends June ( now ) and the next starts July.

If that's the case he may well be angling for more money and using Palace as bait.
He's not on yearly contracts, he's on a rolling contract which means he always has a year remaining on it.

Guich
Been Liked: 472 times
Has Liked: 598 times

Post by Guich » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:33 am

KRBFC wrote:Christ you're a gullible one aren't you? MK turned down Man Utd? Hahahaha stop being so daft. United signed Lindellof so gave up on MK.
Not quite the full picture KRBFC. I understand the move fell down over money.

PaintYorkClaretnBlue
Been Liked: 662 times
Has Liked: 1220 times

Post by PaintYorkClaretnBlue » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:35 am

Third favourite now, not that it means much!!

northeastclaret
Been Liked: 310 times
Has Liked: 199 times

Post by northeastclaret » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:35 am

Rolling contracts don't alter that there is always a 12 month notice period /get out clause/pay off.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:44 am

Tweet last night from Ed Malyon, sports editor of the Independent who has had his views on the Palace situation throughout.

He wrote: Sean Dyche back from holiday and pressing ahead with transfer business for Burnley today. Onlookers convinced he's not a man leaving the club."
These 8 users liked this post: DCWat iluva64 simonclaret claretblue DAVETHEVICAR Braindead Sarum The Enclosure

iluva64
Been Liked: 189 times
Has Liked: 130 times

Post by iluva64 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:57 am

If he's on a rolling contract, won't CP have to ask the club for permission to talk to him. He's always under contract when its rolling. hence the club will know.

a 'trigger clause' - its not like you buying a player as was the case with Trips so not sure how this would work.

He's probably got an option in there that allows him to talk to other clubs with BFC knowledge.

either way, we are in a better state of affairs than when horse teeth left. There will be no shortage of suitable takers if we need a new manager.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:03 am

iluva64 wrote:If he's on a rolling contract, won't CP have to ask the club for permission to talk to him. He's always under contract when its rolling. hence the club will know.

a 'trigger clause' - its not like you buying a player as was the case with Trips so not sure how this would work.

He's probably got an option in there that allows him to talk to other clubs with BFC knowledge.

either way, we are in a better state of affairs than when horse teeth left. There will be no shortage of suitable takers if we need a new manager.
Any club would have to formally ask permission to speak to him, but in football these days that usually comes once they've agreed because they've already been speaking through the agent. The trigger would work in exactly the same way as it did with Tripps.

Indecisive
Been Liked: 400 times
Has Liked: 68 times

Post by Indecisive » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:04 am

ClaretTony wrote:Tweet last night from Ed Malyon, sports editor of the Independent who has had his views on the Palace situation throughout.

He wrote: Sean Dyche back from holiday and pressing ahead with transfer business for Burnley today. Onlookers convinced he's not a man leaving the club."
The quote is pretty much word for word what was said at the fixtures breakfast. Dyche didn't attend that though, which he has previously.

The club and Dyche have to be careful. He may want to have some discussions with Palace, but he can't come out and say that in case nothing comes of it. I also don't think he's as comfortable as Coyle for example, who would just lie. Probably why he's being a bit low key at the minute.

iluva64
Been Liked: 189 times
Has Liked: 130 times

Post by iluva64 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:10 am

I thought CT's post this morning regarding ''The Pitch has some grass on it' should have been merged with this thread too.

Maybe retitle it as "the grass is always greener on the other side"

Perhaps this thread should be retitled " as one door shuts another one opens", that will confuse a few people

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:10 am

Indecisive wrote:The quote is pretty much word for word what was said at the fixtures breakfast. Dyche didn't attend that though, which he has previously.

The club and Dyche have to be careful. He may want to have some discussions with Palace, but he can't come out and say that in case nothing comes of it. I also don't think he's as comfortable as Coyle for example, who would just lie. Probably why he's being a bit low key at the minute.
I don't think he's been low key so much as not having been around because of holidays. He'd returned from a family holiday over the weekend before last and was at the club on the Monday for the Jeff Stelling walk. He was in a recruitment meeting on the following day which was held away from Turf Moor and then flew out to Portugal on the Wednesday to play in a charity golf tournament.

I think what was said at the breakfast had come from that meeting on the Tuesday and, the comment from Malyon was based on yesterday.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1652 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:11 am

martin_p wrote:So wanting a new job is arrogance?
No, all top football managers need a level of arrogance to perform at that level with the media and some of their posturing playing staff trying to trip them up at every turn.

I'm sure SD is no different.

This arrogance leads many to think for them it will be different, for them it won't be the risky new job leading to the sack and a long time unemployed. It'll lead to great things (Champions League, England etc). It's both a strength and a weakness, that in time many come to regret. That's what I meant.

ExistentialWanderer
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by ExistentialWanderer » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:15 am

WOW! 21 pages. I've perused some and to be honest, no disrespect to the Palace fan on here, but it would be a backwards move. Why would he leave us to join Palace? History aside where we come up trumps. You may argue Kettering is closer to there than here, but if so you have never been on the M25!

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:58 am

Not saying Dyche won't go, but the weird thing throughout this saga has been that there 's been relatively little twitter information about it. Usually, there's a decent crop of journos claiming to be in the know, but there's been barely any in this case. All the information that has leaked out appears to have come exclusively from the palace end, and then its been fairly speculative stuff.

UpTheBeehole
Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 496 times

Post by UpTheBeehole » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:14 pm

Dyche out to 3/1, with Frank de Boer second favourite and Pellegrino now odds on with a number of bookies.

nyclaret
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by nyclaret » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:39 pm

It's quite funny seeing everyone panic about absolutely nothing. If you could put a bet on Dyche not going to Palace, I would stick my house on it. Move on. It's not happening!

simonclaret
Been Liked: 265 times
Has Liked: 3610 times

Post by simonclaret » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:47 pm

nyclaret wrote:It's quite funny seeing everyone panic about absolutely nothing. If you could put a bet on Dyche not going to Palace, I would stick my house on it. Move on. It's not happening!
I'm sure you could lay it on a betting exchange if you're that confident... although the chances of people matching the value of your house are slim.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:48 pm

nyclaret wrote:It's quite funny seeing everyone panic about absolutely nothing. If you could put a bet on Dyche not going to Palace, I would stick my house on it. Move on. It's not happening!
Jimmy Mullen once said he'd have put his house on Liam Robinson scoring - that could have been a big mistake.

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1831 times
Has Liked: 2633 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:54 pm

What I find rather strange is the attitude that some fans have in that the club 'owns' Sean Dyche. He is an employee on a contract which can be terminated by either side and who has performed far in excess of expectations and, because of his management, the club is in a far better situation than it was when he was appointed manager. His business acumen and professional conduct have been exemplary.
When he does make the decision to leave he will go with my thanks for a job well done.
These 7 users liked this post: ClaretTony bobinho box_of_frogs simonclaret SussexDon1inIreland Silkyskills1 PaintYorkClaretnBlue

mkmel
Been Liked: 1271 times
Has Liked: 2250 times

Post by mkmel » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:59 pm

ExistentialWanderer wrote:WOW! 21 pages. I've perused some and to be honest, no disrespect to the Palace fan on here, but it would be a backwards move. Why would he leave us to join Palace? History aside where we come up trumps. You may argue Kettering is closer to there than here, but if so you have never been on the M25!

He doesn't live in Kettering he lives in Northampton and he can catch the train down to London and return that same evening to his home and Family

That could play a significant part in his decision that's if he is considering the managers position at Crystal Palace.

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2220 times
Has Liked: 2211 times

Post by fidelcastro » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:00 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Jimmy Mullen once said he'd have put his house on Liam Robinson scoring - that could have been a big mistake.
Wasn't that after Robinson was fouled by Neil Ruddock? (who was subsequently sent off).

I was there that night and I wouldn't have put tuppence on Robinson scoring. :shock:

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:03 pm

fidelcastro wrote:Wasn't that after Robinson was fouled by Neil Ruddock? (who was subsequently sent off).

I was there that night and I wouldn't have put tuppence on Robinson scoring. :shock:
It was, and neither would I have wagered that much on Robinson scoring. :D
This user liked this post: fidelcastro

UpTheBeehole

Post by UpTheBeehole » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:10 pm

mkmel wrote:He doesn't live in Kettering he lives in Northampton and he can catch the train down to London and return that same evening to his home and Family

That could play a significant part in his decision that's if he is considering the managers position at Crystal Palace.
To get to Palace's training ground for around 8am, he'd have to get on the 05:46 train from Northampton. For 9am the 06:41.

Nice to see you're still being pedantic over Kettering/Northampton, which is like arguing the toss between Burnley and Accrington.

mkmel
Been Liked: 1271 times
Has Liked: 2250 times

Post by mkmel » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:16 pm

Living in Northampton he has a train station as good as on his doorstep whereas as far as I can recall there isn't one in Kettering.

That is why I mentioned about him living in Northampton itself

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2351 times
Has Liked: 3181 times

Post by Paul Waine » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:21 pm

mkmel wrote:Living in Northampton he has a train station as good as on his doorstep whereas as far as I can recall there isn't one in Kettering.

That is why I mentioned about him living in Northampton itself
It's about time he moved house if he lives that close to the rail station. Must be noisy at night. ;)

SD will be a lot nearer his job next season if he buys/rents a house in the Ribble Valley.

UpTheBeehole

Post by UpTheBeehole » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:21 pm

To assume a Premier League football manager would rely on the train to get him to work each day is little more than fanciful anyway.

Even driving would be over 200 miles a day, through the worst rush hour traffic in the whole country.

The idea he'd take the Palace job because it would enable him to live at home is also fanciful.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:23 pm

UpTheBeehole wrote:To get to Palace's training ground for around 8am, he'd have to get on the 05:46 train from Northampton. For 9am the 06:41.

Nice to see you're still being pedantic over Kettering/Northampton, which is like arguing the toss between Burnley and Accrington.
If he were to drive to their training ground it wouldn't be easy either (basically taking forever in the morning as he would have to navigate the roads around Beckenham).

UpTheBeehole

Post by UpTheBeehole » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:28 pm

Spijed wrote:If he were to drive to their training ground it wouldn't be easy either (basically taking forever in the morning as he would have to navigate the roads around Beckenham).
All my distances/times were worked out to the training ground

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3604 times
Has Liked: 1032 times

Post by jedi_master » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:36 pm

Not sure how much faith people place in Alan Nixon, but he has been a reliable source of info about our club down the years and absolutely has a source at the Turf...

He has just said Dyche is staying at Burnley.

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:40 pm

...Now will you believe me :)