Dyche ------->Palace

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
mkmel
Been Liked: 1271 times
Has Liked: 2256 times

Re: Dyche ------->Palace

Post by mkmel » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:41 pm

UpTheBeehole wrote:To assume a Premier League football manager would rely on the train to get him to work each day is little more than fanciful anyway.

Even driving would be over 200 miles a day, through the worst rush hour traffic in the whole country.

The idea he'd take the Palace job because it would enable him to live at home is also fanciful.

I have never said that he would take the Palace job solely as it would enable him to live at home.

That has to be factored into it of course with him living away from home for long periods for the last 5 years.
And combine that with a higher wage a bigger transfer budget and maybe a new challenge

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32584 times
Has Liked: 5288 times

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:45 pm

jedi_master wrote:Not sure how much faith people place in Alan Nixon, but he has been a reliable source of info about our club down the years and absolutely has a source at the Turf...

He has just said Dyche is staying at Burnley.
I was at a meeting at the club a couple of years ago. At the time Nixon was claiming we were going to sign a particular player but we were told that he was wide of the mark with his latest one. We signed the player a week later.

minnieclaret
Been Liked: 2012 times
Has Liked: 2287 times

Post by minnieclaret » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:55 pm

UpTheBeehole wrote:To get to Palace's training ground for around 8am, he'd have to get on the 05:46 train from Northampton. For 9am the 06:41.
with a 40k watch I'm sure SD would be there on time,I'd not be as confident about the train.
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:57 pm

jedi_master wrote:Not sure how much faith people place in Alan Nixon, but he has been a reliable source of info about our club down the years and absolutely has a source at the Turf...

He has just said Dyche is staying at Burnley.
It's obvious that Nixon does speak to someone at the club from time to time, yet I'm surprised the club haven't tried to put a stop to it as you'd have thought they have an idea as to who it is.

Commy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 43 times

Post by Commy » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:13 pm

I think his info comes from agents not inside club knowledge.

D8BFC
Been Liked: 93 times
Has Liked: 80 times

Post by D8BFC » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:21 pm

I aint so sure - i think he's fed information from pretty good sources from within the club.

His "success" rate on what he has said about us over the past 12 months has been very high.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:30 pm

South West Claret. wrote:...Now will you believe me :)
And me.....
This user liked this post: South West Claret.

Commy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 43 times

Post by Commy » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:36 pm

He gets more right than wrong with almost every club. I'm sure he can't have someone 'inside' every club. It has to be agents giving him most of the info.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:39 pm

D8BFC wrote:I aint so sure - i think he's fed information from pretty good sources from within the club.
He certainly was between November 2007 and January 2010 :D

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3814 times
Has Liked: 1072 times

Post by KRBFC » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:54 pm

Alan Nixon has been the best source for info about us. He's always pretty much bang on and has been for the past 10 years.

claretlegend
Been Liked: 108 times
Has Liked: 36 times

Post by claretlegend » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:58 pm

I hope he's right on this occasion. Says something he heard last night suggests Dyche is staying.

northeastclaret
Been Liked: 311 times
Has Liked: 199 times

Post by northeastclaret » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:58 pm

Nixon is well connected to many agents and even gets the odd backhander from them when he' assists' with a deal.

northeastclaret
Been Liked: 311 times
Has Liked: 199 times

Post by northeastclaret » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:02 pm

'I hope he's right on this occasion. Says something he heard last night suggests Dyche is staying.'

He actually heard he was going to the Palace , but that was to be knighted in 2020 as Sir Sean Dyche for services to Burnley.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4145 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:09 pm

northeastclaret wrote:'I hope he's right on this occasion. Says something he heard last night suggests Dyche is staying.'

He actually heard he was going to the Palace , but that was to be knighted in 2020 as Sir Sean Dyche for services to Burnley.
That joke must have been recycled 3 times on this thread alone :lol:
These 3 users liked this post: ClaretTony Holtyclaret Cornwallclaret

LaLigaClaret
Been Liked: 191 times
Has Liked: 34 times

Post by LaLigaClaret » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:59 pm

Time to calm down and rationalise things.

Yes Dyche will go to another club at some stage of his career. Yes he will want to prove himself at another club in the Prem. He might or might not be motivated by receiving more money but somehow I doubt this and I am sure we will be offering him a substantial uplift and he has accepted previous deals with us. He would love a much bigger transfer budget but what manager wouldn't. The Board has given him plenty of support in regard to recruitment in the season just ended having broken the club transfer record several times. I am sure his budget will be higher than last time plus there is the potential for additional transfer income from possible sales of a number of our players being considered by other teams.

The more worrying aspect for me is the fact that Keane wants to move, Defour and Grey are alleged to be wanting a move and Boyd wouldn't sign a new contract which might suggest something is going on at the club we aren't aware of. However it might be that Keane, Defour and Grey think they can earn more elsewhere because of our wage structure and Boyd might not want Prem football as he could be less likely to be first choice this year at the club.

Now the plus points.

Palace have been perennial strugglers for a fair while now despite having there so-called stars. They aren't exactly a leap above us in terms of a manager like Dyche wanting to prove himself. If you think of the Prem they don't exactly jump into anyone's idea of a top half team and I am sure Dyche would want to go to a team that had a realistic prospect of at least achieving that. The Chairman is a bit trigger happy over getting rid of managers if there not successful despite all his talk of wanting someone long term to build success. They go through managers pretty quickly even when they had a far higher profile than Dyche. Being sacked at Palace would not enhance the CV of Dyche but instead could write him off as a Prem manager altogether unless he managed to get a Championship team promoted which is not certain. The owners are even more impatient for success so any tenure might be short.

There are rumours that the wage bill at Palace is out of control and needs to be drastically cut, not a good start for any incoming manager. There are rumours over budget restrictions this year so again not a good start for a new manager and of course what would the guarantees be for the following season. Some so-called stars might have to go and again this is not a good start or they might just ease there way through on a huge wage until their contract ends. Palace fans are not convinced about Dyche so might rapidly turn against him if they struggle.

Burnley still have plans to improve and upgrade the ground, new training facilities based on Dyche's own ideas have not long opened. We have recruited an improved European scouting team. The Board have hinted that foreign investment might be forthcoming sooner rather than later thus opening up the idea of there being more funds available in the future. Dyche knows the club have been loyal to him and believe in him. He knows the fans adore him. He knows the town are fully behind him and he is building a dynasty at the club. It is a club that whilst being very difficult to recruit players to is able to attract better quality players increasingly and he has the chance to establish the club as a Prem team and not just a yo-yo team.

Remember there was a small gap in points from us to the top 8 last year and for Dyche if we get relegated its not so negative for his cv as it would be for being relegated at Palace and of course he would earn even more praise if we stay up whereas at Palace it might be a case of meh so-so it was expected if they stay up. Finally Dyche hasn't been interviewed by them yet and it is likely that the other two main candidates were higher in the pecking order than him and there is also the rumour that Woyboy was seen in a London hotel chatting to the Palace Chairman a couple of days ago. So don't worry just yet.
Last edited by LaLigaClaret on Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

claretblue
Been Liked: 1836 times
Has Liked: 962 times

Post by claretblue » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:00 am

Latest article from The Mirror:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.mirror ... 655121.amp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:56 am

Written by David Anderson...Who he?

Stockbrokerbelt
Been Liked: 229 times
Has Liked: 137 times

Post by Stockbrokerbelt » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:07 am

Big fat Sam only cares about big fat Sam so he has left Palace because he knows there is an issue with wages & budget or he has more skeletons in his cupboard that has pushed him to leave? Hopefully Dyche will not leave but with 2 jobs Palace & Southampton going who would you say is the bigger club?

Winstonswhite
Been Liked: 611 times
Has Liked: 311 times

Post by Winstonswhite » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:09 am

We were "fighting relegation to League One" when Dyche took over? Really?

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:11 am

Nothing new in that is there?

Firthy
Been Liked: 1613 times
Has Liked: 278 times

Post by Firthy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:16 am

claretblue wrote:Latest article from The Mirror:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.mirror ... 655121.amp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If anything convinces me that he's not going anywhere it's that article :D

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:24 am

Winstonswhite wrote:We were "fighting relegation to League One" when Dyche took over? Really?
We did find ourselves in a relegation battle in that first season but only because it was a strange season when we still weren't safe with 55 points and two games to go. We were 16th when Eddie Howe with the same number of points as Birmingham who were 21st. But that was after just 10 games and there is no relegation battle at that point in a season.

It was those last few nervous games although we never went closer than three points from 22nd and I'd certainly not agree that w were fighting relegation when he took over.

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:30 am

South West Claret. wrote:Written by David Anderson...Who he?
An apprentice can I take it?

Reecey1987
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Reecey1987 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:44 am

Hopefully once this situation is resolved we can start looking at getting a few through the door . Most of the premiership clubs are starting to get busy

ablueclaret
Been Liked: 403 times
Has Liked: 50 times

Time to sack SD?

Post by ablueclaret » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:58 am

Time for the Board to give SD an ultimatum, decide by this weekend or pack your bags. This club needs someone at the helm, it hasn't the luxury of waiting on events. If we want to remain a Premier League side the Board need to act now and make things happen.
Time is not on our side.

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1832 times
Has Liked: 2636 times

Re: Time to sack SD?

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:02 am

So you are advocating sacking someone because of newspaper rumours --interesting.
This user liked this post: minnieclaret

Reecey1987
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Reecey1987 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:04 am

Ashingtonclaret46 wrote:So you are advocating sacking someone because of newspaper rumours --interesting.
There is bound to be some truth in it somewere down the line

dsr
Been Liked: 4582 times
Has Liked: 2272 times

Post by dsr » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:13 am

LaLigaClaret wrote:The more worrying aspect for me is the fact that Keane wants to move, Defour and Grey are alleged to be wanting a move and Boyd wouldn't sign a new contract which might suggest something is going on at the club we aren't aware of. However it might be that Keane, Defour and Grey think they can earn more elsewhere because of our wage structure and Boyd might not want Prem football as he could be less likely to be first choice this year at the club.
I wouldn't worry about Keane wanting to move. How many England internationals are there who wouldn't rather play in the Champions League? How many England internationals are there who don't think they can earn more at Chelsea than at Burnley? There's no point worrying about players considering a top-6 side being more attractive than Burnley. Defour isn't being picked, Boyd wants a two year deal, and the reports of Gray wanting a move are so intangible that they can surely be ignored. Gray wants a new contract is more of the story, I reckon.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:16 am

LaLigaClaret wrote:The more worrying aspect for me is the fact that Keane wants to move, Defour and Grey are alleged to be wanting a move and Boyd wouldn't sign a new contract which might suggest something is going on at the club we aren't aware of. However it might be that Keane, Defour and Grey think they can earn more elsewhere because of our wage structure and Boyd might not want Prem football as he could be less likely to be first choice this year at the club.
Nothing worrying there at all for me.

Keane - England international, sought by top clubs in the country. He probably needs to move on to further his career.
Defour - Not a problem if he goes given he doesn't play much and has too many injuries.
Gray - Not seen any suggestions of him wanting a move.
Boyd - He's out of contract and probably sees himself no longer being a first team starter.

1914tyrone
Been Liked: 48 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by 1914tyrone » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:17 am

Was discussed briefly on talk sport this morning about 7.30 on my way to work. They were of the opinion that Dyche being the one for Palace was moving closer. Though they did not give any insight into their reasoning.

Walt
Been Liked: 113 times
Has Liked: 148 times

Post by Walt » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:27 am

Ablue has a point to an extent if there is a possibility of Palace happening we need to be forcing the situation so we can move forward asap with pre season fast approaching.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2837 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:27 am

:!:
ablueclaret wrote:Time for the Board to give SD an ultimatum, decide by this weekend or pack your bags. This club needs someone at the helm, it hasn't the luxury of waiting on events. If we want to remain a Premier League side the Board need to act now and make things happen.
Time is not on our side.
Apart from anything else, this probably isnt a sackable offence if it has been done correctly. Any more than it would be a sackable offence for me to to apply for another job tomorrow.

Clearly, the right answer here is for burnley's board to make Dyche as good an offer as we possibly can in terms of both personal remuneration and playing budget to achieve more success with burnley, without skimping. If that isnt good enough, then that's life.

That Mirror report is a bit of a climb down and i still think the lack of journalists really claiming to know what is going on, with such information as there is seemingly leaking from Palace's end, suggests to me this is still all a bit speculative. Its been like that for longer than i'd expect if Dyche genuinely were right on the cusp of leaving.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:33 am

claretspice wrote:That Mirror report is a bit of a climb down and i still think the lack of journalists really claiming to know what is going on, with such information as there is seemingly leaking from Palace's end, suggests to me this is still all a bit speculative. Its been like that for longer than i'd expect if Dyche genuinely were right on the cusp of leaving.
Very little.

I posted the tweet from Ed Malyon (Independent). He seemingly has more than a passing interest in Palace and on Monday evening tweeted: "Sean Dyche back from holiday and pressing ahead with transfer business for Burnley today. Onlookers convinced he's not a man leaving the club"

That was followed up by Alan Nixon yesterday who tweeted: "Dyche is staying at Burnley."

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:35 am

Walt wrote:Ablue has a point to an extent if there is a possibility of Palace happening we need to be forcing the situation so we can move forward asap with pre season fast approaching.
He has no point at all, other than he being someone who has been pushing for Dyche to be sacked for virtually all of the time he's been at Burnley.

The point is that Sean Dyche is our manager. If we get an approach from Palace to speak to him re their vacancy then things change. Until then we continue to move forward with Dyche who remains very much involved in the planning as has always been the case.
This user liked this post: dsr

Walt

Post by Walt » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:35 am

Garlick said we are very likely to be spending more so there's no doubt we're backing Dyche.

If that isn't good enough then I'd agree with Spice, that's life.

Thank him for all he's done and move on. Let's hope this doesn't turn out to be the case.

Walt

Post by Walt » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:38 am

ClaretTony wrote:He has no point at all, other than he being someone who has been pushing for Dyche to be sacked for virtually all of the time he's been at Burnley.

The point is that Sean Dyche is our manager. If we get an approach from Palace to speak to him re their vacancy then things change. Until then we continue to move forward with Dyche who remains very much involved in the planning as has always been the case.
I'm certainly no advocate of Dyche leaving but there is a tipping point where any possible departure dragging on is massively detrimental to our preparation.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:45 am

Walt wrote:I'm certainly no advocate of Dyche leaving but there is a tipping point where any possible departure dragging on is massively detrimental to our preparation.
I couldn't agree more, but the club are pressing on with recruitment (the main objective at this point) with reports that Dyche is as active and committed as ever to it. So inside the club I'm not sure anything is dragging on. If the worst came to the worst, I'm hopeful we'll be far better prepared than Palace seem to have been in terms of recruiting a new manager.

dsr

Post by dsr » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:47 am

Walt wrote:I'm certainly no advocate of Dyche leaving but there is a tipping point where any possible departure dragging on is massively detrimental to our preparation.
Will this situation matter more than the Sunderland situation two years ago? That turned out all right.

Anyway, even if the possible departure is detrimental, is it more detrimental than having no manager at all and having to try and sign a replacement as good as Sean Dyche? OK, so the current situation may not be perfect - but if you think that sacking Sean Dyche would improve things, then I reckon you're wrong.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:49 am

Its the only time of year where losing a manager isn't the end of the world. We'd have time to sort things out.

But if he's off, the quicker its done the better.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1927 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:51 am

It wouldn't surprise me if he was suddenly appointed there. We know he likes to keep things quite and out if the public eye.

During the up coming season they'll be at least 4/5 sackings. Sooner or later he'll be on the top of a few clubs shortlists. He might be better now, rather than say December

dsr

Post by dsr » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:51 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Its the only time of year where losing a manager isn't the end of the world. We'd have time to sort things out.

But if he's off, the quicker its done the better.
That's clearly true. But it's a big step to go from "if my house catches fire, it's better when the family's out of the way and the fire brigade aren't busy" to "pass me the matches".

Holtyclaret
Been Liked: 346 times
Has Liked: 1574 times

Post by Holtyclaret » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:52 am

Winstonswhite wrote:We were "fighting relegation to League One" when Dyche took over? Really?
We were certainly drifting that way.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:53 am

Definitely dsr, ablue is talking drivel as usual

Holtyclaret

Post by Holtyclaret » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:55 am

1914tyrone wrote:Was discussed briefly on talk sport this morning about 7.30 on my way to work. They were of the opinion that Dyche being the one for Palace was moving closer. Though they did not give any insight into their reasoning.
Heard that too, a couple of times this week. I think they were just reacting to the Mirror story. Weird they barely mentioned it a couple of weeks when Sean was odds on favorite. All seems a little unsubstantiated to me but I do wish Palace would just sort it out, seems unusually slow for them.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3170 times
Has Liked: 6788 times

Post by boatshed bill » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:57 am

ClaretTony wrote:I couldn't agree more, but the club are pressing on with recruitment (the main objective at this point) with reports that Dyche is as active and committed as ever to it. So inside the club I'm not sure anything is dragging on. If the worst came to the worst, I'm hopeful we'll be far better prepared than Palace seem to have been in terms of recruiting a new manager.
Does this mean that the recruitment people are actually choosing who we sign, regardless of who is manager?

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2019 times
Has Liked: 2915 times

Post by elwaclaret » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:57 am

It strikes me there are more than one or two posters on here would be delighted to see SD leave; not because they don't think its best for the club if he continues the work he has started in all aspects of the club, but because they would rather have a drama to pick sides and comment on.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:57 am

boatshed bill wrote:Does this mean that the recruitment people are actually choosing who we sign, regardless of who is manager?
Dyche is the manager and he's playing a leading role

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2625 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:00 am

Aside from comparative travel times across the UK rail and motorway networks in the south of England, there's not much to be gleaned from this thread. It's a long summer though and it's a gentler read than the politics shizzle.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3170 times
Has Liked: 6788 times

Post by boatshed bill » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:01 am

ClaretTony wrote:Dyche is the manager and he's playing a leading role
OK. I just wondered if there was a slight change of policy with regard to bringing players in.

Holtyclaret

Post by Holtyclaret » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:01 am

Reecey1987 wrote:There is bound to be some truth in it somewere down the line
I think the only truth in it could be that the Palace board have made a list of potential new managers and seans on that list.

I might draw up a list for potential new wives but it doesn't mean it will come to fruition.

1) Rachel Riley
2) New lady in the office
3) Woman at the local cafe
4) Any of the ladies on Sky Sports News

etc etc etc ............
:D
This user liked this post: JimmyRobbo