How has your life benefitted from a Conservative Gov?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
wickdkewlclaret
Been Liked: 141 times
Has Liked: 81 times

How has your life benefitted from a Conservative Gov?

Post by wickdkewlclaret » Thu May 25, 2017 8:08 am

Leading up to the election I would like to know, how has your life benefitted from a Conservative Gov?

I ask because I am struggling to what benefits they have brought to society.

Unfortunately because of this I only have cons as follows.

Recently my grandparents have had to seek private healthcare at a great cost because of the extraordinary waiting times for scans.

They have cut police spending by 22% and halved the amount of armed guards, which in situations like 22.05.17, limits increased protection to the public.

I have never seen the roads in such an appaling state as they are in now.

My old local primary school can not afford a new classroom, so it is left to the community to crowd fund it, which is a disgrace.

The coat of living is rising, but wages are not following suit resulting in a drop in GDP.

This is just a few points, but there is more.

Can somone give me a success story on how the Con Gov has benefitted there lives? Thank you.
These 2 users liked this post: PaintYorkClaretnBlue Clarethalffull

starting_11
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 837 times

Re: How has your life benefitted from a Conservative Gov?

Post by starting_11 » Thu May 25, 2017 8:11 am

We have food to eat and the country hasn't gone bankrupt yet... which is more than you could wish for with the other team.
These 5 users liked this post: tim_noone dpinsussex Damo lovebeingaclaret ClaretMoffitt

Juan Tanamera
Been Liked: 771 times
Has Liked: 10099 times

Post by Juan Tanamera » Thu May 25, 2017 8:18 am

starting_11 wrote:We have food to eat and the country hasn't gone bankrupt yet... which is more than you could wish for with the other team.
Absolute tosh.
This user liked this post: Claret-On-A-T-Rex

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu May 25, 2017 8:20 am

starting_11 wrote:We have food to eat and the country hasn't gone bankrupt yet... which is more than you could wish for with the other team.

:lol: But remember guys, it's the left that scaremonger.
These 2 users liked this post: Goodclaret Claret-On-A-T-Rex

Sidney1st
Been Liked: 3548 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Sidney1st » Thu May 25, 2017 8:25 am

Very little changes for me personally, regardless of who's in charge.

I go to work, pay my taxes and look after my family, that's it.

Roads have been rubbish for years, the NHS has been in decline for a long time now and Schools don't really change too much either.
Council's have been generally crap with or without money.

Cost of living always rises, house prices always seem very high (usually followed by a crash which seems to happen once a decade), fuel costs continue to increase and it all happens regardless of who's in charge.

You're looking for an answer that probably isn't there, but you could ask me the same question during Labour's tenure and I'd give you the same answer.
I won't be the only person who feels like this and it's why lots of people don't bother voting, because they don't see any massive changes in their day to day lives.
These 4 users liked this post: Chip Harrison tim_noone Bertiebeehead BertiesBeehole

claretdom
Been Liked: 1693 times
Has Liked: 193 times

Post by claretdom » Thu May 25, 2017 8:27 am

Having a Tory government means we don't have people like Corbyn, Abbott, Rachel Long Bailey or Angela Rayner

minnieclaret
Been Liked: 2012 times
Has Liked: 2287 times

Post by minnieclaret » Thu May 25, 2017 8:28 am

I've never been on strike under a tory government.
The first time, under Callaghan, the whole country was up sh1t creek.
The second, under Blair, we should have been paid what we were worth. He was just on a power trip showing the country he'd stand up against the unions.

The harm the tories have done to public services I could still never vote for them.
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone PaintYorkClaretnBlue

Falcon
Been Liked: 894 times
Has Liked: 1172 times

Post by Falcon » Thu May 25, 2017 8:29 am

Well since 2010 election I bought a house, got married and made good progress in my career. Technically my life has benefitted under a Conservative government. However, unless I had wanted a homosexual marriage (which Cameron brought in) I'd have done exactly as well under any government.

I know plenty of people who are worse off because of this government's policies. I am a lucky one.
These 2 users liked this post: Sidney1st Belial

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Thu May 25, 2017 8:36 am

And special places like the ever growing food banks for people to eat this food. Lucky us.
These 3 users liked this post: Juan Tanamera fatboy47 Anonymous

Hipper
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Post by Hipper » Thu May 25, 2017 8:51 am

My life has been OK under this government, as it was under Labour and the Coalition. I put this down to Gordon Brown's bailing out of the banks and the Coalition stabilising things (perhaps GB could have done this too).

This election though is different from recent ones as it is affected by two major issues: Brexit, and a radical Labour Party.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Post by Hipper » Thu May 25, 2017 8:52 am

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:And special places like the ever growing food banks for people to eat this food. Lucky us.
People eat food in food banks?

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu May 25, 2017 8:54 am

At the risk of taking this off topic, what is it about Labour that's 'radical'?

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2637 times
Has Liked: 6468 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Thu May 25, 2017 9:04 am

One benefit is that my dad was a teacher who was also the regional head of the NUT, so we had free holidays every year whilst he went to conferences around the country to fight the union cause against Maggie's Tory government.

Oh, and he managed to retire at 55 with a half decent pension and a golden handshake because he had become too expensive for the school to employ when the Tory cuts hit the schools. Obviously, he went back as a supply teacher for a few years and also did private tutoring as well so he could fit into the Tory ideology. He's 80 now, and suffering with poor health and paying for his own care out of his good pension, he doesn't see a problem with paying his way.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Thu May 25, 2017 9:13 am

Sidney1st wrote:Very little changes for me personally, regardless of who's in charge.

I go to work, pay my taxes and look after my family, that's it.

Roads have been rubbish for years, the NHS has been in decline for a long time now and Schools don't really change too much either.
Council's have been generally crap with or without money.

Cost of living always rises, house prices always seem very high (usually followed by a crash which seems to happen once a decade), fuel costs continue to increase and it all happens regardless of who's in charge.

You're looking for an answer that probably isn't there, but you could ask me the same question during Labour's tenure and I'd give you the same answer.
I won't be the only person who feels like this and it's why lots of people don't bother voting, because they don't see any massive changes in their day to day lives.
I couldn't have put it better. But I will add I seemed to have prospered under the conservatives and then struggled financially when labour have been in power..

jlup1980
Been Liked: 859 times
Has Liked: 531 times

Post by jlup1980 » Thu May 25, 2017 9:15 am

Cost of living has increased significantly. Cost of housing has increased equally as significantly. Wages for lower end earners have stagnated. The already rich in the City of London continue to live in a different economical climate to the rest of us. Immigration hasn't been reduced as promised; in fact it's gone the other way. Food banks are needed more than ever. Other than that they've done a sterling job.
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone PaintYorkClaretnBlue

Rick_Muller

Post by Rick_Muller » Thu May 25, 2017 9:18 am

tim_noone wrote:I couldn't have put it better. But I will add I seemed to have prospered under the conservatives and then struggled financially when labour have been in power..
What do you do for a living Tim - I ask because I experienced the opposite to you but my working life since 2002 has primarily been in public services sector, so the labour years were good for me (Agenda for Change pay rises in the NHS for example and investment at work), whereas since the coalition and Tory government it has just been cuts and more cuts and not been able to progress up any pay scale because the funding isn't available.

Prior to 2002 I was working for MB Group (who used to be Lucas Aerospace on Heasandford).

EDIT - I'll echo that I also agree with much of Sid's post too
This user liked this post: Sidney1st

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Thu May 25, 2017 9:31 am

Painter and decorator for many years. The 2008 was the worst time not sure if labour were still in but it but a strain on my life big time....was it the end of there tenure I'm unsure?

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Thu May 25, 2017 9:32 am

2008 crash.

COYC73
Been Liked: 82 times
Has Liked: 130 times

Post by COYC73 » Thu May 25, 2017 9:35 am

Imploding Turtle wrote:At the risk of taking this off topic, what is it about Labour that's 'radical'?
:roll:
This user liked this post: dermotdermot

Chobulous
Been Liked: 955 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by Chobulous » Thu May 25, 2017 9:44 am

It hasn't

CaptJohn
Been Liked: 468 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Post by CaptJohn » Thu May 25, 2017 10:04 am

Perhaps all of our lives have benefitted in some way because we are finally learning to live within our means as a country. We can't really afford the NHS in it's present form and the social system is long overdue a shakeup. TM in the Tory manifesto is trying her best to wean many off the gravy train they have become so used to, that they think it is their right. I'd love for a party to actually tell the truth in their manifesto and put forward a balanced budget. Unfortunately it would be political suicide because we as a nation are too used to our freebies, even if it is completely unsustainable.
These 6 users liked this post: Sidney1st Lancasterclaret tim_noone COYC73 dpinsussex Claretrew

martin_p
Been Liked: 3768 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Thu May 25, 2017 10:08 am

CaptJohn wrote:Perhaps all of our lives have benefitted in some way because we are finally learning to live within our means as a country. We can't really afford the NHS in it's present form and the social system is long overdue a shakeup. TM in the Tory manifesto is trying her best to wean many off the gravy train they have become so used to, that they think it is their right. I'd love for a party to actually tell the truth in their manifesto and put forward a balanced budget. Unfortunately it would be political suicide because we as a nation are too used to our freebies, even if it is completely unsustainable.
The only gravy train left untouched is the one that allows the rich and big companies to find clever ways of not paying tax that is due. Perhaps if that was tackled we'd be living within our means already!
These 5 users liked this post: tim_noone RoystonVasey Dom If it be your will Claret-On-A-T-Rex

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Thu May 25, 2017 10:17 am

Labours kinnock and his many index linked pensions between him and his wife doesn't sit comfortably with me. And Tory Bliar I can't find words other than he's left the world in a right mess...while counting his money. I'd rather be p!ss poor and rely on food banks than be like him.

starting_11
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 837 times

Post by starting_11 » Thu May 25, 2017 10:32 am

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:And special places like the ever growing food banks for people to eat this food. Lucky us.
So they DO have food... whats your problem?
This user liked this post: tim_noone

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2327 times
Has Liked: 2702 times

Post by fatboy47 » Thu May 25, 2017 10:44 am

Successive right wing governments enabled me to retire at 53, having made it so simple to make a soft income playing around with money on various investment platforms. Incredibly easy for anyone with an IQ beyond single figures...totally suited to a lazy decadent hedonist such as me.

Quite funny watching all the proles knocking their pans out whilst swallowing all the Daily Mail crap about the evil Corbyn etc.......They'll get what they deserve.
This user liked this post: If it be your will

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu May 25, 2017 11:00 am

A hell of a lot of what you benefit or gain from various Governments doesn't comes from yourself.

If you are working your arse off, and still struggling to live, then something isn't right somewhere. Whether that will get better with either govt is debatable to be perfectly honest, we've been living beyond our means for far too long to be perfectly honest.
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone timshorts

COYC73
Been Liked: 82 times
Has Liked: 130 times

Post by COYC73 » Thu May 25, 2017 11:02 am

I know for a FACT that many people who use the foods banks are not poor! They just live beyond their means.....Lots have the latest mobile phones with contracts, sky tv, smoke cigarettes etc etc etc.....that they refuse to give it up order to buy food! They are not poor....they just have p1ss poor money management!!! People need to learn to live within their means and buy staple food before luxuries!

Mala591
Been Liked: 685 times
Has Liked: 429 times

Post by Mala591 » Thu May 25, 2017 11:06 am

Stable economy
Low (near zero) inflation
Personal tax free allowance increasing to £11,500
Increase in real ale micro-pubs
Burnley FC in premier league

What more could you want?

dpinsussex
Been Liked: 1047 times
Has Liked: 1187 times

Post by dpinsussex » Thu May 25, 2017 11:07 am

fatboy47 wrote:Successive right wing governments enabled me to retire at 53.
Creating another job for a youngster to take up.

:)

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Thu May 25, 2017 11:08 am

Mala591 wrote:Stable economy
Low (near zero) inflation
Personal tax free allowance increasing to £11,500
Increase in real ale micro-pubs
Burnley FC in premier league

What more could you want?
Rovers to drop down the leagues.......... oh wait.
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

dpinsussex

Post by dpinsussex » Thu May 25, 2017 11:09 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:A hell of a lot of what you benefit or gain from various Governments doesn't comes from yourself.

If you are working your arse off, and still struggling to live, then something isn't right somewhere. Whether that will get better with either govt is debatable to be perfectly honest, we've been living beyond our means for far too long to be perfectly honest.

Correct.

If it isnt working for you then bloody well do something about it and stop feeling downtrodden and sorry for yourself.
Its in your own hands to make your life a success.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu May 25, 2017 11:10 am

You could never tell you are going to vote Tory Dave! :-)
This user liked this post: dpinsussex

dpinsussex

Post by dpinsussex » Thu May 25, 2017 11:12 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:You could never tell you are going to vote Tory Dave! :-)
Already have Rich :)

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2603 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Thu May 25, 2017 11:51 am

COYC73 wrote:I know for a FACT that many people who use the foods banks are not poor! They just live beyond their means.....Lots have the latest mobile phones with contracts, sky tv, smoke cigarettes etc etc etc.....that they refuse to give it up order to buy food! They are not poor....they just have p1ss poor money management!!! People need to learn to live within their means and buy staple food before luxuries!
can you show us some facts to back up this ******** please?

there's no doubt there will be some people who abuse the system but given you generally need a referral to use most food banks, the majority of people using them will do so out of necessity.

BertiesBeehole
Been Liked: 57 times
Has Liked: 2485 times

Post by BertiesBeehole » Thu May 25, 2017 12:18 pm

More money due to the increase in tax free allowance

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3877 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu May 25, 2017 12:20 pm

By getting rid of 19000 police officers we get to see soldiers on the streets. Kids will love it.

Not an every day event by any means.

Rick_Muller

Post by Rick_Muller » Thu May 25, 2017 12:33 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:Not an every day event by any means.
not yet...

Belial
Been Liked: 382 times
Has Liked: 321 times

Post by Belial » Thu May 25, 2017 12:56 pm

Less money, more stress, more looking over your shoulder wondering whether your job will be the next that's cut, diffculty with working with business following the 'laissez faire' approach to dodge responsibility...

It did give me the oppportunity to snigger at Theresa May's fake chuckle that time in parliament though. Unfortunately I don't have the time these days to go out looking for foxes or badgers, or to worry about the concerns of fracking or climate change, because I'm always working to pay off my student loans

HiroshimaClaret
Been Liked: 746 times
Has Liked: 927 times

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Thu May 25, 2017 1:03 pm

My mind read `how has your life benefitted from being a Burnley fan!!!!!!!?????? That had me in cold sweats. An impossible question!

HiroshimaClaret
Been Liked: 746 times
Has Liked: 927 times

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Thu May 25, 2017 1:09 pm

COYC73 wrote:I know for a FACT that many people who use the foods banks are not poor! They just live beyond their means.....Lots have the latest mobile phones with contracts, sky tv, smoke cigarettes etc etc etc.....that they refuse to give it up order to buy food! They are not poor....they just have p1ss poor money management!!! People need to learn to live within their means and buy staple food before luxuries!
As ridiculous as it seems, mind-boggling in fact, every sane person if they are being honest would agree with your assertion. I lived in Liverpool for 3 or 4 years and as a Scouser would say (fantastic people by the way)..."they`re `avin a laf `lar". Spoon fed materialism to the masses.

It`s not even `keeping up with the Jones``. It is simply, `my right to have a 55" plasma TV`.

Sad and an awful indictment on society.
Last edited by HiroshimaClaret on Thu May 25, 2017 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joey is no kant
Been Liked: 14 times
Has Liked: 132 times

Post by Joey is no kant » Thu May 25, 2017 1:09 pm

It hasn't,and it will not if Theresa may is elected.

timshorts
Been Liked: 414 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by timshorts » Thu May 25, 2017 1:45 pm

dpinsussex wrote:Correct.

If it isnt working for you then bloody well do something about it and stop feeling downtrodden and sorry for yourself.
Its in your own hands to make your life a success.
I think he meant by "we've been living beyond our means for ages" he meant a collective "we" as a country, not just his own family. If he did then he's spot on.

As someone has rather more eloquently posted somewhere above, if any political party put forward the best manifesto for the Country that could ever be devised, the electorate wouldn't vote for it. They'd rather have the one that promises never to put taxes up and that n million extra was going to be put into the health service and education and that this was all going to be paid for by (insert at this point any of: reducing immigration/not paying p million to Brussels/reducing unemployment/a strong and stable economy/claiming tax from foreign companies that trade here/etc.). That's all as likely as Blackburn getting 2 successive promotions and getting to the Premier League despite being insolvent and having 15 points deducted each year.

We get what we pay for. We also get what we vote for.
These 2 users liked this post: Lancasterclaret dpinsussex

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1600 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Thu May 25, 2017 1:50 pm

Blair's government was a conservative group in disguise. Don't think he changed any of the previous Tory governments plans.
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone dougcollins

standishclarets
Been Liked: 26 times

Post by standishclarets » Thu May 25, 2017 3:43 pm

Having spent my working life in Financial Services, I always consider the UK Stock Markets as a viable barometer of how well a Government is doing. The FTSE 100 is currently at its highest point. This is important. Why - because so many people have stocks & shares in their pension arrangements (even without knowing). Buoyant stock markets are good for our economy and for dealing with institutions worldwide.That's what a Conservative Government delivers.

How many of you remember the Winter of Discontent in 1978/79? (not that many I guess!). That was the last time we had such left-wing policies. Eventually, the country was virtually being run by the Trade Unions, especially the NUM. We had continuous strikes - the country was in a real mess. Yes, the Labour Government at the time promised so many appealing policies but in a short time the Unions took over. I don't want to go back to those days, thank you.

If it be your will
Been Liked: 500 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by If it be your will » Thu May 25, 2017 4:31 pm

Last edited by If it be your will on Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

If it be your will

Post by If it be your will » Thu May 25, 2017 4:44 pm

Last edited by If it be your will on Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Thu May 25, 2017 4:46 pm

If it be your will wrote:But we could until now? How depressing is that?
Clearly we couldn't if they keep over running on their budgets......

keith1879
Been Liked: 262 times
Has Liked: 366 times

Post by keith1879 » Thu May 25, 2017 4:48 pm

Burnley have been promoted twice.

If it be your will

Post by If it be your will » Thu May 25, 2017 4:51 pm

Last edited by If it be your will on Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3169 times
Has Liked: 6772 times

Post by boatshed bill » Thu May 25, 2017 5:14 pm

It hasn't