Your memories of this day eight years ago at Wembley

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32405 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Your memories of this day eight years ago at Wembley

Post by ClaretTony » Thu May 25, 2017 8:46 am

Wembley - 25th May 2009.

Hard to believe it was eight years ago but this was the day we secured Premier League football for the first ever time. A magical day when we achieved something I never thought possible making it even more incredible seeing where we are now.

It's much, much better to go straight up, and even better to be champions, but what a fantastic day it was.

How do we all remember it.

Falcon
Been Liked: 892 times
Has Liked: 1169 times

Re: Your memories of this day eight years ago at Wembley

Post by Falcon » Thu May 25, 2017 8:49 am

What an amazing day for everyone involved in the club. Yes, it was much nicer to win the league last year, but to get promoted to the top division for the first time in my lifetime, at Wembley, backed by 40odd thousand Clarets, was something very, very special, and a day that I'll never forget.

What I always remember was the confidence I, and everyone else I travelled with, had that we would win. I simply had no doubts whatsoever that we would prevail. It just felt like it was meant to be and it is a feeling I've never experienced before or since.

Sidney1st
Been Liked: 3547 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Sidney1st » Thu May 25, 2017 8:52 am

I remember lots of odd little details from the day.

My main memory is of my mate standing there with tears of joy running down his face, it all got too much for him.
I've still got a picture of it, but he'd ring me and shout at me if I stuck it on here :lol:

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1766 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Thu May 25, 2017 8:54 am

I remember Clarke Carlisle being absolutely immense that day.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu May 25, 2017 8:54 am

Sidney1st wrote:I remember lots of odd little details from the day.

My main memory is of my mate standing there with tears of joy running down his face, it all got too much for him.
I've still got a picture of it, but he'd ring me and shout at me if I stuck it on here :lol:
I was just the same, thankfully no one took a photo of me but MDWat always refers to the puddle under my seat after the game.
These 4 users liked this post: Sidney1st tim_noone Steve1956 brunlea99

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Thu May 25, 2017 8:56 am

bit like today, sunny and warm. Uncomfortable seats on an ancient coach which spluttered its way to London in about 10 hours.
Fantastic atmosphere around wembley before the game. Feeling nervous and apprehensive about an hour before we went in.
Stunned at the prices for snacks and a beer !!!
Still recall vividly going into the ground and seeing the pitch from about 7,000 feet away at the top of the stand.
Totally absorbed by the game and the pure joy and sense of wonder at THAT goal, what a hit it was !!!!
Perfect, genuinley worthy of any final anywhere. Beautiful moment to be a Claret.
Rest of the game was agonising, partially due to arse ache from the trip down on the poor coach seat, but mainly the fear of Sheff scoring and ruining our day. Final whistle was mayhem, strangers hugging each other and smiles and tears.
Journey home was a blur, great day.

Im_not_Robbie_Blake
Been Liked: 383 times
Has Liked: 234 times

Post by Im_not_Robbie_Blake » Thu May 25, 2017 8:57 am

Mike Duff taking photos of the Burnley fans with the biggest grin on his face

Rammy1968
Been Liked: 94 times
Has Liked: 35 times

Post by Rammy1968 » Thu May 25, 2017 8:57 am

I like Falcon was confident we would win against Sheffield United that day. Beautiful sunshine all the way down to Wembley. Every service station crammed full of Clarets. My mates son in the back of the mini bus serving drinks all the way down. Not worrying at all even in the last 10 minutes with the slender lead I was just so confident we would win. Brilliant day for little old Burnley they have become the norm rather than the exception nowadays. So long in the dolldrums soak it up and enjoy it while it lasts. What a brilliant time to be a CLARET. UTC

Rammy1968
Been Liked: 94 times
Has Liked: 35 times

Post by Rammy1968 » Thu May 25, 2017 8:59 am

Mike Duff dancing
This user liked this post: lesxdp

beddie
Been Liked: 1406 times
Has Liked: 518 times

Post by beddie » Thu May 25, 2017 9:03 am

The Senior Citizen (lady)in the seat next to me whom I had not met before throwing her arms around me.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

WestMidsClaret
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 506 times

Post by WestMidsClaret » Thu May 25, 2017 9:06 am

I cried! I never thought I'd see us in the prem! I was so relaxed that day. At no point did I think united would beat us. Brilliant day.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3765 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Thu May 25, 2017 9:10 am

What I mainly remember is feeling physically sick during added on time. I've never been as nervous ever, and that includes exams, interviews, marriage and watching the birth of my son!

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2596 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Thu May 25, 2017 9:11 am

We went down from Sheffield, parked at their end of the stadium and walking through their fans it was mostly polite chat and fairly subdued. We got round to our side of Wembley and everyone was pi***d, half dressed, singing and celebrating. This was before the game.

Very unlike Burnley to be so confident before a big match, it was like a party in our end well before kick-off. Can't explain that now.

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2633 times
Has Liked: 6447 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Thu May 25, 2017 9:12 am

I remember being on holiday in Majorca watching the game on a big screen in the hotel bar wearing the Claret with my son surrounded by Rovers fans cheering on United, and even they were in awe at Wade's magnificent goal and they were congratulatory at the end of the game.

It was a nice escape for me, as a few weeks before I had been dismissed from my senior post in the NHS and I had no idea what I was going to do when we got home - spent a fortune on my credit card on that holiday to make it special for the kids, it was my last family holiday with them as by November 2009 the ex had decided she no longer wanted me in her life. That year was a big year all round, and how far we have come since then, both the club and myself.
These 2 users liked this post: Sidney1st HiroshimaClaret

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Thu May 25, 2017 9:26 am

Rick_Muller wrote:I remember being on holiday in Majorca watching the game on a big screen in the hotel bar wearing the Claret with my son surrounded by Rovers fans cheering on United, and even they were in awe at Wade's magnificent goal and they were congratulatory at the end of the game.

It was a nice escape for me, as a few weeks before I had been dismissed from my senior post in the NHS and I had no idea what I was going to do when we got home - spent a fortune on my credit card on that holiday to make it special for the kids, it was my last family holiday with them as by November 2009 the ex had decided she no longer wanted me in her life. That year was a big year all round, and how far we have come since then, both the club and myself.
Losing the job probably put a strain on everything ...same here but what a day,can't remember the drive back,fantastic day!
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Thu May 25, 2017 9:32 am

Scrambling around for tickets a few days before, and up popped DanteLeChunk, as a surprise/gift as he had got a new job (I think) and had got myself and another friend tickets.

The only problem then was.. getting there. On THE DAY we were ringing round pubs/clubs to find transport, luckily the Dugdale Arms had some spare seats, so we booked them and off we went.

Sat in a tiny little van, with big blokes we'd never met (we were only 20/21) and having to urinate in an old water cooler bottle. At least we had an abundance of cans of lager.

Amazing day, amazing experience, the game was fantastic (what I can remember of it).

I still have the old Holland's shirt and the Wembley Ticket in a frame just as a memento.
This user liked this post: Sidney1st

peter_nobles_fringe
Been Liked: 21 times

Post by peter_nobles_fringe » Thu May 25, 2017 9:32 am

getting on the wrong train after the game we were only going to Ruislip it was going to Birmingham!!
These 3 users liked this post: Sidney1st Rick_Muller FactualFrank

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Thu May 25, 2017 9:35 am

peter_nobles_fringe wrote:getting on the wrong train after the game we were only going to Ruislip it was going to Birmingham!!
:lol: :lol: I shouldn't laugh.

Sausage
Been Liked: 637 times
Has Liked: 441 times

Post by Sausage » Thu May 25, 2017 9:43 am

The collective shout of "How the f*** did he miss?" when Joey Guðjónsson missed THAT sitter.
This user liked this post: brunlea99

Chobulous
Been Liked: 955 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by Chobulous » Thu May 25, 2017 9:43 am

The coach stopping at the services at Birmingham at about 10pm. We got off to get a cup of coffee and were told by the driver to be back for 10:30. As we got back to where the coach should have been at 10:25 we saw it disappearing down the slip road back on to the M6. We had to bribe another coach driver to let us on his coach. Cost an extra £20.

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Thu May 25, 2017 9:45 am

I barely remember anything about the match itself. All my real memories of that come from watching the DVD later.
Two hours in the sunshine on Kilburn High Road, drinking Long Island Iced Teas made my memory really fuzzy.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu May 25, 2017 9:49 am

Going back up the M1, stuck next to a coach full of Sheffield United fans, one who kept waving a flag as us that said "Sheff United #1" on it.

This is AFTER the match! Mass **** taking from our car for the whole traffic jam.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Thu May 25, 2017 9:50 am

I remember my dad catching one of the coaches and on the way back he said he was stuck near the stadium for ages. He said,
"Had I known, I could have got off the coach, gone to a few pubs, got ****** out of my brains, come back and it still wouldn't have left the stadium".
These 2 users liked this post: Sidney1st tim_noone

CaptJohn
Been Liked: 468 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Post by CaptJohn » Thu May 25, 2017 9:53 am

The journey down the M6/M1 was probably one of my more vivid memories. Loads of Clarets in cars, coaches, taxis and even a stretched limo. The walk down Wembley Way from the tube was also very special and being photobombed by a Utd fan was also special in a strange sort of way. The final whistle though was my most memorable moment. My daughter and I both blubbering in tears with our arms around one another :D
This user liked this post: tim_noone

claretdom
Been Liked: 1693 times
Has Liked: 193 times

Post by claretdom » Thu May 25, 2017 10:00 am

Started the day hungover after one of the best days out the day before in Camden some of the sights that day were nothing compared to over 100 drunken northerners entertaining the locals in the bars.
Remember being puzzled with how loud, arrogant and so sure of promotion the blades fans seemed on the tube, but sadly they all seemed to go very quiet and well hidden after match to offer any sympathy.
Another drunken night followed then a few more on the train home next day.

claretabroad
Been Liked: 172 times
Has Liked: 23 times

Post by claretabroad » Thu May 25, 2017 10:03 am

The reaction of Sheff Utd fans after the game. It ranged from congratulations with a hearty handshake (a very classy thing to do) to head shaking and a mumble of "but we're a massive club". It still brings a smile to my face. Memories of the game are a blur though and I hadn't drunk anything, I was just incredibly nervous.

ChrisG
Been Liked: 330 times
Has Liked: 342 times

Post by ChrisG » Thu May 25, 2017 10:07 am

Remember it was cracking t'flags all day, and thinking the rickety old charabang we were on would never get out of Barley,never mind down to London.

Also remember playing football on the field outside the Fleur de Lis boozer in Stokenchurch on the way there.

Duff dancing and Blakes's Bad Beat Bob pants.

Cracking day out.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3800 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Thu May 25, 2017 10:07 am

The best promotion of the lot for me, probably because it was my first. I think id prefer to win the playoffs over finishing in the automatic places maybe I'm saying that because of the enjoyment I had that season.

Cuts
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by Cuts » Thu May 25, 2017 10:15 am

The smaller stranger things also stick in my mind clearer than the match. Drinking in a hotel car park near Wembley with a few dozen others. Milling around outside afterwards, in a drunk haze, bantering with all the lads in fancy dress going next door to the premier league darts. Ending up in the pub in Kilburn where we had started the day, to find they were hosting their weekly jazz night.

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 494 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Thu May 25, 2017 10:18 am

So much has happened to this great club of ours since that day that for me it does seem like 8 years ago. I never envisaged playing in the EPL. When I first met my wife, I took her to a 3rd tier match against Chesterfield on Boxing Day 1997. A dull 0-0 draw and it was absolutely freezing. She has always followed football and was well aware of Burnley's history. She asked me what my now aspirations were for Clarets. I pondered and said I'd like us to become an established Championship side. I thought that was only a pipe dream at the time. What has happened since has been truly remarkable.
We went down on the Sunday and stayed in Harrow. We stopped at Newport Pagnall service station on the way. It was a lovely sunny day and I can recall hundreds and hundreds of Clarets chilling out on the grass verges chatting and singing. It was a great atmosphere. We seriously outnumbered the Sheff Utd, certainly on that service station, to which I was surprised. That night there was a good mix of Clarets and Blades enjoying friendly banter in the pubs around Harrow.
The day itself started dull and overcast. We set off on the tube and I can remember fleetingly thinking how I might feel on the return journey should we win. I quickly dismissed this thought as I didn't want to 'jinx' the day.
I think the occasion was as emotional as I've witnessed bar the Orient game. When we scored I lost my phone and 10 minutes later someone tapped me on the shoulder asking was it mine. I mention this as after the match and all the celebrations I slumped in the seat and rang my son a fellow Claret who was living inThailand at the time, and we were both crying, the emotion of the achievement was so overwhelming.
I must also thank Tony Livesey, who was working for BBC North West for posing for a selfie with my wife and of course Wade Elliot and the rest of the team.

Pedro

Post by Pedro » Thu May 25, 2017 10:19 am

Early start to catch the coach
Got to Wembley at 12pm and paid £5 for a car/dog burger
Remember going mental at the goal
Loved the celebrations - gave my dad a hug as we'd shared the journey from the 4th division to the Premier League.
Remember the tunes :
Planet Funk - Chase the sun
Kings of Leon- Use somebody
Stuck in coach park forever - saw Burnley team coach come out of the stadium
Emotionally drained on the journey home with the air con blasting down on me
Got home - couldn't sleep

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Thu May 25, 2017 10:26 am

I remember me and a mate going to the shop to get some cans, as loads of people were sat out in the sun drinking, near where the Sheffield United fans' coaches drove up past us.

I came out the shop with 8 cans of Stella for him and his reply was,
"Christ, I want to actually remember the game!" so he took 4 back :-D

When Wade scored, I remember turning around and high-giving a dear little old lady who looked scared to death! After that, I stuck a countdown on my mobile phone, to will away the minutes!

When Jamie Ward got sent off, I had about 3 emotions a split second after eachother.

1) Oh crap, he's given them a penalty
2) Nope, not a penalty, thank God for that!
3) He's sent off... yesss!

What a great day.
Last edited by FactualFrank on Thu May 25, 2017 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

ClaretPope
Been Liked: 79 times
Has Liked: 437 times

Post by ClaretPope » Thu May 25, 2017 10:27 am

We too stayed in Central London before and after the game. Memories of Millwall fans as sick as chips, many more Clarets than Blades in the city including plenty of jocks in Trafalgar Square, very boozy Italian meal near the British Museum after the match and back to Burnley in time for the Town Hall balcony appearance.

burnleypudding
Been Liked: 5 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by burnleypudding » Thu May 25, 2017 10:38 am

Flew in from Perth Western Australia on the Saturday, watched the game on the Monday and flew back.
One of the best investments I ever made.
Lady behind me crying at the final whistle - first time she had been to a Clarets' game since they sold Jimmy Mac!
Couldn't believe we missed so many chance in the second half and feared the worst (well you would having supported Burnley fo 50+ years.)
One of the great days in my life -brilliant!!
Thank you Wade.
UTC
This user liked this post: brunlea99

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Thu May 25, 2017 10:41 am

FactualFrank wrote:
When Jamie Ward got sent off, I had about 3 emotions a split second after eachother.

1) Oh crap, he's given them a penalty
2) Nope, not a penalty, thank God for that!
3) He's sent off... yesss!

What a great day.
Erm........

I don't remember that red card at all :o :shock:

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Thu May 25, 2017 10:41 am

Herts Clarets wrote:I remember Clarke Carlisle being absolutely immense that day.
If my memory serves me rightly, we beat Sheffield United both home and away that season and when we played Reading, feeling super confident when I knew we were playing Sheffield United in the final.

That season, I'm sure Sheffield United played long central balls into our box and Clarke Carlisle cleaned them all up. They played into our hands as that was what Clarke Carlisle was best at - heading away long direct balls into our box.

Foulthrow
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 1518 times

Post by Foulthrow » Thu May 25, 2017 10:41 am

My best day ever. Simple as that.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu May 25, 2017 10:44 am

Sidney1st wrote:Erm........

I don't remember that red card at all :o :shock:

And not many can recall the second red card for Lee Hendrie

Foulthrow
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 1518 times

Post by Foulthrow » Thu May 25, 2017 10:45 am

It was this day that made me realise how boringly pointless it would be to support a 'big' club. Because no matter how many titles or European Cups that United or Liverpool or City or Arsenal win they'll never have a day like that.

United won the Europa League last night. How many of their fans either (a) didn't watch it at all, or (b) went 'fair enough', had a beer and went off to bed as normal. I'm gonna say about 99%.

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Thu May 25, 2017 11:07 am

ClaretTony wrote:And not many can recall the second red card for Lee Hendrie
Nope, don't remember that either, but I've looked and it was after the final whistle apparently.

HiroshimaClaret
Been Liked: 746 times
Has Liked: 927 times

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Thu May 25, 2017 11:08 am

Ah! The days before a plethora of live (and easily accessible) live streams! My mum woke me up around 5am (Japan time) with the text message `we`ve done it...Wembley bound` after the Reading away game. JUMPED OUT OF BED with joy!

The Wembley final was spent first half-with awful stream hopping in an internet cafe here in Hiroshima. The 2nd half in an Irish bar where I had to persuade the owner to put the game on...still a very bitty stream. I was SO nervous and visibly so - other pub patrons laughing at my ooohs and aaahs and various bodily manipulations (Blake`s almost goal the most amusing for the others) until the 95th minute when I screamed out "yes", downed a Guinness and had more than a few joyous tears.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3862 times
Has Liked: 2070 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu May 25, 2017 11:08 am

ClaretTony wrote:And not many can recall the second red card for Lee Hendrie
Are we the only club in history to win two play off finals with the opposition reduced to 9 men then?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu May 25, 2017 11:09 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:Are we the only club in history to win two play off finals with the opposition reduced to 9 men then?
Very likely that we are

TopCat
Been Liked: 172 times
Has Liked: 45 times

Post by TopCat » Thu May 25, 2017 11:13 am

Gutted not to be there as we had booked an holiday in Fuerteventura.
Was still taking it all in at the final whistle when it started to pan on the Burnley fans.
It then stopped on my daughter and son-in-law.
They saw themselves on the big screen and waved, it was like they were waving to us knowing we were not there.....weird.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6485 times
Has Liked: 2910 times

Post by Steve1956 » Thu May 25, 2017 11:16 am

Trying to get off Wembley car park for two and a half hours after the game,then having to wait to get to Birmingham for a slash....Agony, fantastic day though.:)

Stan Tastic
Been Liked: 444 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by Stan Tastic » Thu May 25, 2017 11:26 am

FactualFrank wrote:If my memory serves me rightly, we beat Sheffield United both home and away that season and when we played Reading, feeling super confident when I knew we were playing Sheffield United in the final.

That season, I'm sure Sheffield United played long central balls into our box and Clarke Carlisle cleaned them all up. They played into our hands as that was what Clarke Carlisle was best at - heading away long direct balls into our box.
Blackwell got his tactics all wrong that day and played into our hands.

Both our centre-backs lacked pace but were good in the air, so playing long high balls towards their strikers was never going to work.

If he'd played someone pacey down the middle like Jamie Ward from the start it could have been a different story.

Agonising when Kyle Walker raced back to block Blake's goalbound shot near the end.

Brilliantly playing out the last few minutes near their corner flag to see out injury time calmed the nerves.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Thu May 25, 2017 11:43 am

I too remember waiting hours to get off the car park, but also the news that Celtic were interested in Coyle and the sudden let down that he might leave us. I also seem to remember that he did not end the speculation for some time later; perhaps a sign of what was to come from him.

edlass
Been Liked: 59 times
Has Liked: 37 times

Post by edlass » Thu May 25, 2017 11:51 am

What a great day.

I floated around at work the next day even though I only got a few hours sleep after getting home.

Its starting to blur slightly but I remember a few things

Burnley fans setting off air horns in chorlton street bus station in Manchester at 6am and being proud instead of annoyed.
Somehow knowing the ball was going to hit the net, even from the top tier.
Two chances where I thought we would score (again) but we agonizingly didn't.
Their guy getting inexplicably sent off (for double hand ball of all things, when does that ever happen).
At the final whistle saying to my dad "we are in the premier league?!". I had almost forgot what the prize was, such was the occasion.
Duff running around with his camcorder.
Chanting for Owen Coyle (oh well) and going up, all the way back down Wembley way.
Finding out I had more money in the bank than I realised and buying a mcdonalds whilst waiting for the coach. Funny what you remember?

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1882 times
Has Liked: 840 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Thu May 25, 2017 12:13 pm

Got a coach from Rawtenstall full of friends and family. One of first coaches on car park at Wembley then to the pub. As above it had the feeling of one of those days pre match atmosphere was electric.

Remember the goal and that split second delay as I realised it had gone in then ending up in a pile on the floor with my mates! At the final whistle just sheer emotion remember feeling drained and looking at my dad and uncle in tears! Something special celebrating with all those who you'd grown up watching the clarets with and unbelievably reaching the top league for many of us for the first time.

Sadly a few who were on our coach are no longer with us but would be proud of what we have continued to achieve since.

catcatcher
Been Liked: 53 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by catcatcher » Thu May 25, 2017 12:27 pm

Couldn't get tickets in the Burnley end so ended up sitting with the Sheffield end.
Had to endure them singing the "greasy chip butty song". When we scored we both looked at each other and said 'oh dear'. The bloke next to me was gutted saying he knew they would lose as usual!
Waited for all the Sheffield fans to exit before we could leap up and down and celebrate. Collected a few discarded Sheffield scarves and hats as trophies! :lol:
These 2 users liked this post: Rick_Muller turfytopper