Wolves, Stockport & Wembley all on one day

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32542 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Wolves, Stockport & Wembley all on one day

Post by ClaretTony » Mon May 29, 2017 9:19 am

Last week we had the fantastic thread on the 8th anniversary of our Wembley win against Sheffield United.

Today, 29th May, is 29 years since the Sherpa Van Trophy Final against Wolves and 23 years since we beat Stockport in the play offs to win promotion back to the second tier of English football.

My one lasting memory from the Wolves game is getting my name announced over the PA system at the end of the game. It wasn't good news though; one passenger on the coach I was stewarding had suffered an asthma attack and I was asked to report to the medical centre.

I was always relieved to have made it in 1994 having been ill during the week. I had a wonderful recovery for a few days before falling ill again for the next month when I lost around 3 stone in weight (I wish I could do that now without the illness). But a fantastic day all round when we thought we were well and truly on the way back but two years later we were fighting for our lives to stay out of the bottom division again.

That day we scored our first ever goal on a Sunday although we hadn't played too many games then.

Selby Claret
Been Liked: 402 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Re: Wolves, Stockport & Wembley all on one day

Post by Selby Claret » Mon May 29, 2017 9:25 am

On the way back home in 94 we stopped off at services where they had Ceefax on a telly above the McDonalds counter - it was showing our win v Stockport and I thought we were so billy big time for making it onto the 'big screen'

Bfc
Been Liked: 443 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Bfc » Mon May 29, 2017 9:27 am

Robson's goal in 1962 was our first Wembley goal.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon May 29, 2017 9:38 am

Selby Claret wrote:On the way back home in 94 we stopped off at services where they had Ceefax on a telly above the McDonalds counter - it was showing our win v Stockport and I thought we were so billy big time for making it onto the 'big screen'
Ceefax was a big thing then. Even a decade later Steve Cotterill once said that he'd gone home and paused teletext when we went top of the league.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2534 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Mon May 29, 2017 9:47 am

'first ever goal on a Sunday'

Didn't we score two on a Sunday at Chester in the FA Cup in late 1992?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon May 29, 2017 10:01 am

Silkyskills1 wrote:'first ever goal on a Sunday'

Didn't we score two on a Sunday at Chester in the FA Cup in late 1992?
We did score two on a Sunday at Chester but they were in the season after Wembley, was the 2nd round in 1994/95.

NEILTHO61
Been Liked: 24 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Sherpa Van Final

Post by NEILTHO61 » Mon May 29, 2017 10:08 am

Just watched it.Forgot until I saw Wolves defender crawling off the pitch injured whilst the game carried on that football used to be an honest game without time wasters and cheating
It was also nice to see Wembley still full of Burnley supporters staying for the lap of honour even though we got beat. We now see cups presented to half full stadiums
What do you miss from the game now that's changed in the last 20 or 30 years?

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Re: Sherpa Van Final

Post by tim_noone » Mon May 29, 2017 10:09 am

My youth!!!!
This user liked this post: beeholeclaret

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Mon May 29, 2017 10:48 am

ClaretTony wrote:We did score two on a Sunday at Chester but they were in the season after Wembley, was the 2nd round in 1994/95.
Cheers,CT. Years taking their toll yet again.
This user liked this post: ClaretTony

CnBtruntru
Been Liked: 698 times
Has Liked: 607 times

Post by CnBtruntru » Mon May 29, 2017 11:31 am

In the Sherpa final we were nearly at the top of the stadium behind the goal, the players on the Fifa 15 on my PS3 look bigger and against Stockport we were half way between the half way line and the goal where we scored, If I remember correctly all 3 goals were scored at that end, so the shock of them scoring early and the elation of us scoring 2 :D if I have remembered correctly.

Selby Claret
Been Liked: 402 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Post by Selby Claret » Mon May 29, 2017 11:33 am

Stockport and Parky scored at the same end
Eyres scored the other

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon May 29, 2017 11:33 am

tim_noone wrote:My youth!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Mon May 29, 2017 11:34 am

Their goal and our winner were at our end of the stadium with David Eyres scoring our first down at the other end.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon May 29, 2017 11:34 am

My first away game and one of my first memories in life that day.

Dont remember the goals or any of the play (partly because I couldnt see, police wouldnt let me sit on the crush barrier).

But remember sitting crying because I couldnt see, running round the terraces and throwing my flat cap to a player.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon May 29, 2017 11:43 am

My first away game and one of my first memories in life that day.

Dont remember the goals or any of the play (partly because I couldnt see, police wouldnt let me sit on the crush barrier).

But remember sitting crying because I couldnt see, running round the terraces and throwing my flat cap to a player.

Stockport I have much better memories of. The day before our entire sunday football team had been on a bike ride to barnoldswick and back. Think my dad wanted us tired out for the journey :lol:

Dont remember much about the journey. Not even sure if we drove all the way there or got the tube in from outside london.

I remember them scoring. Remember the red card. Francis getting injured. Remember being dissapointed at how empty wembley was down their side. Remember some miserablr ******* moaning at my brother for waving a burnley flag. He was only 6 at the time. Remember a flare or smoke bomb in burnley end first time id ever seen that. Remember driving home to hundreds of people on street corners and motorway bridges cheering as we drove home. Like we were being applauded.

Think i enjoyed that one even more than 09. But think thts probably because i was only 9. Was there with my whole family. And saw burnley win at wembley after being crap for most of my life at that point.

I still love jimmy mullen.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5188 times
Has Liked: 804 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Mon May 29, 2017 11:59 am

We stayed at the Hilton at Watford before the Wolves game, and there was a large wedding reception going on where most of the guests were Jocks, Celtic supporting Jocks to be exact.

Uh Ohh, here we go......... not a bit of it, the hotel manager said that there was just one broken ashtray and that was an accident.

One old Jock lass that I was talking to wouldn't have it that Burnley had beaten Celtic before, but without wanting to stereotype, she was fairly p1ssed.

john'sroseyspecs
Been Liked: 364 times

Post by john'sroseyspecs » Mon May 29, 2017 12:01 pm

Apart from the game itself, the two best things i remember about the Stockport game were sitting outside the pub near Wembley with seemed like half of Burnley ( The Torch?) And then stopping at the services on the way back at the same time as some Stockport fans. They were very unhappy. We tried to cheer them up...

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6389 times
Has Liked: 8738 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon May 29, 2017 1:04 pm

I remember the 'veterans' match before hand with Peter Noble scything through Wolves players to get the ball, like his life depended on it. Who wouldn't for a chance to play at Wembley in front of such a large crowd. Our 'vets' won their match!

Wokingclaret
Been Liked: 298 times
Has Liked: 781 times

Post by Wokingclaret » Mon May 29, 2017 1:43 pm

However, still can't forgive McGrory on the left wing...

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5210 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon May 29, 2017 3:11 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Ceefax was a big thing then. Even a decade later Steve Cotterill once said that he'd gone home and paused teletext when we went top of the league.
When Cotterill was in charge watching our games on teletext wasn't any less interesting than being on the match and saved you a lot of neck ache

1963Claret
Been Liked: 69 times
Has Liked: 168 times

Post by 1963Claret » Mon May 29, 2017 8:34 pm

We won the veterans game 2-0 I think. For some reason Gary Lewin, the Arsenal physio, played and scored for us. My biggest memory is from after the game when Clarets fans stayed behind to applaud the Wolves players on their lap of honour, greeting Steve Bull with a good natured chant of 'Bullshit, Bullshit!' which he took in good part.
This user liked this post: claretblue

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1165 times
Has Liked: 1300 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Mon May 29, 2017 10:30 pm

The. Sherpa final, as I mentioned on the 'ORIENT GAME thread', was incredible in that a year after we nearly went out of existence we were packing half of Wembley with claret and blue. We lost but in some ways it didn't matter since it felt 'good to be back'.

The play-off final was a fantastic occasion and really weird with more than half of the ground filled with Burnley fans with the rest of the place empty apart from a small sector with Stockport fans.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Bop
Been Liked: 244 times
Has Liked: 343 times

Post by Bop » Mon May 29, 2017 10:54 pm

Missed ko for the Wolves game on a Padiham coach. In and out, bit of a non-event, but a huge step forward for the club that reignited supporters.

Very drunk for the Stockport game, and embarrassed my friends and family by continually abusing their very tall CF as a ******* freak.

Mad celebrations when we scored, guy in front of us jumped up let out a primal scream and threw his head back headbutting my mother.

I wish Parkys goal had been a screamer, but it counted and the rest of the day was a drunken blur.

After attending a dissapointing England game when the highlight was Tony Morley coming on as sub I thought I'd never see my team at Wembley in my lifetime. How wrong I was. Thank God.

Here's to the next time......
This user liked this post: tim_noone

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue May 30, 2017 9:02 am

Bop wrote:I wish Parkys goal had been a screamer, but it counted and the rest of the day was a drunken blur.
It was one of the finest goals to grace the old Wembley. It flew into the top corner like a rocket. This is what happens when you have too much to drink before a game. :D
This user liked this post: Bop

RammyClaret61
Been Liked: 1131 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Post by RammyClaret61 » Tue May 30, 2017 10:45 am

ClaretTony wrote:It was one of the finest goals to grace the old Wembley. It flew into the top corner like a rocket. This is what happens when you have too much to drink before a game. :D
Did it even hit the netting? :lol:

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue May 30, 2017 11:37 am

RammyClaret61 wrote:Did it even hit the netting? :lol:
Such was the power I think it burst the net :D

criminalclaret
Been Liked: 180 times
Has Liked: 72 times

Post by criminalclaret » Tue May 30, 2017 1:19 pm

Bop wrote:Mad celebrations when we scored, guy in front of us jumped up let out a primal scream and threw his head back headbutting my mother.

Here's to the next time......
Such vivid imagery. You can take the boy out of Burnley....

I'd say 2009 was my first trip to Wembley (although I was -1 months old at the Shepra Van when my Dad and Uncle went to the game and left my pregnant mother in the hotel). It was such a bizzare experience, the whole family went, my mums first game in 30 years, sister was working so my brother in law came. Bumping into neighbours, school friends, the postman, a couple of old school teachers. It was such a great day.

I remember after all was said and done I was in a Whetherspoon's near Wembley Central with a few other Burnley fans at the back and we're just sat outside, quiet, sombre almost like we'd lost. It wasn't that we weren't pleased or happy, we certainly were, but it just didn't seem real at all. It was such an exciting season, beating Chelsea and Arsenal, the semi-final against Spurs where we should have rightly been at Wembley, the awful play off first game. Then Wade Elliots super goal. It was quite surreal day indeed that I look back on in fondness every time I see play off game on TV at Wembley.