"One Love Manchester"Benefit Concert

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 2983 times

"One Love Manchester"Benefit Concert

Post by Stalbansclaret » Wed May 31, 2017 8:39 am

Anyone else feel a bit uneasy about this ? We are talking about an event in the aftermath of a horrific bombing, one which resulted in children being blown apart in bloody carnage. If that had happened to my own children I'm really not sure how I'd feel seeing the likes of Chris Martin, Miley Cyrus, Katy Perry et al emoting and churning out their dire musical pap in "tribute". How on earth will the crowd behave ?....I fear switching from Diana-style mass-emoting to inappropriate bopalong "celebrating" the fact that "we all stand together", "Manchester united" and other such hashtag driven platitude.
It will have to be incredibly sensitively handled....just feels wrong to me and am interested in what others think.

Darthlaw
Been Liked: 1185 times
Has Liked: 418 times

Re: "One Love Manchester"Benefit Concert

Post by Darthlaw » Wed May 31, 2017 8:43 am

I'm sure none of the acts appearing have singles to push at the minute do they, or is that me being cynical?

Similar to all the pop acts who appear during Comic Relief and Children in Need, who just so happen to have a single/album/tour to push.

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Wed May 31, 2017 8:50 am

Darthlaw wrote:I'm sure none of the acts appearing have singles to push at the minute do they, or is that me being cynical?

Similar to all the pop acts who appear during Comic Relief and Children in Need, who just so happen to have a single/album/tour to push.
When don't pop music artists have singles or albums or tours to push? And who really gives a **** if they benefit from donating their time for this? Would you rather they didn't? Do you think a double amputee that can suddenly afford more realistic prothetics that allow her to walk almost normally is going to say "well, these legs are great and i can even climb stairs easily. But Take That had a single to sell at the same time so they can **** off".
Last edited by Imploding Turtle on Wed May 31, 2017 8:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
These 3 users liked this post: djt2006 cricketfieldclarets Damo

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Wed May 31, 2017 8:52 am

You would hope all the families who are grieving and those with loved ones still in hospital with injuries have been asked about it before they arranged it. Does seem very soon after the event when you think of the grief and trauma of those caught up in it.

StuffyClaret
Been Liked: 144 times
Has Liked: 93 times

Post by StuffyClaret » Wed May 31, 2017 8:57 am

Maybe they are just doing it because they want to help.

Also, looking at the line-up who are all pretty much megastars in their own genres, I don't think that a few extra record sales will be that much of a priority for them.

If you are uncomfortable with it then don't go (or watch/listen to it). Simple.
These 3 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets 1968claret Juan Tanamera

Darthlaw
Has Liked: 418 times

Post by Darthlaw » Wed May 31, 2017 9:03 am

The one that screams out is Niall Horan from One Direction (just about to release his first solo single). Had he just been Niall Horan, would he have got near the stage? Unlikely but his management have spotted a gap for him to get some exposure (and no doubt sales) thanks to the opportunity.

Each to their own, I just find some of these acts piggybacking a tragedy for their own gain to be distasteful. As Stuffy says, I won't be watching it for that reason.

As for ImplodingTroll - Unfortunately his example is the only one that bucks the trend as Take That announced on a charity show a few years back they would be donating all the money from one of their singles to the charity. That is what I call support from a pop act.
Last edited by Darthlaw on Wed May 31, 2017 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

BleedingClaret
Been Liked: 988 times
Has Liked: 1660 times

Post by BleedingClaret » Wed May 31, 2017 9:03 am

Nothing is going to help the relatives of people, children, who have been blown to peices it's for the masses, a therapy of moving on.
Practically the money raised will help survivors.
If I were to try and put myself in the position of the relatives of the dead and mamed, I'd be horrified and insulted at the diatribe that is being spewed out, as it turns out we all need to be a lot nicer to the poor Muslim community, it is they that need our sympathy and support at this time, apparently people need to stop trying to 'Prevent' them doing these things, they feel victimised and we should give them good jobs with loads of money.
At least the foreign wars argument had credence.
Last edited by BleedingClaret on Wed May 31, 2017 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Wed May 31, 2017 9:06 am

BleedingClaret wrote:Nothing is going to help the relatives of people, children, who have been blown to peices it's for the masses, a therapy of moving on.
If I were to try and put myself in the position of the relatives of the dead and named, I'd be horrified and insulted at the diatribe that is being spewed out, as it turns out we all need to be a lot nicer to the poor Muslim community, it is they that need our sympathy and support at this time, apparently people need to stop trying to 'Prevent' them doing these things, they feel victimised and we should give them good jobs with loads of money.
At least the foreign wars argument had credence.

Please go stand too close to a cliff edge.

Sutton-Claret
Been Liked: 378 times
Has Liked: 165 times

Post by Sutton-Claret » Wed May 31, 2017 9:06 am

I'm all for raising money for the people affected by the events of last week and this concert will certainly raise plenty.

I can't help thinking that Gary Barlow will be benefitting from this in some way - I'm sure he and the rest of Take That will be covering their costs........ hate the middle aged boy band...... especially when the missus spent about 250 of my hard earned pounds to go and see them 'again' the other week.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Wed May 31, 2017 9:09 am

F*ck Gary Barlow and Take That for only raising 1 million and not 1.1 million. F*cking c*nts. :roll:

BleedingClaret

Post by BleedingClaret » Wed May 31, 2017 9:15 am

Imploding Turtle wrote:Please go stand too close to a cliff edge.
Feel like I'm on one already.thanks mate
There is support for these actions, however small, within the Muslim communities and every time these things happen then certain sections of the Muslim community exploit it, to harden the shell around their rotten core.
Turns out they are the real victims in this.
I have heard more about their plight than the plight of the, actual, real victims.
Yes and I know you're not my mate
Last edited by BleedingClaret on Wed May 31, 2017 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

BleedingClaret

Post by BleedingClaret » Wed May 31, 2017 9:20 am

Imploding Turtle wrote:F*ck Gary Barlow and Take That for only raising 1 million and not 1.1 million. F*cking c*nts. :roll:
I actually agree with you, makes me feel dirty though, that all the money raised for victims is practically needed and if the celebrities happen to personally enhance their own images or wealth so what. They are getting off their arses, and doing something so good luck to them.
This user liked this post: Imploding Turtle

Walton
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 242 times

Post by Walton » Wed May 31, 2017 9:33 am

I've played benefit concerts before.

It usually goes:

'We're holding a benefit gig, for the victims of the Manchester bombing. Are you available that weekend? It being a benefit, we can't pay much of a fee, but we've booked some hotel rooms and we'll provide a standard rider for all artists, but feel free to make your own arrangements. All proceeds above operational costs will go to the charity. Sound good?'

'Yeah, sign me up'
These 3 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets Mad_tony_c THEWELLERNUT70

hampsteadclaret
Been Liked: 1110 times
Has Liked: 802 times

Post by hampsteadclaret » Wed May 31, 2017 9:34 am

I think it is a well intended gesture by these various artists, most of whom [not seen full list] do not need the exposure.

I think it is too soon though, with about 50 people still in hospital, including about 20 seriously injured victims.
This user liked this post: Foshiznik

Stalbansclaret

Post by Stalbansclaret » Wed May 31, 2017 9:41 am

It wasn't doubt about the motivation of the various acts, which I'm sure is generally well meaning, that prompted my OP. More the whole question as to how appropriate this event is as a reaction to such a terrible, horrific incident. Watching a mob of people making themselves feel "better" by waving their arms in the air to Coldplay or Katy Perry is pretty much the last thing in the world I would want had I lost someone close to this barbaric act.
I do take the point about fund raising but would ,personally, rather funds were raised, or made available, in another way.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed May 31, 2017 9:50 am

None of the acts, coldplay aside are my thing both musically and as personalities. But I dont think its a major issue. Damned if you do damned if you dont.

Some of the families will be affected for the rest of their lives with disabilities and associated care.

Its fresh in the mind true but also means its a chance to get maximum support and raise maximum money towards helping the families.

It also shows that as a country we wont hide behind closed doors. Or avoid doing what we love. The recent events HAVE united a nation and a city.

None of the acts need exposure. But if they sell extra records as a result of raising mllions for charity does it matter?
These 2 users liked this post: spadesclaret Mad_tony_c

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Wed May 31, 2017 9:53 am

hampsteadclaret wrote:I think it is a well intended gesture by these various artists, most of whom [not seen full list] do not need the exposure.

I think it is too soon though, with about 50 people still in hospital, including about 20 seriously injured victims.
I don't mind how soon it is. There'll be people in hospital worrying about how they're going to cope financially and logistically once they leave hospital. If this can help ease their worries then that can only be a good thing.
These 6 users liked this post: BleedingClaret StuffyClaret spadesclaret cricketfieldclarets Mad_tony_c THEWELLERNUT70

StuffyClaret
Been Liked: 144 times
Has Liked: 93 times

Post by StuffyClaret » Wed May 31, 2017 10:19 am

I daresay that the monies raised by this for the victims will have a greater affect on their and their families lives than the countless flowers/balloons/teddy bears/etc that have been laid at the temporary shrines in Manchester and elsewhere.

The above comment may sound a bit cynical but I do feel that some people tend to 'publically grieve' just for the sake of 'publically grieving'.

International class
Been Liked: 50 times

Post by International class » Wed May 31, 2017 10:28 am

With reference to a benefit concert, there's a story about Chuck Berry and his fee request. On being asked if he would play, he demanded $50k but was told that all the other artist were getting $5K. Chuck said hell no way man and slammed the phone down. Anyway several days later on hearing how much publicity and support the concert was garnering he rang up the organisers and said he would play. However he stipulated that nobody should ever know that Chuck Berry only plays for $5k as he was not that cheap.
This user liked this post: djt2006

karatekid
Been Liked: 1108 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by karatekid » Wed May 31, 2017 10:48 am

The artists who are playing are not the organisers , they were simply asked if they wanted to help raise money for the victims and their families. Those that could said yes. To organise this event at such short notice is a credit to them all.
These 4 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets StuffyClaret spadesclaret Mad_tony_c

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3874 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed May 31, 2017 11:15 am

If my child was still in hospital from the bombing and I told them to put the radio on as world class artists were having a concert for them. Yes them, they would have a smile from ear to ear.
These 4 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets Mad_tony_c quoonbeatz Greenmile

Dom
Been Liked: 327 times
Has Liked: 218 times

Post by Dom » Wed May 31, 2017 11:15 am

None of the artists performing are charging a fee. Ticketmaster aren't charging booking fees. Live Nation are covering the costs of staff, security and venue hire.
Anyone who attended the concert last week are being given free tickets, if they want to go.
It'll raise over £2m for the families caught up in the bombing, that's a bloody good amount of money to help people. If the artists performing benefit through song sales then good luck to them, key thing is millions of pounds going to help those who need it. Can't believe people are moaning about it. :roll:
Last edited by Dom on Wed May 31, 2017 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These 8 users liked this post: spadesclaret IndigoLake cricketfieldclarets Mad_tony_c lucs86 THEWELLERNUT70 bfcmik BertiesBeehole

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6490 times
Has Liked: 2918 times

Post by Steve1956 » Wed May 31, 2017 11:17 am

Simply to soon!
This user liked this post: Jakubclaret

Dom

Post by Dom » Wed May 31, 2017 11:20 am

Steve1956 wrote:Simply to soon!
Families will need the money as soon as possible, so it makes sense. No doubt they'd have consulted the families of the victims to make sure they'd be alright with it.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Wed May 31, 2017 11:25 am

Dom wrote:Families will need the money as soon as possible, so it makes sense. No doubt they'd have consulted the families of the victims to make sure they'd be alright with it.
But if people realise that then they wouldn't able to be indignant and outraged, and that would be the real tragedy.

Dom

Post by Dom » Wed May 31, 2017 11:28 am

Imploding Turtle wrote:But if people realise that then they wouldn't able to be indignant and outraged, and that would be the real tragedy.
Of all the things though for people to whinge about, I can't believe it's this.

2 Bee Holed
Been Liked: 548 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by 2 Bee Holed » Wed May 31, 2017 11:29 am

St Albans:
I am a little uneasy, but not for the reasons you have mentioned. Apparently, the majority of the victims and their families are in favour of it.
I was listening to GMR when our Chief Constable was asked about this yesterday. Interestingly, he himself had reservations about the two Old Traffords being used simultaneously and the difficulties of policing it, the traffic etc. However, he did say negotiations were ongoing.
Personally, I think it is vital that we show the radicals that you will not make us change our way of life.
I think the pop industry and the young, particularly in Manchester(North West) think this was a direct attack upon them, which it was.
They in particular want to show sympathy and solidarity with the victims and show they care by helping. Hence the number of bee tattoos, lampposts throughout the city strewn with pink balloons and messages, floral tributes etc.
My uneasiness comes with it possibly being a little too early. I personally think the funerals should be held first and then using this concert to lift the mood of the City and as a way of moving forward. As it is, the mood will be lifted by this and then depressed again as 22 funerals are held.
What lifts the spirit after that? Anyhow, it is happening, so I will get behind it and support it. I am also uneasy because I think there is definitely a cultural change in the British occurring in the way we deal with tragedy, is it Americanisation? I don't recall any of this during the IRA campaign.
This user liked this post: Stalbansclaret

Dom

Post by Dom » Wed May 31, 2017 11:44 am

2 Bee Holed wrote:St Albans:
I am also uneasy because I think there is definitely a cultural change in the British occurring in the way we deal with tragedy, is it Americanisation? I don't recall any of this during the IRA campaign.
Carrick's testimonial at Old Trafford is being moved to an earlier time on the same day to help accommodate the concert.

I don't think there has been a massive cultural change in dealing with tragedy, it's just with social media and rolling 24 hour news there is more visibility of the outpouring.

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2603 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Wed May 31, 2017 11:50 am

Stalbansclaret wrote:More the whole question as to how appropriate this event is as a reaction to such a terrible, horrific incident.
the incident happened at a pop concert aimed at teenagers and kids so having a pop concert aimed at teenagers is about as appropriate a reaction as you'll get.

it has been organised in consultation with the families of victims and whilst there was understandably some opposition, it was in the minority.
BleedingClaret wrote: I have heard more about their plight than the plight of the, actual, real victims.
not sure where you've been to hear this but you should come to manchester. there's been nothing but an outpouring of remembrance, love and support for the victims, their families, the emergency services and all the others who witnessed and helped on the night, and plenty of that love and support has come from muslims.

there's no bigger '**** you' to the bomber and his ilk than to carry on doing what they try to stop us doing.

this isn't the only event like this, by the way. on sunday i'll be at the deaf institute where a guy i know has put together an event with a cracking lineup, with plenty of well known artists (albeit not the type who sell out stadiums). it sold out in a couple of days and will make a lot of money for the fund. and thats the point of these events. people just want to support others. its brilliant.
These 8 users liked this post: Mad_tony_c cricketfieldclarets spadesclaret cloughyclaret lucs86 BleedingClaret Greenmile simonclaret

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Wed May 31, 2017 12:03 pm

I was in Manchester yesterday, at the Royal Eye Hospital, which is next to St Mary's Hospital - a hospital mainly for children. I walk past St Mary's to get to the Eye Hospital and noticed security staff patrolling outside. One of the staff I was speaking too, mentioned some of the victims were next door (in St Mary's), in critical condition. As I was walking away back to the carpark past St Mary's, I looked in, thinking how there were children in there who's life was completely normal a little over a week ago. It's one thing to think about it, but when you actually walk past the hospital many of them are in, it hits you harder.

I can be as cynical as they come, but in the grand scheme of things, if this event can help those victims and their families (many of whom will need lifelong care), then whether the artists benefit from it or not, doesn't matter.
These 2 users liked this post: Mad_tony_c cricketfieldclarets

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed May 31, 2017 12:10 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:If my child was still in hospital from the bombing and I told them to put the radio on as world class artists were having a concert for them. Yes them, they would have a smile from ear to ear.
Very well said.
These 2 users liked this post: bfcjg quoonbeatz

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5084 times
Has Liked: 6895 times

Post by bfcjg » Wed May 31, 2017 12:41 pm

The phrase about making a child smile swung it for me. I was slightly uncomfortable at the news item this morning showing the crowd at the Noel Gallagher concert singing stand up for the 22, ok it might be their way of showing grief or support but it felt a bit footbally and dare I say "Liverpudlian " style grief.
The money from this concert will help short term and also long term with some of the emotional, medical and cosmetic needs those poor people will have so it has to be a good thing and I don't believe there is anything other than a genuine desire to help from the artists involved.
This user liked this post: lucs86

Stalbansclaret

Post by Stalbansclaret » Wed May 31, 2017 1:37 pm

Some really good replies thanks, particularly the one from 2 Bee Holed. I think I'm persuaded that the concert is overall a positive but, as fundamentally an entertainment event, it feels too soon. I also can't shake my reservations about how grief is seemingly to be publicly displayed nowadays, for many, like a badge of honour.
I read something recently (possibly by Rod Liddle) saying how the problem with all the floral tributes and "standing together" hashtags is that they were serving as the reaction to this event when , in reality, we should be getting a lot angrier and expending our energy on doing more to stop it happening again. This felt like something I agree with, though HOW is the big question.
Oh and to the replies who seems to think I was "outraged" or "whinging" ....weird. I think you interpreted my comments in a certain way so you could be outraged and whinge about them..

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5188 times
Has Liked: 804 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Wed May 31, 2017 1:43 pm

The only concern about it being too soon is that a lot of the funerals haven't taken place yet.

But it's definitely a cause that should happen, and I'm not cynical enough to think that these stars are doing it for personal gain. In fact I'd say that's b0llocks.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1923 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Wed May 31, 2017 1:46 pm

It might be a little soon but it's been over a week since the tragedy already. It's best to do this now whilst it's still in peoples minds and we can donate as much as possible. Another 1/2 weeks and people start to forget what's happened. That sounds harsh but it's the reality of such events.

JTClaret
Been Liked: 181 times
Has Liked: 119 times

Post by JTClaret » Wed May 31, 2017 2:15 pm

I must admit I felt very uncomfortable about it.
It seems very soon, I can't imagine anyone grieving would be able to think think about music concerts.

However, some very good points have been made, especially with regards to the injured and how the money raised will help.
I do hope it is done with the sensitivity required. I'm not sure how that is possible, but hopefully the good that comes from it makes it all worthwhile.

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 1036 times
Has Liked: 2039 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Wed May 31, 2017 2:35 pm

Damned if they do damned if they don't in some peoples eyes. It's a bit pathetic imo to have a pop at people giving up their time for a good cause
These 2 users liked this post: BleedingClaret cricketfieldclarets

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6490 times
Has Liked: 2918 times

Post by Steve1956 » Wed May 31, 2017 4:22 pm

Dom wrote:Families will need the money as soon as possible, so it makes sense. No doubt they'd have consulted the families of the victims to make sure they'd be alright with it.
I'm sure every family affected will have been donated more than enough money without the need for this concert just now.

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1142 times
Has Liked: 292 times

Post by TsarBomba » Wed May 31, 2017 5:14 pm

What the **** are people moaning for? Really? It's a concert. To raise money.

There'll be many victims already discharged, off work or school, without limbs, in wheelchairs, struggling to adapt.

There'll be parents and family members, tearing their hair out, trying to cope with the daily routine, holding down jobs, as well as becoming full time carers.

Too soon? The concert and proceeds can't come soon enough.
These 3 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets chipbutty THEWELLERNUT70

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1142 times
Has Liked: 292 times

Post by TsarBomba » Wed May 31, 2017 5:15 pm

Steve1956 wrote:I'm sure every family affected will have been donated more than enough money without the need for this concert just now.
And why is there no need for this concert just now? Enlighten me?

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Wed May 31, 2017 5:55 pm

Police cuts that were warned could lead this kind of thing failing to be prevented. Cuts to the healthcare system that the saved lives and limbs after the attack. But no, let's get upset because a ******* benefit concert is "too soon" because that's what's important right now.

2 Bee Holed
Been Liked: 548 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by 2 Bee Holed » Wed May 31, 2017 6:34 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:Police cuts that were warned could lead this kind of thing failing to be prevented. Cuts to the healthcare system that the saved lives and limbs after the attack. But no, let's get upset because a ******* benefit concert is "too soon" because that's what's important right now.
erm the list is a lot longer than that IT. MI5 failings and the Prevent strategy to name but two. However, the OP wasn't asking that question was he?
I am sure the cuts you refer to have been discussed elsewhere, along with the lack of social housing, welfare cuts , food banks and everything else we could get upset about. Indeed the endless questions to Corbyn about IRA sympathies and if he would press the nuclear button or not are all that seem to matter to the press, so let's avoid all these issues and let's ask him again tonight about Trident and the IRA.
However, I admit we are all very naughty people for not mentioning all these things before we answer the OP's question.

Please can all posters mention, Police cuts, Cuts to the NHS and Education, the dementia tax, social housing, welfare cuts, foodbanks etc etc before answering a question, otherwise IT will think we are all d**cks.

BleedingClaret

Post by BleedingClaret » Wed May 31, 2017 6:39 pm

quoonbeatz wrote:the incident happened at a pop concert aimed at teenagers and kids so having a pop concert aimed at teenagers is about as appropriate a reaction as you'll get.

it has been organised in consultation with the families of victims and whilst there was understandably some opposition, it was in the minority.

not sure where you've been to hear this but you should come to manchester. there's been nothing but an outpouring of remembrance, love and support for the victims, their families, the emergency services and all the others who witnessed and helped on the night, and plenty of that love and support has come from muslims.

there's no bigger '**** you' to the bomber and his ilk than to carry on doing what they try to stop us doing.

this isn't the only event like this, by the way. on sunday i'll be at the deaf institute where a guy i know has put together an event with a cracking lineup, with plenty of well known artists (albeit not the type who sell out stadiums). it sold out in a couple of days and will make a lot of money for the fund. and thats the point of these events. people just want to support others. its brilliant.
I'm watching too much telly mate.... I need to get out more!
This user liked this post: quoonbeatz

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1045 times
Has Liked: 819 times

Post by ClaretAL » Wed May 31, 2017 6:52 pm

This thread for me unfortunately shows the very reason why Claretsmad was left behind, this board has become. I can't believe the OP and some posts on this thread can be so insensitive and perceptionally lost in there own era. Remember Live Aid whether or not you agree with Geldoff etal or not that concert goes down in history for all that is good in humanity, and I am not saying on any level that this concert will be as big, but it is for all the right reasons. So I make no apologies for saying some people really do need to get a grip and look around.

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed May 31, 2017 7:17 pm

I think if you even asked the families of those who've actually lost loved ones and families of those still fighting for their lives. Some would say it's too soon, others wouldn't.

Stalbansclaret

Post by Stalbansclaret » Wed May 31, 2017 7:57 pm

ClaretAL..that is one strange, strange post. My OP simply reflected the fact I felt uneasy, and still do to an extent, that a concert...which is generally an event focused on enjoyment, dancing, smiles and frivolity.....might be insensitive in the aftermath of such a horrific event. As I said "It will have to be incredibly sensitively handled". I was imagining a bereaved parent, friend or relative watching it and worrying about how that person would feel. But apparently I am "insensitive and perceptionally lost in my own era" whatever that means. Bizarre.
As I've also said on a subsequent post the fund-raising argument has probably persuaded me that this is a good idea overall but I , personally, would rather we all just gave money. Live Aid was magnificent but I don't think many recently bereaved Ethiopians tuned in.

ClaretAL

Post by ClaretAL » Wed May 31, 2017 7:58 pm

1 of my team attended that night and lost her best friend, she got out with a few cuts, her reasoning is it helps with her therapy as the whole office is going with her and her friends family, not in a show if solidarity but more because wild horses wouldn't have kept her friend from it, and if they all gain solitude from the choice to attend who are we to question it?
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Stalbansclaret

Post by Stalbansclaret » Wed May 31, 2017 8:17 pm

We cannot question that...of course not. That's clearly not what I was saying...I was raising what I thought was a reasonable point and many people responded accordingly. As ever there is a tendency for some to jump at any chance to be outraged rather than consider the actual point being made.

ClaretAL

Post by ClaretAL » Wed May 31, 2017 8:38 pm

I think you will find a seldom post on here and I definitely don't jump at any chance to be outraged. I just find your thoughts of your image once you expanded on your OP of " frivolity" obsurd at the best, and again I just cannot stomach to be honest but it's an open forum and people will disagree

Jakubclaret
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed May 31, 2017 10:34 pm

It's far too early in my book to be having a concert. Overall I agree why it's a good idea to raise funds for the unfortunate people caught up in the horrific tragedy. I still think it would have been more sensitive to wait abit & let the dust settle. It's very naive for me not to think that certain individuals (the pop stars) will have hidden agendas fuelled by money album sales etc.