Defour to stay put?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Papabendi
Been Liked: 346 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Re: Defour to stay put?

Post by Papabendi » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:51 am

ClaretTony wrote:It was a friendly against a League of Ireland side, no more, and it was our first game back in pre-season, but he really did look as if he wanted to play last Friday night and he stood out in that first half just as Robbie Brady did in the second half.

He undoubtedly has quality but time will tell. I was told on Monday that the situation with him might have changed. I know tweets don't mean anything but added to what I was told suggests he might be staying with us. Whether this is a change of mind from him or whether he hasn't been able to find the move he wanted, I don't know.

From what I hear, Dyche and Defour have kissed and made up.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32390 times
Has Liked: 5270 times

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:56 am

Sleeping Cat wrote:Treacy & Barton, two difficult characters have both attested Dyche's man management skills. He treats players with respect but he also commands it back.
From what I saw and was told, he was brilliant with Keith Treacy and at least got him back playing for a while despite the lad's problems. As for Barton, I recall when we signed him Dyche was asked if he would be able to handle him. Dyche said: "He's 33 not 18," and that summed up the approach.

He does treat players with respect, I believe he treats everyone with respect, but he does want it back in return, and rightly so.

Hard taskmaster I'm sure he is, but commands the respect of the players with the way he deals with them.
This user liked this post: tiger76

Firthy
Been Liked: 1613 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Post by Firthy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:05 am

Papabendi wrote:From what I hear, Dyche and Defour have kissed and made up.
Hope there was no tongues :o :shock: :roll: :lol:

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:25 am

Firthy wrote:Hope there was no tongues :o :shock: :roll: :lol:
A hope it wasn't how me and the Mrs kiss and make up after a disagreement either!

Mala591
Been Liked: 684 times
Has Liked: 429 times

Post by Mala591 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:47 am

IMO Defour needs to play in either a 3-5-2 or 4-5-1 formation. He needs that bit of 'creative freedom' that slightly reduces his defensive responsibilities.

Unfortunately Burnley's best formation by far is 4-4-2 and this is the dilemma that SD has.

We need to develop a tactical option of three centre backs who can play well together.

Tarks, Mee and Ward might work but I suspect we will need at least one more experienced centre back who has played successfully in a three centre back formation.

This has all been said before of course but I think it is an essential tactical option to move our club on to the next level (the mid table comfort zone).
This user liked this post: Ilkley claret

claretspice
Been Liked: 2829 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:16 pm

A fit and motivated Steven Defour, in the physical condition of his life after a full pre-season to which he's committed utterly, would be an incredible asset this season so fingers crossed that's what the direction of travel now is.

We're not going to play 3 at the back I don't suppose, but every chance we might look at a midfield 5 plenty this season, in which case the extra mobility of Cork at the base of midfield with Defour and Hendrick rotating in the more forward areas looks like a really good balance.

You'd ideally want a pacier, more direct option off one flank to compliment the delivery of Brady or JBG, or the industry of Arfield or Walters, on the opposite side but the core of a good team is there.
This user liked this post: mybloodisclaret

Ric_C
Been Liked: 752 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:29 pm

That's why I'm not that bothered about missing out on Assombalonga.

With the players we have, 4-5-1 seems to suit the squad more than 4-4-2, but we have the flexibility to play both.
Bonus being Walters and Brady / JBG can fit into the wide areas in a 4-5-1 more efficiently than Boyd /Arfield who suit the 4-4-2 better.

Ask yourself, why do we keep getting linked with centre midfielders? Dyche seems to want plenty of options in that department.

We are still lacking the creative wide man option though, and I'd rather break the bank for him than another striker.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:33 pm

claretspice wrote:A fit and motivated Steven Defour, in the physical condition of his life after a full pre-season to which he's committed utterly, would be an incredible asset this season so fingers crossed that's what the direction of travel now is.
We'd have one of the best midfielders outside of the top clubs, a player that we would never be able to get if others had been interested.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3800 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:37 pm

bumba wrote:The reason he kept getting dropped was because he was always 'injured'
Simply isn't true because even when he was fit he was sat on the bench for a large part of the season and not playing games. Your completely making up shite about him feigning injury to suit your own agenda, do you understand how weird that is?

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2530 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:42 pm

So be told.

Belgianclaret
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 167 times

Post by Belgianclaret » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:28 pm

Glad to hear they had a good chat. He's a special player, believe me. Came to England to succeed, and if he feels the confidence in him we will have done the best transfer this summer
This user liked this post: mybloodisclaret

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:19 pm

Belgianclaret wrote:Glad to hear they had a good chat. He's a special player, believe me. Came to England to succeed, and if he feels the confidence in him we will have done the best transfer this summer
In Belgium, how is he regarded in comparison to the likes of Fellaini or De Bruyne?

1968claret
Been Liked: 504 times
Has Liked: 635 times

Post by 1968claret » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:26 pm

Was working in Helsinki a few weeks back and one of the other delegates was from Belgium.
We got talking and he asked where I was from. I said you probably won't have heard of it, it is a small town in the North called Burnley.
Immediately he smiled and said Burnley, of course I know it.....Stephen Defour!!
Said in a way that is reserved only for very special players.
These 2 users liked this post: Diesel mickleoverclaret

Diesel
Been Liked: 1228 times
Has Liked: 391 times

Post by Diesel » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:39 pm

1968claret wrote:Was working in Helsinki a few weeks back and one of the other delegates was from Belgium.
We got talking and he asked where I was from. I said you probably won't have heard of it, it is a small town in the North called Burnley.
Immediately he smiled and said Burnley, of course I know it.....Stephen Defour!!
Even if you've just made that up, I like it.
These 2 users liked this post: Sidney1st mybloodisclaret

Sidney1st
Been Liked: 3547 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Sidney1st » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:44 pm

Having someone as well known as Defour is important because it gets our name about.

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1217 times
Has Liked: 7177 times

Post by Quicknick » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:58 pm

I echo what has been said above. If SD has had a chat with SD and the latter is all fired up for the season, then it will be like a new signing and the best one of the summer.

1968claret
Been Liked: 504 times
Has Liked: 635 times

Post by 1968claret » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:13 pm

Diesel wrote:Even if you've just made that up, I like it.
100% true Diesel.
It was the reverent way in which he said Defour. He is clearly a legend over there.
The guy also New the ins and outs of our club and how our formation wasn't really suiting Defour etc.

BigChaCha
Been Liked: 253 times

Post by BigChaCha » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:22 pm

Simply isn't true because even when he was fit he was sat on the bench for a large part of the season and not playing games. Your completely making up shite about him feigning injury to suit your own agenda, do you understand how weird that is
Happens all the time on here. The nutcases have been saying it for years about PROFESSIONAL players not being fit enough, legs have gone, feigning injury and other related bull!

Belgianclaret

Post by Belgianclaret » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:00 pm

Spijed wrote:In Belgium, how is he regarded in comparison to the likes of Fellaini or De Bruyne?
Obviously different type of player, but certainly considered on equal par, and part of the same crop of the talented generation we've had over the last 10 years.

For me, De Bruyne is Belgium's best player because of his infiltrating passes (followed very closely by Hazard, who at international level has often disappointed). Fellaini obviously has more physical attributes, but a fit and motivated Defour - when playing at club level on a weekly basis - will return to the national fold very quickly.

I still believe we have a gem of a player who offers us something different and is the only real playmaker we have.

However, continental players like him, who are thrust into the limelight at a very young age sometimes require a little extra attention. I understand the gaffer's mentality to treat all players on equal par, so maybe a little word now and then between four eyes may work wonders. I presume they had a good heart to heart recently, because I'm sure he really wants to succeed at Burnley. He certainly adores the fans support he gets over here.

It's no secret he was unhappy on the bench and told the gaffer so. A shame Defour came in for unjustified criticism on here, going from not wanting to be here to feigning injuries.

SD decided to stick to his framework last season and achieved his goal. I still believe a slight tweak to the system will make us a better team. Add Defour to the experience and nous of Walters and the style of play of Cork, surround them by our trusted soldiers, and lets hope we go from strength to strength.
These 5 users liked this post: mybloodisclaret Quicknick Blackburnclaret Colburn_Claret ants_g

mybloodisclaret
Been Liked: 698 times
Has Liked: 4020 times

Post by mybloodisclaret » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:05 pm

Never given as many likes in 1 thread BC

Belgianclaret

Post by Belgianclaret » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:08 pm

mybloodisclaret wrote:Never given as many likes in 1 thread BC
That's enough manly love for now MBIC ;)

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3337 times
Has Liked: 1954 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:23 pm

Do you have a Defour tattoo?

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1217 times
Has Liked: 7177 times

Post by Quicknick » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:28 pm

Belgianclaret wrote:Obviously different type of player, but certainly considered on equal par, and part of the same crop of the talented generation we've had over the last 10 years.

For me, De Bruyne is Belgium's best player because of his infiltrating passes (followed very closely by Hazard, who at international level has often disappointed). Fellaini obviously has more physical attributes, but a fit and motivated Defour - when playing at club level on a weekly basis - will return to the national fold very quickly.

I still believe we have a gem of a player who offers us something different and is the only real playmaker we have.

However, continental players like him, who are thrust into the limelight at a very young age sometimes require a little extra attention. I understand the gaffer's mentality to treat all players on equal par, so maybe a little word now and then between four eyes may work wonders. I presume they had a good heart to heart recently, because I'm sure he really wants to succeed at Burnley. He certainly adores the fans support he gets over here.

It's no secret he was unhappy on the bench and told the gaffer so. A shame Defour came in for unjustified criticism on here, going from not wanting to be here to feigning injuries.

SD decided to stick to his framework last season and achieved his goal. I still believe a slight tweak to the system will make us a better team. Add Defour to the experience and nous of Walters and the style of play of Cork, surround them by our trusted soldiers, and lets hope we go from strength to strength.
Great post and better-written than most of the English posters.

mybloodisclaret
Been Liked: 698 times
Has Liked: 4020 times

Post by mybloodisclaret » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:31 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:Do you have a Defour tattoo?
No great idea though. May cover up my Apache Indian face up with a Defour one. If he stays, and plays as we know he can!!!

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:04 pm

Belgianclaret wrote: It's no secret he was unhappy on the bench and told the gaffer so. A shame Defour came in for unjustified criticism on here, going from not wanting to be here to feigning injuries.
Let's be a bit careful here. There's various sources for the suggestion that Defour, whilst not feigning injury, had a very different view of when it was appropriate for him to play when less than 100% fit than the club. I myself heard that from two different, very credible sources.

But hopefully, after a really tough pre-season, he's in the sort of shape that means all of this is behind us, and Defour won't be susceptible to the sorts of niggles that clearly caused some issues last season.

paulus the woodgnome
Been Liked: 258 times
Has Liked: 260 times

Post by paulus the woodgnome » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:12 pm

I would Kevin Keegan love it if Defour became the hub of the team.

Cubanclaret
Been Liked: 286 times
Has Liked: 139 times

Post by Cubanclaret » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:43 pm

Thierry Henry didn't have a particularly productive first season for arsenal.
He turned out ok.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3800 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:28 pm

claretspice wrote:Let's be a bit careful here. There's various sources for the suggestion that Defour, whilst not feigning injury, had a very different view of when it was appropriate for him to play when less than 100% fit than the club. I myself heard that from two different, very credible sources.

But hopefully, after a really tough pre-season, he's in the sort of shape that means all of this is behind us, and Defour won't be susceptible to the sorts of niggles that clearly caused some issues last season.
You heard it from CT, complete horseshxxe, my source told me that and my source is closer to Defour than your source. Source source

aggi
Been Liked: 2114 times

Post by aggi » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:10 pm

1968claret wrote:Was working in Helsinki a few weeks back and one of the other delegates was from Belgium.
I had a similar conversation when I was working at Lego in Denmark a few years talking about Brian Jensen (think it was either just prior to promotion with Coyle or during the first Premier League season).

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:14 pm

KRBFC wrote:You heard it from CT, complete horseshxxe, my source told me that and my source is closer to Defour than your source. Source source
Incorrect.

ExistentialWanderer
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by ExistentialWanderer » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:23 pm

My opinion of Defour. As was mentioned briefly above about Henry. The first season is sometimes a struggle. Especially if you're brought in mid season.
I think, with one more midfielder added we could allow Defour freedom to be more effective. I don't pretend to know what SD is thinking but the signings suggest he is trying to entertain Defour as a central and effective player.
He has talent but he is not a defensive midfielder and not a winger. I'm sure Dyche was working within his means. He's an upgrade on Arfield for me. Give him that space in front of a defensive midfield and behind the front 1/2 and he''ll be effective. He is not a player and never will be a workhorse. People need to give him time though.

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:17 pm

Bump

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5185 times
Has Liked: 803 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:27 pm

Diesel wrote:Bump
I really hope that he knuckles down and becomes the star that he's capable of this season.

I've no doubt that Dyche will play him, if he puts his face straight and stays injury free.
This user liked this post: Diesel

DCWat
Been Liked: 4139 times
Has Liked: 3603 times

Post by DCWat » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:29 pm

It's solely about his face!

Pearcey
Been Liked: 1149 times
Has Liked: 1443 times

Post by Pearcey » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:46 pm

Dyche singled him out for praise today. Also said it was good to get a full pre season into him as he was late arriving last season.
These 2 users liked this post: FactualFrank morpheus2

Cooperclaret
Been Liked: 283 times
Has Liked: 225 times

Post by Cooperclaret » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:53 pm

A class above today. Vital to us this season. A fit motivated Defour will play in the World Cup.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:55 pm

Cooperclaret wrote:A class above today. Vital to us this season. A fit motivated Defour will play in the World Cup.
I'm currently working with a guy from Belgium and we got onto the subject of football. I mentioned Defour and he says the people over there don't think too much of him. So maybe this season, he's putting himself in the shop window and also putting himself in the reckoning for next summer's World Cup. It could certainly help us, even if he is putting in 100% for a reason other than us doing well.

Cooperclaret
Been Liked: 283 times
Has Liked: 225 times

Post by Cooperclaret » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:57 pm

The gaffer's sorted it !

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:23 pm

Cooperclaret wrote:The gaffer's sorted it !
Spot on.

Bordeauxclaret

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:25 pm

I think we all thought he was on his way. At the moment things are looking very positive.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4139 times
Has Liked: 3603 times

Post by DCWat » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:38 pm

I so, so, so hope Defour stays and plays. I love his grumpy face and I want to see more of it.

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:39 pm

Platini said recently on Talk sport francais, 'Defour, Defour Viva Defour'!

bartons baggage
Been Liked: 597 times
Has Liked: 541 times

Post by bartons baggage » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:38 pm

A fit,focused motivated Defour,wow think about it.
I did and got a semi. :D

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:42 pm

bartons baggage wrote:A fit,focused motivated Defour,wow think about it.
I did and got a semi. :D
I'd be happy with the Quarters.
This user liked this post: bartons baggage

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:52 pm

Cooperclaret wrote:The gaffer's sorted it !
Sorting it will be finding a way for us to play that accommodates and gets the best out of Defour.

The worry is when the season starts for real Dyche will primarily want his midfield in a 4-4-2 to be defenders chasing round tackling and protecting the defence ahead of attacking and being creative which will not suit Defour and so he'll drop back to the bench and we'll be back to square one.

Its noticeable that the other player whose started the freindlys well is Brady who could suffer in the same way when his role becomes that of an additional fullback rather than an attacking winger

Sidney1st
Been Liked: 3547 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Sidney1st » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:54 pm

Nice to see Dyche is being given the chance to change his teams style....

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2633 times
Has Liked: 6445 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:59 pm

I have a feeling that Defour will have a massive effect on us this season, perhaps as influential as Mahrez was for Leicester.
This user liked this post: Diesel

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:02 pm

Rick_Muller wrote:I have a feeling that Defour will have a massive effect on us this season, perhaps as influential as Mahrez was for Leicester.
Me too, let's embrace this.
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:11 pm

Still can't see him starting centrally in a Dyche 4-4-2 in the league.

Wouldn't surprise me if he slotted in on the right, tucked in, same role Boyd had but with much more quality.

Bordeauxclaret

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:19 pm

Rick_Muller wrote:I have a feeling that Defour will have a massive effect on us this season, perhaps as influential as Mahrez was for Leicester.
I don't want to get carried away but....... could he fill the Renny Smith gap?