Is our transfer inactivity down to an unsettled manager?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Goodclaret
Been Liked: 543 times
Has Liked: 1512 times

Re: Is our transfer inactivity down to an unsettled manager?

Post by Goodclaret » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:49 am

Where the hell has SD come out and indicated he is unsettled?? The only brief interviews I've seen of him recently show a relaxed chap who appears to be very much looking forward to next seasons challenge. I was never worried he'd join Palace and I'm very, very sure he'll be our manager next season.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32526 times
Has Liked: 5276 times

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:55 am

Goodclaret wrote:Where the hell has SD come out and indicated he is unsettled??
Check who started the thread and it explains it
These 2 users liked this post: Goodclaret evensteadiereddie

ablueclaret
Been Liked: 403 times
Has Liked: 50 times

Post by ablueclaret » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:16 am

Of course SD will come out and say he's never wanted a move away but the available evidence suggests otherwise, after successfully negotiating Premier League waters last year it was his opportunity to get a more prestigious job, but it has not happened.
There do appear problems with retention of players, in some ways it has the feel of a relegated side trying to cling onto its stars.
Keane wanting away was understandable but Boyd?, and we know the futures of several other players rests in the balance.

My feeling is that SD believed he had take this club as far as he could, and he could sense the signs of disintegration from within. Now he has the task of renewing the squad and with it of course comes the opportunity to re-jig his framework.

We may be about to see more of a revolution than some think.

claretdom
Been Liked: 1693 times
Has Liked: 193 times

Post by claretdom » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:18 am

ablueclaret wrote:Of course SD will come out and say he's never wanted a move away but the available evidence suggests otherwise, after successfully negotiating Premier League waters last year it was his opportunity to get a more prestigious job, but it has not happened.
There do appear problems with retention of players, in some ways it has the feel of a relegated side trying to cling onto its stars.
Keane wanting away was understandable but Boyd?, and we know the futures of several other players rests in the balance.

My feeling is that SD believed he had take this club as far as he could, and he could sense the signs of disintegration from within. Now he has the task of renewing the squad and with it of course comes the opportunity to re-jig his framework.

With you being allowed to see things nobody else can with all matters at the club, what evidence have you he wanted to move away ? If you back this claim up with a bit of truth it would help everyone who can't see what you can.

If on the other hand your evidence is your feeling then you are being more stupid than normal with your negative ********

Caballo
Been Liked: 421 times
Has Liked: 433 times

Post by Caballo » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:23 am

You know you've reached the bottom when KRBFC posts on your thread and his comments seem reasoned and well articulated.
This user liked this post: Sidney1st

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:25 am

ablueclaret wrote:Of course SD will come out and say he's never wanted a move away but the available evidence suggests otherwise.
What is this evidence, and where is it available?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:26 am

ablueclaret wrote:My feeling is that SD believed he had take this club as far as he could
My feeling is that you are either a complete idiot or just on the wind up. Either way you are upsetting several members of this message board which I will not allow to continue.
These 3 users liked this post: Spijed evensteadiereddie fidelcastro

Guller Bull
Been Liked: 791 times
Has Liked: 1016 times

Post by Guller Bull » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:27 am

Another one on the ignore list!

ablueclaret

Post by ablueclaret » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:33 am

Such sensitive souls

FulledgeClaret
Been Liked: 132 times
Has Liked: 84 times

Post by FulledgeClaret » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:35 am

ablueclaret wrote:Of course SD will come out and say he's never wanted a move away but the available evidence suggests otherwise, after successfully negotiating Premier League waters last year it was his opportunity to get a more prestigious job, but it has not happened.

You reallly have no idea what your babbling on about do you, where is the 'available evidence' you speak of?, where was this opportunity to get a more pretigious job Crystal Palace where is the evidence they even approached the club to speak to him let alone him actually wanting to speak to them? Problems in player retention wtf are you on about Keane to Everton on a reported 100k a week 5 yr contract like we can compete with that or an ageing Boyd leaving at the end of his contract when if we are to improve (and that is the name of the game) we need better neither were interested in signing a new contract with us and thus we had no choice but to let them leave. Disintegration from within? evidence.

if you want to do nothing but whine and moan about a club falling apart from within can I suggest you p1ss off 12 miles down the road or maybe take a trip up the M61 to Horwich you will have plenty to moan about then.
These 3 users liked this post: Goodclaret Juan Tanamera elwaclaret

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:37 am

Not sensitive souls - people are just sick of your repetitive bullshite and attempts to disrupt this messageboard. You're not a supporter so you should just **** off elsewhere.

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:40 am

Ablue has gone from fishing with a Greenwell's Glory to using a Mills' Bomb.

3/10 for subtlety, 8/10 for effectiveness.
These 2 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie elwaclaret

ablueclaret

Post by ablueclaret » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:42 am

I say it as I see it, we have had an unsettling 2 months with as yet nothing positive on the horizon.
Yes the dust appears to be settling and I'd expect some incomings before long but if we lose Gray, Keane, Boyd, Barton and Defour. that will be the sort of loss one would have expected if we had been relegated.
SD has a huge task ahead because it's last years players who are the ones this season will largely depend on because as we know from last season few incoming players ever get up to speed in their first year to fit into his framework.

That's why I'm hinting the framework will have to change.

ablueclaret

Post by ablueclaret » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:45 am

As you can see from my Corbyn thread I do not tow the party line. I am a Labour member but I fight the corner of radical pragmatism, I have followed Burnley for over 60 years but I'm not a SD sychophant.
You don't have to read what I put, ignore it if it is so irrelevant.
I think you know there is more than a grain of truth in it, and that is what goads you.

claretdom
Been Liked: 1693 times
Has Liked: 193 times

Post by claretdom » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:46 am

You are neglecting your allotment

jlup1980
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 531 times

Post by jlup1980 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:49 am

Our transfer inactivity is more likely down to agents than Dyche. They'll be touting players to all who'll listen and I'm fairly sure Burnley won't be the number one destination for many. We will continue to do the things we've done well over the past few years by keeping our cards close to our chests and getting the right type of players over the line. No point signing players chasing money, we need committed players and Dyche is good at finding the right ones. Have faith man!!
This user liked this post: Down_Rover

ablueclaret

Post by ablueclaret » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:55 am

This has nothing to do with faith, we may well yet get some good signings in but whether they will be up to speed in time is beginning to be the question.
It's the leavers that concern me more, the want aways and misfits.
A clubs success is largely based on the season before, it appears as if we are going to lose several key members that made success possible, and the belief that newcomers will fill those gaps is not born out by recent reality.

Last season I was disappointed we didn't get in the top 10, unlike many doubters on here I believed with the defence we had we could afford to be bolder and that that would have paid off.
There are supporters who are happy with anything and then there are those who think more is achievable some fall into one camp some into another.

ablueclaret

Post by ablueclaret » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:56 am

My three allotments are doing fine claretdom, any Claret visiting Lacock Abbey is welcome to visit, just look out for the three most productive ones.

FulledgeClaret
Been Liked: 132 times
Has Liked: 84 times

Post by FulledgeClaret » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:01 am

ablueclaret wrote:My three allotments are doing fine claretdom, any Claret visiting Lacock Abbey is welcome to visit, just look out for the three most productive ones.
I'm not surprised they are doing well with all the sh1t you seem to have to fertilize them with.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:04 am

So Ablueclaret spends loads of time fertilizing his allotments?

The plot thickens.
These 3 users liked this post: Goodclaret Rileybobs DCWat

ablueclaret

Post by ablueclaret » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:05 am

Nettles and comfrey the answer to all life's little tribulations.

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3603 times
Has Liked: 1032 times

Post by jedi_master » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:05 am

Getting really bored of this fantastic forum getting clogged up with the trolling bullshit of ablueclaret and Saxoman. They add nothing to the conversation, it's always the same posts delivered in various different methods with the sole intention of winding people up.
These 2 users liked this post: Andingle Juan Tanamera

ablueclaret

Post by ablueclaret » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:06 am

There are a few more threads Jedi, I think you protest too much.

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4071 times
Has Liked: 1853 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:07 am

Will a combination of nettles and comfrey get rid of you?

Because you're OUR tribulation.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:08 am

"Fertilising his allotments"

A metaphor for rubbing cream on your farmer Giles ?

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1600 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:35 am

Ablue, it's the way you write headlines that sound negative or critical of the club that really upsets us.

Yes, several key players are leaving but you know what....given the funds from their sales and the existing bank balance, the Club and Sean have a real opportunity to bring in some first class players.

Sean, the recruitment team and the management aren't sat in their allotment deckchairs. Have more faith! Why should you trust them? Simply look at the last few years and all that has been achieved.

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 781 times
Has Liked: 1435 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:38 am

ablueclaret wrote:It all appears very downbeat at present, the footballing equivalent of the Marie Celeste.
No

Sleeping Cat
Been Liked: 164 times
Has Liked: 33 times

Post by Sleeping Cat » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:41 am

I'm going to defend Ablue here.

The thread title aims to propose a question for discussion but others have jumped in first with the usual responses of him to "go away" and "stop" posting, halting what could be an interesting discussion.

Ablue's negative conjecture annoys me a little too, but sometimes other are too quick to try and shoot him down. He opened a discussion with an interesting question and the question should be met with better responses than the ones he immediately received.

Ablue, in response to you OP, I don't think our transfer inactivity is down to an unsettled manager. This isn't to say that Dyche didn't consider the prospect of becoming the Palace boss, he comes across as the type of character that would look at a potential opportunity of advancing his career (he has said as much himself previously with remarks like "I wont be here forever"), but I also don't think he would let it get in the way of his current job. He comes across far to professional for that.

I don't think we are being inactive in the transfer market though. There's a difference between inactive and invisible activity. As a club we have always kept our cards close to our chest and let little out of the bag. Taylor seems to be in that bag and as frustrating as the waiting is, it's just how we do our business. There will be other deals and targets being progressed, we & the wider media will only find out when someone's agent blabs to their media mate who want to be seen as a transfer know it all on twitter
Last edited by Sleeping Cat on Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
These 2 users liked this post: Turfytop elwaclaret

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:43 am

Common error to call it 'Marie Celeste'. It's was actually the 'Mary Celeste'.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:47 am

Sleeping Cat wrote:There will be other deals and targets being progressed, we & the wider media will only find out when someone's agent blabs to their media mate who want to be seen as a transfer know it all on twitter
That sums up how it works today

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1489 times
Has Liked: 1847 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:49 am

Boro bought early last year and bought dross.I would sooner we bought nobody than waste money like we did on Juke and Sordell.We've got lots of time yet and the journos have to provide stories hence the loads of non starters with been linked with

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1217 times
Has Liked: 7188 times

Post by Quicknick » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:55 am

Taylor should be signing soon. What's the big sweat?

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:01 pm

Saxoman wrote:Saxo, Blackburn rovers fan, likes this. ;)

Blackburn fans!?

Are there any left!?

"I'll only go back on Ewood when Steve Keane goes"

He's gone lads. You can dig that old crown paints shirt out from the mid 90s out, from the back of the wardrobe.

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:04 pm

ablueclaret wrote:It all appears very downbeat at present, the footballing equivalent of the Marie Celeste.
Don't fret Roger the Cabin Boy.

Things are going to get interesting, as the Goodship Dyche takes to the footballing high seas.

Saxoman
Been Liked: 577 times
Has Liked: 147 times

Post by Saxoman » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:08 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:Blackburn fans!?

Are there any left!?

"I'll only go back on Ewood when Steve Keane goes"

He's gone lads. You can dig that old crown paints shirt out from the mid 90s out, from the back of the wardrobe.
I was only joking, people are getting really upset now, so I'll stop. :(

ExistentialWanderer
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by ExistentialWanderer » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:43 pm

The thing is. The window has only been open four days. The boys aren't even training yet! Garlick said patience and I'd rather wait (impatiently) for signings than just throw a net out and catch who you can!
It's not how you start, it's how you finish and I have a sneaky feeling we'll do better than some/most think this season come May.

ExistentialWanderer
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by ExistentialWanderer » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:49 pm

Simply. O.P. Really?!

scamander
Been Liked: 50 times
Has Liked: 23 times

Post by scamander » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:11 pm

I'm disgusted that we never signed Valdes or Negredo...oh...hang on...

ablueclaret

Post by ablueclaret » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:24 pm

We will see over the next few weeks just how settled the club is.
I fancy SD wanted a change of scenery.
The thing about signing players is that they have to feel they have a future at the club, and that the club has a good future, and that is bound up with the manager. When there is uncertainty about the manager's future it necessarily affects recruitment.

Hopefully in 6 weeks time we will see as Mr Garlick put it a stronger squad, it will be an interesting period.

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:29 pm

ablueclaret wrote:We will see over the next few weeks just how settled the club is.
I fancy SD wanted a change of scenery.
You said there was evidence available, now it's just a "fancy".

I fancy you haven't got a clue.

ablueclaret

Post by ablueclaret » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:38 pm

I said the available evidence suggested he fancied the Palace job ie he wanted a move.
The other evidence is that several players appear to want out, as to whether they will all go we will have to wait and see.

The other evidence I offer is the fact that it usually takes nearly a season for recruited players to fit into SD's framework so we have to look at what is left from last years squad to do the business.

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:42 pm

You still haven't told us what this evidence is.

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2219 times
Has Liked: 2210 times

Post by fidelcastro » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:45 pm

Tall Paul wrote:You still haven't told us what this evidence is.
He doesn't have any.

The reason why he doesn't have any is because he's a belmtard!

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:48 pm

ablueclaret wrote:I said the available evidence suggested he fancied the Palace job ie he wanted a move.
The other evidence is that several players appear to want out, as to whether they will all go we will have to wait and see.

The other evidence I offer is the fact that it usually takes nearly a season for recruited players to fit into SD's framework so we have to look at what is left from last years squad to do the business.
What available evidence?

Keane was always going to go. Defour wouldn't be a surprise, Boyd wasn't a surprise (I can see what he wanted a longer option), Gray - who knows. We have always been a club that will sell our best players and always will be, it doesn't mean that there is an issue. Just reading Keane's comments suggests the opposite.

You know full well the reaction you are trying to provoke with your posts, if you don't you're stupid, but I genuinely don't think that to be the case. The only conclusion can be that you're deliberately trying to wind people up.

You do raise valid points in your posts - if only you could decide to present them in a more balanced and less provocative way. How anyone can fail to accept and acknowledge the positives at our club at the moment is beyond belief.

Give it a try Ablue, change your approach (not necessarily your view) you might find the messageboard experience to be much more enjoyable.
This user liked this post: elwaclaret

brigante
Been Liked: 240 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Post by brigante » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:07 pm

No, it's evidence of the machinations of a conveyor belt of talent which, if our club continues to be run as well as it is, will hopefully long continue.

Erasmus
Been Liked: 574 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Erasmus » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:13 pm

It seems pretty obvious why we are a bit slower than some in transfer windows. The players we want to bring in are good players who might be able to get a move to a more established and affluent Premier League club. Hence they are waiting to see what offers come in before making a commitment to Burnley.

ablueclaret

Post by ablueclaret » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:16 pm

I find this messageboard quite enjoyable as it is.
Of course I give my threads titles that provoke a conversation, that's the purpose of messageboards.
Of course none of us know absolutely that SD wanted away but the fact he never challenged the debate suggests he did. Luckily for him Palace in the end didn't want him it would have been an unhappy marriage, perhaps he himself realised that.
For a number of reasons we look like losing some important team players, Flanagan Boyd Keane and Barton already gone, and talk of Defour and Gray, that is half a side.
My fancy and it is but a fancy is that SD knew this was coming and decided he would prefer to get out rather than rebuild, but now that option has gone I expect him to set about the business of bringing fresh blood in.
In some ways his failure to get the Palace job has also closed down his chances on others, it now looks more likely that he and the club will have their futures intertwined for several more years, not something I relish but obviously something attractive to most on here.

ClaretSteve
Been Liked: 50 times
Has Liked: 22 times

Post by ClaretSteve » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:20 pm

To be fair the amount of abuse OP takes from some people. If thrown against other members of the board would not just be ignored.

I also think that while I certainly do not agree with half of what he puts. The reason it strikes a nerve with so many people is becasue there is sometimes a glimpse of truth in there that they do not want to see.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:24 pm

ablueclaret wrote:I find this messageboard quite enjoyable as it is.
Of course I give my threads titles that provoke a conversation, that's the purpose of messageboards.
Of course none of us know absolutely that SD wanted away but the fact he never challenged the debate suggests he did. Luckily for him Palace in the end didn't want him it would have been an unhappy marriage, perhaps he himself realised that.
For a number of reasons we look like losing some important team players, Flanagan Boyd Keane and Barton already gone, and talk of Defour and Gray, that is half a side.
My fancy and it is but a fancy is that SD knew this was coming and decided he would prefer to get out rather than rebuild, but now that option has gone I expect him to set about the business of bringing fresh blood in.
In some ways his failure to get the Palace job has also closed down his chances on others, it now looks more likely that he and the club will have their futures intertwined for several more years, not something I relish but obviously something attractive to most on here.
Provoking conversation is fine, it's the provoking to cause frustration that actually hinders the former.

I've said for a while that I think Dyche needs to show that he can progress his style and adapt a more. At the same time though, there has to be a realisation of where we are at.

Presently I see us as a Stoke when they first stayed up. Not pleasing on the eye but effective. If we can emulate them by gradually introducing more football in to our play, I will be delighted.

I also think that doing so will bring those opportunities to move upwards to a bigger club, to Dyche.

ablueclaret

Post by ablueclaret » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:44 pm

DCWat I fancy you worry too much about some on here, they actually revel in having someone to insult, and that's fine by me, better me than their loved one's.
Mind you some could do with a little bit of that Mr Zen that Corbyn is supposed to have found. Poser.