Modern day football tranfers fees and wages

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Yearofthefox
Been Liked: 16 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Modern day football tranfers fees and wages

Post by Yearofthefox » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:58 am

I know most proper football fans question this but how long until it all implodes?

The funding of international TV rights is not guaranteed to last.....

starting_11
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 836 times

Re: Modern day football tranfers fees and wages

Post by starting_11 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:00 am

Who cares?

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:25 am

starting_11 wrote:Who cares?
Obviously not you which begs the question why post on the thread in the first place?

It's a fair enough subject. Doesn't seem that long ago people were regularly talking about the first £100m player, but I don't think it'll be that long before a player is signed for £200m on £1m a week. Sickening really.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32546 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:29 am

I'm sure it was John Terry who a few years ago was holding out for around £120,000 pw before signing a new contract. That is probably, now, considered a small wage at some of the top clubs. I know it's a short career but there are some seriously rich people playing football now. Even at Burnley we'll be making our players millionaires.

I don't know when the implosion will come, but it surely will one day.

ExistentialWanderer
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by ExistentialWanderer » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:38 am

I remember when Roy Keane demanded £52k to sign a new contract for Utd. The media went nuts! That's par for the course for a lower Premier League side these days.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32546 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:39 am

ExistentialWanderer wrote:I remember when Roy Keane demanded £52k to sign a new contract for Utd. The media went nuts! That's par for the course for a lower Premier League side these days.
And long haired Championship signings in South Yorkshire :D

ExistentialWanderer
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by ExistentialWanderer » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:40 am

ClaretTony wrote:And long haired Championship signings in South Yorkshire :D
Fair point that Tony. Seems even Championship clubs can afford it these days.

Mala591
Been Liked: 685 times
Has Liked: 429 times

Post by Mala591 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:49 am

If you want to make a personal protest against the 'obscene' wages, transfer fees etc. then the answer is simple. Cancel your Sky sports subscription.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3875 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:58 am

While there are foreign owners willing to take on clubs when other owners have lost their money, it will keep on going.

The government won't step in as they get loads of tax or should do from the game.

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1181 times
Has Liked: 637 times

Post by Tribesmen » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:12 am

ITV digital anyone ?
Sky have it coming and I think they know it too .

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4074 times
Has Liked: 1853 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:33 am

In February, 1905, Alf Common became the first footballer to be transferred for £1000
when he signed for Middleborough from Sunderland.
The fee caused a scandal and questions were asked in Parliament with predictions
that "such exorbitant fees would cause the downfall of the sport."

So it seems the bubble is a long time in bursting.

Wouldn't worry too much about it, they did a study on Newsnight last year and the
consensus of opinion was that if anything, it will only get bigger, with appetite for the game,
particularly the English game, insatiable in places like the Far East and Asia in general.

And hey ho, if the worst comes to the worst, coats will be cut according to the reduced amount of cloth.
No point fretting. Enjoy it while it lasts.

aggi
Been Liked: 2123 times

Post by aggi » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:13 am

For the big teams I think it will keep on going for a while yet. The next obvious thing to exploit is streaming of games, selling a "season ticket" to watch Man Utd on-line. I imagine it will come in overseas first and then, eventually, into the domestic markets.

That will kill off the collective rights deals and the equal(ish) share of money which will give big problems for teams like Burnley. That in turn will make our league less competitive and less attractive.

The next logical step, as interest starts to wane due to one-sided matches between the haves and the have-nots, will be an invitation only European league. A few years in they'll probably add a token Asian or US team plus "guest" games in other countries like the NFL do.

Domestic football will be far lower quality with much less money involved, with the leagues being dominated by "B" teams from the European league teams and other clubs becoming feeder teams.

That's what I reckon.

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1826 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:33 am

Not in our lifetime.
It can still go on for a long time provided as there are emerging markets to expand into, which there are.

Prices and market saturation has probably peaked in the UK so we feel more worried or convinced it's going to go wrong soon.
The league has sold rights dirt cheap to other countries who were less interested in UK football, as the fan base grows though you can bet prices will go up.

As for killing off the equal payments I'm not sure that will be possible, the Premier League is run as a corporation with each club owning a share and a vote, with a majority needed to effect any large scale changes.

Holtyclaret
Been Liked: 345 times
Has Liked: 1571 times

Post by Holtyclaret » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:49 am

I was helping my son do a school project the other night, he was putting together a talk on Footballers incomes over the years versus the countries average wage/salary.

I had a root through my Dads contracts with Bury, Oldham and Burnley, dating back from apprentice with Bury in 1967. If anyone wanted to see some of the contracts and bonus related paperwork its fascinating, even back in that day and age. It must take quite a skilled payroll clerk to calculate weekly/monthly players payslips. I would happily photo a few and post them on here.

Anyway, my Dads P60 for 1982 was in there. His total earnings from Burnley, including promotion bonuses etc was £11,500 less tax for the year! The national average wage for that year was circa £6k pa.

Players don't know they are born nowadays and an implosion / re-working / salary cap must be on the horizon in the next 10 years or so.
These 2 users liked this post: randomclaret2 DCWat

Sidney1st
Been Liked: 3548 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Sidney1st » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:58 am

ClaretTony wrote:And long haired Championship signings in South Yorkshire :D
Were those seriously his wage demands?

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:02 pm

If I remember rightly, John Terry's 120k a week also cause a fuss because he wanted a clause in his contract that he would always be the clubs highest earner, so if someone signed for £150k, his wage would be £151k for instance.

I was actually surprised by Spurs' wage bill this year as I don't think anyone touched 100k p/w, with many regular first teamers on 50-70k. It's a lot, granted, but as daft/awful/great (depending on your POV) as it sounds, we aren't actually that far away from being able to afford that ourselves.

Darthlaw
Been Liked: 1185 times
Has Liked: 418 times

Post by Darthlaw » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:07 pm

Messi has apparently just signed a contract extension at £500k per week.

International tv rights deals will still see the premier league through, I think, however in the UK SKY has some real thinking to do to figure out what they're going to do to protect their slowly dwindling revenue streams, thanks to Kodi and the like.

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 982 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by kentonclaret » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:12 pm

When Jaroslav Drobny won the Wimbledon title in 1954 he was given a £50 voucher to spend in Selfridges. Because he was flying out that evening he never got to spend it and gave it to a friend. This year's Wimbledon winner will be slightly better off in terms of prize money.

Holtyclaret
Been Liked: 345 times
Has Liked: 1571 times

Post by Holtyclaret » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:50 pm

£500k a week is a WOW amount of money, WOW!

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:31 pm

aggi wrote:For the big teams I think it will keep on going for a while yet. The next obvious thing to exploit is streaming of games, selling a "season ticket" to watch Man Utd on-line. I imagine it will come in overseas first and then, eventually, into the domestic markets.

That will kill off the collective rights deals and the equal(ish) share of money which will give big problems for teams like Burnley. That in turn will make our league less competitive and less attractive.

The next logical step, as interest starts to wane due to one-sided matches between the haves and the have-nots, will be an invitation only European league. A few years in they'll probably add a token Asian or US team plus "guest" games in other countries like the NFL do.

Domestic football will be far lower quality with much less money involved, with the leagues being dominated by "B" teams from the European league teams and other clubs becoming feeder teams.

That's what I reckon.
A European Super League has been muted for decades and still hasn't materialized, although the Champions League is a smaller business model of this, but even the Champions League interest is dwindling especially in the early rounds. Most people on this forum could predict the last 8 now and be pretty accurate and therein lies the danger for broadcasters, if sport becomes predictable viewers will switch off.Sky love hyping up fixtures, and also an underdog story, which is why they where thrilled about Leicester's title glory. The great marketing tool for the Premier League is that anyone can beat the so-called big teams, in fact this is happening more regularly by the season, and with the redistribution of tv monies even the newly promoted sides now have a realistic shot at competing,in Germany,Spain and France this is not the case unless like Leipzig a club is bankrolled.From Burnley's POV we should continue with our slow growth, hopefully into an established Premier League side, but this should not be at all costs, any downturn will affect clubs like us much harder then the big boys.