Bargains abroad.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
KRBFC
Been Liked: 3803 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Bargains abroad.

Post by KRBFC » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:57 pm

Sandro Ramirez £5m from Malaga, U21 Spanish international scored more La Liga goals than Assombalonga scored Championship goals.

Javier Hernandez £13M release clause.

Dani Ceballos £14M to Madrid.

Of course Hernandez would never sign here nor could we afford to pay him I used him as an example of bargains available abroad from most players in Spain and Germany having release clauses inserted into contracts. Why are we not taking advantage of this? Pablo Fornals another excellent young Spanish player who will no doubt sell for less than Brady/Assombalonga. We should be swooping in before these other clubs have time to react. Sandro Ramirez would have been fantastic here yet we sit around and just allow sides like Everton to beat us to these players. We need more foreign players, preferably Spanish or Brazilian.

Forget Assombalonga and these other overpriced Donkeys, £15M for a striker who cant stay fit. Just go and buy Ontiveros, Fornals, Jonathan Viera, Lemos. Roque Mesa linked with a £12M move to Swansea another fantastic player for Las Palmas, even though hes a midget.

If I can find these players by watching La Liga, how hard can it be?

KefkaClaret
Been Liked: 468 times
Has Liked: 190 times

Re: Bargains abroad.

Post by KefkaClaret » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:04 pm

I think the wages are more of a problem over the fee. Hermandez is supposedly on £100,000+. We can afford it that. The problem with that however is ultimately would lead the entire squad to demand a higher wage if someone is on double the highest earner. I agree with the sentiment that it would be good if we looked abroad more.

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1831 times
Has Liked: 2633 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:05 pm

KRBFC wrote:Sandro Ramirez £5m from Malaga, U21 Spanish international scored more La Liga goals than Assombalonga scored Championship goals.

Of course Hernandez would never sign here nor could we afford to pay him I used him as an example of bargains available abroad from most players in Spain and Germany having release clauses inserted into contracts. Why are we not taking advantage of this? Pablo Fornals another excellent young Spanish player who will no doubt sell for less than Brady/Assombalonga. We should be swooping in before these other clubs have time to react. Sandro Ramirez would have been fantastic here yet we sit around and just allow sides like Everton to beat us to these players. We need more foreign players, preferably Spanish or Brazilian.

Forget Assombalonga and these other overpriced Donkeys, £15M for a striker who cant stay fit. Just go and buy Ontiveros, Fornals, Jonathan Viera, Lemos. Roque Mesa linked with a £12M move to Swansea another fantastic player for Las Palmas, even though hes a midget.

Not difficult to name players as you have done, however, persuading them to leave their current environment to ply their trade at Burnley may just prove to be a problem. We have not exactly been a 'name' in the past 25 years and, unfortunately, that is all that counts these days. We certainly don't come into the same league as Everton as far as reputation is concerned.

dpinsussex
Been Liked: 1047 times
Has Liked: 1187 times

Post by dpinsussex » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:07 pm

Cigarettes and alcohol are usually bargsins abroad :)

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:11 pm

Sandro Ramirez....a player who has his screwed on and has chosen his career path wisely so far. Believes he ia due to go to the top and is willing to use clubs as a stepping stones. This is what Malaga was. It is also what Everton are. It is what he sees as the next stage in his evolution. No chance he would have left Malaga for a club who wouldnt be fighting for a place in Europe

Ceballos to Madrid says it all really

Pablo Fornals agreed a 80k a week deal earlier in the year for a move to Valencia then pulled out of the deal when he became aware of interest from Arsenal who were seeking a replacement for Ox.

ayrshireclaret83
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 36 times

Post by ayrshireclaret83 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:11 pm

KRBFC wrote:Sandro Ramirez £5m from Malaga, U21 Spanish international scored more La Liga goals than Assombalonga scored Championship goals.

Think mesa is already at Swansea hence why we got Jack

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3340 times
Has Liked: 1959 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:27 pm

Someone's spent their time off playing Football Manager.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:28 pm

You are right in that we should be looking abroad. In terms of creative mids the best domestic option was Cairney, and Fulham have made it quite clear we'd have to shell out north of 20m for him.

One only has to look at Tadic and Mane for Southampton - both cost 12/13m. We need to broaden our vision.

Sidney1st
Been Liked: 3548 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Sidney1st » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:37 pm

Why is Cairney the best option?

willsclarets
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 133 times

Post by willsclarets » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:38 pm

You can't use Hernandez as an example, and then a few sentences later contradict yourself by saying he'd never come. Well you can, but it undermines what you're asking of the club somewhat.
I don't doubt there are bargains to be had in Europe, but they aren't risk free.

I believe some of our success is rooted in a domestic squad with characters sd knows will gel. It's the cornerstone of his strategy in fact. Finding that Kante from a club like Caen is the golden goose, but for every Kante there's a hundred duds.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11049 times
Has Liked: 5658 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:39 pm

Not often I agree with KR but he/she is not wrong on this at all

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:42 pm

Yes there are bargains abroad but you also have to take into consideration the stature of the Burnley in the game.

West Ham signed some lad from abroad the other year on £15k a week deals with the promise of vastly improved deals if they proved themselves.
They can do that because they're a better known club and have proven they can and will pay the better money.

We would have to pay the better money first.

Also, the stature of the manager matters.
Clements, for example, is better known across Europe so can attract a player that maybe we can't.
Same for Everton and Koeman.

We were lucky we got Defour, but there must be a reason no one else snuck in first.
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:55 pm

willsclarets wrote:You can't use Hernandez as an example, and then a few sentences later contradict yourself by saying he'd never come. Well you can, but it undermines what you're asking of the club somewhat.
I don't doubt there are bargains to be had in Europe, but they aren't risk free.

I believe some of our success is rooted in a domestic squad with characters sd knows will gel. It's the cornerstone of his strategy in fact. Finding that Kante from a club like Caen is the golden goose, but for every Kante there's a hundred duds.
I used Hernandez as an example regarding the amount of releases clauses abroad and the quality available at cut prices compared with players like Assombalonga. You can say that but how many stand out Championship players have been duds in the PL? There's no guarantees with any player signed regardless of what division/country they come from.

Socrates
Been Liked: 912 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by Socrates » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:56 pm

Borja Baston
Lucas Perez
Georges Kevin-Ndoujou
Clinton N'Jie
Ahmed Musa
Sofiane Boufal
Vincent Janssen
Simone Zaza

All excellent in other top leagues in Europe. All gash in the Premier League last season.

It takes a special kind of nonsense to pronounce Sandro Ramirez a bargain before he's kicked a ball for Everton.

And Dani Ceballos!!!!!! Guy turned down Barcelona Ffs.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:00 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:Sandro Ramirez....a player who has his screwed on and has chosen his career path wisely so far. Believes he ia due to go to the top and is willing to use clubs as a stepping stones. This is what Malaga was. It is also what Everton are. It is what he sees as the next stage in his evolution. No chance he would have left Malaga for a club who wouldnt be fighting for a place in Europe

Ceballos to Madrid says it all really

Pablo Fornals agreed a 80k a week deal earlier in the year for a move to Valencia then pulled out of the deal when he became aware of interest from Arsenal who were seeking a replacement for Ox.
The whole point of me naming players were to highlight the bargains available abroad. I didn't mention Sandro or Ceballos as potential signings because, as I pointed out, they have already moved clubs.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2624 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:01 pm

Just the other day, I was thinking about Jelle Vossen.

Socrates

Post by Socrates » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:02 pm

Socrates wrote:There is no way he'd have come to us.

He had a clause in his contract letting him go for such a small sum. He was going to Atletico Madrid before their transfer ban.

He's a bit of a coup for Everton. Way out of our league, and I'm not somebody who says things like that.

I also posted this on the 5th of July explaining why Sandro was an impossible signing for us.

Strangely you didn't respond.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:06 pm

Socrates wrote:Borja Baston
Lucas Perez
Georges Kevin-Ndoujou
Clinton N'Jie
Ahmed Musa
Sofiane Boufal
Vincent Janssen
Simone Zaza

All excellent in other top leagues in Europe. All gash in the Premier League last season.

It takes a special kind of nonsense to pronounce Sandro Ramirez a bargain before he's kicked a ball for Everton.

And Dani Ceballos!!!!!! Guy turned down Barcelona Ffs.
Where did I say we should sign Dani Ceballos? I used him as an example to highlight the quality available at prices abroad compared with players like Assombalonga/Brady.

£5M for a Spanish U21 international who scored 16/17 goals in La Liga last year. They could sell him right now for more if they wanted, so its obviously a bargain.

I disagree with half your list, Perez wasn't given a chance at Arsenal. Spurs signed the two Marseille lads as youngsters not first team regulars. Baston was gash I agree. Musa and Janssen didnt play in Spain or Germany, they played in **** poor leagues like Russian and Dutch.

Socrates

Post by Socrates » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:14 pm

KRBFC wrote:Where did I say we should sign Dani Ceballos? I used him as an example to highlight the quality available at prices abroad compared with players like Assombalonga/Brady.

But we can't sign them - by your own admission - so the price is moot.

It's like digging the club out for not getting Zlatan last year. He was cheap, right?

Give me a list of players the right price that it's plausible we could sign. Then it's a valid point rather than specious nonsense.
This user liked this post: Lord Beamish

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:21 pm

Socrates wrote:But we can't sign them - by your own admission - so the price is moot.

It's like digging the club out for not getting Zlatan last year. He was cheap, right?

Give me a list of players the right price that it's plausible we could sign. Then it's a valid point rather than specious nonsense.
Ok so you admit I said we can't sign them, so why did you act like I said we should sign Ceballos (a guy who's just moved to Madrid on a 6 year contract)?

Interestingly I was apparently talking nonsense by saying £5M for Sandro was a bargain but you said Sandro was a coup for Everton. Strange.

You're clearly trying to argue for the sake of it so Ill leave you to it. I simply raised a point about how I think we should be exploiting the Spanish/German league because alot of the players have buyout clauses and I think we would find better value for money than targeting overpriced players in the Championship. I used Hernandez/Sandro/Ceballos as examples of the quality available due to buyout clauses in contracts never did I suggest we buy any of them and pay Hernandez £130k p/w.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:26 pm

KRBFC wrote:I used Hernandez as an example regarding the amount of releases clauses abroad and the quality available at cut prices compared with players like Assombalonga. You can say that but how many stand out Championship players have been duds in the PL?
Probably fewer of them than highly rated foreign imports.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:30 pm

Tall Paul wrote:Probably fewer of them than highly rated foreign imports.
Probably because most clubs don't buy Championship players. Struggling to remember a Championship player signed by a PL club last summer (apart from us obviously).

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:37 pm

KRBFC wrote:Probably because most clubs don't buy Championship players. Struggling to remember a Championship player signed by a PL club last summer (apart from us obviously).
Bit of a stupid question then, wasn't it?

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:40 pm

Tall Paul wrote:Bit of a stupid question then, wasn't it?
Not really if you consider 3 squads stacked with standout Championship players are promoted every season and tend to struggle.

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:43 pm

KRBFC wrote:Not really if you consider 3 squads stacked with standout Championship players are promoted every season and tend to struggle.
Maybe you should come up with a better answer to my post #21 then, because your previous answer doesn't seem to be relevant.

boyyanno
Been Liked: 515 times
Has Liked: 117 times

Post by boyyanno » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:45 pm

Definitely plenty of good talent abroad and good value in terms of transfer fees. There are a couple of issues though. In terms of wages they'll get taxed a hell of a lot over here, so they aren't cheap. The other is that a lot seem to be earmarked by bigger clubs which makes it difficult to attract them, and our squad isn't exactly diverse nationality wise. How would a foreign player feel about joining up with a third of the Irish squad, It could be a very lonely place for some.

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1831 times
Has Liked: 2633 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:50 pm

KRBFC wrote:Probably because most clubs don't buy Championship players. Struggling to remember a Championship player signed by a PL club last summer (apart from us obviously).
Apart from those signed by us there were at least 10 Championship players signed by PL clubs last summer plus a few from League 1 and League 2.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:51 pm

Tall Paul wrote:Maybe you should come up with a better answer to my post #21 then, because your previous answer doesn't seem to be relevant.
I don't understand what you expect, the point I was making is that there is risk with signing all players regardless of the league they're signed from. Whether there is more risk with signing players from La Liga compared with the Championship is impossible to say and I am not willing to give an answer either way because I can't be bothered to argue with you over petty sh**.

Socrates

Post by Socrates » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:53 pm

KRBFC wrote:Ok so you admit I said we can't sign them, so why did you act like I said we should sign Ceballos (a guy who's just moved to Madrid on a 6 year contract)?

Interestingly I was apparently talking nonsense by saying £5M for Sandro was a bargain but you said Sandro was a coup for Everton. Strange.

Your opening post asks why we aren't taking advantage of this.

Taking advantage of what? Because by your own admission your three examples are impossible for us to get.

Is your question "why aren't we signing these players it isn't possible for us to sign?"

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:53 pm

Ashingtonclaret46 wrote:Apart from those signed by us there were at least 10 Championship players signed by PL clubs last summer plus a few from League 1 and League 2.
Out of interest can you name them?

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Everton signed the lad from Charlton, attacking mid/striker, Lookman??

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:56 pm

Stoke signed Grant.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:56 pm

Socrates wrote:Your opening post asks why we aren't taking advantage of this.

Taking advantage of what? Because by your own admission your three examples are impossible for us to get.

Is your question "why aren't we signing these players it isn't possible for us to sign?"
No because I never said we should sign Ceballos, Hernandez or Sandro.
The foreign market and the Spanish league where nearly every player has a buyout clause in their contract. If you need to ask me that question you're either incredibly slow or acting stupid to be argumentative.

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:57 pm

Maybe in your OP you should've mentioned players we have a chance of signing?

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:58 pm

Sidney1st wrote:Everton signed the lad from Charlton, attacking mid/striker, Lookman??
Yeah I thought of him, wasn't sure if he counted or not.

bartons baggage
Been Liked: 597 times
Has Liked: 541 times

Post by bartons baggage » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:58 pm

KRBFC wrote:I don't understand what you expect, the point I was making is that there is risk with signing all players regardless of the league they're signed from. Whether there is more risk with signing players from La Liga compared with the Championship is impossible to say and I am not willing to give an answer either way because I can't be bothered to argue with you over petty sh**.
Have you ever wondered why every thread your'e involved in ends up in arguments?.

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:00 pm

KRBFC wrote:I don't understand what you expect, the point I was making is that there is risk with signing all players regardless of the league they're signed from. Whether there is more risk with signing players from La Liga compared with the Championship is impossible to say and I am not willing to give an answer either way because I can't be bothered to argue with you over petty sh**.
What's petty about it?

Presumably you asked how many Championship players have been duds in PL to illustrate that we'd be better signing players from abroad because they're less likely to be duds? If not, why were you asking that question?

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:01 pm

Other players signed from the Championship include Alfie Mawson, Nathan Redmond, Rob Holding, none of which I'd call duds.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:04 pm

Sidney1st wrote:Maybe in your OP you should've mentioned players we have a chance of signing?
Yeah possibly but the same posters would still be here trying to argue with what I said regardless of what I say.

I did say "of course Hernandez would never sign here nor could we afford to pay him. I used him as an example of bargains available abroad from most players in Spain and Germany having buyout clauses inserted into their contracts".

Then along come the argumentative posters to say "You said we should sign Hernandez, Ceballos"

Saxoman
Been Liked: 577 times
Has Liked: 147 times

Post by Saxoman » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:06 pm

Ciccio grabbi
Richard witsche
Patrick Valery
Dino baggio
Sebastien Perez
Antony Modeste
Vlatislav Greskco
Per Pederson
Anders Anderson
Patrick Anderson
Outmar Konde.. Etc etc,

Just some of Rovers foreign buys that didn't come off.. Far more than succeeded I think.. Reckon its only getting harder to pick up bargains in the modern game.
Last edited by Saxoman on Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:07 pm

Tall Paul wrote:What's petty about it?

Presumably you asked how many Championship players have been duds in PL to illustrate that we'd be better signing players from abroad because they're less likely to be duds? If not, why were you asking that question?
No, I asked that to highlight that there is a risk in signing players from the Championship, there is risk with all signings regardless of what country we sign them from. I have no idea if there is a bigger risk signing players from Spain compared with the Championship which is why I haven't said that and wont say that because its not something I'm willing to argue for/against.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:08 pm

Tall Paul wrote:Other players signed from the Championship include Alfie Mawson, Nathan Redmond, Rob Holding, none of which I'd call duds.
Michail Antonio and Creswell, two more.

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:12 pm

KRBFC wrote:Michail Antonio and Creswell, two more.
West Ham signed neither of those last summer.

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:13 pm

KRBFC wrote:No, I asked that to highlight that there is a risk in signing players from the Championship, there is risk with all signings regardless of what country we sign them from. I have no idea if there is a bigger risk signing players from Spain compared with the Championship which is why I haven't said that and wont say that because its not something I'm willing to argue for/against.
So if you've no idea if signing players from Spain is more risky than signing them from the Championship, why are you advocating that we do it?

I think the evidence suggests that it is more risky.

northernpowerhouse
Been Liked: 87 times

Post by northernpowerhouse » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:23 pm

Signing players who Spain and South America is always a big risk. They don't tend to speak good English, aren't used to the style of play and don't like the weather. Maybe this is a generalisation but Dutch and Scandinavian players seem to acclimatise better. That's where I'd be looking.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:24 pm

Tall Paul wrote:So if you've no idea if signing players from Spain is more risky than signing them from the Championship, why are you advocating that we do it?

I think the evidence suggests that it is more risky.
Better quality available at cheaper prices.

Socrates

Post by Socrates » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:24 pm

KRBFC wrote:No because I never said we should sign Ceballos, Hernandez or Sandro.
The foreign market and the Spanish league where nearly every player has a buyout clause in their contract. If you need to ask me that question you're either incredibly slow or acting stupid to be argumentative.
Or you're talking ******** and I'm calling you out on it.

Players do have buy-out clauses. Usually they are prohibitively high to stop players walking away unexpectedly. There was an explosion in the value of them after Real Madrid paid the £37 million for Figo - they thought that was prohibitively high but they are now frequently set at ludicrous levels; Neymar for example is €200 million plus and even Ryan Gauld who went to Portugal had his set st €50 million.

My point, and it is a simple one, is that you have referenced three players who by your own admission we could not sign.

I'd like some of examples of players we could sign, players with reasonable release clauses and wages. Until you provide that your comments are merely further examples of sophistry.
This user liked this post: Lord Beamish

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:26 pm

taio wrote:West Ham signed neither of those last summer.
I know, I didnt think Redmond was signed from the Championship last summer either so I added them to TP's list.

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:28 pm

KRBFC wrote:I know, I didnt think Redmond was signed from the Championship last summer either so I added them to TP's list.
Redmond left Norwich last summer after they were relegated to the Championship.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:32 pm

Socrates wrote:Or you're talking ******** and I'm calling you out on it.

Players do have buy-out clauses. Usually they are prohibitively high to stop players walking away unexpectedly. There was an explosion in the value of them after Real Madrid paid the £37 million for Figo - they thought that was prohibitively high but they are now frequently set at ludicrous levels; Neymar for example is €200 million plus and even Ryan Gauld who went to Portugal had his set st €50 million.

My point, and it is a simple one, is that you have referenced three players who by your own admission we could not sign.

I'd like some of examples of players we could sign, players with reasonable release clauses and wages. Until you provide that your comments are merely further examples of sophistry.
How do I know what each player earns? Or do I have to provide that information to say id like us to target Spain.