Would Padiham FC beat the England ladies team?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Mala591
Been Liked: 685 times
Has Liked: 429 times

Would Padiham FC beat the England ladies team?

Post by Mala591 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:36 am

England ladies team are very fit and skillful but the strength and power of male football would over power them even at amateur level.

What level would the England ladies team achieve in the world of male football?

Rowls
Been Liked: 5102 times
Has Liked: 5174 times

Re: Would Padiham FC beat the England ladies team?

Post by Rowls » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:43 am

Yes.

Good male youth teams would likely beat the women's team.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:50 am

yes, easily, it is technically the game of football, but it bears no resemblance to anything decent, england ladies enter the field of play and use a ball, but thats it.
padihams 3rd team would hammer them

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2256 times
Has Liked: 2170 times

Post by CoolClaret » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:05 am

Post modernist B/S in full flow if you actually had to ponder this!!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... rm-up.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

^Aussie ladies lose 7-0 to a bunch of under 15s.

Technique matters yes, but with a lack of strength/speed/athleticism, inferior technique will win out with those attributes.

Juan Tanamera
Been Liked: 771 times
Has Liked: 10082 times

Post by Juan Tanamera » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:29 am

Even League 1 Venky's FC would give them a game, or at least keep the score down to -5. :lol:

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1751 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by agreenwood » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:00 am

Why does it matter?

You get this male/female comparison in every sport. You either enjoy the sport for what it is or you don't.

Participation and interest in women's football is on the rise. I suspect those people couldn't care less which male teams could beat which female teams. It's the kind of discussion you had in the playground (or on commercial talk radio).
These 11 users liked this post: Lord Beamish Goodclaret DAVETHEVICAR Lancasterclaret THEWELLERNUT70 HelloHiGoodbye FactualFrank martin_p djt2006 jdrobbo IndigoLake

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2625 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:59 am

This user liked this post: HelloHiGoodbye

Geoff
Been Liked: 45 times

Post by Geoff » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:30 am

agreenwood wrote:Why does it matter?

You get this male/female comparison in every sport. You either enjoy the sport for what it is or you don't.

Participation and interest in women's football is on the rise. I suspect those people couldn't care less which male teams could beat which female teams. It's the kind of discussion you had in the playground (or on commercial talk radio).
It matters because it is a key reason why the audience is much bigger for men's football and sport in general.

Less people aren't tuning in to watch ladies football or rugby because of deep rooted sexist tendencies but for the same reason a lot less people watch amatuer sports; quality. People generally want to watch sport competed at the very highest level, the pinnacle of that discipline. This is what sells, this is what is marketable - high level competition.

Caernarfon_Claret
Been Liked: 1475 times
Has Liked: 634 times

Post by Caernarfon_Claret » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:41 am

Men and women are different due to different hormones and muscular-skeletal make up.

Men are faster stronger can train harder and are less prone to injury particularly joints.

Women have much greater muscle endurance and have far greater balance so the only sports where there would be a level playing field is if you were comparing like for like.

This is the reason why this question is redundant - it's a bit like a dad gloating that he keeps beating his 2 year old at throwing a discus.

Or like comparing an Alsatian with a Corgi at crufts.

Are women footballers at the peak performance of what women are capable of? If so enjoy their performance and stop trying to belittle their efforts.
This user liked this post: COBBLE

dsr
Been Liked: 4578 times
Has Liked: 2270 times

Post by dsr » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:16 am

Caernarfon_Claret wrote:Men and women are different due to different hormones and muscular-skeletal make up.

Men are faster stronger can train harder and are less prone to injury particularly joints.

Women have much greater muscle endurance and have far greater balance so the only sports where there would be a level playing field is if you were comparing like for like.

This is the reason why this question is redundant - it's a bit like a dad gloating that he keeps beating his 2 year old at throwing a discus.

Or like comparing an Alsatian with a Corgi at crufts.

Are women footballers at the peak performance of what women are capable of? If so enjoy their performance and stop trying to belittle their efforts.
That's pretty much the point - women aren't capable of doing as well as men, so they aren't as entertaining to watch; just like you wouldn't fill the Olympic Stadium to watch a discus competition for two year olds.

We've all got limited time and money; we spend both on watching the best. Most footballers are playing because they enjoy the game; only the ones who can draw the big crowds will get the big money.

Caernarfon_Claret

Post by Caernarfon_Claret » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:31 am

Testosterone is an anabolic steroid - a performance enhancing drug which men have a lot more of than women

It was a lot more entertaining watching Ben Johnson than Usain Bolt and watching Lance Armstrong than Chris Froome but some would say it wasn't a level playing field.

Dom
Been Liked: 327 times
Has Liked: 218 times

Post by Dom » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:59 am

Women's football is dire. There is no escaping that fact. All broadcasters push women's football more and more which is fine, but ramming it down people's throats won't suddenly mean that people will pay it equal attention to the men's game.

There are some sports which are equally entertaining, played by men or women, tennis for example. But football isn't one of them.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2625 times

Post by NottsClaret » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:04 am

My daughter enjoys playing footy so I've ended up watching a bit on telly and at her club etc.

One thing I have noticed is that I've yet to hear one woman or girl compare it to the men's game, let alone demand it has the same coverage. Nobody has suggested anyone should watch it. There's just loads of girls getting involved in sport and enjoying it. It's not on telly much, just the odd international which for a large participation sport seems fair enough.

The only people who have a problem with it are men, f**k knows why, as nobody is asking them to play women's football. Or even watch it.
These 7 users liked this post: Lancasterclaret agreenwood Lord Beamish HelloHiGoodbye quoonbeatz Ashingtonclaret46 COBBLE

dsr
Been Liked: 4578 times
Has Liked: 2270 times

Post by dsr » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:17 am

Dom wrote:There are some sports which are equally entertaining, played by men or women, tennis for example. But football isn't one of them.
Not at the moment. There's no women tennis players who are a quarter as entertaining as the Federer-Nadal-Djokovic-Murray axis. Even the poorest mens' singles final for years was more entertaining than the Williams - Muguroza match.

Men's doubles final: 7-5 5-7 7-6 3-6 13-11.
Women's doubles final: 6-0 6-0.
This user liked this post: agreenwood

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:20 am

I watched the game last night.

Thought England were streets ahead of Scotland and were very, very clinical.

Enjoyed it
This user liked this post: THEWELLERNUT70

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1751 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by agreenwood » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:23 am

Spot on Notts.

Women's football is going to improve in quality over the next 10-15 years. The massive rise in participation will ensure that.

Watch it or don't watch it. It is what it is. I don't understand the mentality of comparing it to something it never will be.

As Notts said, nobody involved in women's football is actually asking anything of you. They're just getting on with it, because they love the game.

It's certainly not being "rammed down" anybody's throat.
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

jackmiggins
Been Liked: 197 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by jackmiggins » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:36 am

Irrelevant question on so many levels. Do people award their Mum & Dad points to see who is the 'bestest'??

It was pretty humbling to watch Claire Balding's programme on women's football earlier this week - there were certainly a few things, regarding the political banning in 1921, that I wasn't aware of. The women's stars of 100 years ago humble the vast majority of the present male stars.
This user liked this post: agreenwood

ExistentialWanderer
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by ExistentialWanderer » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:40 am

Based on the way that England centre half defended last night. Padiham stand a real chance. She panicked and kicked it out when it was easier to pass to a team mate.

aggi
Been Liked: 2123 times

Post by aggi » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:11 am

If football was all about watching only the best teams then why did we all watch Burnley in the fourth division rather than head off and watch a team in the top division, in fact why does football exist outside of the Premier League.

If you watch women's football and keep comparing it to the men's game then you probably won't enjoy it. If you watch A-league or MLS football and keep comparing it to the Premier League you probably won't enjoy it either.

Personally I find women's football fairly entertaining, I've been to a few internationals and FA cup finals. One of the England players dominated in the air last night being six foot, obviously that wouldn't be the case in the men's game but I can understand I'm not watching the same thing.

ExistentialWanderer
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by ExistentialWanderer » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:15 am

aggi wrote:If football was all about watching only the best teams then why did we all watch Burnley in the fourth division rather than head off and watch a team in the top division, in fact why does football exist outside of the Premier League.

If you watch women's football and keep comparing it to the men's game then you probably won't enjoy it. If you watch A-league or MLS football and keep comparing it to the Premier League you probably won't enjoy it either.

Personally I find women's football fairly entertaining, I've been to a few internationals and FA cup finals. One of the England players dominated in the air last night being six foot, obviously that wouldn't be the case in the men's game but I can understand I'm not watching the same thing.
We've improved dramatically from the Hope Powell days. I'd say the women would give a mens side a game, I remember when watching England the women didn't tackle at all. It's a world of difference and I enjoyed aspects of last nights game but it did get boring. Atmosphere (lack of) may have played a part and it was all a bit predictable.
There are signs of improvement but still a fair way behind.

Ptangyangkipperbang
Been Liked: 200 times
Has Liked: 274 times

Post by Ptangyangkipperbang » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:20 am

Can't say I have watched a lot of women's football but one thing when I have I don't see any feigning injuries any cheating or backchatting refs.Caught about the last 10 mins of last night's England Scotland game although it probably wasn't intense as say a men's old firm game I still got a sense of pride from seeing England score twice and win 6-0

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:31 pm

I reckon padiham "ladies" would easily beat
the England ladies team.

Have you never been drinking in the padiham?

turfytopper
Been Liked: 409 times
Has Liked: 3431 times

Post by turfytopper » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:46 pm

To get back to OP...Yes I'd expect Padiham to easily defeat an England ladies 11. Not sure it is a comparison worth making.

Mala591
Been Liked: 685 times
Has Liked: 429 times

Post by Mala591 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:04 am

The point I am trying to make is that women's football is a great sport to play or watch but it is not a professional career. An average male amateur team would beat an international women's team.
Not being sexist but just a wake up call to women who think their hobby might become a financial career. Train twice a week and play twice a week but don't get carried away by the sports media.
Enjoy your hobby but don't give up the day job.

aggi
Been Liked: 2123 times

Post by aggi » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:09 pm

Except for the fact that there are a number of professional leagues around the world and have been for a number of years. You might not earn a fortune but you can earn a living. Obviously if you're very good/media friendly you can still earn millions.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:49 pm

They are trying to get it to have the same coverage as the men's game and questioning why it's not on the back pages of the papers etc.

The simple answer is that it's just not as popular and therefore the more popular sports rightly receive the higher billing.

During the England game the other night they themselves were comparing to the men's game by stating that it's the first hat trick in a tournament since Gary Linekar.

Good luck to them, I hope the women's game and the national team thrives, but until the popularity of the women's game hits levels greater than the men's game and other sports, it shouldn't automatically receive huge media attention.

The gender element appears to be being used, in some quarters, to push the popularity of the game when that for me isn't the issue, it's that the game just isn't as good to watch, it's undoubtedly improving though.

Caernarfon_Claret

Post by Caernarfon_Claret » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:02 pm

jackmiggins wrote:Irrelevant question on so many levels. Do people award their Mum & Dad points to see who is the 'bestest'??

It was pretty humbling to watch Claire Balding's programme on women's football earlier this week - there were certainly a few things, regarding the political banning in 1921, that I wasn't aware of. The women's stars of 100 years ago humble the vast majority of the present male stars.
If The FA hadn't set The Women's game back fifty years the skill levels would undoubtedly be a lot higher. Those not in the trenches were happy enough paying to watch women play during World War One.

The FA: ruining Women's Football since 1921 should be their moto maybe in Latin.

In ipsum Consociationis, cum pereundi perdendique feminarum eu MCMXXI.

timshorts
Been Liked: 413 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by timshorts » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:57 pm

I dont understand that. Cum takes the ablative

COBBLE
Been Liked: 350 times
Has Liked: 472 times

Post by COBBLE » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:24 pm

Probably and I don't care. Its irrelevant.

CleggHall
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 1050 times

Post by CleggHall » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:54 pm

Padiham FC would win the match and the ladies would have their cars stolen! :D