Who will be our star player this season

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ablueclaret
Been Liked: 403 times
Has Liked: 50 times

Who will be our star player this season

Post by ablueclaret » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:16 am

Now of course I once suggested David Edgar might be the surprise player who influenced a season only to find that SD's brief flirtation with him as a holding midfielder ended summarily with the implementation of the framework in his first successful promotion effort.

This season I'm looking for a player who has yet to truly make his mark or comes from our new signings. I'm sure Ben Mee will be as able as ever, Heaton will still be a force in goal but it's from those group of nearly/maybe players that I'm looking for a star to emerge.

So for me that's Westwood JBG Brady Agyei Taylor Walters Cork Defour Long O'Neill Pope Darikwa and Gray, some might question whether Gray is really a nearly player but at this level I fancy he still is.
Out of those it's likely that Westwood and Cork are the most capable of holding a place down on available evidence but I fancy it's from the rest that the player of the season will emerge.

No it's not going to be Tarka for me because I believe he would be best employed as a holding midfielder or as the attacking player in a back three. As a pure centre back I think within SD's framework he might have issues, although he will always add a significant presence going forward.
I fancy most of us hope Defour becomes the star player because of he does I fancy we will have a good season but I'm still uncertain SD sees him as a viable option around which to build a side particularly one lacking Boyd. However for me the gamble is worthwhile.
Again most of us hope for better and more consistent things from Brady and JBG but I fear they will find themselves defending rather than doing what they are best at taking on defenders.
So for me that leaves Agyei, Taylor and ONeill and maybe none of them will feature hardly at all as Edgar didn't but I'm hoping one of them makes a significant impact and the one I still rate as exceptional is Agyei, the kiss of death I know, but there is something about this lad that sets the pulse racing. I hope he is a great success.
Finally don't write off the Longs Darikwa et al, decent players who can hold their own and of course Pope who is a worthy understudy to Heaton but for me the player of the year

Agyei.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5553 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Re: Who will be our star player this season

Post by TheFamilyCat » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:58 am

You find all this time to write that nonsense but still haven't provided your list of which clubs are interested in your Scottish future stars.

RocketLawnChair
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 833 times

Post by RocketLawnChair » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:24 am

Anybody doing anything interesting today?

ExistentialWanderer
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by ExistentialWanderer » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:26 am

Tarkowski will surprise us all and score 16 goals from his holding midfield role as you predicted

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3800 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:29 am

One of the defenders probably, or the assist king Tom Heaton.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32417 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:32 am

ablueclaret wrote:Now of course I once suggested David Edgar might be the surprise player who influenced a season only to find that SD's brief flirtation with him as a holding midfielder ended summarily with the implementation of the framework in his first successful promotion effort.
Suggesting David Edgar just about sums you up
These 3 users liked this post: cutsy123 SalouClaret Cornwallclaret

Juan Tanamera
Been Liked: 770 times
Has Liked: 10059 times

Post by Juan Tanamera » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:33 am

KRBFC wrote:One of the defenders probably, or the assist king Tom Heaton.
Out of curiosity, how many assists did Heaton make last season?

ablueclaret

Post by ablueclaret » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:34 am

I'm prepared to acknowledge my mistakes CT unlike a lot on here.
This user liked this post: KateR

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:39 am

Juan Tanamera wrote:Out of curiosity, how many assists did Heaton make last season?
I don't know but id guess, 0. Although plenty of our goals would have come from him launching it.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1571 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:41 am

I must admit I have similar thoughts about Agyei.

He looks like he will have a bright future. However as the highlights against shamrock show, his finishing was more than poor. However as a positive he managed to get himself in those positions.

I imagine training with the first team will develop him massively.

claretdom
Been Liked: 1693 times
Has Liked: 193 times

Post by claretdom » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:43 am

So the player you label our assist king you then have him with 0 assists within 10 minutes of the original stupid statement.

it is almost like you had a weeks ban for being a helmet and in that time have stared at the topics getting all excited and frustrated being unable to comment, soon as your ban is up you can't control yourself and spew stupid comments on most topics.
These 2 users liked this post: Juan Tanamera Greenmile

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:56 am

Someone gets a great 4G signal on his allotment

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6488 times
Has Liked: 2911 times

Post by Steve1956 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:06 am

ablueclaret wrote:Now of course I once suggested David Edgar might be the surprise player who influenced a season only to find that SD's brief flirtation with him as a holding midfielder ended summarily with the implementation of the framework in his first successful promotion effort.

This season I'm looking for a player who has yet to truly make his mark or comes from our new signings. I'm sure Ben Mee will be as able as ever, Heaton will still be a force in goal but it's from those group of nearly/maybe players that I'm looking for a star to emerge.

So for me that's Westwood JBG Brady Agyei Taylor Walters Cork Defour Long O'Neill Pope Darikwa and Gray, some might question whether Gray is really a nearly player but at this level I fancy he still is.
Out of those it's likely that Westwood and Cork are the most capable of holding a place down on available evidence but I fancy it's from the rest that the player of the season will emerge.

No it's not going to be Tarka for me because I believe he would be best employed as a holding midfielder or as the attacking player in a back three. As a pure centre back I think within SD's framework he might have issues, although he will always add a significant presence going forward.
I fancy most of us hope Defour becomes the star player because of he does I fancy we will have a good season but I'm still uncertain SD sees him as a viable option around which to build a side particularly one lacking Boyd. However for me the gamble is worthwhile.
Again most of us hope for better and more consistent things from Brady and JBG but I fear they will find themselves defending rather than doing what they are best at taking on defenders.
So for me that leaves Agyei, Taylor and ONeill and maybe none of them will feature hardly at all as Edgar didn't but I'm hoping one of them makes a significant impact and the one I still rate as exceptional is Agyei, the kiss of death I know, but there is something about this lad that sets the pulse racing. I hope he is a great success.
Finally don't write off the Longs Darikwa et al, decent players who can hold their own and of course Pope who is a worthy understudy to Heaton but for me the player of the year

Agyei.
Defour.. here's hoping

claretspice
Been Liked: 2829 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:10 am

To give a serious answer to the original question, I'll tip Hendrick. He's got absolutely everything you'd want in a modern day midfielder - deceptively quick with his long stride, decent range of passing, capable of carrying the ball and taking men on, tall strong and physically imposing. We saw real glimpses of this last season, the goal he created single handedly against Stoke being the best but by no means only example, and generally his performances once he had settled in were pretty impressive. Now he'll have had a year to bed in, and had a pre-season with us to get really, really fit (he didn't have that last season), I'm hoping he emerges as a massive player for us.

Certainly a lot more likely than Agyei, who may well make further strides this season and become an integral part of the first team squad but is starting from a very much lower point in his development.

ablueclaret

Post by ablueclaret » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:13 am

I think you might be right Spice but I was looking for someone who rises from the peripheries
I fancy Cork Hendrick Defour and Westwood are central to our success given our likely initial vulnerability at the back

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:18 am

ablueclaret wrote:I think you might be right Spice but I was looking for someone who rises from the peripheries
I fancy Cork Hendrick Defour and Westwood are central to our success given our likely initial vulnerability at the back
You're central to this forums success.

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:22 am

Defour, if he plays in his correct position.
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

Grimsdale
Been Liked: 554 times
Has Liked: 80 times

Post by Grimsdale » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:24 am

Seeing as Agyei is probably our fifth choice striker (would have been sixth had we signed Assombalonga) I'd be surprised if he gets more than 90 minutes gametime for us over the whole season.
This user liked this post: BertiesBeehole

cutsy123
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 351 times

Post by cutsy123 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:30 am

Defour

KateR
Been Liked: 1019 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Post by KateR » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:32 am

Westwood to shine for me, but all depends on who else comes in so my opinion might change by the time the window closes :)

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:33 am

The Juke.....he just needs to get that first goal

claretspice
Been Liked: 2829 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:59 am

ablueclaret wrote:I think you might be right Spice but I was looking for someone who rises from the peripheries
So not for the first time, you are starting from the wrong position, then.

Players do not rise from the peripheries to become star players very often. They rise from the peripheries to become important members of the regular first eleven. Important members of the regular first eleven in turn grow into star players.

Too often, you reckon there's some magic cure to transform us into a vastly superior team - be it Tarkowski in midfield, Agyei breaking through from nowhere, etc. This is fantasy stuff - it happens occasionally, usually to teams who have far more stellar academies than ours and so who frequently bring through top class juniors that are out of our reach. But it doesn't happen often, particularly at clubs like ours.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:29 pm

walters, he will be THE player for us this season.

Winstonswhite
Been Liked: 608 times
Has Liked: 311 times

Post by Winstonswhite » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:31 pm

JBG

I don't think it's any coincidence that our downward spiral began as soon as those non league cloggers disgracefully kicked him off the pitch

Bop
Been Liked: 243 times
Has Liked: 343 times

Post by Bop » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:33 pm

claretspice wrote:To give a serious answer to the original question, I'll tip Hendrick. He's got absolutely everything you'd want in a modern day midfielder - deceptively quick with his long stride, decent range of passing, capable of carrying the ball and taking men on, tall strong and physically imposing. We saw real glimpses of this last season, the goal he created single handedly against Stoke being the best but by no means only example, and generally his performances once he had settled in were pretty impressive. Now he'll have had a year to bed in, and had a pre-season with us to get really, really fit (he didn't have that last season), I'm hoping he emerges as a massive player for us.

Certainly a lot more likely than Agyei, who may well make further strides this season and become an integral part of the first team squad but is starting from a very much lower point in his development.
A pair of "strides".

Hope it's Defour, with goals.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:33 pm

If he's fit and committed Defour. Agyei is clearly a joke by ABC.
This user liked this post: Hozz

philh2004
Been Liked: 6 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by philh2004 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:39 pm

Grimsdale wrote:Seeing as Agyei is probably our fifth choice striker (would have been sixth had we signed Assombalonga) I'd be surprised if he gets more than 90 minutes gametime for us over the whole season.
Prepare yourself to see weekly threads by ABC moaning about Agyei not playing then!

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2540 times
Has Liked: 766 times

Post by ksrclaret » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:45 pm

ABC spoilt what could have been a really good thread by making the utterly ridiculous suggestion of Agyei. As if he's going to rise from promising youngster in the development squad to Premier League striker sensation in the space of a few months.

I was having this conversation with a friend the other day though, and I thought Brady might become our star player this season and sort of become to us what Snodgrass was to Hull in the first part of last season. My friend didn't agree at all and doesn't rate Brady one bit from what he's seen of him.

Darthlaw
Been Liked: 1183 times
Has Liked: 418 times

Post by Darthlaw » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:48 pm

Agyei to play holding midfield with Tarka as trequartista.

piston broke
Been Liked: 1448 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:00 pm

ablueclaret wrote: I fancy Cork Hendrick Defour and Westwood are central to our success.
I'd be very surprised to see more than two from the four on the field at the same time.
Cork and Defour are the pick. Cork the best of the 4 in the holding roll and Defour the best vision and ability to find his target.

Agyei has a career in front of him but this year might be too soon, unless Gray is sold.

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2974 times
Has Liked: 2075 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:13 pm

I go along with Wile, in that Walters will be a revelation for us with his experience,
aggressive style and his tenacity. He is not bad at all with his ball control either.

He's the chap that gets my vote.
This user liked this post: Wile E Coyote

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1600 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:22 pm

Our next signing!

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:23 pm

Wile E Coyote wrote:walters, he will be THE player for us this season.
Stop trolling this is a serious discussion

IAmAClaret
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 306 times

Post by IAmAClaret » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:27 pm

There are a few who stand out for me, including Cork, Defour, Brady and Walters.

All of them, with a full pre-season, coming back 'Dyche-fit' could play a massive part for us this year.

I will go with Cork at this point, but I'd love Brady to make a real impression this year.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:28 pm

Brady or Gray

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:01 pm

I'll go with Taylor, if of course he gets his spot.

Funkydrummer

Post by Funkydrummer » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:02 pm

Tall Paul wrote:Brady or Gray
Gray ? ? :o

I really hope so, but I wouldn't hold your breath. Hope I 'm wrong.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:17 pm

Funkydrummer wrote:Gray ? ? :o

I really hope so, but I wouldn't hold your breath. Hope I 'm wrong.
Because you think he'll be gone?

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:55 pm

We don't have star players we are Burnley not Barcelona.

Funkydrummer

Post by Funkydrummer » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:32 pm

Tall Paul wrote:Because you think he'll be gone?
I think you know my answer to that one, you little tinker. :lol:

lucs86
Been Liked: 177 times
Has Liked: 631 times

Post by lucs86 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:14 pm

If Tarkowski gets the nod he'll probably be the one the pundits talk about, they get excited about centre backs that are good with the ball, especially English ones. Walters will quickly become a Marney-like fans' favourite with his aggression and attitude. If Defour gets a good amount of game time he'll win us points and if we play some 451 JBG will do too, but I reckon Hendrick will be the most likely to stand out, hopefully breaking into good positions and chipping in with a few more goals.

Winstonswhite
Been Liked: 608 times
Has Liked: 311 times

Post by Winstonswhite » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:42 pm

claretspice wrote:To give a serious answer to the original question, I'll tip Hendrick. He's got absolutely everything you'd want in a modern day midfielder - deceptively quick with his long stride, decent range of passing, capable of carrying the ball and taking men on, tall strong and physically imposing. We saw real glimpses of this last season, the goal he created single handedly against Stoke being the best but by no means only example, and generally his performances once he had settled in were pretty impressive. Now he'll have had a year to bed in, and had a pre-season with us to get really, really fit (he didn't have that last season), I'm hoping he emerges as a massive player for us.

Are you Hendricks agent or something? He's got "everything you want from a modern footballer". Is that a serious comment? I'm pretty sure you said the same about Andre Bikey.

The jury's still out big time imo. If he's so good why did he only get two goals (one he'd never be able to do the rest of his career) and one assist in 32 games?

I'm all for bigging up our players but I think you're verging on claret tinted glasses concerning JH

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3156 times
Has Liked: 6744 times

Post by boatshed bill » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:46 pm

Defour!

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:28 pm

I think the likes of Hendrick and Brady will be much more settled than last term...and I can see jack corks years of experience at the top giving him the edge.thats my gut.

Goobs
Been Liked: 1465 times
Has Liked: 995 times

Post by Goobs » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:31 pm

Sam Vokes. Given a better supply line I fancy him to improve on his goal tally from last year.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3178 times

Post by Paul Waine » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:45 pm

Potentially, lots of stars this season:

Tom Heaton building his claim to be "England's number one." But, we don't want to be just relying on Tom's excellence in goal.
Ben Mee leading the defence, showing that we won't miss Michael Keane.
Tarks letting us know what we've been waiting 18 months for.
Our Irish internationals rolling in four-leaved clover every week - or should that be shamrock?
Our RB/LB/JBG/JC/SV/AG/AB/JW will all contribute.

My pick for the "10 out of 10" star is Steven Defour - here's hoping he is staying with us and Sean Dyche is building a team around him.

UTC

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4835 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Post by jdrobbo » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:10 pm

JBG... he makes things happen!

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5185 times
Has Liked: 804 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:18 pm

Jeff Hendrick.... our best all round midfielder.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6363 times
Has Liked: 8707 times

Post by IanMcL » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:06 am

Heaton by a mile.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11035 times
Has Liked: 5648 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:30 am

Ben Mee as usual