My car has been stolen, what do I do next? (Padiham area)

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
mybloodisclaret
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 4037 times

Re: My car has been stolen, what do I do next? (Padiham area)

Post by mybloodisclaret » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:34 pm

bfcmatt wrote:If the car has no sign of forced entry and the locks haven't been damaged they would have had to have used a key?
Whilst not suggesting this is correct, check what numerous others and post above yours says, there are ways in without causing damage to get keys. Post 21 that is. I maintain you should tell the true events though.

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1231 times

Post by joey13 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:37 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:They've been out and looked, taken prints etc. My keys have gone, completely gone, I can't find them and it's the only logical scenario that I can think of at this time, I've stupidly left the door unlocked.
Taken prints from where ?

So have you left the keys in ignition?

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:42 pm

joey13 wrote:Taken prints from where ?

So have you left the keys in ignition?
No my keys have been taken from my home via the front door being unlocked (at least that's what the police have deduced and will put in their report and there's no other real logical explanation).

Also Pytangyangkipperbang I've been round and the car wasn't mine but thanks.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3811 times
Has Liked: 1072 times

Post by KRBFC » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:50 pm

Where did you buy it from? I think some poster above has a pretty legit explanation. The person you bought it off could potentially have returned to nick it.

ClaretAndJew

Post by ClaretAndJew » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:53 pm

KRBFC wrote:Where did you buy it from? I think some poster above has a pretty legit explanation. The person you bought it off could potentially have returned to nick it.
This thought has crossed my mind, as there was only one set of keys when I bought the car, but the people seemed genuine and I have all their details and stuff. I suppose I will pass that on to the police, though they already seem to have a good idea who's knicked it, but my car keys have been taken from my house, that;s the reason why I don't think 100% that the person who sold it to me has nicked it, cause they wouldn't have needed to come get my keys.

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1231 times

Post by joey13 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:56 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:No my keys have been taken from my home via the front door being unlocked (at least that's what the police have deduced and will put in their report and there's no other real logical explanation).

Also Pytangyangkipperbang I've been round and the car wasn't mine but thanks.
Surely you still can claim , good luck anyway

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3811 times
Has Liked: 1072 times

Post by KRBFC » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:58 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:This thought has crossed my mind, as there was only one set of keys when I bought the car, but the people seemed genuine and I have all their details and stuff. I suppose I will pass that on to the police, though they already seem to have a good idea who's knicked it, but my car keys have been taken from my house, that;s the reason why I don't think 100% that the person who sold it to me has nicked it, cause they wouldn't have needed to come get my keys.
Its just a coincidence its nicked so soon. Anyway good luck, hopefully you get it sorted and the thieving rats get punished.

Bfc
Been Liked: 443 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Bfc » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:19 pm

ClaretandJew, if your house door lock is a Yale type, they're very easy to open without any damage within a minute, with a couple of simple everyday items. Any older 2 lever door locks also have fairly easy access, if someone carries a few different 2 lever keys. In regards to fishing the keys from the inside of the house with a stick with a hook on the end. There's another way of fishing keys from inside a house, which is not for reporting on here. So maybe you should let the insurance company prove you hadn't locked up.
If you need a car I would be willing to lend you my second car if it helps you get by, until it's recovered, provided you fully insure it.
This user liked this post: Rileybobs

ClaretAndJew

Post by ClaretAndJew » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:24 pm

Bfc wrote:ClaretandJew, if your house door lock is a Yale type, they're very easy to open without any damage within a minute, with a couple of simple everyday items. Any older 2 lever door locks also have fairly easy access, if someone carries a few different 2 lever keys. In regards to fishing the keys from the inside of the house with a stick with a hook on the end. There's another way of fishing keys from inside a house, which is not for reporting on here. So maybe you should let the insurance company prove you hadn't locked up.
If you need a car I would be willing to lend you my second car if it helps you get by, until it's recovered, provided you fully insure it.
Thanks BFC, that's very kind of you to offer.

My door is one of those UPVC white ones, which we've since had the lock barrel changed due to my house keys being with my car key.

What sort of vehicle is your second car? I may take you up on that offer depending on the price of the insurance of course.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:29 pm

If you are pretty sure (genuinely pretty sure) that you did not leave the door unlocked I would speak to the police again and tell them this.
If your keys were within fishing distance from the letter box then I am sure there would have been a way of hooking them through.
When it happened to me there was a metal hook left in the porch and the police later found a bamboo stick in the garden that they must have used - so I'd have a look round outside if I was you...and if you do see anything don't touch it. Leave it for the police.
Unless the police can definitively say that it was impossible to hook the keys through then you should be able to pursue it and say that you thought you had locked the door - especially if that's what you do every night.

My first reaction was also whether I or the kids had left the door unlocked - but then I thought that they had never done that before so why this time ?

mybloodisclaret
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 4037 times

Post by mybloodisclaret » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:53 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:Thanks BFC, that's very kind of you to offer.

My door is one of those UPVC white ones, which we've since had the lock barrel changed due to my house keys being with my car key.

What sort of vehicle is your second car? I may take you up on that offer depending on the price of the insurance of course.
It's a Ferrari. You wanna see his main car!!

Yeovil1951
Been Liked: 11 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by Yeovil1951 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:55 pm

Dont worry start of the summer holidays ,its in Cornwall by now, back in 2 weeks

Bfc
Been Liked: 443 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Bfc » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:26 pm

ClaretandJew it's 2000cc diesel mondeo on a 53 plate. It's been a fab car for me, without any bother. Long tax and MOT. I'm going out soon so it will be later, if you need me to get back to you.

Midmoorclaret
Been Liked: 200 times
Has Liked: 703 times

Post by Midmoorclaret » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:30 pm

CAJ have you checked your insurance terms and conditions in what to do in case of theft or other accident. Some require you to report the incident immediately or within a certain time limit.

timeloveandtendayi
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by timeloveandtendayi » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:08 pm

I work in insurance. Can't speak for every company as policy wording can be different but I'd cover it. And if not then we'd just register an enquiry that wouldn't affect anything, even if you withdrew it. Can't tell you who I work for though sorry!

If it be your will
Been Liked: 500 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by If it be your will » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:25 pm

Last edited by If it be your will on Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pimlico_Claret
Been Liked: 614 times
Has Liked: 680 times

Post by Pimlico_Claret » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:17 pm

Hope everything turns out alright in this story genuinely. Just like to add that I had my working life stolen in Padiham, 25 years, could have travelled the world with my occupation but chose to stay in this town, to help the residents who I think I did. . Police unfortunately unable to register as a crime.

yorkyclaret
Been Liked: 246 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by yorkyclaret » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:53 pm

If it be your will wrote:Just one other thing:

I had my car nicked about 20y ago. It was found by the police in a pub car park less than a mile away. The police then asked a company called Egertons to take it to their depot (10 miles away in the middle of an industrial estate). There was minimal damage. Egertons then demanded a release fee of 250 quid to cover their costs (a lot back then). When I moaned because I never asked for any of this, they said to claim it off my insurance, but that would have wiped my NCB, so I paid.

I've no idea if this sort of thing happens today, but it might be worth telling the police that you absolutely do not want it carting off somewhere if it is found.

(Edit - it looks like Egertons has finally gone bust. Good. Awful company.
https://www.insidermedia.com/insider/mi ... e-egertons" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It added that Egertons suffered falls in turnover due to a reduction in motorway and police contracts and it lost circa £3m in sales during 2010/11 due to competitors undercutting them. It also lost North West contracts with both RAC and Green Flag, the latter accounted for £1.4m of its turnover.)
More or less exactly the same happened to me 13 years ago, except mine was found blocking a school entrance, recovered by Macadams, nobody told me so I bought another car, then got a bill for over £200 for storage for the old one. I didn't claim on the insurance, car wasn't worth losing no claims bonus over, I wrote (well mainly the ex copper next door wrote) to the Chief Constable and he refunded me.
This user liked this post: andysisson

martintheaker
Been Liked: 118 times
Has Liked: 15 times

Post by martintheaker » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:05 pm

Sorry to hear about the car being stolen.

We had a break in last August, nothing stolen apart from our keys which were on a key rack in the kitchen. 3 cars taken. We recovered one the following day because it was relatively new and had Vauxhall OnStar fitted so we could locate it.

The other 2 cars that were stolen haven't been seen, but the gearbox from one car was found in a chop-shop in Accrington. Police said this is where most vehicles end up, broken up in chop shops around Lancashire, Manchester and Merseyside for the after market.

Surprisingly, most of the ANPR cameras in East Lancashire weren't operational for some reason, so none of he cars were spotted. The speed camera near the bridge in Rishton was working, and I received a speeding ticket on behalf of the dirty theiving b*satrds who broke into my house and stole my possessions.

Now we keep our keys in different rooms and ensure all our doors are closed/locked even when we are in.

Our insurance has rocketed as well.

1968claret
Been Liked: 504 times
Has Liked: 635 times

Post by 1968claret » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:01 pm

Sorry to hear this C&J, hope you get it all sorted and not too much hassle with your insurers.

We suffered a similar fate last year when each of us thought the other had locked the front door.
We were quite fortunate to get an amateur thief though. They just took a cheap mobile and £20 cash from my wife's handbag having walked past the fireplace which had 3 iPhones and 2 sets of car keys on it!!
We no longer leave such items out in the open!

ClaretAndJew

Post by ClaretAndJew » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:09 pm

Cheers all

Looks like I'll be getting a payout once I've sent all my details etc to the insurer. My NCB will be gone though.

Still no word about the care and I assume it's gonna be in a chop shop or replated and being used for other crime. It wasn't worth stealing to sell on.

ClaretinMyBlood
Been Liked: 93 times
Has Liked: 54 times

Post by ClaretinMyBlood » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:46 pm

Not saying that it is related, just seen this on one of the Burnley buy and sell groups on Facebook
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (569.67 KiB) Viewed 3398 times

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5214 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:19 pm

It is a bit like closing the stable door after the horse has bolted but my advice for what to do next would be to move out of the sh*thole that is Padiham and live somewhere half decent

ontario claret
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 1725 times

Post by ontario claret » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:58 pm

My advice, move out of Padiham.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3878 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:22 pm

If it's any concellation the twins were caught trying to break into a van on Tesco car park and the guy filled em both in.

They see it as an occupational hazard though.

ClaretAndJew

Post by ClaretAndJew » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:58 pm

ClaretinMyBlood wrote:Not saying that it is related, just seen this on one of the Burnley buy and sell groups on Facebook
Hi mate I saw this myself and enquired but he'd also posted it 4 days ago before my car was taken.
Quickenthetempo wrote:If it's any concellation the twins were caught trying to break into a van on Tesco car park and the guy filled em both in.

They see it as an occupational hazard though.
When was this? The guy dishing out the beating will probably get in more trouble than them two ever will. Which is a shame.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3878 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:24 am

ClaretAndJew wrote:Hi mate I saw this myself and enquired but he'd also posted it 4 days ago before my car was taken.

When was this? The guy dishing out the beating will probably get in more trouble than them two ever will. Which is a shame.
I presume this week with being told about it yesterday.

You would think they would behave themselves for a few weeks after their dad died from a smack overdose the other week.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6395 times
Has Liked: 8754 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:46 am

They are hardly likely to report the bloke when they were in the process of nicking his car.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6395 times
Has Liked: 8754 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:47 am

Evidently you can't type sc u m

TractorFace
Been Liked: 117 times
Has Liked: 71 times

Post by TractorFace » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:32 am

You would think they would behave themselves for a few weeks after their dad died from a smack overdose the other week.

They sound like a lovely family.

ClaretAndJew

Post by ClaretAndJew » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:00 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote: I presume this week with being told about it yesterday.

It baffles me that for their apparent notoriety and how much they are hated they still get away with everything and still have people who help them.

Pimlico_Claret
Been Liked: 614 times
Has Liked: 680 times

Post by Pimlico_Claret » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:46 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:It baffles me that for their apparent notoriety and how much they are hated they still get away with everything and still have people who help them.
You wouldn't really want to take on the people who help them

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2340 times
Has Liked: 1405 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:15 pm

TractorFace wrote:You would think they would behave themselves for a few weeks after their dad died from a smack overdose the other week.

They sound like a lovely family.

I too live on Russell Terrace and they lived very close to me for 2 years or so and let me assure you that what you hear is only the tip of the iceberg. Horrible.

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2340 times
Has Liked: 1405 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:16 pm

ontario claret wrote:My advice, move out of Padiham.

It can happen anywhere. Padiham isn't as bad a place as it's made out to be. There are much worse areas around Burnley that I wouldn't live in before padiham.

HunterST_BFC
Been Liked: 1402 times
Has Liked: 2694 times

Post by HunterST_BFC » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:07 am

Pimlico_Claret wrote:You wouldn't really want to take on the people who help them
YES IT NEEDS DOING.

For far too long scrotes like these cost decent people money and stress and get away with it.
They impact on victims lives and will impact your's at some point if nothing changes. It's going to get worse for all of us.
It's not just your car.

C&J hope this works out for you.
I'd change / add another lock to the front door, 5 bar chubb as the house has been breached.
Get a camera / dummy camera pointing from an up stairs room to where you park.
etc

Having had cars stolen over the years I think the best "optional extra" on a car would be a remote activated massive spike under the drivers seat.
These 2 users liked this post: lesxdp Rick_Muller

ontario claret
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 1725 times

Post by ontario claret » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:17 pm

I had my car stolen from in front of my house about 15 years ago. The police eventually found it about a month later on a dead-end street in an industrial area on the other side of Toronto. I know who stole it, because we had some very unsavoury neighbours for a long time who kept company with members of the criminal class. But they were also upstanding members of our local Baptist church. Gone now, but not forgotten.