Are we done....

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Marlonspants
Been Liked: 125 times
Has Liked: 53 times

Are we done....

Post by Marlonspants » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:17 am

.... in the transfer market?

I would have thought we are unlikely to add to the squad before the Chelsea game.

The question is are you happy with the team going into our first game?

For the record I'm 80% happy.

ClaretEngineer
Been Liked: 690 times
Has Liked: 406 times

Re: Are we done....

Post by ClaretEngineer » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:20 am

Not happy about PSG hijacking our move for Neymar.

No ambition.
This user liked this post: bobinho

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:21 am

I think it's unlikely we'll add to the squad before the first game, but I think even if we do that the new addition will be on the bench and not put straight in the side.

Am I happy about that? Chelsea away is a free hit game. I don't see that our chances of winning are that high anyway. We'll go with the team we have.

Sutton-Claret
Been Liked: 378 times
Has Liked: 165 times

Post by Sutton-Claret » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:22 am

I'm only 60% happy - I don't think we are any stronger than last year. If we lose Gray (which the bookies seem to think we will) we will need a replacement pretty sharpish.

On the positive side, we still have 28 days left and historically most of our dealings happen in the last few days.

Sproggy
Been Liked: 667 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Post by Sproggy » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:28 am

Happy with who we've brought in up to now but will be disappointed if that's it. It will be interesting to see the starting line up on Saturday. I was hoping for a midfield 5 featuring Defour but not so sure with him doing 90 mins on Tuesday.

Holmeclaret
Been Liked: 201 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by Holmeclaret » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:29 am

82.67% happy.

Conroy92
Been Liked: 504 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by Conroy92 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:30 am

Without a decent CB coming in, I'll be 50% happy/unhappy, that was always a priority signing.
If a CB comes in then 75% happy.
Then a winger to 90% and striker to a 100%
Is that greedy? :D

Grimsdale
Been Liked: 554 times
Has Liked: 80 times

Post by Grimsdale » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:32 am

As has been mentioned before, this time last year we had only brought in Nick Pope and JBG.

I'm positive we have not finished our transfer business this season and expect another two (at least) signings of comparable quality to Defour and Hendrick before the transfer window closes.
This user liked this post: Raggus

clarethomer
Been Liked: 946 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by clarethomer » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:08 am

Grimsdale wrote:As has been mentioned before, this time last year we had only brought in Nick Pope and JBG.

I'm positive we have not finished our transfer business this season and expect another two (at least) signings of comparable quality to Defour and Hendrick before the transfer window closes.
90% HAPPY

Whilst only a friendly on Tuesday, I am reasonably happy with the team and believe we are stronger this year in terms of we now have a RB who will have serious competition and a permanent LB who will be looking to push Ward. I was impressed with the 4-5-1/4-4-2/4-3-3 formation that was flexed with having JBG/Brady/Cork/Defour/Hendrick in the team. Even if we don't end up playing each of them every game, I think we have enough in the midfield area compared to where we were last year. I know there is only 1 additional signing in there but both Brady and Defour appeared to have benefitted from a Dyche pre-season.

Strikers, Im not sure if we have improved in this area but possibly added a bit of experience. However to add real quality above what we have in this area would cost a fortune.

I think we need another CB however if Lowton/Tarks/Mee/Ward should be OK if everyone else does their job. Overall, I think this has been one of our better pre-seasons for transfer activity but do hope we still add some more in.
This user liked this post: Fretters

Right_winger
Been Liked: 492 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by Right_winger » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:17 am

Still think our best 11 is currently weaker than last seasons best 11. We haven't replaced Keane yet and really do need to press on with this. Taylor is a good understudy to Ward and will be one for the future. Beardsley and Walters are no better than what we have already got and knocking on a bit.

If we are done then it's been a poor summer of transfer business. I don't think we are done but we will be a couple of games in before we add again.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4106 times
Has Liked: 6589 times

Post by bobinho » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:21 am

Think maybe one more if there are no outgoings. If we don't get owt before the window shuts, we will strengthen again in January.

Happy. 90%. We go as we are and we will have a right do at 'em, but another quality addition would be nice.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:34 am

Right_winger wrote: Beardsley and Walters are no better than what we have already got and knocking on a bit.
Blimey. Signing Beardsley must have slipped under my radar. I know we are going for experience, and need a player with flair and an eye for goal, but at 56 isn't he a bit past it? (Doesn't look as old as Walters mind you.)
These 2 users liked this post: thomo27 tiger76

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:40 am

"Are we done"

No

Chairman "we will spend more than last year, and be stronger than last season"

Has that happened?

No

Back to original question, "Are we done"

No

Arguably 30m+ still to spend, which could be 2/3 first team players.

I think the best bits of business are yet to be done.
These 2 users liked this post: thomo27 BFCmaj

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:42 am

Centre half, attacking midfielder/winger with pace and still like to see another striker.

Still expecting a couple of big signings with the money we have budgeted plus the Keane money.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6490 times
Has Liked: 2918 times

Post by Steve1956 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:46 am

100% happy with the squad,and Defour looks to have got over feigning injuries :roll: , he will be like a new signing roll on Chelsea.Defour would be the first name on my team sheet every week ......classy footballer.
This user liked this post: thomo27

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:59 am

Right_winger wrote:Still think our best 11 is currently weaker than last seasons best 11. We haven't replaced Keane yet and really do need to press on with this. Taylor is a good understudy to Ward and will be one for the future. Beardsley and Walters are no better than what we have already got and knocking on a bit.

If we are done then it's been a poor summer of transfer business. I don't think we are done but we will be a couple of games in before we add again.
With Brady and Defour seemingly up to speed with a full preseason behind them, and the additions to the squad it could easily be argued that we'll be stronger this season. I know Ward has been excellent, but I would hope that Taylor will get a chance and prove himself to be better. Walters might not be better than any of the strikers we have (I'd argue he's a lot better than Barnes), but he gives us more options in that area and Bardsley is excellent cover for Lowton.

Yes, we haven't replaced Keane, but I don't think we'll miss him as much as many people seem to think.

boiledclaret
Been Liked: 389 times
Has Liked: 1022 times

Post by boiledclaret » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:14 am

Tall Paul wrote:Yes, we haven't replaced Keane, but I don't think we'll miss him as much as many people seem to think.
10 clean sheets last season, half of them got turned into wins. It's very fine margins, we lack pace at the back and we don't respond too brilliantly when chasing the game.

I think we need a solid CH and a good leader in place for this campaign.

Another winger with frightening pace might help as well if I'm being greedy.

dsr
Been Liked: 4578 times
Has Liked: 2269 times

Post by dsr » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:16 am

Sutton-Claret wrote:If we lose Gray (which the bookies seem to think we will) ...
If the bookies are a guide, then presumably Gray will follow Dyche to Crystal Palace?

The bookies have no idea whether Gray will move. You can get just as much accurate info from St. Ethelburga's Infant School in Tobermory.

starting_11
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by starting_11 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:19 am

I don't think we're done.

We'll be waiting for the scraps, for sure, but also we'll be waiting for some seasoned players to get realistic about their options before we get any business done.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2534 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:32 am

I sincerely hope not. Can't get rid of your best player in this league and not have a replacement. Not overly confident about our attacking options too.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:36 am

Having watched on Tuesday I still think we need a decent commanding centre back asap. I think a number 10 type player would be a nice to have but we may have to wait until nearer deadline day on this one.

claretdom
Been Liked: 1693 times
Has Liked: 193 times

Post by claretdom » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:39 am

I reckon if CT could merge the transfer threads from last summer and January into the current ones where we have fans claiming this window will be a let down, Dyche can't get signings done and we are messing about it would take a while for some to notice the difference.
This user liked this post: Sidney1st

dsr

Post by dsr » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:59 am

Silkyskills1 wrote:I sincerely hope not. Can't get rid of your best player in this league and not have a replacement.
Other way about actually. The reason we couldn't afford to keep Keane was because we couldn't meet his earnings from Everton and because we couldn't meet his ambition to play in Europe. And we can't and won't get a replacement of the same ability for the same reasons.

Teams like us with an England class player virtually always lose them; and they can't get a like-for-like replacement.

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:06 pm

dsr wrote:
Teams like us with an England class player virtually always lose them; and they can't get a like-for-like replacement.
No one has used the term "like for like" replacement, but pretty much everyone agrees that he needs to be replaced asap. We're clearly a player short in this department- whether it be to go straight into the team, or as back-up for Tarkowski and Mee. If one gets injured and the other a red card at Chelsea, then it's Long and one other for our first home game. (Not something most of us would be v happy about).
This user liked this post: tiger76

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1826 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:25 pm

We won't be done until everyone has concluded their business ie: close of the window.

There will be some players who would get straight into our XI who will be waiting to assess all the options. teams who need to line up replacements, players who find themselves surplus to requirements etc.

Will be buy anyone else, who knows but we aren't 'done'.

SonofPog
Been Liked: 157 times
Has Liked: 82 times

Post by SonofPog » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:33 pm

I look at our Midfield and pinch myself a little, there really is some quality, fighting spirit and enough creativity there.

Walters I wasn't sure about tbh, but he looks like a handful, Taylor is a fine addition and long term 1st choice,
I would have liked a new striker and a replacement for Keane though, although Tarks does desevre a chance.

Difficult to say right now, I think we've got plenty more in the tank but are waiting for the right player, which is fair.

Down_Rover
Been Liked: 445 times
Has Liked: 187 times

Post by Down_Rover » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:51 pm

Don't know. 28 days to go.

I could have said yes, I could have said no, but who knows?

Whatever I think or anyone else on this board thinks matters not a jot

Tiresome question

dsr

Post by dsr » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:52 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:No one has used the term "like for like" replacement, but pretty much everyone agrees that he needs to be replaced asap. We're clearly a player short in this department- whether it be to go straight into the team, or as back-up for Tarkowski and Mee. If one gets injured and the other a red card at Chelsea, then it's Long and one other for our first home game. (Not something most of us would be v happy about).
Of course we're a player short. But signing a replacement doesn't need to be a panic buy when you're looking for a replacement substitute, because the time we must get it done is either in the week after the red card and injury at the Chelsea game, or the last week of the window. I'm not going to get remotely excited because our subs bench isn't full yet.

UpTheBeehole
Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 496 times

Post by UpTheBeehole » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:00 pm

A replacement substitute is a weakening from last year. We can't afford to weaken any areas of the pitch when we escaped relegation by fewer points than Michael Keane gained for us last season.

moaninclaret
Been Liked: 170 times
Has Liked: 277 times

Post by moaninclaret » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:04 pm

were gunna be ok , SD will have sorted things, and we will be primed and ready with the team that we already have, still think Gray is the prime factor here, if he chooses to go then i think were in trouble, there is still time to buy a couple of quality players, how much we are willing to spend remains to be seen because we all know quality doesnt come cheap, certainly not home grown players so buying players from abroad looks an option, a risky one but maybe there is hidden quality out there for 6 or 7 million, which is probably the board are willing to pay. utc

dsr

Post by dsr » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:07 pm

UpTheBeehole wrote:A replacement substitute is a weakening from last year. We can't afford to weaken any areas of the pitch when we escaped relegation by fewer points than Michael Keane gained for us last season.
Michael Keane is an England player. No-one of that ability is going to come to Burnley because he will go to Everton or Man United or any of several dozen other European clubs who can pay more than we can. You need to face it, our central defence is weakened and we can't do anything about it.

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:10 pm

dsr wrote:Of course we're a player short. But signing a replacement doesn't need to be a panic buy when you're looking for a replacement substitute, because the time we must get it done is either in the week after the red card and injury at the Chelsea game,.....
Trying to buy a CB in the space of a week following the loss of both your first choice CBs, might be a rather expensive way of going about our business, don't you think?
Hopefully that scenario won't happen. (Fingers crossed).

UpTheBeehole

Post by UpTheBeehole » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:14 pm

dsr wrote:Michael Keane is an England player. No-one of that ability is going to come to Burnley because he will go to Everton or Man United or any of several dozen other European clubs who can pay more than we can. You need to face it, our central defence is weakened and we can't do anything about it.
Michael Keane came to Burnley in the first place. We need to replicate that.

For all this talk of Burnley being able to go out there and tell young players that Turf Moor is a great place where you'll be given a chance and we won't stand in their way when a big opportunity comes, we're not very good at putting it into action recently are we?

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:20 pm

Winger and centre half still needed. We've made the solid signings now we need a game changer out wide

dsr

Post by dsr » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:22 pm

UpTheBeehole wrote:Michael Keane came to Burnley in the first place. We need to replicate that.
Bingo! That's why we signed Tarkowski.

UpTheBeehole

Post by UpTheBeehole » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:28 pm

Tarkowski was signed as backup, when we were in the playoff positions in the Championship. He signed after posting his career best performance, reaching the giddy heights of... the playoff positions in the Championship.

We're a Premier League team now.

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1826 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:46 pm

Everyone talking about Keane being of national squad and European club quality with full 20/20 hindsight. Like all players we had hopes but no guarantee he would become this when we signed him.
We bought Keane as a player on his 4th loan club unable to get games at his parent club. Similar to Bamford or Chalobah.

He only became the player we know now after a lot of graft with us. So we're probably not going to get a like for like replacement for the player Keane is now, an international level defender. We're going to have to buy smart and hope they can become the next Keane.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:54 pm

UpTheBeehole wrote:Tarkowski was signed as backup, when we were in the playoff positions in the Championship. He signed after posting his career best performance, reaching the giddy heights of... the playoff positions in the Championship.

We're a Premier League team now.
He was signed as the long-term successor to Keane.

Keane himself was signed as backup and didn't establish himself in the first team until we were back in the Championship.
This user liked this post: dsr

beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 520 times

Post by beddie » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:27 pm

"Winger and centre half still needed. We've made the solid signings now we need a game changer out wide" Agree totally with that statement. We certainly don't want to be in a position come October/ November where we are crying out for a CH.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:59 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:Trying to buy a CB in the space of a week following the loss of both your first choice CBs, might be a rather expensive way of going about our business, don't you think?
Hopefully that scenario won't happen. (Fingers crossed).
Be another Marney scenario we need to strengthen now,hopefully we have more options then Craig Dawson.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3150 times
Has Liked: 10256 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:06 pm

SD was quite candid with several Burnley fans at Alfreton regarding looking for two or three more signings - no names or hints of but that's what he said so there's time yet.