Bid rejected for chris wood

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 674 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Re: Bid rejected for chris wood

Post by Jakubs Tash » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:57 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:Also Darwika has left
You could also argue that Flanagan and Bamford needed replacing too. They weren't our players but Flanagan was pretty much an ever present sub and once Bamford left we only had 3 x forwards.

Cork replaced Barton
Taylor replaced Flanagan
Walters replaced Bamford/4th striker
Legzdins replaced Robinson
Bardsley replaced Darikwa

Nobody has replaced Keane
Nobody has replaced Gray
Nobody has replaced Boyd
Nobody has replaced Kightly

bumba
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 201 times

Post by bumba » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:34 pm

Jakubs Tash wrote:You could also argue that Flanagan and Bamford needed replacing too. They weren't our players but Flanagan was pretty much an ever present sub and once Bamford left we only had 3 x forwards.

Cork replaced Barton
Taylor replaced Flanagan
Walters replaced Bamford/4th striker
Legzdins replaced Robinson
Bardsley replaced Darikwa

Nobody has replaced Keane
Nobody has replaced Gray
Nobody has replaced Boyd
Nobody has replaced Kightly
Brady was bought in january to replace Boyd as we knew he wasn't renewing wasn't he?
This user liked this post: turfytopper

Jakubs Tash

Post by Jakubs Tash » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:50 am

bumba wrote:Brady was bought in january to replace Boyd as we knew he wasn't renewing wasn't he?
Was he? Didn't he technically replace Kightly who went out on loan? If he was replacing anybody at all surely it would have been Kightly as it was clear that he was leaving in the summer but it wasn't clear that Boyd would leave at that point.

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 983 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by kentonclaret » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:01 am

The pedantic on this message board will say that it was always understood that Tarkowski was the replacement for Keane.

So, in effect we need a replacement for Tarkowski. ;)

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:01 am

Jakubs Tash wrote:Was he? Didn't he technically replace Kightly who went out on loan? If he was replacing anybody at all surely it would have been Kightly as it was clear that he was leaving in the summer but it wasn't clear that Boyd would leave at that point.
Thats the way i see it, Brady replaced Kightly, we need to replace Boyd, Keane and Gray now.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:39 am

Jakubs Tash wrote:Was he? Didn't he technically replace Kightly who went out on loan? If he was replacing anybody at all surely it would have been Kightly as it was clear that he was leaving in the summer but it wasn't clear that Boyd would leave at that point.
So you really think Brady was brought in to replace Kightly ?

That's a rather strange view....spending £13m for our development team - as that's where Kightly played most of his games in last couple of years.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:48 am

Brady is an upgrade on Kightly.

But he's also an upgrade on Arfield and Boyd, which is why we bought him

davemanu2000
Been Liked: 1145 times
Has Liked: 99 times

Post by davemanu2000 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:03 am

Chris would be a good buy . joining Burnley would make him a better player .

claretandy

Post by claretandy » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:19 am

TVC15 wrote:So you really think Brady was brought in to replace Kightly ?

That's a rather strange view....spending £13m for our development team - as that's where Kightly played most of his games in last couple of years.
That's why he replaced Kightly, because we have moved on since kightly joined, in an ideal world we would have never signed Kightly on a permanent deal but it was part of the loan agreement with stoke that we had to sign him.

Jakubs Tash

Post by Jakubs Tash » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:40 am

TVC15 wrote:So you really think Brady was brought in to replace Kightly ?

Not that strange. We are constantly looking to shift the quality of the squad forwards. The way I see it, Kightly was the next one to move on so therefore Arfield shifted back to where Kightly was in the pecking order and Brady came in as an improvement on Arfield, for example.

It sounds like you expect all direct replacements to be of the same quality as the outgoing player - THAT is strange. In my humble opinion, of course :)

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:27 pm

What is even stranger is that you seem to think that every new incoming player replaces an outgoing specific player.

That`s clearly not the case....but even if we pretend its true (!!) there is no way in a million years that Dyche brought Brady in to replace Kightly.

In my humble opinion.....that`s just daft !!

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2637 times
Has Liked: 6468 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:29 pm

kentonclaret wrote:The pedantic on this message board will say that it was always understood that Tarkowski was the replacement for Keane.

So, in effect we need a replacement for Tarkowski. ;)
pedants
This user liked this post: simonclaret

Jakubs Tash

Post by Jakubs Tash » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:43 pm

TVC15 wrote:What is even stranger is that you seem to think that every new incoming player replaces an outgoing specific player.

That`s clearly not the case....but even if we pretend its true (!!) there is no way in a million years that Dyche brought Brady in to replace Kightly.

In my humble opinion.....that`s just daft !!
Fair enough. As you say, that's your opinion and you're entitled to that.

You're probably right, we probably did bring Brady in to replace Boyd. Silly me.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:00 pm

Jakubs Tash wrote:Fair enough. As you say, that's your opinion and you're entitled to that.

You're probably right, we probably did bring Brady in to replace Boyd. Silly me.
I never said we brought in Brady to replace Boyd....i said we did not bring in Brady to replace Kightly.

As said we are not signing all our new players to replace specific outgoing players - we are in many cases just improving the quality of the squad by bringing in better players.

The fact you actually think Brady was brought in to replace Kightly is laughable.....there is absolutely zero evidence of this.

Jakubs Tash

Post by Jakubs Tash » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:44 pm

TVC15 wrote:I never said we brought in Brady to replace Boyd....i said we did not bring in Brady to replace Kightly.

As said we are not signing all our new players to replace specific outgoing players - we are in many cases just improving the quality of the squad by bringing in better players.

The fact you actually think Brady was brought in to replace Kightly is laughable.....there is absolutely zero evidence of this.
My mistake re boyd - got you mixed up with Bumba. Apologies.

Maybe my view of replacing outgoing players with incoming players is too simplistic for someone with your obvious in depth knowledge. However, this opinion was based on the fact that we carry such light numbers and therefore anyone who leaves the squad that is classed as 'in the 25' needs replacing.

We had wide options of JBG, Arfield, Boyd and Kightly at the start of Jan '17
Kightly was the one who was always going to leave (Boyd got offered a new deal)
Brady joins - Kightly leaves on loan and won't be renewing his contract
This leaving Brady, JBG, Arfield and Boyd....therefore Brady replaced Kightly in the squad
Boyd doesn't sign his contract extension and leaves
Now leaving Brady, JBG and Arfield....new wide man needed.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:12 pm

Jakubs Tash wrote:My mistake re boyd - got you mixed up with Bumba. Apologies.

Maybe my view of replacing outgoing players with incoming players is too simplistic for someone with your obvious in depth knowledge. However, this opinion was based on the fact that we carry such light numbers and therefore anyone who leaves the squad that is classed as 'in the 25' needs replacing.

We had wide options of JBG, Arfield, Boyd and Kightly at the start of Jan '17
Kightly was the one who was always going to leave (Boyd got offered a new deal)
Brady joins - Kightly leaves on loan and won't be renewing his contract
This leaving Brady, JBG, Arfield and Boyd....therefore Brady replaced Kightly in the squad
Boyd doesn't sign his contract extension and leaves
Now leaving Brady, JBG and Arfield....new wide man needed.

"My obvious in depth knowledge" ????!!!!

You are the one who is saying that Brady was brought in to replace Kightly....despite the fact that Dyche nor anyone at the club has ever said that and there is no evidence of this at all. You obviously have more knowledge than any of the fans, management team and Board of directors given you seem to be the only one who knows this !!

I haven`t got a clue why you are choosing to connect 2 completely different transactions.

Yes Kightly was always going to leave - that is obvious. But Brady was not bought to replace him. He was just bought to improve the team / squad. It`s pretty simple really. Does not take the depth of knowledge patronising description you allude to - just a bit of common sense darling (metaphorical pat on the head)

Jakubs Tash

Post by Jakubs Tash » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:36 pm

TVC15 wrote:"My obvious in depth knowledge" ????!!!!

You are the one who is saying that Brady was brought in to replace Kightly....despite the fact that Dyche nor anyone at the club has ever said that and there is no evidence of this at all. You obviously have more knowledge than any of the fans, management team and Board of directors given you seem to be the only one who knows this !!

I haven`t got a clue why you are choosing to connect 2 completely different transactions.

Yes Kightly was always going to leave - that is obvious. But Brady was not bought to replace him. He was just bought to improve the team / squad. It`s pretty simple really. Does not take the depth of knowledge patronising description you allude to - just a bit of common sense darling (metaphorical pat on the head)
Ok, sweetheart. My posts are essentially saying the same thing as yours but you don't seem to see that. Better player comes in and weaker player can leave = squad improves.
Anyway, you have a lovely evening....

turfytopper
Been Liked: 409 times
Has Liked: 3432 times

Post by turfytopper » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:12 pm

claretandy wrote:Thats the way i see it, Brady replaced Kightly, we need to replace Boyd, Keane and Gray now.
Brady was brought in to replace Boyd imo..... Kightley wasn't starting so Brady wasn't brought in to sit on the bench

MrTopTier
Been Liked: 1050 times
Has Liked: 996 times

Post by MrTopTier » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:15 pm

http://www.insidefutbol.com/2017/08/14/ ... ed/346923/

Sky reporting, Burnley going in with a higher bid tomorrow

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:15 pm

turfytopper wrote:Brady was brought in to replace Boyd imo..... Kightley wasn't starting so Brady wasn't brought in to sit on the bench
claretandy wrote:Thats the way i see it, Brady replaced Kightly, we need to replace Boyd, Keane and Gray now.[/quote
I think Walters was brought in to replace Boyd.

claretandy

Post by claretandy » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:28 pm

turfytopper wrote:Brady was brought in to replace Boyd imo..... Kightley wasn't starting so Brady wasn't brought in to sit on the bench
except boyd was starting and brady was on the bench.

Blyclaret
Been Liked: 208 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by Blyclaret » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:50 pm

Where does it say in that report that Burnley are putting in a higher bid tomorrow ??

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2379 times
Has Liked: 3808 times

Post by JohnMac » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:05 pm

I absolutely detest all this football talk of someone 'only earning £8,000 per week'.

Bloody hell next it will be 'he can hardly afford to put food on the table' :(

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:07 pm

MrTopTier wrote:http://www.insidefutbol.com/2017/08/14/ ... ed/346923/

Sky reporting, Burnley going in with a higher bid tomorrow

He's only on 8k a week!?( It's a hell of a lot of money for joe normal)

We can treble that at least!

claretandy

Post by claretandy » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:54 pm

No way is he only on 8k a week, i can remember reading nixons tweets at the time and there was on auction between leeds and wolves, i think leeds ended up paying him 27k a week according to nixon.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11062 times
Has Liked: 5668 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:05 pm

not what we need. Sam is more than capable when given good deliveries..............unless Dyche wants him to replace Keane :shock:

Giftonsnoidea
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 248 times

Post by Giftonsnoidea » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:22 pm

If we're gonna play 4-5-1 makes sense on a like for like basis, subbing on for Vokes

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:24 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:not what we need. Sam is more than capable when given good deliveries..............unless Dyche wants him to replace Keane :shock:
Suppose the risk is any injuries to Vokes, and the necessary cover.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:25 pm

Please no.
He's a poor man's Sam Vokes.

The team will be to samey, we need a plan b or change of approach if things aren't working.
Banes/Walters can be the last 20 sub or Vokes replacement.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11062 times
Has Liked: 5668 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:27 pm

Spijed wrote:Suppose the risk is any injuries to Vokes, and the necessary cover.
Barnes/Walters ?

We aren't gonna spend 15m + for someone to sit on the bench and I would suggest there is little chance of Sam being left out.

Giftonsnoidea

Post by Giftonsnoidea » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:27 pm

We need someone who can replicate the role Sam is playing at the moment wouldn't mind someone better than Chris wood tho. Barnes and Walters are not tall enough as target men. Do we have any scouts in Europe ?

SparkyClaret
Been Liked: 55 times
Has Liked: 149 times

Post by SparkyClaret » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:39 pm

Giftonsnoidea wrote:We need someone who can replicate the role Sam is playing at the moment wouldn't mind someone better than Chris wood tho. Barnes and Walters are not tall enough as target men. Do we have any scouts in Europe ?
Vokes is listed as 6ft 2. Both Walters and Barnes are 6ft. Hardly midgets

claretspice
Been Liked: 2835 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:46 pm

Particularly after saturday, i'd say the priority for us is someone with a really direct, pacey option who can be a goal threat either down the centre in 442 but who can also operate on the right flank in that 451 shape which suited us so well in every other respect on Saturday. On that basis, someone like Shane Long would seem to fit the bill better than Wood.

But - if we're able to sign that pacey wide player/second striker, then ive absolutely no problem with us signing someone like Wood who can offer a more angular and direct centre forward option in this 451. Theyd be effectively pushing Barnes down the pecking order and whilst he's done Ok for us over the past 3 years, I'm a little doubtful about him as our centre forward in a 451.

3putt
Been Liked: 180 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by 3putt » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:49 pm

MACCA wrote:Please no.
He's a poor man's Sam Vokes.

The team will be to samey, we need a plan b or change of approach if things aren't working.
Banes/Walters can be the last 20 sub or Vokes replacement.
I don't get this "poor man's Sam Vokes" tag that some people are using.

I understand he is a similar player to Vokes, but he scored 27 goals in a an average Championship team last season. Sam scored 20 goals in his great season with a brilliant partner in Ings.

So how can he manage to be so poor and score 27 goals?

When Sam joined us he was already becoming an ordinary journeyman and look how he's developed.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2835 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:59 pm

3putt wrote:I don't get this "poor man's Sam Vokes" tag that some people are using.

I understand he is a similar player to Vokes, but he scored 27 goals in a an average Championship team last season. Sam scored 20 goals in his great season with a brilliant partner in Ings.

When Sam joined us he was already becoming an ordinary journeyman and look how he's developed.
Completely agree, it seems to me a pretty unthinking comparison. Apart from the fact that Wood has pedigree in his own right, so far as im aware they are pretty different players apart from the fact theyre both tell and strong. One is fairly subtle in his movement and touch, and the other is generally described on the internet as direct, bullying and angular. Its like saying Ibrahimovich and Andy Carroll are similar style players. If Wood is more like one of our strikers, i reckon its Barnes not Vokes.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1698 times
Has Liked: 2535 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:00 pm

I think if we bring in Wood or Long it would be to replace Andre Gray.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:32 pm

Anderson and Agyei I assume wont count towards the 25, that leaves us with 22 players, by my reckoning, but that includes Marney and Ulvestad.

Hopefully we can shift the latter on, it would probably be best for both parties. That would allow us to bring in at least three (winger, striker, centre half) and perhaps an extra option for for an attacking midfielder, assuming we are playing a five.

Giftonsnoidea

Post by Giftonsnoidea » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:38 pm

SparkyClaret wrote:Vokes is listed as 6ft 2. Both Walters and Barnes are 6ft. Hardly midgets
Fair comment, I don't think the other two are particularly well renowned for headed goals tho even tho they might be tall. Barnes went through a spell last season of nearly taking opposition players heads off with his elbows when attempting to challenge defenders tohighballs which luckily he stopped doing as a red was gonna be the definite outcome. Walters doesn't look quick or agile enough to play target man either.

BFC88
Been Liked: 34 times
Has Liked: 18 times

Post by BFC88 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:47 pm

Jakubs Tash wrote:Ok, sweetheart. My posts are essentially saying the same thing as yours but you don't seem to see that. Better player comes in and weaker player can leave = squad improves.
Anyway, you have a lovely evening....
I thought this thread concerned Chris Wood???

Who gives a monkeys who Brady came to replace. He's better than Boyd, Kightly and Arfield and thats why he was signed.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1698 times
Has Liked: 2535 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:44 pm

If Brady hadn't signed Kightly would not have gone to Burton.

RattyClaret
Been Liked: 93 times
Has Liked: 32 times

Post by RattyClaret » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:14 am

Silkyskills1 wrote:If Brady hadn't signed Kightly would not have gone to Burton.
Didn't he go to Southend?

lrac
Been Liked: 106 times
Has Liked: 283 times

Post by lrac » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:28 am

RattyClaret wrote:Didn't he go to Southend?
He signed for Southend this summer. Went to button on loan .utc

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3811 times
Has Liked: 1072 times

Post by KRBFC » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:37 am

3putt wrote:I don't get this "poor man's Sam Vokes" tag that some people are using.

How many PL goals?

How many good seasons has Wood had in his career to date? I count 1 compared with Vokes' 3.

Leeds weren't an average side last year, they choked playoffs with 1 game to spare.

Wood played upfront on his own in a team built around him. As you say, Vokes had to scrap for goals with Ings/Gray next to him, stealing them.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1774 times
Has Liked: 361 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:48 am

Daily Mail reporting a £20m bid... if its to be believed, I reckon it looks like we are just offering a big sack of cash rather than a lower bid with add-ons.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... -Wood.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A different approach to our low bids and the hope of turning the players head and forcing a move.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:51 am

KRBFC wrote:How many PL goals?
How many good seasons has Wood had in his career to date? I count 1 compared with Vokes' 3..
One of the worst arguments I've ever read online. You're only as good as your recent form.

You've never seen Wood play, so not sure how you can comment really. I've sat through many pain staking Leeds games and I know exactly how he plays. He's actually pretty fast and defenders are scared to bloody death of him. He gets in their faces, can head a ball but he is always in the right place at the right time. There's a reason why Dyche wants him - he's bloody good!

He is similar to Vokes, but if anybody compares him to Vokes, they've never seen Wood play. You can have a big nose and not be like Vokes :mrgreen:
These 2 users liked this post: Quicknick Greenmile

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:03 am

FactualFrank wrote:One of the worst arguments I've ever read online. You're only as good as your recent form.

You've never seen Wood play, so not sure how you can comment really. I've sat through many pain staking Leeds games and I know exactly how he plays. He's actually pretty fast and defenders are scared to bloody death of him. He gets in their faces, can head a ball but he is always in the right place at the right time. There's a reason why Dyche wants him - he's bloody good!

He is similar to Vokes, but if anybody compares him to Vokes, they've never seen Wood play. You can have a big nose and not be like Vokes :mrgreen:
I have never seen him play? Ok.
I never said he was a bad player, he'd be a good signing based on his form last season but is that really Chris Wood or did he just have the season of his life? I can confirm the Leeds fans hated him before last season, why was that? If I remember correctly he couldn't even consistently get in the Leeds team the season before last. Which Chris Wood would we get? The one who couldn't hit a barn door for years or the great striker he was last year?

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:07 am

KRBFC wrote:I have never seen him play? Ok.
I never said he was a bad player, he'd be a good signing based on his form last season but is that really Chris Wood or did he just have the season of his life? I can confirm the Leeds fans hated him before last season, why was that? If I remember correctly he couldn't even consistently get in the Leeds team the season before last. Which Chris Wood would we get? The one who couldn't hit a barn door for years or the great striker he was last year?
2 words... Jamie Vardy.

Did you see him before his scoring season? He was bang average. And then - superb.

Thats what happens with footballers. You can be pretty average and then you're one of the best footballers in Europe. It happens.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1774 times
Has Liked: 361 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:15 am

If given the choice 2 years ago between Gray and Wood, I would've gone for Wood.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:16 am

FactualFrank wrote:2 words... Jamie Vardy.

Did you see him before his scoring season? He was bang average. And then - superb.

Thats what happens with footballers. You can be pretty average and then you're one of the best footballers in Europe. It happens.
Yeah but id be a bit concerned by us spending £20M on a player who's had one good season. One season wonders do exist, hopefully he's the same player he was last season, if he is im sure he'll be a good fit.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:22 am

KRBFC wrote:Yeah but id be a bit concerned by us spending £20M on a player who's had one good season. One season wonders do exist, hopefully he's the same player he was last season, if he is im sure he'll be a good fit.
I'm concerned with every transfer haha. I do know where you're coming from. But if we sign Chris Wood, it would be a hell of a signing - although I'm hearing other clubs have offered more and we won't match it, so we probs wont be having him anyway.

Bump this thread up when the club trumping us have him as their leading scorer. We should up our limit and buy him. He can score as many as Andre Gray. A different player but he can do a job.