England manager accused of racism

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

England manager accused of racism

Post by Damo » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:00 pm

England manager Mark Sampson has been accused of racism after a bullying and harassment complaint was made by Eniola Aluko.
He apparently accused an unnamed player of being arrested previously, and this has racial connotations because the player is mixed race

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40955458" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Caballo
Been Liked: 421 times
Has Liked: 433 times

Re: England manager accused of racism

Post by Caballo » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:05 pm

interesting slant from the Beeb, the final paragraph of the article reads;

"The detailed independent investigation report did not uphold any of Eniola Aluko's complaints and found no wrong-doing on behalf of The FA or others."

Should the headline have been, England manager cleared of racism allegation?
This user liked this post: tim_noone

box_of_frogs
Been Liked: 1087 times
Has Liked: 996 times

Post by box_of_frogs » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:07 pm

Not "Should" the headline of been. It's surely fact that he was cleared.

Damo

Post by Damo » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:10 pm

Caballo wrote:interesting slant from the Beeb, the final paragraph of the article reads;

"The detailed independent investigation report did not uphold any of Eniola Aluko's complaints and found no wrong-doing on behalf of The FA or others."

Should the headline have been, England manager cleared of racism allegation?
Yes or perhaps "disgruntled player plays the race card. Now looks like an idiot"

UpTheBeehole
Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 496 times

Post by UpTheBeehole » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:10 pm

Strange that she was awarded £80k of hush money by the FA though, don't you think?

RocketLawnChair
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 832 times

Post by RocketLawnChair » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:14 pm

UpTheBeehole wrote:Strange that she was awarded £80k of hush money by the FA though, don't you think?
How is it 'hush money' if she wasn't prevented from talking about the incident?

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:16 pm

UpTheBeehole wrote:Strange that she was awarded £80k of hush money by the FA though, don't you think?
I'll take 10k hush money off anyone willing to part with it.

ClaretMoffitt
Been Liked: 1216 times
Has Liked: 807 times

Post by ClaretMoffitt » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:18 pm

Damo wrote:Yes or perhaps "disgruntled player plays the race card. Now looks like an idiot"
You never look like an idiot if you play the race card as a minority, fake or not. The white liberal crowd will simply blame a racist and discriminatory system for your lack of justice.

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1739 times
Has Liked: 271 times

Post by agreenwood » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:20 pm

Thread degeneration in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.....

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:20 pm

Sounds like a heap of ********.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2596 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:26 pm

Women's football, the BBC and an inference of racism.

If this thread doesn't make at least a dozen pages, you've all let yourselves down and I don't know this board anymore.
These 4 users liked this post: quoonbeatz Sidney1st Damo TsarBomba

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2004 times
Has Liked: 3339 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:31 pm

It appears she was complaining about something that was said to A.N. Other when she wasn't even present and I'm sure during the independent investigation all those who actually WERE present were consulted. Thus reading between the lines it looks like they all said it was bobbins and she looks a bit of a chump. Which in turn makes the 80 grand seem even stranger!

Caballo
Been Liked: 421 times
Has Liked: 433 times

Post by Caballo » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:34 pm

Agree that it is a little strange yes, though as pointed out by others not really 'hush' money as such. Also found it incredibly odd that she was so offended by his comments even though she wasn't at the meeting in which they were made. An odd affair all around!

ClaretEngineer
Been Liked: 690 times
Has Liked: 406 times

Post by ClaretEngineer » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:43 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40850231" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The £80,000 payment seems more than a little unjustified here. Sampson was cleared of bullying by the FA yet they still chose to pay £80,000?

And now we have another claim by the same claimant for an event at which which she was not present?

To accuse someone of being arrested is foolhardy at best (especially if you've come by incorrect information), but to imply that the remark was based on racial grounds without offering any solid evidence is disgraceful. Seems to me like the claimant is playing the race card here for some sort of personal agenda.

UpTheBeehole

Post by UpTheBeehole » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:52 pm

I would say that saying a mixed-race person had been arrested multiple times, completely out of context, incorrect and irrelevant to the conversation, would be seen by many as having basis in the recipient being of mixed race. It's soft racism, for sure. There's the implication that she'll have been arrested because black and mixed race people get arrested more.

Caernarfon_Claret
Been Liked: 1474 times
Has Liked: 634 times

Post by Caernarfon_Claret » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:56 pm

Is this the same FA that killed off the women's game the first time around and stamped up and down on it for 50 years supported by their cronies at The BMJ?

The same FA that have impeded investigations into possible child sexual offense by football coaches?

The FA wouldn't know integrity if it bit them on the behind.

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:11 pm

RocketLawnChair wrote:How is it 'hush money' if she wasn't prevented from talking about the incident?
The deal was that the payment would be made to her and she was not to comment on it until after the Euros so as not to wreck the positivity surrounding the camp

dsr
Been Liked: 4575 times
Has Liked: 2264 times

Post by dsr » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:18 pm

Caernarfon_Claret wrote:Is this the same FA that killed off the women's game the first time around ...?
No, because that was in 1921 and all the FA members from that time are dead. You might as well blame Teresa May for the first world war - HM Government now is a successor of HM Government then, but it's not the same government.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1487 times
Has Liked: 1847 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:26 pm

Eniola is a far better footballer than her overrated brother.

RocketLawnChair
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 832 times

Post by RocketLawnChair » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:26 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:The deal was that the payment would be made to her and she was not to comment on it until after the Euros so as not to wreck the positivity surrounding the camp
Who cares,,, I wish we'd sign somebody and ******* quick.

Caernarfon_Claret

Post by Caernarfon_Claret » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:34 pm

dsr wrote:No, because that was in 1921 and all the FA members from that time are dead. You might as well blame Teresa May for the first world war - HM Government now is a successor of HM Government then, but it's not the same government.

I do blame her - Nothing to do with The assassination of an archduke at all.

Although the FA handling of an independent investigation into child abuse within football - ignoring the independent advice and trying to impede the investigation is relevant surely.

Rowls
Been Liked: 5096 times
Has Liked: 5159 times

Post by Rowls » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:38 pm

It's a rather oblique accusation and requires as much contrivance on behalf of the vicariously offended "victim" as it does on the part of the (named) accused manager, Mark Sampson.

Even the BBC have re-branded it as him being accused of "using 'racial' language".

That's the charge, according to the BBC - using racial language.

The FA have conducted a full investigation and found no evidence of wrongdoing.

dsr
Been Liked: 4575 times
Has Liked: 2264 times

Post by dsr » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:40 pm

Caernarfon_Claret wrote:I do blame her - Nothing to do with The assassination of an archduke at all.

Although the FA handling of an independent investigation into child abuse within football - ignoring the independent advice and trying to impede the investigation is relevant surely.
Possibly, but I did the causes of WW! at school, so I know more about it than the FA and child abuse.

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:49 pm

There was the video footage of the abuse by Sampson and his coaches

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6363 times
Has Liked: 8705 times

Post by IanMcL » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:59 pm

I hate racial abuse and I hate it when ethnic minorities play the race card. Really because I just think we are all in it together, so don't have an issue - except when someone makes it an issue and then we all suddenly become different.

Braindead
Been Liked: 987 times
Has Liked: 1056 times

Post by Braindead » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:09 pm

The one thing that comes out of all this in my opinion, is that Lawyer Eniola Aluko as a third party offendee is a bit of a dick.

Caernarfon_Claret

Post by Caernarfon_Claret » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:25 pm

They should change manager anyway - Sampson has no plan b - he's tactically inept as proved by The two semi-final defeats. If England want to win a trophy they have to get a World Class manager.

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:47 pm

Looks like this has become an official BBC Bandwagon.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40962526" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And why shouldn't there be "bigger questions" even after a full report found no evidence of wrongdoing? Should Mark Sampson now be forced to take a 3 year degree in gender studies at the University of North Wales? Should the FA be forced to apologize for slavery in Africa in the 1600s?

Perhaps we should ask what form the "bigger questions" should take? Should they be the same questions as before but written in a larger typeface or should they be written in the same font size but re-phrased as to make them longer?

Whatever happens, we know that the full investigation that found no evidence of wrongdoing shouldn't be brushed under the carpet. No. It must come to the correct, "bigger" conclusion.

On a related note, here's the best article I've read about modern race identity is working in society:

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/08/t ... -politics/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Damo

Post by Damo » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:55 pm

UpTheBeehole wrote:I would say that saying a mixed-race person had been arrested multiple times, completely out of context, incorrect and irrelevant to the conversation, would be seen by many as having basis in the recipient being of mixed race. It's soft racism, for sure. There's the implication that she'll have been arrested because black and mixed race people get arrested more.
Yeah we know what you would say. No doubt you want to knock him out

UpTheBeehole

Post by UpTheBeehole » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:59 pm

Rowls wrote:Looks like this has become an official BBC Bandwagon.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40962526" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And why shouldn't there be "bigger questions" even after a full report found no evidence of wrongdoing? Should Mark Sampson now be forced to take a 3 year degree in gender studies at the University of North Wales? Should the FA be forced to apologize for slavery in Africa in the 1600s?

Perhaps we should ask what form the "bigger questions" should take? Should they be the same questions as before but written in a larger typeface or should they be written in the same font size but re-phrased as to make them longer?

Whatever happens, we know that the full investigation that found no evidence of wrongdoing shouldn't be brushed under the carpet. No. It must come to the correct, "bigger" conclusion.

On a related note, here's the best article I've read about modern race identity is working in society:

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/08/t ... -politics/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's strange you've centred on the BBC's report on it, and not say the Daily Mail's. What's your agenda?

After all, it was the Daily Mail's story in the first place

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... squad.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -star.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa/art ... layer.html

UpTheBeehole

Post by UpTheBeehole » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:00 pm

Damo wrote:Yeah we know what you would say. No doubt you want to knock him out
Deliberately misquoting me does you no favours.

UpTheBeehole

Post by UpTheBeehole » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:02 pm

I said this:
UpTheBeehole wrote:To be absolutely clear, I was not saying I would knock anyone out.

But someone would, talking that crap round town and not on a cosy little messageboard on your grubby pc in the corner of the back room.

Caernarfon_Claret

Post by Caernarfon_Claret » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:19 pm

There is a higher proportion of Black people arrested to population size but the vast majority (around 75%)of those arrested are white. About 8% of arrests are of those of Black ethnicity.

Although it's always difficult to get the most recent figures.

Those who distort such figures are either ignorant or intentionally trying to denegrate a particular group.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2335 times
Has Liked: 1040 times

Post by Clarets4me » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:15 pm

If one was being mischievious, you could ask the FA to launch an investigation into the gross under-representation of White native British players in the Premier League ! Compared to the population of the UK at large, and specifically that proportion of the populace that attend or view Premier League games, the white Briton is criminally under-represented in the EPL ( As we must now call it )

We are continually being told that our institutions should change to reflect modern Britain. According to the 2011 census, the UK population is 86% white British, and I am now deeply offended at this discrimination against this persecuted minority, in whose number I regrettably find myself. As an overweight 53 year old, with arthritic hips and a right knee missing most of it's cartilage, I appreciate that rectifying this imbalance would not necessarily improve my employment prospects, but such is the upset and distress I have suffered, I feel some redress is in order.

However, should the FA or EPL remit me the sum of £80,000 Sterling, via my Solicitors ( Mssrs. Sue, Grabbit and Runne ), in compensation, I may well feel able to discontinue any further legal action...

Tongue firmly in cheek !! ;) ;)

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:55 am

UpTheBeehole wrote:It's strange you've centred on the BBC's report on it, and not say the Daily Mail's. What's your agenda?
You think it's strange that I choose to read the BBC news whilst living abroad but avoid the Daily Mail website? :?

I can't stand people with such an anti-BBC, pro-Daily Mail agenda like yourself. We don't all read the Daily Mail you fascist scumbag.

ClaretEngineer
Been Liked: 690 times
Has Liked: 406 times

Post by ClaretEngineer » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:42 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40968909" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sampson now cleared by the FA.

Interesting observations made by the barrister acting on behalf of the FA

bedfords
Been Liked: 121 times
Has Liked: 96 times

Post by bedfords » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:36 am

ClaretMoffitt wrote:You never look like an idiot if you play the race card as a minority, fake or not. The white liberal crowd will simply blame a racist and discriminatory system for your lack of justice.
Playing any "card" is equally pathetic.

Walton
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 242 times

Post by Walton » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:25 pm

“We were in the hotel. Everybody was excited. It was a big game. On the wall, there was a list of the family and friends who were coming to watch us and I just happened to be next to Mark. He asked me if I had anyone who would be there and I said I had family coming over from Nigeria. ‘Oh,’ he said. ‘Nigeria? Make sure they don’t bring Ebola with them.’
https://amp.theguardian.com/football/20 ... pson-ebola

Mark Sampson sounds like an utter knob.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:29 pm

Walton wrote:https://amp.theguardian.com/football/20 ... pson-ebola

Mark Sampson sounds like an utter knob.
Based on what? A fairy story....