Tarkowski

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
EarbyClaret
Been Liked: 499 times

Re: Tarkowski

Post by EarbyClaret » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:22 pm

We need sign a CB capable of coming straight into the stating line-up. Doesn't mean to say that player will automatically displace Tarkowski but if it turns out to be someone like Simunovic then they are likely to have the edge over him.

Tarkowski has looked generally decent but the PL is an unforgiving place. It's not so much a question of physical speed, although that got Keane out of trouble on occasion, but mental speed. In the last two games, and towards the end of last season, on several occasions he's lacked that split-second anticipation which at this level is the difference between conceding or not.

We look like we've got one striker coming with another a distinct possibility. We will almost certainly sign a midfielder, either to play centrally or wide or someone who can cover both. They will be massive steps in the right direction but failure to strengthen adequately at CB and we're always going to be vulnerable to losing marginal games, lie yesterday, which will keep us pegged on or around the relegation places.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3080 times
Has Liked: 5056 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:28 pm

Tarks will be fine. He's still getting used to the Prem, and given time will iron out the few problems he had yesterday. When you've never played regularly, the speed with which attackers close you down in the prem can be a shock to the system. A couple of times he held on to the ball too long, and then tried to play out of trouble (suicidal), when he should have put it in row Z. Simunovic would be great competition for a CB berth and helpfully push each other to even greater heights.

happyclaret17
Been Liked: 446 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Post by happyclaret17 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:06 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:He tried to make a tackle he couldn't win, it was a poor decision which left Kanu with more time than he should have had.
He should have looked to force him wide.
spot on bordeaux
no he didnt go to ground but he was out of the game by losing crucial momentum.....he has to be disappointed with his decision and Ward also should have got goal side instead of trying to flick ball away......no good having good games with momentary lapses.....if the whole team learn a lesson from this then fair enough....ward/tarks could and should have done better....lets move on....I am sure both know this....our lads seem an honest bunch.

scrambledclaret
Been Liked: 27 times
Has Liked: 128 times

Post by scrambledclaret » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:06 pm

I'm a big fan of Tarks from what little I've seen. He can exceedingly comfortable on the ball and his distribution can great but he has had a couple of moments as it were. That said, don't think he was really at blame for the goal yesterday. It's early days for him still and I'm looking forward to seeing him develop for us.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

happyclaret17

Post by happyclaret17 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:24 pm

one thing our players do under dyche is improve....if a lad has character and looks at his own performance and how he can improve then thats a massive thing....if he looks to blame others then thats a worry....I doubt very much that Ward or Tarks lack character and honesty so thats fine.....virtually every goal scored at every level could be disected and blame dushed out....we are playing in the strongest in depth league in the world....mistakes will happen....overall we do very well and are continuing to improve....utc.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

ClaretRock
Been Liked: 38 times
Has Liked: 86 times

Post by ClaretRock » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:16 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:I have just watched the highlights again. Mee was absolutely shocking in respect to the goal as was Ward.

People keep slating Tarks but I'm starting to think that the weak link at the back is actually Mee.

People forget that Mee has only played CB next to arguably a world class CB
Sounds like someone has an agenda :lol:
You forget Mee had some of the best stats in the Leauge last season. There wasnt one person at fault for the goal this weekend. You stating Mee as a weak link after last season and we beat Chelski 2-3 last weekend tells me you know FA about football my lad.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1573 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:25 pm

Haha I knew someone would bite. Just because I say something that slightly goes against the golden child.

Mee is decent but nothing more. Was at fault for Luiz goal at Chelsea and his sloppy defending lead to the goal against West Brom.

you can defend him all you want but I can only think of a handful of games where I thought Mee was good. Keane got Mee out of bad situations every single game last season.

But Mee is our Level or he would be signed by someone else so can't really complain

addisclaret
Been Liked: 175 times
Has Liked: 707 times

Post by addisclaret » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:27 pm

joey13 wrote:I hope not
I presume from your comment that you have obviously gained promotion to the premier league more than twice (in real life, not on fifa or football manager) and therefore accept that your scouting and analysis of Tarkowski's current and potential levels of ability are superior to the gaffers.

Dyche out!

happyclaret17

Post by happyclaret17 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:28 pm

really dont get the ben mee criticism....the other lad was running with momentum to get some leverage in his jump...mee was always going to be 2nd favourite in that instance. his fellow defenders had to anticipate him losing that challenge and get prepared to deal with the loose ball....Ward and Tarks made a poor job of it.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3164 times
Has Liked: 6758 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:32 pm

happyclaret17 wrote:really dont get the ben mee criticism....the other lad was running with momentum to get some leverage in his jump...mee was always going to be 2nd favourite in that instance. his fellow defenders had to anticipate him losing that challenge and get prepared to deal with the loose ball....Ward and Tarks made a poor job of it.
it's a pity it was Mee going for the header with Tarkowski covering, the other way round and there's no problem...even if Tarkowski fails to clear.

these defensive partnerships take a while to develop.
This user liked this post: addisclaret

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1573 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:38 pm

To be honest Happy I think that is a really poor excuse.
It was a long ball, any CB worth there salt should be dealing with that. If it was Tarkowski or Lowton (both subject do dogs abuse) they would be getting slated. But for some reason knowone gives Mee any kind of negative feedback

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:48 pm

addisclaret wrote:I presume from your comment that you have obviously gained promotion to the premier league more than twice (in real life, not on fifa or football manager) and therefore accept that your scouting and analysis of Tarkowski's current and potential levels of ability are superior to the gaffers.

Dyche out!
Why Dyche out ?

addisclaret

Post by addisclaret » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:51 pm

So we can get you in to replace him as he obviously has no idea about the quality or potential of centre backs; unlike yourself.

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:02 pm

addisclaret wrote:So we can get you in to replace him as he obviously has no idea about the quality or potential of centre backs; unlike yourself.
That'll be why he is looking for a centre back then .
Sorry for having an opinion on a football messageboard , maybe you will get used to the concept with time .

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3164 times
Has Liked: 6758 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:04 pm

joey13 wrote:That'll be why he is looking for a centre back then .
Sorry for having an opinion on a football messageboard , maybe you will get used to the concept with time .
Your posts are not really expressing an opinion, though, just a preference ;)

happyclaret17

Post by happyclaret17 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:05 pm

I just think that the lad standing under the ball waiting for it to fall is at a disadvantage newcastle
whether the attacker or defender its difficult to get the better of someone running into the ball landing area.
like I said before, your team mates have to prepare to defend the second ball....if tarks had been where mee was then mee
would have had to deal with the 2nd ball.

addisclaret

Post by addisclaret » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:07 pm

No need to apologise Joe.

Maybe you (and many others) will get used to the concept of us having the best manager for donkeys years and if he thinks even Carlton Palmer is good enough then he is probably right.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1820 times
Has Liked: 1800 times

Post by dougcollins » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:16 pm

I reckon SD is definitely regarding Taylor as LB/CB cover. I'm not convinced we'll be seeing anyone else in that department.

Wokingclaret
Been Liked: 298 times
Has Liked: 781 times

Post by Wokingclaret » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:47 pm

He should have took one for the team yesterday

addisclaret

Post by addisclaret » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:50 pm

taken

Wokingclaret
Been Liked: 298 times
Has Liked: 781 times

Post by Wokingclaret » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:24 pm

Didn't

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:35 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:Seen a lot of unfair criticism aimed at Tarkowski for the goal today.

Didn't think there was too much he did wrong.
If the blame lies anywhere surely it's with Mee and Ward.

For the second time in two games Mee has been caught ball watching allowing the forward space and time to head the ball on. Then wards tackle on Robson Kanu was shocking.

I thought overall Tarkowski was great today. Distribution was fantastic.
Judging all players after only two days really is unproductive in my view.

TopCat
Been Liked: 172 times
Has Liked: 46 times

Post by TopCat » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:31 am

I thought Tarks was close to MOM personally, apart from the one goal.
Can he cut these errors out and learn quickly?
He has been partially to blame for every goal we have conceded this season so far.

Greeny
Been Liked: 55 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by Greeny » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:41 am

I think a number of people on this Messageboard need to sniff a bit of reality. I remember seeing Michael Keen in his early days with us + he looked bang average - night match away at Old Trafford is a prime example. Under Dyche's care he developed into a class act over time. Ben Mee has been culpable over the last few seasons with us dropping plenty of points due to various errors of judgement. He has improved as we all know. Tarks is a good player. Give him a break. Dyche + Co will weave their Centre Half Magic...
This user liked this post: billyhamilton82

jlup1980
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 531 times

Post by jlup1980 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:43 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:I have just watched the highlights again. Mee was absolutely shocking in respect to the goal as was Ward.

People keep slating Tarks but I'm starting to think that the weak link at the back is actually Mee.

People forget that Mee has only played CB next to arguably a world class CB
Ben Mee has a brilliant attitude, he's old school and I've loved the guy since he joined the club. He's a proper 100% effort sort of player that fans love because they know what they'll get week-in, week-out. However, and it does pain me to say this, I do think he was at fault for a few goals last season. His rash tackles vs Hull and Everton cost us goals. He was part of the fiasco of a goal vs City at home and there were one or two others as well. It's not like he making huge blunders, but he does make errors.

How many mistakes did Keane make last season? I thought he was majestic all season. From what I saw he very rarely put a foot wrong and he didn't cost us a single goal. That's why he's the £30 million man and not Mee.

Tarky needs time to adjust in the team, but he also needs reliability next to him. Anyone who levels that goal against Tarky has an agenda. He shouldn't have even been needed. Mee missed the header, Ward missed the tackle, Tarky wasn't strong enough. Maximum blame for him is 33% if we're getting technical.

Hapag Lloyd
Been Liked: 286 times
Has Liked: 427 times

Post by Hapag Lloyd » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:45 am

TopCat wrote: He has been partially to blame for every goal we have conceded this season so far.
and 4 of the last 6 we conceded last season.

I think he's a good footballer but a bit slow to react when playing in the centre of defence.
Here's hoping Dyche and his coaching team can get him up to speed.

Guller Bull
Been Liked: 791 times
Has Liked: 1017 times

Post by Guller Bull » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:50 am

I think the problem is with Tarkowski is that there isn't a problem.

He is a player with ability that needs time and support to develop into a top class Prem player. He isn't that yet as neither was Keane until he got that time and support.

You get a mouthy individual on a message board who keeps banging on about how great a player Tarkowski is going to be in every position on the pitch and how he is the answer to pestilence, famine and plague,then there is going to be a counter criticism and people looking to disprove the mouthy individual. Unfortunately that is not in the best interest of the player's development to be under unnecessary hyper critical watch.

Ignore the mouthy individual and encourage the player
This user liked this post: Braindead

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1160 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:51 am

Harsh on Tarks as all 3 of em were at fault to be fair.Watd surely to be phased out for Taylor though and Ben Mee much as I love him for his bravery and attitude is v lucky to be playing prem league .

As for those bemoaning Keanes loss he made more than his share of errors Tarks has class written all over him imo but whether him and Mee will hit it off I'm not so sure.

KlyBfc
Been Liked: 214 times
Has Liked: 129 times

Post by KlyBfc » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:10 am

Regarding the blame being squared at Tarks. For the first against Chelsea. He did lose sight of Morata for a split second (whilst trying to keep the offside line) which is all it took as Willian put an excellent ball in (unpressured may I add). This I agree was a mistake but only a slight one, not as some are making into this huge error. To add some realism to it did anyone watch the spurs defence do exactly the same yesterday and Morata, fortunately for them, head wide? I Wonder if the spurs fans are questioning Toby A and Tripps in the same way!

As for the other goals, as highlighted by many, blame can and should be quite rightly attributed to others than just Tarkowski.

keith1879
Been Liked: 262 times
Has Liked: 366 times

Post by keith1879 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:04 pm

Greeny wrote:I think a number of people on this Messageboard need to sniff a bit of reality. I remember seeing Michael Keen in his early days with us + he looked bang average - night match away at Old Trafford is a prime example. Under Dyche's care he developed into a class act over time. Ben Mee has been culpable over the last few seasons with us dropping plenty of points due to various errors of judgement. He has improved as we all know. Tarks is a good player. Give him a break. Dyche + Co will weave their Centre Half Magic...
Yes - I thought Keane was a liability at first. I also remember going to games in the early 70s with my Dad and after seeing Dobson a couple of times we both agreed that he was nowhere near good enough (might even have been late 60s).

To some extent you do have to give players a chance to fail if they are going to succeed. Fingers crossed Tarks will be OK - I thought he had a very good game generally on saturday.

Braindead
Been Liked: 987 times
Has Liked: 1056 times

Post by Braindead » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:08 pm

AlargeClaret wrote:Harsh on Tarks as all 3 of em were at fault to be fair.Watd surely to be phased out for Taylor though and Ben Mee much as I love him for his bravery and attitude is v lucky to be playing prem league .

As for those bemoaning Keanes loss he made more than his share of errors Tarks has class written all over him imo but whether him and Mee will hit it off I'm not so sure.
I am interested to know why you think Ben Mee is 'lucky to be playing Premier League'?

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:09 pm

If we are going to hand out critiques of players' involvement in goals, that's twice that we've conceded goals where Mee has been pushed up from the defensive line to engage in a physical battle.

I'm not sure with whom, but he was involved in a very odd wrestling match 2 yards ahead of Tarkowski and the rest of the line for Morata's first at Chelsea, too.

This is all nit-picking. Mee is a perfectly decent, but far from flawless defender at this level who in the right set up will be part of a mean defence. Tarkowski is similar, except that he's far less experienced. I'm far less concerned about us being able to address the shortcomings our defenders have revealed so far on the training ground, than our ability to address the lack of incisiveness revealed to an extent on Saturday.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1650 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:13 pm

That Mee and Tarks are both reasonable at this level but could be improved upon if we invest fairly big money is something I woukd hope we would all agree on.

As for Tarks being responsible in part for the goal on Saturday and for one at Chelsea, we just need to ask the biggest authority on the subject - himself.

He admitted to the Chelsea one in his admirably honest interview last week, and he held up his hand to the fans at the end on Saturday which was a fairly clear indication of how bad he felt about it. To be honest he appeared too honest and too thoughtful - I think he just needs a tough streak and a bit more confidence.