ARTICLE: Every game counts and this one is definitely serious

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32390 times
Has Liked: 5270 times

ARTICLE: Every game counts and this one is definitely serious

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:39 am

Tony Mowbray & Sean Dyche ahead of tonight's game

See link
http://www.uptheclarets.com/every-game- ... ly-serious" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mybloodisclaret
Been Liked: 698 times
Has Liked: 4020 times

Re: ARTICLE: Every game counts and this one is definitely serious

Post by mybloodisclaret » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:47 am

Sounds like there will be quite a few changes in both camps. Just hope we have a very strong bench if things aren't going our way. Don't want to lose this one.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:49 am

mybloodisclaret wrote:Sounds like there will be quite a few changes in both camps. Just hope we have a very strong bench if things aren't going our way. Don't want to lose this one.
I think we will be making a lot of changes. Not the 10 we made last year but not far short.

edlass
Been Liked: 59 times
Has Liked: 37 times

Post by edlass » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:52 am

I wonder if that has been Dyche's plan for each of these matches. To try and take the rivalry part away from the players before hand so it really is just like another match to them.

I know some managers like to push the rivalry angle to get their players fired up. Either way, whatever he does has been working so lets hope it continues!

It would be a nice rose between two premier league thorns.

mybloodisclaret
Been Liked: 698 times
Has Liked: 4020 times

Post by mybloodisclaret » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:09 pm

ClaretTony wrote:I think we will be making a lot of changes. Not the 10 we made last year but not far short.
As I said on the other thread about selection. I would like to see Heaton and Mee playing, not so sure they will but they know about this game.

Happy for Bardlsey and Taylor to play. I wouldn't risk Defour, but would like to see Cork, Hendrick and Brady. Not sure we will, but they would have the class to boss the middle of the park.

Perhaps Wood up top with Walters playing off him. That allows for 6 changes. Hoping not much more than that really. Growing up amongst rovers supporters in 95 engrained the importance of this fixture to me as a Burnley fan. We have the ability and quality to win this and should use it.

I wouldn't mind if we got beat at home against Yeovil in the next round, just please not to rovers.

bumba
Been Liked: 681 times
Has Liked: 199 times

Post by bumba » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:19 pm

Dyche will go down in my estimations if we lose this game due to him making too many changes, hopefully he's learn his lesson from the cups these past few seasons an would like to think he'd understand what it meant to the fans seen as 5000 are making the journey
These 2 users liked this post: mybloodisclaret tiger76

Spike
Been Liked: 597 times
Has Liked: 1237 times

Post by Spike » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:22 pm

Humiliation lies ahead for one camp.

just better not be us.

Winning this will keep the fans bouncing for months through the difficult Premier League season.
This user liked this post: mybloodisclaret

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:48 pm

bumba wrote:Dyche will go down in my estimations if we lose this game due to him making too many changes, hopefully he's learn his lesson from the cups these past few seasons an would like to think he'd understand what it meant to the fans seen as 5000 are making the journey
He'll be making a lot of changes. This is his one opportunity to do so and we all knew that before the tickets went on sale. Did he go down in your estimation when we lost at Port Vale or Accrington?

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:57 pm

edlass wrote:I wonder if that has been Dyche's plan for each of these matches. To try and take the rivalry part away from the players before hand so it really is just like another match to them.
I think he's just saying what he believes. That he doesn't think too much of the rivalry at all and it's pretty much just a cup game he wants to win.

bumba

Post by bumba » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:59 pm

ClaretTony wrote:He'll be making a lot of changes. This is his one opportunity to do so and we all knew that before the tickets went on sale. Did he go down in your estimation when we lost at Port Vale or Accrington?
Not at all but did 5,000 fans travel to any of them games because they was a local derby?
It isn't about being in the cup I couldn't care less about the cup, its about winning a derby game.
If we dont play them for another 30 years after this an they've won its all we will hear about, its local pride!
Sorry but if derby games are now irrelevant because of 'squad game time' then footballs more doomed than I thought.
Pre season friendlies are for game time I hope the club gets fined for fielding a weakened 11 like every club should.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6950 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:01 pm

Dyche's reaction after our victory at Ewood in the promotion season suggests that he thinks quite a lot of the rivalry.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2829 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:04 pm

Anyone who thinks that defeat tonight would be a humiliation for us needs to get a grip of themselves. The correct response to any a
Blackburn fan tomorrow would be "yes, but you beat our reserve team in a competition no one takes particularly seriously unless they're still in it in November".

Every team makes changes for the first round of the League cup and we'll be no different. We've plenty of key players who aren't easily replaced and we can do without them risking injury against some turbo-charged clogger from League One in a relatively two-bit encounter.

bumba

Post by bumba » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:08 pm

Make a few changes but make them the correct changes,
Barnes, Arfield and long coming in wouldn't be bad because theyre aware of the game, Bardsley an Taylor at full back isn't really weakening us.
Just please dont drop Heaton, Mee and Brady.
Personally wouldn't drop vokes either he's in form an played this fixture before.
Defour would be the only one plus the full backs I'd agree with resting the rest I'd be vey wary

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:12 pm

bumba wrote:Not at all but did 5,000 fans travel to any of them games because they was a local derby?
It isn't about being in the cup I couldn't care less about the cup, its about winning a derby game.
If we dont play them for another 30 years after this an they've won its all we will hear about, its local pride!
Sorry but if derby games are now irrelevant because of 'squad game time' then footballs more doomed than I thought.
Pre season friendlies are for game time I hope the club gets fined for fielding a weakened 11 like every club should.
The competition is used for giving players game time. That's what it's about now. In last night's 19 games teams made 274 changes from their weekend starting line ups. We know what we are going to do no matter who we play. We had a derby last year and made 10 changes, tonight I'm expecting us to make 8 changes from the team that started against Chelsea & West Brom.

My priority is for our manager to do what's right for our team for the season and, should the worst come to the worst, we'll hear far more than that for the next 30 years.

bumba

Post by bumba » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:20 pm

Are you seriously comparing the Burnley v Blackburn rivalry to Burnley v Accrington?

How would making wholesale changes tonight affect our season? We've one game then international break for two weeks.
They can play games behind closed doors, tonights about winning. Any other team in the cup I wouldn't care
This user liked this post: tiger76

iluva64
Been Liked: 189 times
Has Liked: 130 times

Post by iluva64 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:38 pm

I have noticed Rovers next three games are Milton Keynes, Fleetwood and Rochdale... with three players out injured Dack,Wharton and Nyambe they too will have one eye on the league too - 3 games so far with 3 points.

Notice we have a common number thread there with 3-3-3

Thats half way to Hell

criminalclaret
Been Liked: 178 times
Has Liked: 71 times

Post by criminalclaret » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:38 pm

Derby game = strongest squad possible, well it should anyway. It's pretty much the only game (or two if you are playing it in the league) where your playing it for the fans and bragging rights.

Granted I don't mind lads who are normally subs getting a starting line up, but I don't want to see 8 development lads wet behind the ears get walked over in a derby. It would be dispresctful to the fans who want a win at all cost.

Accy wasn't a derby in my eyes, more a a novelty (and before anyone asked I still would have said that even if we had won)