Nahki Wells

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Papabendi
Been Liked: 347 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Re: Nahki Wells

Post by Papabendi » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:15 pm

claretspice wrote:The touchstone for a decent summer is to end it with a stronger first eleven AND a stronger squad than we started with.

At present, thats not the case - Cork improves the first eleven, Wood may or may not do so but is in a battle for his place with Vokes, and everyone else signed is currently padding out the squad - and so far as anyone can tell based on his record, Wells doesn't change that. The fact that Arfield, Heaton and others vastly exceeded expectations is no guarantee that we'll do so every time and besides, with our financial position we ought to be well beyond the point where we need to pull rabbits out of the hat in the transfer market. Wells isnt young enough to be an investment and both the fact he's missed a big chunk of pre season and has a variable record in the lower divisions suggests he's not going to have an immediate starting impact. The fact the fee might not be 10 million is a pyhric victory when he's unlikely to be a player who immediately improves the first eleven.

There's still 30 hours left in the window, so still time to bring in a couple of players who do improve the first team. But we're moving closer to the point of reckoning and it's hard to be confident that we're going to be able to view the window as a net success.
I think whether we have improved the first 11 or not comes over the course of the season to be fair. Dyche isnt going to sign players and give them all immediate starts just not how we work

AGENT_CLARET
Been Liked: 1154 times
Has Liked: 1053 times

Post by AGENT_CLARET » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:15 pm

Jimscho wrote:We have wages and bills to pay and we got £31/32m not £50m.
Even with all the sell on fees we had to pay after selling players for 50+ million it's nearer 40 than 32 million

claretspice
Been Liked: 2829 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:17 pm

martin_p wrote:Surely the only reliable measure of whether the first eleven is better or not is results. on that basis it's better than it was last season.
We are 3 games into the season. This time last season i think Hull were top.

I don't think anyone would seriously look at our team now and suggest its a better team than the best we could put out in May. Weve nowhere near the same pace and athleticism for a start.

It has not been an ambitious summer, despite the promise of Cork's signing, and as AG rightly says, weve utterly failed to expand the talent pool we look to.

AGENT_CLARET
Been Liked: 1154 times
Has Liked: 1053 times

Post by AGENT_CLARET » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:17 pm

DCWat wrote:About the price of Wells?
Spot on AVERAGE

jojomk1
Been Liked: 842 times
Has Liked: 577 times

Post by jojomk1 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:18 pm

Of our current crop of strikers, he is no better than any of them
If we lost one of our existing 4, at his expense, that would be a mistake - and we certainly don't need 5
Unless one of them can play CB :D
Really can't fathom any logic to this move

At the same time no news on any CB and, regards pace on the right, Musa now looks to be going to Hull

A decent start to the window is now looking to end in a bit of a shambles
This user liked this post: tiger76

MRG
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 154 times

Post by MRG » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:18 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Not so - Taylor was always our number one target for left back. We tried very hard to sign him a year ago.

Not true, Robertson was absolutely our number 1 left back target this summer regardless of what happened the previous summer

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:18 pm

TsarBomba wrote:Nobody has anything against Wells, and we all hope he does well, but he quite clearly has never been our first choice, and when we have spent weeks chasing other targets, this signing smacks of a return to 2014/15, and desperation.
We were first linked with Wells in June, so it isn't that clear that has never been our first choice.

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:18 pm

Papabendi wrote:I think whether we have improved the first 11 or not comes over the course of the season to be fair. Dyche isnt going to sign players and give them all immediate starts just not how we work
How quickly did Defour and Hendrick go into the team last summer, or Gray the year before?

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2416 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:19 pm

I have no real gripes either way with Nahki Wells. If anyone can get the best out of an unwanted player, it is Sean Dyche.

As for our wage bill this time around. Fully Justified on the basis of keeping us in the Premier League, or is that the "Barclays Premier League"? ;)

Jimscho
Been Liked: 404 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by Jimscho » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:20 pm

DCWat wrote:We've also not paid out the headline figures - works both ways so it's still a valid point.
I never mentioned what we have paid out for players but most on here when quoting what we have received for players quote £50m which at this moment in time is strictly not true.It could rise to about 42/3m depending on add ons.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2004 times
Has Liked: 3336 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:22 pm

Jimscho wrote:I have to disagree with you on the strength of the squad.I think the players brought in are better than those that have left,apart from Keane.Not to sorry to lose Gray,don't think he wanted to be here.Boyd I liked but he was better protecting the defence than attacking.Thought Darikwa was out of his depth in Prem.Think Taylor,Bardsley,Walters are better back up squad players and Cork and Wood willl be good signings.I do think we need another CB as it could be a problem with an injury.
I totally agree Jimscho. But the signing of Wells leaves me seriously underwhelmed as it falls into the panic buy, quantity over quality bracket to me. However, as someone posted above, I really do hope I'm one of those proved wrong and have to eat my words at some point down the line.

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:23 pm

Jimscho wrote:I have to disagree with you on the strength of the squad.I think the players brought in are better than those that have left,apart from Keane.Not to sorry to lose Gray,don't think he wanted to be here.Boyd I liked but he was better protecting the defence than attacking.Thought Darikwa was out of his depth in Prem.Think Taylor,Bardsley,Walters are better back up squad players and Cork and Wood willl be good signings.I do think we need another CB as it could be a problem with an injury.
I would agree weve strengthened the squad - save at centre back where we're walking a tight rope. Elsewhere, there's plenty of padding there now.

But i said the test was to strengthen both squad and first eleven. And the first eleven is now weaker. Even if you accept Gray for Wood is a straight swap, Cork does not entirely offset the fact Tarks isnt in the same class as Keane, and across the board weve lost our two quickest players from last season and failed to replace that pace.

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1739 times
Has Liked: 271 times

Post by agreenwood » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:23 pm

Just done a bit of googling.

It looks like Wells played in Huddersfield's first preseason friendly on 12 July and hasn't played since. He has surgery at the beginning of this month and the local papers were reporting a 6-8 week spell before he could resume training.

So, if he comes back into training mid-September at the earliest and then has to undergo a Joey Barton-esque mini-preseason, we might start to see him on the bench in late October, early November? Then he needs to integrate into "the group" and "the framework".

It really does beg the question, why bother this window?

He'll probably have little impact this side of Christmas anyway.
Last edited by agreenwood on Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jimscho

Post by Jimscho » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:23 pm

claretspice wrote:We are 3 games into the season. This time last season i think Hull were top.

I don't think anyone would seriously look at our team now and suggest its a better team than the best we could put out in May. Weve nowhere near the same pace and athleticism for a start.

It has not been an ambitious summer, despite the promise of Cork's signing, and as AG rightly says, weve utterly failed to expand the talent pool we look to.
Apart from Keane leaving who leaving has seriously weakened our team?

MDWat
Been Liked: 878 times
Has Liked: 271 times

Post by MDWat » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:25 pm

This isn't a good signing and Spice is spot on. The chairman said we'd be stronger after this window. We are not stronger in either starting eleven or squad.

Wells isn't especially quick and he's a lower league footballer. I saw plenty of him at Bradford and he's nowhere near good enough for this level of football.

We need a centre half as a minimum and probably a winger too. I understood the Bardsley and Walters signings and I'm really pleased with the others (bit sceptical of Wood signing but see the logic) but this one smacks of cheap option. Not pleased.

Let's hope we press on with the much needed centre half and try get a winger too.

Also, Baldwin didn't bring Wells over. He was playing for Carlisle before he got anywhere near Bradford City!
These 2 users liked this post: DCWat tiger76

Marlonspants
Been Liked: 125 times
Has Liked: 53 times

Post by Marlonspants » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:27 pm

Wood x2 Wells x2 Vokes X1.

Burnley 5 Leeds United 0.

September 2017.

Taylor x5 assists.
Last edited by Marlonspants on Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:27 pm

Jimscho wrote:Apart from Keane leaving who leaving has seriously weakened our team?
That's a pretty significant "apart from". And we've gone from being a team with real pace both up front and on defence to being a team with none anywhere on the pitch.

Inchy
Been Liked: 1333 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Inchy » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:28 pm

I agree with claretspice.

We may do better than last season but that might be more to do with tactics and experience. Even if we do better than last season how much better would we had done if we had improved the squad that ended last season?

cblantfanclub
Been Liked: 118 times
Has Liked: 306 times

Post by cblantfanclub » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:36 pm

Not sure how we were supposed to improve on Keane.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1882 times
Has Liked: 840 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:36 pm

Inchy wrote:I agree with claretspice.

We may do better than last season but that might be more to do with tactics and experience. Even if we do better than last season how much better would we had done if we had improved the squad that ended last season?
So if we do better than last season it has nothing to do with the players but more the tactics and experience?? What exactly are you expecting us to do this season? I'll be delighted if we match or improve on last season!

Jimscho

Post by Jimscho » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:37 pm

AGENT_CLARET wrote:Even with all the sell on fees we had to pay after selling players for 50+ million it's nearer 40 than 32 million
Not till we receive the addons which are not guaranteed is it £42m.At the moment it is £31/2m

Inchy

Post by Inchy » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:37 pm

So will I. The player might improve with experience and therefore we might do better than last year. We might do even better if we improve on the squad that ended last season

This is obviously hypothetical. If we do the same as last season I will be happy but since I expected us to improve our squad based on a Mike Garlick interview I am wondering why haven't we done that
Last edited by Inchy on Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jimscho

Post by Jimscho » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:39 pm

claretspice wrote:That's a pretty significant "apart from". And we've gone from being a team with real pace both up front and on defence to being a team with none anywhere on the pitch.
Have we not played well with our tortoises up to now.I think we have.

dermotdermot
Been Liked: 660 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by dermotdermot » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:39 pm

So many negative posts on this thread. We have Brady suddenly playing out of his skin. The same with Cork. Wood looks a fine acquisition. Taylor looks a fine player to have in the wings if not starting. Steady experienced backup in Walters and Bardsley. We have depth throughout the team. An extra centre half would be an asset but, apart from that, we don't really need any more players. Think of anyone else as a bonus. The future looks more than rosey just as long as a certain individual remains at the helm.
Last edited by dermotdermot on Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
This user liked this post: Jimscho

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:39 pm

Blyclaret wrote:Wouldent be surprised if he's back in the frame
Maybe two years ago
Is he good enough for the premier league
I was very impressed whenever I saw him up to a couple of years back on the box but not seen him play since in the Trampionship, untried at our level and don't know if SD rates him.

If he does then let's see.

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:41 pm

cblantfanclub wrote:Not sure how we were supposed to improve on Keane.
We were always going to be weaker at centre half, although having the same depth in that position ought to be there minimum requirement. But with an uplift in quality in other positions we could have more than offset that weakness. Thats the gripe. We needed to replace the pace of Keane and Gray whilst upgrading our attacking options out wide. And it doesn't appear we have, yet.

Dark Cloud

Post by Dark Cloud » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:42 pm

dermotdermot wrote:So many negative posts on this thread. We have Brady suddenly playing out of his skin. The same with Cork. Wood looks a fine acquisition. Taylor looks a fine player to have in the wings if not starting. Steady experienced backup in Walters and Bardsley.
Absolutely agree 100%....er and then there's Wells. And quite what he adds nobody seems to know, but on the surface it ain't much.

Blyclaret
Been Liked: 208 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by Blyclaret » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:43 pm

Over 500 posts and most of them critical
I just hope ye are all big enough to eat humble pie
And come on here and say Ye were wrong when he scores his first goal for Burnley.
Give the lad a break ffs
This user liked this post: snapcrackleandpop

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:43 pm

Jimscho wrote:Have we not played well with our tortoises up to now.I think we have.
Weve done fine - as Hull had at this time last season. So now was the time to kick on. Weve not done it.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11034 times
Has Liked: 5645 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:43 pm

LoveCurryPies wrote:Welcome to Burnley! I hope the lad makes a few people eat their words.
I hope he is prolific and rams my words down my throat and makes me never question our scouting and manager again
This user liked this post: DCWat

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3800 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:44 pm

dermotdermot wrote:So many negative posts on this thread. We have Brady suddenly playing out of his skin. The same with Cork. Wood looks a fine acquisition. Taylor looks a fine player to have in the wings if not starting. Steady experienced backup in Walters and Bardsley. We have depth throughout the team. An extra centre half would be an asset but, apart from that, we don't really need any more players. Think if anyone else as a bonus. The future looks more than rosey just as long as a certain individual remains at the helm.
Exactly so lets really kick on, sign one or two first 11 players to add to the ones you mentioned and we'll be even better.

cblantfanclub
Been Liked: 118 times
Has Liked: 306 times

Post by cblantfanclub » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:46 pm

claretspice wrote:That's a pretty significant "apart from". And we've gone from being a team with real pace both up front and on defence to being a team with none anywhere on the pitch.

First time I've read that we were a team with real pace. I read post after post last year about how we had none and how slow Boyd / Arfield was - or infact add any name except Gray. Usually followed by statements about how we must sign a pacy this or that. Are you trying to re write history?

EarbyClaret
Been Liked: 499 times

Post by EarbyClaret » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:47 pm

We'll probably do better this season because the manager/staff and the players have a PL survival campaign under their belt and they are better at what they were doing 12 months ago.

Gray came straight into the starting 11 of a Championship team, Defour and Hendrick straight into a team which had just been promoted. It's a very different situation now, building on last year's success - retaining the better elements and improving on or changing the things that didn't work so well.

Plenty of encouraging signs in that direction so far - a switch to 4-5-1, better retention and use of the ball and a more positive approach away from home.

Of course we can't replace Keane like-for-like, he's an England international CB. We need a decent player in there who's going to improve and grow into the role. That might be Tarkowski. Sean seems to think he's capable. He'll learn from playing alongside Mee and the change of formation will give good protection in fromnt of him. We do need extra cover there it's the one essential deal we need to complete tomorrow.

Inchy

Post by Inchy » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:47 pm

Gray has a lot more pace than Wells

Marlonspants
Been Liked: 125 times
Has Liked: 53 times

Post by Marlonspants » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:47 pm

We have a first 11 that won at Chelsea and drew with Spurs! Both away!

What is it that people actually want?

Reecey1987
Been Liked: 217 times

Post by Reecey1987 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:47 pm

Chris boden says he expects a quiet day tomorrow . I think wells will be our only signing

Reecey1987
Been Liked: 217 times

Post by Reecey1987 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:48 pm

Inchy wrote:Gray has a lot more pace than Wells
Grays wage is probably double wells if not more

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11034 times
Has Liked: 5645 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:48 pm

Marlonspants wrote:We have a first 11 that won at Chelsea and drew with Spurs! Both away!

What is it that people actually want?
Someone who can change a game when we aren't doing well. Nakhi Wells :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 977 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by kentonclaret » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:49 pm

Well, well, well a quiet day tomorrow it is then. :lol:

Inchy

Post by Inchy » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:49 pm

Reecey1987 wrote:Grays wage is probably double wells if not more

So you agree we still need pace upfront?

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:50 pm

I'm not massively impressed with this one but some of the criticism of our other business is unfair.

Other than at centre half, for me we have a better all round squad than last season. We have much more strength in depth and some of last seasons additions seem to be finding their feet.

If we sign Wells, so be it, it's not exciting but nor is it the end of the world. I would however like a centre half and a winger also as those are the two priority positions for me. Maybe we will sneak a last minute loan when the bigger clubs know what their finished business is.

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:50 pm

Reecey1987 wrote:Chris boden says he expects a quiet day tomorrow . I think wells will be our only signing
Didn't he say yesterday there was nothing in the link to Wells?

Wokingclaret
Been Liked: 297 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Wokingclaret » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:51 pm

Reecey1987 wrote:Chris boden says he expects a quiet day tomorrow . I think wells will be our only signing
Hmmmm,,,,snore

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:51 pm

cblantfanclub wrote:First time I've read that we were a team with real pace. I read post after post last year about how we had none and how slow Boyd / Arfield was - or infact add any name except Gray. Usually followed by statements about how we must sign a pacy this or that. Are you trying to re write history?
Gray had real pace. Keane had real pace. Irrelevant of what you read on here, those two statements are facts.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3153 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:51 pm

could it be that with the window closing edging ever nearer that we are lining up deals for plan A, plan B and possibly plan C and we will close the one we can in that order, the problem here is that sources at the selling clubs are putting it out into the public sphere in a bid to up the interest/price as they may be aware of the scenario too

This thesis is postulated on the fact that we have agreed prices for two players who effectively do the same thing with a perceived (from a distance) difference in quality

http://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/20 ... eed-waris/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/s ... o_Burnley/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dark Cloud

Post by Dark Cloud » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:52 pm

Blyclaret wrote:Over 500 posts and most of them critical
I just hope ye are all big enough to eat humble pie
And come on here and say Ye were wrong when he scores his first goal for Burnley.
Give the lad a break ffs
I'd love absolutely love to and definitely will IF it ever becomes necessary.

ExistentialWanderer
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by ExistentialWanderer » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:53 pm

claretspice wrote:We were always going to be weaker at centre half, although having the same depth in that position ought to be there minimum requirement. But with an uplift in quality in other positions we could have more than offset that weakness. Thats the gripe. We needed to replace the pace of Keane and Gray whilst upgrading our attacking options out wide. And it doesn't appear we have, yet.
It's rare I disagree with you. Generally I find you're quite knowledgeable. I don't think we've so much replaced Gray with Wood. Gray, for whatever qualities he did have, was pretty one dimensional. Wood seems more mobile and I have seen him play for Leeds and he has pace, height and strength. Wood offers so much more and with the way we play, Gray's limited talents were rarely used to our advantage. I think we're stronger as a unit than last season with the obvious loss of Keane my only concern. Who definitely needs replacing.

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:53 pm

claretspice wrote:Gray had real pace. Keane had real pace. Irrelevant of what you read on here, those two statements are facts.
Doesn't Wells have pace?

dermotdermot
Been Liked: 660 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by dermotdermot » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:53 pm

dermotdermot wrote:So many negative posts on this thread. We have Brady suddenly playing out of his skin. The same with Cork. Wood looks a fine acquisition. Taylor looks a fine player to have in the wings if not starting. Steady experienced backup in Walters and Bardsley. We have depth throughout the team. An extra centre half would be an asset but, apart from that, we don't really need any more players. Think of anyone else as a bonus. The future looks more than rosey just as long as a certain individual remains at the helm.
As regarding Wells, just think how stupid that bloke who made a video rant against the Wood signing looks now.

Wokingclaret
Been Liked: 297 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Wokingclaret » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:53 pm

Bad injury to Brady or Mee and we're in trouble.
This user liked this post: KefkaClaret