Milan advice required

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Walton
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 242 times

Milan advice required

Post by Walton » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:34 am

Morning Clarets

Me and our lass are looking to go to Milan in the first week of November, but just wanted to double check that it's a good place to be taking a 6 month old baby and a 13 year old daughter.

With it being a city, we assume there'll be plenty of things to do, but wanted to get opinions in the same way as the excellent Krakow and Croatia threads recently.

Food, museums, kids activities (well, 13yo girl friendly) etc info required, and also which piazzas you recommend for doing a James Richardson in.

If you reckon we shouldn't bother, we'll go to Madrid instead.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Re: Milan advice required

Post by Blackrod » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:42 am

I'm sure Cricketfieldclarets will be along soon. He's a well travelled man.

UpTheBeehole
Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 496 times

Post by UpTheBeehole » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:48 am

Walton wrote:Morning Clarets

Me and our lass are looking to go to Milan in the first week of November, but just wanted to double check that it's a good place to be taking a 6 month old baby and a 13 year old daughter.

With it being a city, we assume there'll be plenty of things to do, but wanted to get opinions in the same way as the excellent Krakow and Croatia threads recently.

Food, museums, kids activities (well, 13yo girl friendly) etc info required, and also which piazzas you recommend for doing a James Richardson in.

Go up to Lake Como

diamondpocket
Been Liked: 254 times
Has Liked: 215 times

Post by diamondpocket » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:04 am

I'd go to Madrid although I've never been. Milan isn't that great a city to visit in my eyes; not that pretty for Italian standards and not that much to do apart from San Siro and a game, Last Supper (but book well in advance) and the Duomo/central cathedral, and the shopping areas close by. There are a few art museums that have good temporary exhibitions on but I'd do some research and find out beforehand. Plus, it's a big place and a not so nice underground system, dirty and old.For a couple of days you might have enough with doing the above and a swanning around with your glasses on drinking Aperol Spritz, apertifs and dinner but I'd look elsewhere in Italy. Turin is interesting with kids, great cinema museum and the biggest Egyptian museum outside of Egypt; Juve or Torino for a game and much more compact as a city.Or Florence is a great weekend place; small city, easily done in a couple of days; lots of museums & close by is Vinci, the town where Leonardo was born with a museum, his house, etc. if you & the family are into Science.

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1774 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:13 am

You need forzagranata on this one, as he lived in Milan for a few years....

MRG
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 154 times

Post by MRG » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:27 am

I visited Milan last year and was very underwhelmed. It is my least favourite place to visit in Europe.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:56 am

Blackrod wrote:I'm sure Cricketfieldclarets will be along soon. He's a well travelled man.
I havent done Milan yet. Due to go for a Saturday, Sunday trip in October for the derby. My brother went last year and loved the city and the football.

From what I do know (mates in Milan and brother visiting) its a proper, working city with a different feel to other Italian cities. But as with any city plenty to see and do. Obviously its probably most well known for its football. We are taking my nephew on the weekend visit but that will be to take the football in rather than much else.

Can't say not to go, but for what you are looking for and who you are going with would definitely recommend Barcelona from experience.

diamondpocket

Post by diamondpocket » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:24 pm

what are you and the family into? What interests does your 13 year old daughter have?

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:06 pm

Ristorante Pizzeria Maruzzella

Best pizza I've ever eaten for 7€, great value restaurant. Big on wine too

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:53 pm

nice city, but as per usual blighted by thieving **** pickpockets and bag snatchers.

They should print a league table of stealing from tourists in Italy, bloody disgraceful .

Leightonslaces
Been Liked: 6 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by Leightonslaces » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:11 pm

Cracking brothel in Milan one off the best I've been in. Will get back to you with the name
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:16 pm

Leightonslaces wrote:Cracking brothel in Milan one off the best I've been in. Will get back to you with the name
:lol: :lol: :lol:

DavidFishwicksDad

Post by DavidFishwicksDad » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:18 pm

His that the one just of the Main Street be carefull

Leightonslaces

Post by Leightonslaces » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:36 pm

Its up with the ones I've visited in Thailand

DavidFishwicksDad

Post by DavidFishwicksDad » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:44 pm

You sound like you spend money for fun if u no what I meant

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2018 times
Has Liked: 2914 times

Post by elwaclaret » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:45 pm

I'm surprised that a few have said they're not impressed with Milan, I loved it. I suppose it depends what you're looking for. For me good eating, good weather and relaxing with the sites... and no one does relaxing better than the Italians

TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:52 pm

Not really a tourist type city - exception being if you are going for the football.

If you are looking for things to do and see then Florence, Venice, Rome etc are much better for the family.

Leightonslaces

Post by Leightonslaces » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:59 pm

Naples is my favourite city in Italy. The locals are very accommodating

HatfieldClaret
Been Liked: 605 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by HatfieldClaret » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:01 pm

A pal went in the summer. A/C couldn't cope with the heat. Problems with water supplies as well as power cuts. He loves city breaks and hated it.

Lake Como comes very highly recommended.

Agree Florence and Rome are excellent.
Last edited by HatfieldClaret on Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LawsCanalJump
Been Liked: 119 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Post by LawsCanalJump » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:02 pm

If you go you must visit Birrificio Lambrate, great beers

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:03 pm

Romes good but you get hassled worse than egypt.

Alanstevensonsgloves
Been Liked: 343 times
Has Liked: 400 times

Post by Alanstevensonsgloves » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:09 pm

Never buy a football club off him.

DavidFishwicksDad

Post by DavidFishwicksDad » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:12 pm

But don't forget egypt wasant built in a day

TheOriginalLongsider
Been Liked: 426 times
Has Liked: 219 times

Post by TheOriginalLongsider » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:34 pm

Milan is okay. It has some nice places but there are nicer places to go. Around the Duomo (cathedral) is a bit of a tourist trap. You can do a tour of San siro but check the dates. Lake combo is not too far by train. If you're looking for a few days somewhere, try Budapest, Dubrovnik, Barcelona, Rome, Nice. I also like Poland- cheap and interesting.

iw1961
Been Liked: 14 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by iw1961 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:09 pm

Hi
Been to Milan numerous times. Not so sure it is 13 year old friendly. As mentioned above Duomo and surrounding areas are OK but you do get hassled at times by hawkers.
Personally I would wait until next spring then head off to Verona. Stay somewhere like Bella Italian at Pesciera then all the family is happy. Garda land and Movie land close by (theme parks). Verona 30 min on the bus. If you are lucky you could take in Hellas or Chievo game - both Serie A. Been over to see Chievo a few times and love Verona dearly. Lots of culture but still family friendly. Can give you loads of info if you need.

Caballo
Been Liked: 421 times
Has Liked: 433 times

Post by Caballo » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:09 pm

Leightonslaces wrote:Naples is my favourite city in Italy. The locals are very accommodating
Given you're rating cities by brothel quality earlier in the thread, I can see why Naples may be on your radar. For me it's the biggest 5hithole in Italy you genuinely are the 1st person I've heard rate it.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:14 pm

Caballo wrote:Given you're rating cities by brothel quality earlier in the thread, I can see why Naples may be on your radar. For me it's the biggest 5hithole in Italy you genuinely are the 1st person I've heard rate it.
My Italian mates described Burnley as The Naples of England :D :D :D

Leightonslaces

Post by Leightonslaces » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:22 pm

Caballo wrote:Given you're rating cities by brothel quality earlier in the thread, I can see why Naples may be on your radar. For me it's the biggest 5hithole in Italy you genuinely are the 1st person I've heard rate it.

When I go away I like to take in local culture. Part off the culture I enjoy is visiting the local brothels

diamondpocket

Post by diamondpocket » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:16 am

iw1961 wrote:Hi
Been to Milan numerous times. Not so sure it is 13 year old friendly. As mentioned above Duomo and surrounding areas are OK but you do get hassled at times by hawkers.
Personally I would wait until next spring then head off to Verona. Stay somewhere like Bella Italian at Pesciera then all the family is happy. Garda land and Movie land close by (theme parks). Verona 30 min on the bus. If you are lucky you could take in Hellas or Chievo game - both Serie A. Been over to see Chievo a few times and love Verona dearly. Lots of culture but still family friendly. Can give you loads of info if you need.
Sound advice there, Verona is a great place and all easily walkable. Plus, at certain times of the year there are Shakespeare events/theatre in English, Romeo & Juliet stuff and the stunning Roman ampitheatre to admire; oh, and various wine festivals and events in October

Leightonslaces

Post by Leightonslaces » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:25 am

How's Verona for brothels? Might add it to my list

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2176 times
Has Liked: 3110 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:26 am

Leightonslaces wrote:How's Verona for brothels? Might add it to my list
Pompei was legendary back in the day.... not seen any recent reviews, mind
This user liked this post: Caballo

Walton
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 242 times

Post by Walton » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:04 am

Cheers everyone. I did have reservations anyway, a lot of what has been said already was in my head, but there have been some good positive suggestions also.

The main driver was that flights are cheap as chips (as in £37 return) so we may just do it anyway, and perhaps take a trip out to Lake Como for a day/night.

On the flipside, it'd be my other half's first trip to Italy, so I don't know whether to save it and go to one of the classically beautiful cities like Florence, as suggested, another time.

Regarding the questions as to what we're interested in; for me it'd be the food and the architecture, for the other half it'd be the food and the Italian culture, and for my daughter it'd be the shopping.

We all love Spain and have been many times to various places, so just fancied something a little different in possibly going to what I imagined could be Italy's Manchester.

It may well be however that we spend a slight bit more (and I mean a slight bit, that's how close it is), and just revert to type and go to Barcelona or Madrid.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:17 am

Walton wrote:Cheers everyone. I did have reservations anyway, a lot of what has been said already was in my head, but there have been some good positive suggestions also.

The main driver was that flights are cheap as chips (as in £37 return) so we may just do it anyway, and perhaps take a trip out to Lake Como for a day/night.

On the flipside, it'd be my other half's first trip to Italy, so I don't know whether to save it and go to one of the classically beautiful cities like Florence, as suggested, another time.

Regarding the questions as to what we're interested in; for me it'd be the food and the architecture, for the other half it'd be the food and the Italian culture, and for my daughter it'd be the shopping.

We all love Spain and have been many times to various places, so just fancied something a little different in possibly going to what I imagined could be Italy's Manchester.

It may well be however that we spend a slight bit more (and I mean a slight bit, that's how close it is), and just revert to type and go to Barcelona or Madrid.
You never know before you go. So I would say go for it. If it doesnt work out you can try elsewhere in the future.

Presuming you are flying to Bergamo? That being the case you are just as close to Verona so maybe look at that?

Rome was my mrs' first trip to italy and she loved it. Weather was intensely hot though and you do get pestered. So I imagine Milan is more relaxing in both senses.

Milan is a major city so I would be surprised if there isnt something for everyone.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32572 times
Has Liked: 5285 times

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:18 am

Only had a few hours in Milan some years ago but there was plenty of pestering. Verona I liked.

dermotdermot
Been Liked: 660 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by dermotdermot » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:02 pm

Nice railway station.

diamondpocket

Post by diamondpocket » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:14 pm

Walton wrote:Cheers everyone. I did have reservations anyway, a lot of what has been said already was in my head, but there have been some good positive suggestions also.

From what you say then you'll find everything in Milan; food places you shouldn't have a problem finding good stuff, ask the locals where you're staying for advice; it isn't the most beautiful of cities architecturally but there's enough around with the castle, squares, cathedral, train station is amazing as just mentioned; for shopping you'll never go wrong. It's a place to be cool and look cool is Milan and has a great social life, people out and about after work in bars drinking, chatting, posing, etc. A bit pricey for Italian standards but you've saved on flights; go for it. You might be able to get a game in at San siro as well.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1820 times
Has Liked: 1802 times

Post by dougcollins » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:22 pm

Always found Milan a bit 'cold' to be honest, people a bit up themselves, not typically Italian.
Go to Rome.

Or as CT says, Verona is arguably the best looking Italian city (yes, I've been to Florence).

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:34 pm

Well I'm the second.

Naples is awesome. Best food in Italy. Beautiful hill side city off the coast line, the views out to the bay are amazing. The surrounding areas are absolutely stunning too (Amalfi coast, Capri, Ischia, Pompei).

Okay there's some dodgy areas (very dodgy) but that's the same for most cities. The Camorra has caused the city no end of problems over the years.

The majority of the locals are incredibly welcoming - more so than most of the Northern cities I've found.
These 2 users liked this post: dougcollins cricketfieldclarets

dougcollins

Post by dougcollins » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:46 pm

Naples is my favourite Italian city.
No competition.

Leightonslaces

Post by Leightonslaces » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:50 pm

Good to see like minded clarets on here who enjoy the finer things in life

UpTheClaretsFCBK
Been Liked: 372 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Post by UpTheClaretsFCBK » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:51 pm

Milan is the Manchester of Italy. Very nice in the centre but essentially very rough around the edges once you're out of the Centre.

dougcollins

Post by dougcollins » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:52 pm

That's any city anywhere tbh.

Leightonslaces

Post by Leightonslaces » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:54 pm

Palermo is lovely to if anyone down the South ever fancies a boat trip

ten bellies
Been Liked: 237 times
Has Liked: 1283 times

Post by ten bellies » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:30 pm

I visited Sorrento, Florence, and Bologna this summer. All three were great places to visit. It is a beautiful, interesting and warm country.

UpTheClaretsFCBK
Been Liked: 372 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Post by UpTheClaretsFCBK » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:57 pm

dougcollins wrote:That's any city anywhere tbh.
Staying in the decent parts of Milan costs an absolute fortune. I stayed close to the San Siro which is pretty rough. Not imtimadating, but delapatated.

I've been to much nicer cities, Lisbon and Amsterdam.

My trips to Milan are for the famous Nerazzurri with my father, but I don't think I'd take my children (If I had any).