Not born in Burnley never lived in Burnley but still a Claret?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Spike
Been Liked: 594 times
Has Liked: 1225 times

Re: Not born in Burnley never lived in Burnley but still a Claret?

Post by Spike » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:21 pm

Born in Blackburn and this is the answer that always pees the Barstewards off - I support Burnley because I am lucky
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

Jeffbfc
Been Liked: 443 times
Has Liked: 260 times

Post by Jeffbfc » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:31 pm

Whitworth.
Dad took me up in 74 75 ish.
A lot of Clarets in Whitworth also, so was the thing to do.
UTC

Inchy
Been Liked: 1332 times
Has Liked: 95 times

Post by Inchy » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:32 pm

I'm Burnley born and bred (minus a few years in Whalley) but my son was born in Leeds.

Here what he says

"I was born in Leeds but my dad forced me to watch Burnley on tv before I can remember. Not been to a match yet but cannot wait. Even though my mum and grandad are Huddersfield fans I will never support them despite all the crap merchandise my mom and grandad keep buying me. My burnley grandad has just bought me the new Burnley kit with my name 'Harry' and age '1' on the back"
These 6 users liked this post: spadesclaret Buxtonclaret Juan Tanamera JohnMac Anonymous Healeywoodclaret

davemanu2000
Been Liked: 1145 times
Has Liked: 99 times

Post by davemanu2000 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:33 pm

My real name is Bhurdwaz Mungur . I have always lived in Mauritius and still I am a great fan of mighty Burnley since 1954 when Burnley played a series of matches in this island Twice I have visited the town and even watched a match a Turf Moor .
These 18 users liked this post: Belial jordsclarets Dawlishclaret dougcollins Buxtonclaret Juan Tanamera HunterST_BFC Claretforshaw Jel Lord Beamish quoonbeatz Colburn_Claret Rowls Rumbletonk JohnMac COBBLE Clarets4me ontario claret

Belial
Been Liked: 381 times
Has Liked: 320 times

Post by Belial » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:34 pm

What an ace thread. Randomly, I have a guy added me on Instagram recently from Korea because I 'liked' one of his pictures of Burnley. It looks like from his pictures that he started following us recently. Whilst the PL lacks a lot of elements of watching us in the lower divisions and there's plenty on here that don't like the commercial aspect, the plastic seats, plastic fans, sky money, player egos etc., it's great that we are getting people from all over the globe tuning into us and following us. It can only be good for us in the long run. UTC!

Belial
Been Liked: 381 times
Has Liked: 320 times

Post by Belial » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:41 pm

AshevilleNCClaret wrote:I grew up outside of Cleveland. Can't stand the Steelers.
I also can't stand Michigan.
Now in North Carolina, its Duke and UNC which I can't stand

Its actually funny though, because I believe I have gone "Full Claret" with my hatred of Blackburn.
Hatred might be too strong of a word, but I'm certainly taking a small satisfaction on their recent demise these last few years.
Can I expect that even watching Southend United would be better than watching the Browns for... (how many) years!? I'm with you though... Big Ben is an ass. Same with Brady. Stick to our Brady and you'll be reet ;)

Sutton-Claret
Been Liked: 378 times
Has Liked: 164 times

Post by Sutton-Claret » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:41 pm

I did some design work for a company based down in Worthing. The Technical Director was a Claret - I asked him why he was a Claret since he had a very southern accent. He said he'd been a supporter since the early 70's - he was originally a Arsenal fan. He went to see Arsenal v Burnley one year as a teenager and waited outside the ground to get autographs after the game - he was snubbed by every Arsenal player but managed to get autographs from all the Burnley players who were also very friendly to him despite him wearing a gooners shirt.

That's one of my favourite stories and I've often recited it to any Londoner I may come across whilst on work duties....
These 4 users liked this post: CHEWBACCA Juan Tanamera Colburn_Claret COBBLE

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32239 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:52 pm

What a superb thread with some brilliant stories of how we all became Clarets.

I can't add to it I'm afraid. I was brought up a stone's throw from the turnstiles, the eldest son of a committed Burnley supporter (my dad, not my mum) who went to all the home first team and reserve games and a few away games.

When I was considered old enough, and after serving an apprenticeship at reserve games, I was taken to my first league game in October 1960 to stand with my dad and equally committed granddad. My brother and nephew have followed in the same footsteps to continue the family tradition.

My dad is long gone now, he passed away in 1989 during the dark 4th division days. Hope we get a result for him this weekend, tomorrow would have been his 96th birthday.
These 11 users liked this post: CHEWBACCA Jeffbfc Dawlishclaret Juan Tanamera Anonymous tybfc Colburn_Claret Rowls COBBLE Healeywoodclaret Clarets4me

Jeffbfc
Been Liked: 443 times
Has Liked: 260 times

Post by Jeffbfc » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:02 pm

ClaretTony wrote:What a superb thread.
My dad is long gone now, he passed away in 1989 during the dark 4th division days. Hope we get a result for him this weekend, tomorrow would have been his 96th birthday.
CT After the dark days of the 4th division every result is for the Clarets who are no longer with us.
My dad(Also passed) never thought we would be back.
And like you have said a superb thread.
UTC

jordsclarets
Been Liked: 26 times
Has Liked: 286 times

Post by jordsclarets » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:06 pm

Born in Slough, Berkshire with my dad having been born in the Rawtenstall area. I have 2 brothers and my dad never forced Burnley on us but we were aware Burnley was his team. My older brother started going to away games in the south and then started taking me. I remember going to Cambridge, Peterborough and even Dartford when Maidstone played there. Moved to Leeds when I went to Uni and got a season ticket as soon as I stopped playing football. My younger brother is also a season ticket holder and comes up from down south for home games. I have 2 boys born in Leeds but full on Burnley fans and also season ticket holders. We are all very thankful to my dad for us being Burnley fans.
This user liked this post: Sutton-Claret

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:17 pm

It's a great thread because it's quite alien to think for me (who has a very boring story/history) that someone would choose to become a fan of Burnley FC through no real connections to the place.

Born in Burnley (never lived in the town), my Grandmother and Grandfather supported them (as early as the last century), my Father and Uncle supported them and so it goes on... etc.

I feel left out. :)

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:18 pm

Grew up in Rossendale and was taken to Turf Moor from about 5 years old (1963) by my dad and my uncle (sometimes to the reserves which I still found very exciting) They had actually flown to London to watch us in the cup final the year before. I once saw Irvine score 4 in a game and only found out it was just the reserves on the way home in the car! I've only actually lived in Burnley for one year of my life, but it WAS in the very shadow of Turf Moor. I now live in Pendle.

bfcpete
Been Liked: 3 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by bfcpete » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:23 pm

I support Burnley as my dad does and we were both born in Stockport. My grandad is from Burnley lived on celia street. Reckon my dads first game was 1950 ish I first went on in 82 I think

Carnsmerry12
Been Liked: 58 times
Has Liked: 186 times

Post by Carnsmerry12 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:36 pm

Aged 6 watched Burnley lose the cup final Dad and brothers wanted Spurs to win so I chose Burnley. Now aged 62 still a claret fan as are my sons. Born in Hampshire, lived in Essex and now live on Cornwall
These 2 users liked this post: Juan Tanamera Colburn_Claret

claretinkorea
Been Liked: 63 times
Has Liked: 70 times

Post by claretinkorea » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:37 pm

Born in London, never lived further north than Birmingham (haven't even lived in the UK since 2002) but eased into the clarets by my dad (who conincidentally is also not from Burnley - although he is a Lancastrian) around when I was 8 with my first match at home to Aldershot in the old 4th Division.

My granddad on my mum's side was a Chelsea fan and my mum has claimed in the past to support QPR (although I hink she has also become a de facto claret over the years) so it could have turned out very differently... Not to mention the grief I got at school from kids who had never even heard of Burnley (they have now!).

Right now (despite living only a few miles from the ArenA in Amsterdam), it is the Burnley score the kids ask about, not Ajax! :D
This user liked this post: Buxtonclaret

whitnash claret
Been Liked: 28 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by whitnash claret » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:46 pm

I believe the old saying goes something like - "give me a boy of 7 and I'll show you the man". Well I was born and bred in Leamington Spa, Warwickshire. The junior school I went to was in nearby Whitnash and I played for the school team from age 7. Our colours were claret and sky blue shirts, white shorts, and claret and blue hooped socks - identically matching the Clarets in all respects. (I loved those colours then and still do). I was aged 7 when the 1962 cup final was played and that was the first one I ever watched and (sort of) understood. My allegiance from that day was Burnley (as they were in "my" colours - added to which I thought they played better than Spurs - and watching the DVD all these years later I still do). I have stayed a loyal and fervent supporter ever since that day. I only ever really got chance to see the beloved Clarets at away games at Coventry, Wolves, and Birmingham, in the old First Division days - and I played myself in the Cov leagues until 1988 so that prevented me from seeing them much up to then. I did have some time off from playing with an injury in 1981/82 which enabled me to see most of the championship winning team's games from the 0-0 home game with Brentford up to what turned out to be the title winning home draw in the pouring rain against Chesterfield. Good on yer Kevin Young - and I also had a soft spot for an unsung hero David Holt (RIP) at that time. I resumed playing the next year and so wasn't able to get to t'Turf again until 1987 when I had to get to the Orient game to try and will them on to survival. Fortunately the Gods (in the form of Neil Grewcock and Ian Britton RIP) worked some magic and we made it. I was then a season ticket holder from 1988 to 1997 and went to all home and away games. Since then family circumstances have limited my attendance but I still manage half a dozen games a season where I can. There have been some memorable experiences along the way - good and bad. Things that spring to mind are the horse field trek to get to Cambridge's ground, Mr Bean the steward away at Barnet, three separate journeys to the twice postponed Rochdale away game in 91/92, York (away) that same year, indeed most places away that year. The "want more fog" and the incredible chant of JM's C&B army that went on for about half an hour at Derby are also another couple of the many happy memories the team I have supported since age 7 have given me. !! Plenty of bloody heart failure moments along the way too. Most importantly I have made a lot of friends whilst watching the Clarets (fine people from in and around Burnley/Accrington/Rossendale, etc as well as much further afield). So although I was born 158 miles from Burnley I do consider myself an honorary East Lancastrian for footballing purposes - and always will. I'm just thankful our school team didn't choose to play in blue and white halved shirts !!!
Last edited by whitnash claret on Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
These 4 users liked this post: Buxtonclaret keith1879 Falcon Houseclaret

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3750 times
Has Liked: 7520 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:49 pm

Cracking thread, this.
Kelp 'em coming!

anthonyg55

Post by anthonyg55 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:11 pm

My Dad was born and raised in Tod....my Mum was from Blackpool. They lived in Tod but I was born in Blackpool while they were staying at my Nan's on holiday. Dad (who passed away in 1998) used to take me to watch Burnley when I was a toddler even though we moved to Blackpool when I was about 3. We still went to most home games and some away and we watched Blackpool occasionally too. Always been a Claret, always will be......have experienced the joys and anguish a lot of us have been through over the years. I've lived in the USA now for 33 years but watch every game I can and attend matches when I visit the UK.....sadly not since 2010 as I've become disabled. Live and breathe every kick of every match. Now here's where I'll get some stick, no doubt.........always remember feeling cheated that I could never play cricket for Yorkshire - lol. The older ones on here will know why!!!
These 2 users liked this post: Juan Tanamera Clevedon Claret

Juan Tanamera
Been Liked: 761 times
Has Liked: 10008 times

Post by Juan Tanamera » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:20 pm

Never lived in Burnley, I was born and bred 'over the hill' in Loveclough/Crawshawbooth.
My big bruvver took me to my first match in September 1960, a month before Claret Tony made his debut. :D

Claretforshaw
Been Liked: 95 times
Has Liked: 49 times

Post by Claretforshaw » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:21 pm

Born in Merton, near Wimbledon, in 1951 and moved to Bookham in Surrey when I was 5. At the age of 8 I was kicking a ball about at the bottom of the road with some older lads and we had to choose our teams from Real Madrid,Spurs, Man U and Burnley. I didn't know much about football but as nobody wanted Burnley I was lumbered with that team and told I would have to be Ray Pointer, the rest is history. I am now 66, retired two years ago and moved to Rochdale to be near Granchildren.....Oh and of course Burnley.
This user liked this post: jordsclarets

Claretforshaw
Been Liked: 95 times

Post by Claretforshaw » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:23 pm

Sorry that should read Grandchildren.

keith1879
Been Liked: 262 times
Has Liked: 363 times

Post by keith1879 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:32 pm

Dad was born in Clowbridge in a house that faces on to the A56 (which wasn't even made up in 1909 I don't suppose). He always followed Burnley so although I grew up in Castleford in Yorkshire and went to school in Dirty Leeds in the 1960s there was only one team for me. I've never lived in Burnley but have been in Stockport since 1977 and have had a season ticket for most of the years since. Sad thought for me that Dad saw Burnley plunge from the very top (1921 and 1960) to the pits in 1987 although he did just live long enough to see Jimmy Mullen get us out of the basement. I always miss him at the big days - the promotion clinchers above all.
These 2 users liked this post: brunlea99 Healeywoodclaret

HatfieldClaret
Been Liked: 605 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by HatfieldClaret » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:01 am

Born in Nelson but moved away when 6 months old. Lived abroad until I was 17. Never even saw a football match on TV untilI was 10. Neither parents were interested in football. Aged 5 and living in the Middle East I was told by someone at school that as I came from near Burnley that was who I supported. OK then....

Still spreading the gospel down South, and even converting a few.

HunterST_BFC
Been Liked: 1402 times
Has Liked: 2687 times

Post by HunterST_BFC » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:05 am

BeijingClaret wrote:From Beijing so a bit away from burnley
And very welcome.
UTC!

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:10 am

Born in Burnley and have the full set of 12 fingers to prove It!
These 2 users liked this post: Juan Tanamera ontario claret

Clevedon Claret
Been Liked: 243 times
Has Liked: 932 times
Location: Where Broadchurch is filmed or on the Orihuela Costa

Post by Clevedon Claret » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:24 am

Not born in Burnley, never lived in Burnley. I'm a Keighley lad. Lived in Tod for a year when I was 15, then we moved to the South-West 32 years ago.

My Grandad, dad and his brothers used to go off to the Gas works club in Tod for first opening, leaving the women and kids at home cooking dinner.
On home game days they would pop back to get in the car and usually take me with them to Turf Moor. I would only have been about four or five at the time but quite clearly remember getting stuck going through the turnstiles of the Beehole end whilst on my Grandad's shoulders.

Grandad always stood dead centre of the goal as far back as possible, with me still up on his shoulders so I could watch and he would explain everything to me, like a running commentary.
My Dad and Uncles would usually disappear off into The Longside through the bottom corner fence, but would usually return about ten minutes before the end of the game.
Grandad was responsible for introducing me to the Clarets, It wasn't forced. By the time I was 12 I was a regular on the Pendle bus to Burnley, paying on the Beehole and sneaking into The Longside. I just wished I was on Grandad's shoulders though the first time I went for a **** in the bogs, my feet were soaked for a week!

Watching the Clarets with my daughter over the years has been fantastic, when she is working and I get a How we doing dad? what's the score? text I know she wishes she was on the match, but more importantly, It keeps The Clarets in The Family.
These 2 users liked this post: Falcon Healeywoodclaret

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:51 am

One of the best posts for some time, brilliant reading all those differing accounts of being indoctrinated by fair means or foul.
I loved this one. I am in great company.
I was born and raised in Burnley, but had to chip in with support for these supporters.

jackmiggins
Been Liked: 197 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by jackmiggins » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:12 am

I have absolutely no links with Burnley or Lancashire. I've lived in deepest Yorkshire all of my life, surrounded by dirty weeds molluscs. My Mum was Greek & Pop came from a long line of Barnsley miners. He had no interest in football at all, but, aged 7, I pestered & pestered him to tell me who his favourite team was. I have no idea why, but he said Burnley & eventually agreed to take me to my first match at Elland Road. We lost 4-0 & were completely outplayed, save for a couple of runs by Ralphie C. Somehow he was hooked & we started travelling regularly over to Turf Moor - think it took 5-6 matches before we actually won a match. Son & daughter are both clarets & my wife has converted from being a Man U fan.
These 2 users liked this post: Wile E Coyote Anonymous

tybfc
Been Liked: 1304 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by tybfc » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:11 am

What a great thread.

I was born in Darwen to the parents of two Rovers season ticket holders.

I then was moved down to Walsall at the age of four as I must have done something wrong but we came back to Lancashire when I was eleven and lived in Rishton.

School was in Blackburn and I still hate QEGS (our arch enemy).

My best mate at the time got suspended for climbing on the school roof and spraying "COME ON YOU CLARETS" with paint. His dad was deputy head.

Always worked in Blackburn and Mill Hill and they hate me.

My next door neighbour is a Rovers season ticket holder and won't speak to me any more.

I think that I made the right choice of Club although it's been a long road.

vancouverclaret
Been Liked: 68 times
Has Liked: 9 times

Post by vancouverclaret » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:22 am

I was 9 in 1971, all my family were Man U. Fans. We lived in Mottram Cheshire. My Dad wouldn't let me go with my older brother to Old Trafford, but lucky for me he let me go to see Burnley with my step brother, who was origanlly from Hapton and followed the Clarets.. I was hooked!
Moved to Canada in 1986, I try and get to a game every time I come over, next week I'll be going to Liverpool then Huddersfield and hopefully Leeds in between.
This user liked this post: ontario claret

vancouverclaret

Post by vancouverclaret » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:28 am

I was 9 in 1971, all my family were Man U. Fans. We lived in Mottram Cheshire. My Dad wouldn't let me go with my older brother to Old Trafford, but lucky for me he let me go to see Burnley with my step brother, who was origanlly from Hapton and followed the Clarets.. I was hooked!
Moved to Canada in 1986, I try and get to a game every time I come over, next week I'll be going to Liverpool then Huddersfield and hopefully Leeds in between.
This user liked this post: ontario claret

vancouverclaret

Post by vancouverclaret » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:30 am

sorry hit submit at least twice. oops!
This user liked this post: HunterST_BFC

COYC73
Been Liked: 82 times
Has Liked: 130 times

Post by COYC73 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:38 am

I support Burnley because I was born and grew up in Burnley...
It seems really odd to me that someone would choose to support another club instead of the team where they were born and grew up, unless the place they were born didn't have their own football team...then I would understand it! but if that was me I'd still pick the closest team to that location...
As a kid I only lived half a mile from Turf Moor and could hear the roar of the Longside on match days that used to make my hair stand on end....I couldn't wait until was old enough to where my mum would let me go on the Turf for the first time!!!! I fell in love immediately and never looked back! I miss the days of the Longside....it's ok in the newer seated Longside....but it doesn't compare to standing in the proper Longside all crammed in, songs echoing, um ba ba, No Ney Never, let's go f#cking mental, Ten men went to sh1t.....it was something special and I'm glad I grew up with it!

ossyrob
Has Liked: 23 times

Post by ossyrob » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:45 am

Born in Oswaldtwistle where I have lived all my life. When I was 18 in 1975 I met a girl who was a Burnley fan and went to matches together with her brother and parents. Whilst the relationship with the girl did'nt last I stayed good friends with her brother and I still go to matches with him. I was there when we were bottom of the 4th division and never dreamed we would be where we are now.Happy days.

RammyClaret61
Been Liked: 1090 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by RammyClaret61 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:10 am

Born in Ramsbottom.
Never lived in Burnley. My dad followed Bury & Portsmouth, didn't go to games, watched Pompey during his Navy days.
I First got interested in football with the England World Cup win, I was 5. Then Starting school the main clubs around Rammy were Man Utd, City & Bury. Not wanting to follow the majority, and an anoying set of cousins from Stockport, Utd season ticket holders. I said I'd be a City fan to annoy them. Then Xmas 1969 they got me, what I thought was the best ever present. A trip to my first ever live game. Manchester United v Wolves, a 0-0 draw. But it didn't convert me.

Then in Feb 70, my next door neighbour took me to Gigg Lane. Bury 8 Tranmere 1. Much better than the Old Trafford visit.
Then came the game that shaped the rest of my life. 12th September 1970, (47 years next week),Turf Moor, Burnley v Arsenal. A family friend offered to take me & my best friend. We stood on the Bee Hole End, right at the front. Loved every minute of it. Even though we lost 1-2. Next home game v Wolves I was there, 0-3. But I was hook, line and sinker already a Claret.

Ever since the Orient game I decided every game the clarets play from there on is a bonus. I'm proudly a happy clapper wearing my claret tinted glasses.

I left the shores of England in 2011 and now spread the Claret word in Melbourne Australia. I run Melbourne Clarets which as been great getting together with fellow clarets. We currently have 40 clarets that I know of in and around Melbourne. A mixture of expats and Aussies.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/106505273127899" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

UTC
This user liked this post: DAVETHEVICAR

S27bfc
Been Liked: 51 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by S27bfc » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:27 am

Was born in Blackburn,My dad was a blackburn fan but I was not really interested in football at a young age,It was only when we moved to Clitheroe and I started secondary school 1968 I became good friends with a lad from padiham went to my first Burnley game in 1969 and have been hooked ever since.

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1599 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:38 am

AshevilleNCClaret wrote:Took me about 6 months later to realize that Blackburn were rivals.

:lol: But not any more!

Blyclaret
Been Liked: 207 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by Blyclaret » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:44 am

Born in Ireland
No association with Burnley
Started supporting them at age of 12
I'm 58 now
Never supported any other team
Will always be a Claret.
This user liked this post: Tribesmen

2 Bee Holed
Been Liked: 548 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by 2 Bee Holed » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:02 am

I was born in Oswaldtwistle, raised in Accrington and then Baxenden.
Was taken to my first match by my brother.
So nothing exciting or surprising there.
Left East Lancs aged 18 and have never returned, living all over England
and one year in Australia.
Here's the thing though, since 1995 I have lived in South Manchester and have raised two kids here.
We are 2 miles from Old Trafford and one mile from Maine Road. My daughter (20) and son (16) are both
Clarets. Naturally they had stick at school but that reduced considerably after 2009!.
I didn't force them, I took them to the Turf and it came naturally.
They are now very proud Clarets and proud not to follow a plastic club.
Would it have been so easy for me/them had they been born in the 1980's?

ExistentialWanderer
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by ExistentialWanderer » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:10 am

levraiclaret wrote:Respect jtv.

Can't claim this applies to me, I spent the first 28 years living in the town and the last 40 years out and about.

However, in the last promotion season at Derby ( 0-0) I sat next to a former NCB mechanic from Grendon or Dordon, John is his name ,he chose Burnley as his team at the time of the 1962 Cup final coz all his mates chose Spurs. Supported us ever since.

Respect to all our supporters with the perspicacity to choose to be Claret, I salute you all.
It does give one a sense of pride, even during our dark days, that people looked beyond our divisional position and realise what a truly wonderful club we support. I had it drummed into me about Jimmy Mac, Ray Pointer, Brian Miller, Frank Casper etc and our European adventures, and was aware even at a young age that we didn't have that quality of player anymore. Yet still there was that unwaivering belief and enthusiasm from him that our club was special. A more impressionable youth may have been swayed by the bright lights of the bigger and more successful city clubs nearby. I nailed my colours to the Clarets cause and am glad I did. UTC!

Emelle

Post by Emelle » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:29 am

I was born in Colne and have always lived in the area. My dad and took me to West Ham at home in December 1966 because I wanted to see Moore, Hurst and Peters but within 10 minutes I was a Claret. I have been a season ticket holder, when finances and family permitted, ever since. All three children are Clarets and my proudest moment recently, was introducing my grandson to Turf Moor. He is well and truly hooked and and now has a season ticket even though he lives in Chester and I have another three younger grandsons still to introduce to all things Claret.

derryclaret
Been Liked: 185 times
Has Liked: 258 times

Post by derryclaret » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:36 am

Born in Dublin, moved to Whalley when I was a lad, obviously had a choice to make and I made the right one. Back to Dublin when I was 16 and despite enormous peer pressure to follow the herd and support the big three,Man Utd, Liverpool or Celtic, I stayed loyal to my first love.
This user liked this post: Tribesmen

doncasterclaret
Been Liked: 9 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by doncasterclaret » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:41 am

Grew up a pie throw from the ground in the 70's but for the last 25 years have lived in Donny.
Eldest son born in Leeds supports Newcastle ever since he was about 5 when me and my cousin brought him back a Newcastle shirt as a present from the old jjb sports shop next to Wigan's ground when watching the clarets there years ago. Second son supports Donny Rovers which is fair enough but he also has a completely random attachment to Blyth Spartans who we have been to see on a few occasions home and away in recent years. It's only with youngest teenage son number 3 that I have now passed on the clarets family tradition, though born in Doncaster rather than Burnley he's as proud a claret as myself a fellow season ticket holder and following hours on FIFA 15, 16, 17 absolutely brilliant about helping me with recognising every opposition player both on the field and on the bench.

JamesSherbourne
Been Liked: 300 times
Has Liked: 96 times

Post by JamesSherbourne » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:33 am

Born in Leeds in 1978, never lived in Burnley.

Supported Everton upto being 6/7
Until my Grandad, Earby born and raised took me to Turf, something just clicked & 32 years later still a proud Claret now flying the flag in Leicester

He'd wouldn't believe how far we've come, I hope somewhere up there he knows

UTC NNN
This user liked this post: brunlea99

DAVETHEVICAR
Been Liked: 825 times
Has Liked: 1609 times

Post by DAVETHEVICAR » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:48 am

Living in Edenfield my dad took me and my older brother to watch Bury for several seasons going by bus.
Dad was not a great football fan so told us when my brother was around 13 that he would take us to Burnley , Bolton and Blackburn to a home game and we could decide which team to follow.
To Bolton and Burnley it was by Ribble bus No 236 but Bolton needed a walk from bus station to Burnden Park or another bus if raining.
Rovers was by bus from Rochdale to Blackpool but again a walk or bus at the Blackburn end and a later arrival home.
We ,thankfully picked Turf Moor and have supported them since the late fifties.
Been living in Lincoln for the past 5 years but still have season ticket and only miss the odd home game .
However I used to attend most awY games courtesy of the Supporters Clubs but now only manage a couple or so now.
UTC

Paranoid
Been Liked: 47 times
Has Liked: 198 times

Post by Paranoid » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:15 am

Gargrave born and bred, village pretty equally split between Burnley and Weeds and still is to this day. Dad a true Yorkshireman as he agreed to take me to a football match in 1970 and turned right at the end of our road as it was 18 miles to Burnley and 30 miles to Leeds (petrol was expensive even then!!). As I remember we played Coventry and drew 0-0, obviously this didn't put me off and I am so glad my dad turned right!
Now living in Trawden with a short hop over the tops to the Turf.
UTC.

Carport
Been Liked: 180 times
Has Liked: 47 times

Post by Carport » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:26 am

I'm a Birmingham fan at heart having watched them on and off since 1967 but I'm married to a Brierfield girl who has supported the Clarets all her life. We live closer to Burnley than Brum and I have to say I grew tired of watching Blues during the latter Bruce and Mcleish days. Very dull! So now a Clarets ST holder also attending a fair few away games. Haven't got round to wearing colours but do I support Burnley with a passion. You bet. And yes I do sing loudly in the JHU. Rarely a dull moment!
This user liked this post: Falcon

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 635 times

Post by Tribesmen » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:28 am

derryclaret wrote:Born in Dublin, moved to Whalley when I was a lad, obviously had a choice to make and I made the right one. Back to Dublin when I was 16 and despite enormous peer pressure to follow the herd and support the big three,Man Utd, Liverpool or Celtic, I stayed loyal to my first love.
Well well well Derry so you are a Dub , funny what comes out in the first wash ;)
This user liked this post: derryclaret

ClaretCliff
Been Liked: 187 times
Has Liked: 135 times

Post by ClaretCliff » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:41 am

Brought up in Hassy and in late 50s started watching Burnley & Blackburn on alternate weeks, going with a mate, his brother and his dad who had a greengrocers shop, which meant he had a van, which meant transport!

Probably around time we were Champions, made the wise decision to dump Blackburn and concentrated on Burnley. The greengrocers family moved away so started going with my new mate. Bus from Hassy to Roccy, then another bus over the tops into Burnley. Loads of Clarets on those buses at that time. I lost touch with that mate when we both got married and moved away, but got back in touch at a school re-union last month. And now, over 40 years since we last did it, we are going to the match together on Sunday! Brilliant.

Also, managed to bring my daughter up a Claret despite living in Worsley surrounded by Man U, Man C and Bolton supporters. She now lives near Leeds but we meet up at Burnley for every home match which is great.

Btw - great thread this.
This user liked this post: Falcon

Burt
Been Liked: 79 times

Post by Burt » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:52 am

Born in Oldham, moved to Accy and Dad supported Stanley

When they went bust he started going on t'Turf and the rest is history. My first game was Spurs at home in 1973, 2-2 draw watched from the Bee Hole with 25k on!

I have moved away to Rugby, Southampton and full circle back to Huncoat, always followed the Clarets and always will

Thanks Dad RIP