Finishing a degree at 30 (or older)

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Finishing a degree at 30 (or older)

Post by ClaretAndJew » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:27 pm

Yes, yes this is a somewhat "look at me" post, because I am proud. I've just completed a BSc in Health and Social Care (shortly after I turned 30). I did it after never knowing what I wanted to do when I "grew up".

Next year, I will be further studying (3 years, cheers tax payers) at masters level to be a nurse. I'm debating mental health nursing or just adult nursing.

I suppose my point is, no matter how old you are, there's always something you can do to advance your options and prospects.

Anyone else late to the further education game? How did you find it? How are you finding it?
These 11 users liked this post: piston broke Sidney1st Paul Waine quoonbeatz cloughyclaret Cirrus_Minor ClaretTony tybfc brunlea99 Buxtonclaret JohnMac

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6490 times
Has Liked: 2919 times

Re: Finishing a degree at 30 (or older)

Post by Steve1956 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:30 pm

Well done..Good Luck pal

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1600 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:34 pm

Congratulations C&J.

My daughter has just finished her adult nursing degree and will start working on a city heart unit soon. She will be assisting in the fitting of pacemaker and stents, heart valve operations etc. I'm really proud of her!

No Ney Never
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by No Ney Never » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:40 pm

Congratulations C&J. This board shows there's definitely a need for mental health nurses, good luck whichever discipline you choose.

Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by Pstotto » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:45 pm

I fell out with my lecturers on my B.A.. They marked me down and gave me a 2.2. 15 years later I managed to get on an M.A.. The lecturers this time were younger than me and on a power trip and it was a disaster although I got my degree. Call me a cynic...

"Pstotto you´re a cynic."

Hipper
Been Liked: 1178 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Post by Hipper » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:20 pm

I have a forty year old dyslexic friend who is doing a maths degree with the Open University. It's quite costly but he's making good progress, now into his fourth (of six) year.

Last year he got 99%, this year 'only' 88%! They give him special dispensation because of his dyslexia in that an invigilator comes to his home for him to do the exam.

I like the idea of further education but I don't want the rigour of formal courses so now I use sources such as Future Learn (free on line courses, sometimes known as MOOCS - Massive Open Online Courses) or buy courses from The Great Courses (how many courses can you get in one sentence!).

Sidney1st
Been Liked: 3548 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Sidney1st » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:00 pm

Congratulations.

It isn't something I'd even begin to think about, I'm just no good academically.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2351 times
Has Liked: 3181 times

Post by Paul Waine » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:14 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:Yes, yes this is a somewhat "look at me" post, because I am proud. I've just completed a BSc in Health and Social Care (shortly after I turned 30). I did it after never knowing what I wanted to do when I "grew up".

Next year, I will be further studying (3 years, cheers tax payers) at masters level to be a nurse. I'm debating mental health nursing or just adult nursing.

I suppose my point is, no matter how old you are, there's always something you can do to advance your options and prospects.

Anyone else late to the further education game? How did you find it? How are you finding it?
Big congrats, C&J. Yes, it takes some extra effort to study and get good qualifications once you've past your early 20s.

When I was at uni - 21 years old - one of my friends had started studying in his late 30s. I met him when he was 42, taking his Masters. He was from Barrow and had left school and worked in the dock yards in his teens. Never too late.

claretabroad
Been Liked: 172 times
Has Liked: 23 times

Post by claretabroad » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:11 pm

Congratulations.

I've just been accepted onto a Ba course at the ripe age of 42. It will take 6 years part time but I'm really looking forward to the challenge.

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:14 pm

I retired at 52 without a degree. However, If you think you need one, go for it at any age.

dushanbe
Been Liked: 396 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by dushanbe » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:17 pm

Congratulations C&J great achievement and good luck with your masters. I started a degree at the ripe old age of 37 with the OU. A year later my wife had a baby and I was running a company. I finished in 2012 at 41 just before the end of transitional fee arrangements. It's never too late although it's a dear do with the OU now.

IndigoLake
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 836 times

Post by IndigoLake » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:18 pm

Congratulations and best of luck with your future studies. I'm considering a course in screenwriting as it's one of my few interests beyond sports!

I remember that there were 2 or 3 mature students on my degree course years back. They were by far the best students. They often said that they found it difficult to return to education after so long but it was clear that they had the enthusiasm and will to succeed.

HatfieldClaret
Been Liked: 605 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by HatfieldClaret » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:20 pm

Well done to you. As a taxpayer I have no qualms about funding such courses.

Nursing is very challenging and, I hope, very rewarding for you.

Everyone finds their right time for studying. I wasted a private school education but eventually took professional exams and did well.

Good luck.

Inchy
Been Liked: 1340 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by Inchy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:24 pm

Well done CJ

I graduated with a degree in adult nursing relatively late at 27. Although it's hard at times I never regret becoming a nurse. As corny as it sounds it's a great feeling when you make a positive impact on someone's life.

Also why is the masters 3 years? At Leeds you can do the MSc in nurse in 18 months if your Bsc is in a health related subject
Last edited by Inchy on Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8740 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:29 pm

'Next year, I will be further studying (3 years, cheers tax payers) at masters level to be a nurse. I'm debating mental health nursing or just adult nursing. '

Good on you. However, it used to be that we trained nurses, mostly practically, in hospitals. This degree lark is all false unless you want to be an academic!

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:30 pm

Inchy wrote:Well done CJ

I graduated with a degree in adult nursing relatively late at 27. Although it's hard at times I never regret becoming a nurse. As corny as it sounds it's a great feeling when you make a positive impact on someone's life.

Also why is the masters 3 years? At Leeds you can do the MA in nurse in 18 months if your Bsc is in a health related subject
You're just the man I needed to reply actually so hey mate.

I spoke to UCLAN and they suggest that the BSc (BA?) and MSc in Adult Nursing is literally the same course, except MSc is only September intake where as the bachelors is March and September. They've told me that anyone undertaking the MSc is graded at a higher level than those on the BSc but the modules are the same. Apparently the length is 3 years due to needing hours to become registered with the NMC.

Unless I've been given incorrect information I'd be glad of you to point me in another direction.

Inchy
Been Liked: 1340 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by Inchy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:59 pm

At Leeds you used to be able to do a masters in 18 months if you had an BSc in a healthcare subject. A girl I used to work with did it that way. It might have changed. The website says 3 years on one page but on the one below it says you can do it in 2

https://medhealth.leeds.ac.uk/news/arti ... _available" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's 2 at Hudds as well. The masters courses miss some of the year 1 modules and if you already have the modules from a previous course you don't have to redo them if you got a decent mark. if your Bsc has modules in psychology, sociology or public health I'm sure you could transfer them.

Placement time wouldn't be an issue if they condensed it. If I was you I would ring other Unis near enough to possibly go to. Bradford covers Airedale and if you go there and say your from Burnley they might put your placement over Airedale way.

Regarding the marking, at Leeds it's the same modules but the minimum pass rate is 50 rather at 40. If I was you I would deffo do the masters. If you want to climb the ladder it will come in handy. Most matrons either have, or are working towards an Msc

WadingInDeeper
Been Liked: 155 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by WadingInDeeper » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:18 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote: Anyone else late to the further education game? How did you find it? How are you finding it?
Well done. I never really stopped studying, just kept toiling away at various courses until I got the chance to design a degree based around work (there still isn't a dedicated degree). It took quite a while to get there, but I got there in the end.

I'm glad I didn't take the traditional school, college, uni route.

The only real struggle was fitting in studying between work and family.

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2603 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:25 pm

Good work Rick!

Inchysince93
Been Liked: 21 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by Inchysince93 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:30 pm

Well done!!

Finished my degree at 32. Best thing I ever did, though it was hard, I found it a little easier knowing I was working towards something I really wanted to do.

ChrisG
Been Liked: 334 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by ChrisG » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:28 pm

Well done pal. Never too late.

I start my 3rd & final year of BSc Hons Quantity Surveying in a couple of weeks. I'm 34 in October.

Funding wise, been very lucky and qualified for lot of grants due to household income & young child.

I also work as a trainee QS 2 days a week so gaining valuable experience. That and a very understanding wife.

I'd recommend it to anyone, no matter their age

Elder statesman
Been Liked: 60 times
Has Liked: 23 times

Post by Elder statesman » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:01 pm

Well done C & J. I completed my first degree at 40 , having been denied the opportunity in my youth.

WadingInDeeper
Been Liked: 155 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by WadingInDeeper » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:14 pm

Pstotto wrote:I fell out with my lecturers on my B.A.. They marked me down and gave me a 2.2. 15 years later I managed to get on an M.A.. The lecturers this time were younger than me and on a power trip and it was a disaster although I got my degree. Call me a cynic...

"Pstotto you´re a cynic."
Snap. Fell out with 1 lecturer, due to family bereavement and being expected to have the responsibilities of a typical 18yr old, and being forced to complete the unit. The resulted in a b- and ng, and annoyingly just short of a 2:1.

Fell out with my new, impersonal, tutor (not subject related) when she advised me to pitch a presentation beyond the basics, and aim for an advanced level. A level you would expect someone attending a course on the subject to be at, as she would just be monitoring my general presentation. The lecturer who was assessing the content (no contact with them before) to say it should have been at a basic level, a level at which my tutor should have understood.

Pstotto

Post by Pstotto » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:23 pm

Can of worms is higher education. The bullying the destruction and the theft I´ve witnessed as the young impalas attempt to cross the education river with the crocodile lecturers in the waters ready.

cloughyclaret
Been Liked: 125 times
Has Liked: 458 times

Post by cloughyclaret » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:24 pm

Massive congrats. There was a lass around that age enrolling today at Salford at the same time as my lad.
She looked chuffed to bits. I went for mine at 42. Never managed to finish my final year so hats off to you.

Belial
Been Liked: 381 times
Has Liked: 321 times

Post by Belial » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:46 pm

Congrats C&J. I finished my BSc three years ago (I'm in my 30's), then finished all professional qualifications within the 18 months following that, finished a PG Diploma this year, and starting a Masters this month. Since gaining the degree I also have been appointed as an advisory member and do a lot of volunteering for my profession. It's a massive change from pre-uni days although I did work all the way through studying too

In my early years I buggered around at school/college and went straight into work, albeit hands on, not for great money etc. All through my 20's I worked hard and partied hard, but the job wasn't taking me anywhere. When I was 29 I decided I needed to achieve more and despite hating the thought of going back into studying, I actually found being older helped as I was much more focused on doing well (as well as having to fork out thousands to do so). It's definitely the old cliche... if I can do it, then anyone can

Good luck with your post-grad qualifications ;)

spadesclaret
Been Liked: 2147 times
Has Liked: 3782 times

Post by spadesclaret » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:03 am

I'm full of admiration for you, C&J. Well done indeed!

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32545 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:08 am

Brilliant C&J, not just for getting your degree but more so for making the decision to do it in the first place.

Well done.

Saxoman
Been Liked: 577 times
Has Liked: 147 times

Post by Saxoman » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:11 am

I haven't got the concentration span for education. Hurts my head. :(

crundale
Been Liked: 96 times
Has Liked: 36 times

Post by crundale » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:54 am

Very well done. I went back into education to do a Masters at 42 for a career change. Loved every second of it and was even to be seen studying in the library late on a Friday night! Expensive though. Kept afloat by agency work and my partner sending money down. Fortunately the Uni had a fund I could lend through. On the day I graduated I went to the bursary to sort out the repayments.
"We are going to write it off."
"Pardon?"
"We do not require you to repay the money owed."
I actually kissed her. Forever grateful.

ralph
Been Liked: 64 times
Has Liked: 22 times

Post by ralph » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:04 am

"Anyone else late to the further education game? How did you find it? How are you finding it?"

challenging and very rewarding ... all I hoped it would be (I am 51)

jtv
Been Liked: 297 times
Has Liked: 386 times

Post by jtv » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:19 am

Started reading for an MBA in e-business as a part-time student when I was 50 and graduated at 53. Fantastic experience even though I hadn't sat for an exam for about 30 years! My class colleagues were all at least 20 years my junior but I integrated very well with the group and we still organise the occasional get-together 14 years later. I found that my work experience helped me get through it and in turn the degree helped me in the latter stages of my career. I would recommend it to anyone!

PS not as stressful as following Burnley - especially in matches similar to the Palace one!

claretpipe
Been Liked: 11 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Post by claretpipe » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:21 am

Well done, studying in later life is great but quite tough if you're doing it part time and working, I really enjoyed the opportunity to research and take a wider view on things I thought I knew about. Completed my Cert Ed at 45yrs, BA Hons 50 to 53yrs and finally MA 54 to 57yrs, having a second career in FE/HE teaching. All done part time and had great empathy for my students. Great fun but hard work particularly the MA dissertation, no plans for any more study though :D
This user liked this post: Buxtonclaret

ralph

Post by ralph » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:28 am

...similar route for me claretpipe
This user liked this post: claretpipe

claretpipe
Been Liked: 11 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Post by claretpipe » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:33 am

Any plans for further study Ralph?

ralph

Post by ralph » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:45 am

Maybe ... I am of the mindset that while I am fit enough I might just keep going , at the moment I kind of take the view that for me retirement is to be avoided .None of us can be sure what is around the corner so yes for now I think I will continue ...

Or write a book or two !!

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1600 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:55 am

Pstotto wrote:Can of worms is higher education. The bullying the destruction and the theft I´ve witnessed as the young impalas attempt to cross the education river with the crocodile lecturers in the waters ready.

Can of worms, impalas and crocodiles? Some times you have very strange views on the world, Pstotto. :lol:

COBBLE
Been Liked: 350 times
Has Liked: 472 times

Post by COBBLE » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:45 am

Congratulations. I think people should consider furthering their education at any time in their lives. I qualified as an accountant in my 20s but took an MBA in my 40s which revitalised me and my career, and made it more enjoyable.

ExistentialWanderer
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by ExistentialWanderer » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:01 am

Did start an adult education class on electronics, TV and VCR repair back when I was younger. Always had an affinity with it but with VCR's rapidly being replaced and long work hours at the time I couldn't commit. Working 50/60 hours, 6 days a week left little time to study and enjoy a bit of 'me time'.
I found that HTML came easy to me when I lived abroad and could easily build my own websites using code, so have contemplated returning to that at some point. Maybe when life and work is calmer.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2379 times
Has Liked: 3807 times

Post by JohnMac » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:22 am

Well done C&J.
You aren't far away from me so I know I'll be able to call on you to guide me to and from Molly's as I advance in age :D

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:23 am

Never too late to take exams and get qualifications. It is harder to learn when you are older based on brain retention and other commitments but you can always challenge yourself.( not too sure about the taxpayer bit though.)

Pstotto

Post by Pstotto » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:18 pm

LCP all the young impalas having to cross a ford in the river (education system) and all the crocodiles out to thieve. Case in point, I took a painting down to St.Martins School of Art in London. The interview lasted less than five minutes. I was rejected. Eight years later Tim Head (London established artist) wins first prize at John Moores Liverpool (premier contemporary painting ópen`show) with more or less the same idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dYoA4lAPZo&t=9s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; That´s just one example. I couldn´t even get on a Fine Art course with it. Ruined my life.

ebby
Been Liked: 60 times
Has Liked: 259 times

Post by ebby » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:29 pm

Half way through a History Degree (Modern History - lots of great subjects like The Cold War, Dictators of Europe and Spies, Saboteurs and Secret Agents)

I am 62 - left St Teds to go an apprenticeship at Michelin, so it's over 40 years since I last studied. The main difference between Young & Old - We turn up every day.
This user liked this post: Sidney1st

Foshiznik
Been Liked: 723 times
Has Liked: 2034 times
Location: Computer matrix, IP not found- current code: 00101110100101001100100 1011101010100010101101010100100

Post by Foshiznik » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:14 pm

I'm 32 and have just started a degree in Politics, Philosophy and Economics.

I might not be as quick a learner as I was in my teens, but my maturity will help me no end compared to back then.

Congratulations.