REPORT: Hardly a classic but the run continues

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32534 times
Has Liked: 5277 times

REPORT: Hardly a classic but the run continues

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:07 pm

Burnley v Huddersfield report

See link
http://www.uptheclarets.com/hardly-a-cl ... -continues" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1045 times
Has Liked: 819 times

Re: REPORT: Hardly a classic but the run continues

Post by ClaretAL » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:16 pm

Agree with everything stated, good report CT

summitclaret
Been Liked: 834 times
Has Liked: 1331 times

Post by summitclaret » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:51 pm

A good report as usual, which I agree with apart from:-

" it wasn’t a good performance and certainly wasn’t a good game but, on reflection, the performance was nothing like as disappointing as some would have you believe. "

We created the square root of you know what again at home, even less than against CP. The lower and middle teams are all doing the same here now and we don't appear to have a clue (with our current squad) what to do. This is despite us playing really well defensively again and the excellent form of Defour. Barnes and JBG should have been on much sooner, as it was very clear that whatever we were trying to to was not going to work. Why so much caution?

Brady is starting to annoy me now. So much talent, but so frustrating.
This user liked this post: Dark Cloud

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3150 times
Has Liked: 10254 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:00 pm

" marshalled by Christopher Schindler and his list of defenders."

For you, Tony, ze reporting is over...........

A fair report.
This user liked this post: Rowls

Athletico mtoto
Been Liked: 182 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Athletico mtoto » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:05 pm

Summitclaret has it spot on.
I thought the only way we were likely to score was by winning a free kick within Brady range.
Maybe bringing Barnes into the game earlier might have had some influence.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:39 pm

summitclaret wrote:A good report as usual, which I agree with apart from:-

" it wasn’t a good performance and certainly wasn’t a good game but, on reflection, the performance was nothing like as disappointing as some would have you believe. "

We created the square root of you know what again at home, even less than against CP. The lower and middle teams are all doing the same here now and we don't appear to have a clue (with our current squad) what to do. This is despite us playing really well defensively again and the excellent form of Defour. Barnes and JBG should have been on much sooner, as it was very clear that whatever we were trying to to was not going to work. Why so much caution?

Brady is starting to annoy me now. So much talent, but so frustrating.
And yet we created enough against West Brom to win that game.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:45 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:" marshalled by Christopher Schindler and his list of defenders."

For you, Tony, ze reporting is over...........

A fair report.
Whether Huddersfield stay up or not, i sense there will be interest in Schindler come the summer.
This user liked this post: Rumpelstiltskin

CleggHall
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 1050 times

Post by CleggHall » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:37 am

As the Yorkshire Post says " a master class in defending by both sides".
Ditto Brighton v Newcastle, it's how the smaller clubs learn to survive in the PL.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

piston broke
Been Liked: 1448 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:32 am

Spot on, CT. We huffed and puffed but that final touch just wouldn't come off.
Surprised to see two above calling for Barnes earlier introduction. For me it was when we went two up top that they took over.

Belgianclaret
Been Liked: 955 times
Has Liked: 169 times

Post by Belgianclaret » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:58 am

Good report, maybe even more exciting than the game itself ;)

However, another valuable point on the board.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2534 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:14 am

When I was very young and going to the match with my dad he used to say after a game like that that we wouldn't have scored if we'd played till midnight. I used to respond and say ' course we would'. He just grinned back at me. I had a lot to learn.
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone BFCmaj

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:39 am

Silkyskills1 wrote:When I was very young and going to the match with my dad he used to say after a game like that that we wouldn't have scored if we'd played till midnight. I used to respond and say ' course we would'. He just grinned back at me. I had a lot to learn.
I still say it - and often it is the case. I just looked back on it and we did come up against a team whose one objective was clearly to keep a clean sheet and they did their job very well.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:43 pm

I generally agree with Tony's match reports but I'm slightly at odds with this one. I'm not sure too many people I spoke to expected us to beat Huddersfield comfortably - in fact every conversation I had pre-game was about what an interesting test this was going to be of our ability to beat stubborn opposition.

Nor do I think there's any particular angst about the result, although a point at home to a side who ended last season with a negative goal difference and who lost by 2 goals at an abject West Ham in their last away game is never going to leave anyone feeling particularly warm and fuzzy. Frustrating results happen.

I think the concern (and criticism, legitimately) is about precisely how little we created, and how little idea we appeared to show about how we were going to break them down. I reckon we delivered about 5 crosses into the box all afternoon. I reckon we created one genuinely decent chance all afternoon (two if you include the square ball cut out just in front of Wood, who might have been offside any way). I reckon Huddersfield were genuinely stretched about 2 or 3 times in 95 minutes. And they weren't stretched once after we decided the correct response to our frustration (and Huddersfield's decision to play the last 30 minutes with two genuinely attacking wingers on the pitch in Ince and Van La Parra, neither noted for their defensive attributes) was to bring on Barnes and become even less subtle in our build up play.

Huddersfield have a decent enough defensive record this season, and were impressive defensively on Saturday, but their clean sheets have come against us, Newcastle (1 goal in 3 away games against bottom quarter teams now), Palace and Southampton (4 goals all season so far), so it needs placing in context.

Had it just been one of those days, I think there'd be less criticism. But we can't place lots of weight on how many clean sheets Huddersfield have kept to demonstrate that they're a good team defensively, whilst ignoring the trend suggested by the fact that we've managed one goal, that a gift, in 3 home games this season, and have had painfully few good chances in those 3 games (even if aesthetically, the WBA game might have been better).

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:37 pm

claretspice wrote:I generally agree with Tony's match reports but I'm slightly at odds with this one. I'm not sure too many people I spoke to expected us to beat Huddersfield comfortably - in fact every conversation I had pre-game was about what an interesting test this was going to be of our ability to beat stubborn opposition.

Nor do I think there's any particular angst about the result, although a point at home to a side who ended last season with a negative goal difference and who lost by 2 goals at an abject West Ham in their last away game is never going to leave anyone feeling particularly warm and fuzzy. Frustrating results happen.

I think the concern (and criticism, legitimately) is about precisely how little we created, and how little idea we appeared to show about how we were going to break them down. I reckon we delivered about 5 crosses into the box all afternoon. I reckon we created one genuinely decent chance all afternoon (two if you include the square ball cut out just in front of Wood, who might have been offside any way). I reckon Huddersfield were genuinely stretched about 2 or 3 times in 95 minutes. And they weren't stretched once after we decided the correct response to our frustration (and Huddersfield's decision to play the last 30 minutes with two genuinely attacking wingers on the pitch in Ince and Van La Parra, neither noted for their defensive attributes) was to bring on Barnes and become even less subtle in our build up play.

Huddersfield have a decent enough defensive record this season, and were impressive defensively on Saturday, but their clean sheets have come against us, Newcastle (1 goal in 3 away games against bottom quarter teams now), Palace and Southampton (4 goals all season so far), so it needs placing in context.

Had it just been one of those days, I think there'd be less criticism. But we can't place lots of weight on how many clean sheets Huddersfield have kept to demonstrate that they're a good team defensively, whilst ignoring the trend suggested by the fact that we've managed one goal, that a gift, in 3 home games this season, and have had painfully few good chances in those 3 games (even if aesthetically, the WBA game might have been better).
Very good analysis.

Last season we beat Everton and Bournemouth without Gray being in the side therefore with far less pace yet still managed to score 5 goals.

summitclaret
Been Liked: 834 times
Has Liked: 1331 times

Post by summitclaret » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:18 pm

Yes but last year we were relatively an unknown quantity.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1489 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:21 pm

One point nearer staying up UTC
This user liked this post: tim_noone

RocketLawnChair
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by RocketLawnChair » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:52 pm

ClaretTony wrote: I just looked back on it and we did come up against a team whose one objective was clearly to keep a clean sheet and they did their job very well.
Lets be honest CT, so did Huddersfield.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:34 pm

RocketLawnChair wrote:Lets be honest CT, so did Huddersfield.
I don’t think that, just that we weren’t good enough on the day to break them down.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2625 times

Post by NottsClaret » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:44 pm

It was a bit dull but it was alright. Two mediocre performances at home has got the whiners whining, but we've got four points.

We'll always have plenty of days like that at this level. You can still appreciate the effort, the organisation.. or just spend your time watching Defour. But I'm happy with it, as long as you get the odd hedonistic thrill-fest from time to time like Chelsea away or Palace and Everton at home last year.

RocketLawnChair
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by RocketLawnChair » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:14 pm

ClaretTony wrote:I don’t think that, just that we weren’t good enough on the day to break them down.
We were so deep at times that it was impossible to break them down. As pointed out in another thread there were instances when they had two attackers in our box and we had 8 defenders. We were too deep all afternoon.

TurfyMoore
Been Liked: 24 times

Post by TurfyMoore » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:16 pm

A lot less worrying than the Tuesday night game v Huddersfield in Dyches first season