Negative fan comment in media

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8740 times

Negative fan comment in media

Post by IanMcL » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:55 pm

I picked up an 'I' before the match and there were fan comments for every pram team. Ours was from Rileybobd and was moaning about the team and what changes he thought were needed.

When we lost to WBA I remember a Burnley fan coming on last on 606. He was moaning about the team and the manager.

Folk should really think twice when they comment to the media. We don't get much coverage and we are doing fantastically well. Let's give a positive message to the rest of the world, rather than moaning and groaning about some minor thing.
These 9 users liked this post: yorkyclaret Rumpelstiltskin SussexDon1inIreland turfytopper Quicknick KateR Burnley Ace ontario claret Holtyclaret

GrahamBranchsPerm
Been Liked: 74 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Re: Negative fan comment in media

Post by GrahamBranchsPerm » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:22 pm

Agree, was my point on the 'Burnley that was abysmal!' thread Ian.

Many will be up in arms on being asked to be censored, but I'm with you.

Be positive, back the team, keep the manager knowing he is appreciated, remember where we have come from since the resurgence (appreciate we were Champions in the 60s). If going to criticise, at least be insightful and constructive.

UTC
This user liked this post: IanMcL

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:23 pm

Have you considered the prospect of them vetting fans? There's no way the are going to care about anyone being positive.

Just like lots of media, take it with a pinch of salt. It's not vindictive of Burnley fans as a whole.

GrahamBranchsPerm

Post by GrahamBranchsPerm » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:28 pm

Very true Dimi, so need people to engage brain before opening the trap door if they are indirectly representing the fans of our club.

UTC
This user liked this post: Spike

CFS
Been Liked: 231 times
Has Liked: 113 times

Post by CFS » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:38 pm

Guy next to me slagging of dyche all game calling him a pillock,useless **** who doesn't know what he's doing,make a sub and why we hadn't started with 442 yet the game before slagging him off for playing 442 saying it doesn't work. One word delusional.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:43 pm

If it's a positive view ...they won't air those comments.they thrive on negatives.it creates more interest.for some strange reason.
This user liked this post: piston broke

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11052 times
Has Liked: 5660 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:44 am

We weren't very good yesterday, in fact given our away performances I thought we were very poor. Doesn't mean I think Dyche is crap and it's the end of the world. We are probably 2 divisions higher than I ever thought we would be when I first started going on the Turf. Heady times for us and regardless of what happens I appreciate where the club is right now.
This user liked this post: Spike

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6963 times
Has Liked: 1483 times

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:46 am

IanMcL wrote:I picked up an 'I' before the match and there were fan comments for every pram team. Ours was from Rileybobd and was moaning about the team and what changes he thought were needed.

When we lost to WBA I remember a Burnley fan coming on last on 606. He was moaning about the team and the manager.

Folk should really think twice when they comment to the media. We don't get much coverage and we are doing fantastically well. Let's give a positive message to the rest of the world, rather than moaning and groaning about some minor thing.
Do you mean me? Because if so you’re definitely mistaken.
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by Bfcboyo » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:17 am

Probably the same fans whining for a bigger stadium. What so all the extra fans can boo when we battle out a hard earned PREMIERE LEAGUE POINT ?.
Obviously these negative people cannot remember where what we have come through from over the last 30 odd years.

Dyche deserves a shrine building when hes finished with us.

Bask in the position we are in and enjoy every minute. It can quickly go south.
These 4 users liked this post: SussexDon1inIreland Burnley Ace IanMcL Spike

Sidney1st
Been Liked: 3548 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Sidney1st » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:53 am

The media are airing the negative views of fans?

Didn't see that one coming.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:22 am

I don't really care if people want to be negative or positive in the media, but it is essential not to come across as either a ranting loon or a clueless imbecile.

if you manage to avoid that, then that would be a cracking start*

*West Ham and Everton fans have failed both these basic tests, Everton recently, West Ham fans for ever.
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone Spike

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32543 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:36 am

I've always tried to be very positive when being interviewed by the national media. I've done Talksport a few times over recent years on a Saturday morning with Georgie Bingham and Micky Quinn and always looked at the more positives, even indicating that we weren't a beaten side before setting off when we went to Chelsea in 2014/15 (when we got a draw).

But later that season, I think it was West Ham, Jambomackem was on the same programme and was so negative about the club.

ablueclaret
Been Liked: 403 times
Has Liked: 50 times

Post by ablueclaret » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:50 am

Some people confuse negativity with critical analysis.
I don't think there are many who would not agree that over the last 10 years or so the club has done extremely well. That does not mean that there have not been some awful signings, that we have shown a degree of incompetence when it comes to signing players from Europe, that the youth set-up has been a disaster, that at times we have played a sterile type of football, that given the money we have our signings have been uninspiring, that SD still remains a largely reactive manager who doesn't think outside the box.
There are those who like Momentum members just wish to see the positive, it was OC's message that many adhered to, and that is fine, but without the critical minority you get complacency and adulation neither of which do much to enhance the club in the long-term.
Any club worth its salt should welcome positive criticism, suggestions, analysis, it doesn't mean that the club is rubbish it just means it can still do better.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3150 times
Has Liked: 10256 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:13 am

Well, this is the comment that appeared in last Friday's "I" paper.
IMG_1479.jpg
IMG_1479.jpg (1.21 MiB) Viewed 4113 times

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:21 am

Blimey, I'm famous. I wasn't aware that had been published elsewhere.

Did Ian McL just make up the bit about me moaning about the team and what changes were needed then?
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1831 times
Has Liked: 2633 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:33 am

Rileybobs--I am intrigued to know how you can be so certain that Heaton would have saved that Leeds effort and got a hand to Salah's effort.
It is just pure conjecture and you can not be 'certain' that Heaton would make the saves, he may well have been nowhere near them, in fact, he wasn't anywhere near them because he is injured.
This user liked this post: turfytopper

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:51 am

Ashingtonclaret46 wrote:Rileybobs--I am intrigued to know how you can be so certain that Heaton would have saved that Leeds effort and got a hand to Salah's effort.
It is just pure conjecture and you can not be 'certain' that Heaton would make the saves, he may well have been nowhere near them, in fact, he wasn't anywhere near them because he is injured.
Well obviously I can't know with complete certainty and I would have worded the comment more carefully had I known a national rag was going to be all over it. I'm almost certain that Heaton would have save the shot that Leeds scored and got a hand to Salah's shot. This is based on me having watched Tom Heaton for a number of years. I can't remember the last time he let in a goal as soft as Leeds'.

turfytopper
Been Liked: 409 times
Has Liked: 3431 times

Post by turfytopper » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:52 am

Ashingtonclaret46 wrote:--I am intrigued to ..........
Can't argue with that......"Sliding doors eh?"

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1217 times
Has Liked: 7197 times

Post by Quicknick » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:55 am

IanMcL wrote:I picked up an 'I' before the match and there were fan comments for every pram team. Ours was from Rileybobd and was moaning about the team and what changes he thought were needed.

Well said, Ian. Threads like this annoy me.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:05 am

Rileybobs wrote:Well obviously I can't know with complete certainty and I would have worded the comment more carefully had I known a national rag was going to be all over it. I'm almost certain that Heaton would have save the shot that Leeds scored and got a hand to Salah's shot. This is based on me having watched Tom Heaton for a number of years. I can't remember the last time he let in a goal as soft as Leeds'.
If you've been watching Tom for a number of years then you should have remembered the goal he let through his legs at home to Preston or maybe the goal versus Lincoln.

Tom is a great keeper but to say you are almost certain he would have got a hand to Salah's shot is just a bit ridiculous - the context of making a comment like this sounds to me like you are looking for an excuse to criticise Pope. I did not see one commentator blaming Pope for the Salah goal.

The only thing they you can say for 100% certain is that in his current state Heaton would not have saved Salah's shot.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:48 am

TVC15 wrote:If you've been watching Tom for a number of years then you should have remembered the goal he let through his legs at home to Preston or maybe the goal versus Lincoln.

Tom is a great keeper but to say you are almost certain he would have got a hand to Salah's shot is just a bit ridiculous - the context of making a comment like this sounds to me like you are looking for an excuse to criticise Pope. I did not see one commentator blaming Pope for the Salah goal.

The only thing they you can say for 100% certain is that in his current state Heaton would not have saved Salah's shot.
Of course I remember the very few mistakes that Heaton has made, and the fact that you have to go back almost 2 years to find an example of Heaton conceding a similarly poor goal backs up my confidence that he would have saved the shot with ease. Likewise, I would have expected him to at least get down to Salah's effort.

I'm certainly not looking for an excuse to criticise Pope, if you read my original comment I allude to the fact that my disappointment in conceding the Leeds goal is down to how much I've come to take for granted having having such a top quality goalkeeper as Heaton.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3342 times
Has Liked: 1964 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:52 am

I bet you wish you hadn't made any comments on the keepers over the last few days Rileybobs.

Couple of quite innocent comments getting more attention than required now.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Rowls
Been Liked: 5102 times
Has Liked: 5174 times

Post by Rowls » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:57 am

Copying and pasting internet forum opinions.

And some people still think they're not reading a tabloid when they buy the "i"

:D
This user liked this post: ngsobob

UpTheBeehole
Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 496 times

Post by UpTheBeehole » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:02 pm

TVC15 wrote:If you've been watching Tom for a number of years then you should have remembered the goal he let through his legs at home to Preston or maybe the goal versus Lincoln.

Heaton didn't concede a goal through his legs in the Preston game. You said this last week and you were wrong then. You still are.

Here's the proof.

https://youtu.be/P1zhkS6f_88?t=1m16s

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:04 pm

Rileybobs wrote:Of course I remember the very few mistakes that Heaton has made, and the fact that you have to go back almost 2 years to find an example of Heaton conceding a similarly poor goal backs up my confidence that he would have saved the shot with ease. Likewise, I would have expected him to at least get down to Salah's effort.

I'm certainly not looking for an excuse to criticise Pope, if you read my original comment I allude to the fact that my disappointment in conceding the Leeds goal is down to how much I've come to take for granted having having such a top quality goalkeeper as Heaton.
So you can remember the goal now ? Great.

The Lincoln goal was 7 months ago btw.

Pope did get down for the Salah goal - but Salah`s first touch was brilliant and his shot had very little back lift. It was in the back of the goal before any keeper could have got it - including Tom.

As for the Leeds goal - there was a big element of luck with this. There is no way the striker intended to hit the ball straight at Pope and this was also not what Pope was expecting. This was very similar to Will Keane`s goal as it took Tom by surprise. This is why you can`t be too critical with either Pope or Heaton. To say Heaton would have saved the shot with ease is as I said ridiculous - he did not save Will Keane`s effort (Keane`s was actually further out that the Leeds goal).....how many similar instances has Tom had since where a player is through and hits it right at the keeper rather than to either side ? If you could point to lots of similar saves Heaton has made then you might have a case.

Nobody is saying that Pope is better than Heaton - he very clearly isn`t. But Pope has not done much wrong to date - and without his performances v Palace and Liverpool we would have had 3 points less. Whilst I think Tom would have saved all the chances Pope did at Anfield there is an argument that he would have not made that save v Palace which was top drawer.

Leeds game was not lost because of Pope - it was lost because of the quality of our final ball and our finishing.
Last edited by TVC15 on Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: ten bellies

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:06 pm

UpTheBeehole wrote:Heaton didn't concede a goal through his legs in the Preston game. You said this last week and you were wrong then. You still are.

Here's the proof.

https://youtu.be/P1zhkS6f_88?t=1m16s

ok not through his legs but still went right through him....I am not criticising Tom. I am saying that when the ball is hit right at the keeper it can sometimes catch them by surprise and most keepers have been beat like that at some point in their career.

keith1879
Been Liked: 262 times
Has Liked: 366 times

Post by keith1879 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:12 pm

The Leeds forward was one on one with the keeper and moving at pace with the ball. Pope came out and tried to spread himself .....what more could he do? Most decent forwards would expect to score under those circumstances.

UpTheBeehole

Post by UpTheBeehole » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:14 pm

keith1879 wrote:The Leeds forward was one on one with the keeper and moving at pace with the ball. Pope came out and tried to spread himself .....what more could he do? Most decent forwards would expect to score under those circumstances.
Didn't do a very good job of coming out or spreading himself
Pope Megs.png
Pope Megs.png (870.95 KiB) Viewed 3797 times

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:52 pm

change the f`in record UptheBeehole - the leeds striker was left one on one with the whole of our half to run into.

Why are you not being critical of Barnes who lost the original ball and had an absolute shocker all night ? Or Taylor and the rest of the defence who went AWOL ?

It`s embarrassing.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:02 pm

TVC15 wrote:So you can remember the goal now ? Great.

The Lincoln goal was 7 months ago btw.

Pope did get down for the Salah goal - but Salah`s first touch was brilliant and his shot had very little back lift. It was in the back of the goal before any keeper could have got it - including Tom.

As for the Leeds goal - there was a big element of luck with this. There is no way the striker intended to hit the ball straight at Pope and this was also not what Pope was expecting. This was very similar to Will Keane`s goal as it took Tom by surprise. This is why you can`t be too critical with either Pope or Heaton. To say Heaton would have saved the shot with ease is as I said ridiculous - he did not save Will Keane`s effort (Keane`s was actually further out that the Leeds goal).....how many similar instances has Tom had since where a player is through and hits it right at the keeper rather than to either side ? If you could point to lots of similar saves Heaton has made then you might have a case.

Nobody is saying that Pope is better than Heaton - he very clearly isn`t. But Pope has not done much wrong to date - and without his performances v Palace and Liverpool we would have had 3 points less. Whilst I think Tom would have saved all the chances Pope did at Anfield there is an argument that he would have not made that save v Palace which was top drawer.

Leeds game was not lost because of Pope - it was lost because of the quality of our final ball and our finishing.
I've always been able to remember the goal, I'm not sure what you're on about?

We can't prove whether Heaton would or wouldn't have saved the shot, so it's pointless carrying this on really. If Tom was faced with the same situation I would wager a decent amount on him saving the shot, such is my confidence in his abilities. That isn't a slight on Pope who looks like a good prospect, rather testament to how reliable Heaton is. In terms of pointing to similar saves Heaton has made, he makes bread and butter saves with such regularity that it's difficult to remember a specific one.

UpTheBeehole

Post by UpTheBeehole » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:20 pm

TVC15 wrote:change the f`in record UptheBeehole - the leeds striker was left one on one with the whole of our half to run into.

Why are you not being critical of Barnes who lost the original ball and had an absolute shocker all night ? Or Taylor and the rest of the defence who went AWOL ?

It`s embarrassing.
Awkward.png
Awkward.png (17.55 KiB) Viewed 3590 times

RocketLawnChair
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 836 times

Post by RocketLawnChair » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:41 pm

Here is my two penneth if I may on the Leeds goal.

I would say Upthebeehole's STILL photo proves Pope has actually got himself in a decent to position to save a shot hit to his left or to his right.

The Leeds player hit the shot pretty well the STILL image shows he's about 8 yards away from Pope on contact. In real time the striker went for power not accuracy and I personally think got a tad fortunate.

If Pope is stood with his legs together he would just look a total pleb and would have limited his chances to spring and dive. IMO Pope has got himself into a position to push of either foot which is surely the correct thing to do.

It would be interesting to compare Popes starting position just before the Benteke save.

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:58 pm

Pope is proving a very competent and good 2nd choice 'keeper at this level.

He has stepped up to cover and England international goalkeeper who ought to have earned 4 or 5 more caps than he actually has over the past year.

Of course Pope isn't quite as good as Heaton. Heaton will be back in the first team as soon as it's safe to get him back after his injury.

If Nick Pope came in and did twice as good as our first team goalkeeper it would mean that our first choice wasn't that good.

This is the footballing equivalent of that silly phrase about "first world problems".

Heaton is an international class goalkeeper.
Pope is proving an excellent 2nd choice.
This user liked this post: keith1879

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:06 pm

Rileybobs wrote:I've always been able to remember the goal, I'm not sure what you're on about?

We can't prove whether Heaton would or wouldn't have saved the shot, so it's pointless carrying this on really. If Tom was faced with the same situation I would wager a decent amount on him saving the shot, such is my confidence in his abilities. That isn't a slight on Pope who looks like a good prospect, rather testament to how reliable Heaton is. In terms of pointing to similar saves Heaton has made, he makes bread and butter saves with such regularity that it's difficult to remember a specific one.
Not sure what I am on about ?
Maybe it was when you said "I can't remember the last time he let in a goal as soft as Leeds'" !!

And as already said the Lincoln goal was 7 months ago and was arguably as soft as the Leeds goal.

Leeds goal was not bread and butter - it was a player who was through on his own and wacked the ball straight at him from 8 yards. If Heaton has made so many similar saves with such regularity then it should be pretty easy for you to name a couple of specifics surely ?

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2379 times
Has Liked: 3807 times

Post by JohnMac » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:13 pm

I hear the same after nearly every game and have mentioned how quite a few of our fanbase have become 'Billy Big ********' and cannot grasp how far we have come and the almost impossible task we face to progress beyond where we are now.

We may be one of the richest clubs in the world but we are still very much a minnow in the Premier League. We could have £120m but if all those above have £200m and the clubs below want £20m for a £2m player it's all relevant.
These 3 users liked this post: ngsobob keith1879 Wo Didi

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3150 times
Has Liked: 10256 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:15 pm

Rowls wrote:Copying and pasting internet forum opinions.

And some people still think they're not reading a tabloid when they buy the "i"

:D
Of course it's a tabloid, the size and shape give it away :roll: .
If you're using "tabloid" as a derogatory term, mildly or otherwise, you shouldn't. It's quite an interesting and refreshing read. The snippets from other clubs' boards (Prem, Friday - Championship, Saturday) are worth reading. No, they aren't necessarily the unanimous view of their respective fan bases but they are worth looking at.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11052 times
Has Liked: 5660 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:28 pm

Rileybobs wrote:Blimey, I'm famous. I wasn't aware that had been published elsewhere.

Did Ian McL just make up the bit about me moaning about the team and what changes were needed then?
I hope they asked you and Tony for permission to use your quote

keith1879
Been Liked: 262 times
Has Liked: 366 times

Post by keith1879 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:42 pm

UpTheBeehole wrote:Didn't do a very good job of coming out or spreading himself
Pope Megs.png
You're not wrong - from where I was seated it really looked as if he were closer to the guy. Definitely changed my opinion.

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:13 pm

GrahamBranchsPerm wrote:Agree, was my point on the 'Burnley that was abysmal!' thread Ian.

Many will be up in arms on being asked to be censored, but I'm with you.

Be positive, back the team, keep the manager knowing he is appreciated, remember where we have come from since the resurgence (appreciate we were Champions in the 60s). If going to criticise, at least be insightful and constructive.

UTC
Yes I apologise because I had not seen your thread until some time afterwards. It was one of those things, where you have the thought about something not really covered before and then discover a like minded thread later. I agree with your thoughts too.

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:15 pm

CFS wrote:Guy next to me slagging of dyche all game calling him a pillock,useless **** who doesn't know what he's doing,make a sub and why we hadn't started with 442 yet the game before slagging him off for playing 442 saying it doesn't work. One word delusional.
Let out for football in the community therapy!

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:18 pm

Rileybobs wrote:Do you mean me? Because if so you’re definitely mistaken.
I have no idea Rileybobs. The name at the end of the paragraph from the Burnley fan was Rileybobs. If you say it was not you, I am pleased. The post was not aimed individually but for all of us to bear in mind.

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:21 pm

Sidney1st wrote:The media are airing the negative views of fans?

Didn't see that one coming.
No they had a fan para for every prem club. Some were negative and others not. Up to the fan in question.

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:25 pm

ClaretTony wrote:I've always tried to be very positive when being interviewed by the national media. I've done Talksport a few times over recent years on a Saturday morning with Georgie Bingham and Micky Quinn and always looked at the more positives, even indicating that we weren't a beaten side before setting off when we went to Chelsea in 2014/15 (when we got a draw).

But later that season, I think it was West Ham, Jambomackem was on the same programme and was so negative about the club.
Exactly - stands out like a sore thumb.

ontario claret
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 1725 times

Post by ontario claret » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:37 pm

The time when you start going negative, Tony, is the time when the rest of will be slashing our wrists.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:46 pm

IanMcL wrote:I have no idea Rileybobs. The name at the end of the paragraph from the Burnley fan was Rileybobs. If you say it was not you, I am pleased. The post was not aimed individually but for all of us to bear in mind.
Hi Ian. Turns out it was me however it was quoting part of a post that I made on this forum, on the Lindegaard thread bizarrely enough, and I had no idea it had been copied elsewhere. I wasn’t asked by the paper for my views.

Also, in your OP, you claim that I was moaning about thwas team and what changes were needed which clearly isn’t true.

GrahamBranchsPerm

Post by GrahamBranchsPerm » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:39 pm

Kind Ian, appreciated.

Still pinching myself and humbled we are in the Prem, and keen Mr Dyche, who clearly does care what fans think (see his references to how he was booed initially, and how agitated he was at the murmurs on Saturday) knows 99% of fans appreciate he working miracles.

UTC
This user liked this post: IanMcL

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:06 am

Rileybobs wrote:Hi Ian. Turns out it was me however it was quoting part of a post that I made on this forum, on the Lindegaard thread bizarrely enough, and I had no idea it had been copied elsewhere. I wasn’t asked by the paper for my views.

Also, in your OP, you claim that I was moaning about thwas team and what changes were needed which clearly isn’t true.
If it was picked up off here, then have been unlucky Rileybob. It could have been many. Just shows what papers will pick out to suit their needs.
Up the Clarets.

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:56 am

evensteadiereddie wrote:Of course it's a tabloid, the size and shape give it away :roll: .
If you're using "tabloid" as a derogatory term, mildly or otherwise, you shouldn't.
Nothing derogatory about the term tabloid nor about reading them. I love to read the Sun and the Mail from time to time.

It's just that because the "i" started out as the (pre-internet) Independent some people do imagine that they're not reading a tabloid when it should be obvious that they are.

The Independent used to be one of my favourite newspapers. Even when it was spouting leftie nonsense it was always very well written leftie nonsense. ;)

I was gutted when it closed down. The internet-only Independent is only related in name but because it was spawned from a much more serious (and better written) news outlet some people* do still afford it a reverence and respectability it no longer deserves.

That was all I was saying. No more, no less. Tabloids are fine as long as you know what you're getting. :)

* Not everybody and nobody did so on this thread. I was just remarking casually.