Keaton Jennings

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32530 times
Has Liked: 5277 times

Keaton Jennings

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:17 am

Leaving Durham and signing a 4-year deal with Lancs

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3341 times
Has Liked: 1961 times

Re: Keaton Jennings

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:19 am

At least we know he won't be jetting off to play for England.

CleggHall
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 1050 times

Post by CleggHall » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:23 am

The ECB have really shafted Durham with their relegation and points deduction decisions. Little chance of recovery this season, the future looks bleak as players jump ship and head to 1st Division clubs with test match grounds. It is also a pity that Lancs, Notts and Surrey cannot produce their own home grown players and have to rely on this northern outpost of 1st class cricket and an endless supply of Kolpaks.
These 2 users liked this post: LeadBelly dandeclaret

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:26 am

CleggHall wrote:Lancs, Notts and Surrey
I think you might just have conveniently missed one there - clue: they play at Headingley.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5560 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:42 am

ClaretTony wrote:I think you might just have conveniently missed one there - clue: they play at Headingley.
To be fair to Yorkshire (if I must) they have produced some pretty good players of their own.

JarrowClaret
Been Liked: 343 times
Has Liked: 195 times

Post by JarrowClaret » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:12 am

Yorks have also nicked 2 or 3 from other Counties though Willey, Plunkett and Sidebottom are 3 names that spring to mind immediately.

maccclaret
Been Liked: 172 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by maccclaret » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:13 am

Where does that leave homegrown Hameed or homegrown Davies or homegrown Livingstone, or even homegrown Rob Jones who's made a promising start?

Is Jennings going to bat at 5? Or maybe 3, that representing the easiest way back into the England team.

claretburns
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 334 times

Post by claretburns » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:15 am

Just having a chat with a Yorkshire supporter at work and we were discussing how Durham became first class team in 1992, but we couldn't find the criteria to make a counties team a first class team, for example if Durham were to fold what would other counties in the Minor Counties Championship have to do to replace them?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:16 am

maccclaret wrote:Where does that leave homegrown Hameed or homegrown Davies or homegrown Livingstone, or even homegrown Rob Jones who's made a promising start?

Is Jennings going to bat at 5? Or maybe 3, that representing the easiest way back into the England team.
Davies got his county cap yesterday and once over the injury problems we've got a hell of a batsman in Hameed. I'm not as big a fan of Livingston since seeing his tweets last month on the day of the East Lancs derby :D but if he gets a lot of runs for Lancs I might just forgive him. Not seen anything of Jones as yet.

ChrisG
Been Liked: 333 times
Has Liked: 345 times

Post by ChrisG » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:21 am

ClaretTony wrote: I'm not as big a fan of Livingston since seeing his tweets last month on the day of the East Lancs derby :D
Davies was at it as well on Instagram

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:28 am

ChrisG wrote:Davies was at it as well on Instagram
It's going worse - take that cap off him :D although to be fair he is from Darwen I think.

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:34 am

JarrowClaret wrote:Yorks have also nicked 2 or 3 from other Counties though Willey, Plunkett and Sidebottom are 3 names that spring to mind immediately.
Sidebottom's a Yorkshire product, he left (for Notts I think) then came back.

My mate bought his house but I don't think that's relevant.

maccclaret
Been Liked: 172 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by maccclaret » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:38 am

TheFamilyCat wrote:Sidebottom's a Yorkshire product, he left (for Notts I think) then came back.
I think you're thinking about Ryan Sidebottom, whereas the original comment was probably referring to Ryan Sidebottom.

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:43 am

maccclaret wrote:I think you're thinking about Ryan Sidebottom, whereas the original comment was probably referring to Ryan Sidebottom.
Are there two Ryan Sidebottoms?

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3863 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:48 am

It's great news for Lancs with Onions expected to be confirmed soon as well.

Lancs have too many homegrown players not quite at top level yet, playing with the better players can only help them.

Bordeauxclaret

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:03 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:Are there two Ryan Sidebottoms?
Funnily enough yes there are.
One is playing for Warwickshire, he's not played for Yorkshire though.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:07 pm

Don't think anyone can argue with the list of home-grown players that Yorkshire have produced. Lyth, Lees, Leaning, Bresnan, Bairstow, Root, Rashid, Coad, Fisher, Sidebottom, and others is a decent list, even if the well of batsman appears to have dried up a little more recently.

Disappointing that Lancashire still seem to be reliant on parachuting in players from outside their system to plaster over cracks. Given the size of Lancashire's natural catchment - from the Cumbrian mountains down to North Wales and virtually into the midlands around Crewe - their record since the generation of Atherton, Fairbrother, Martin, Chappell and Hegg is lamentable.

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:08 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:Funnily enough yes there are.
One is playing for Warwickshire, he's not played for Yorkshire though.
I did not know that. Does that make sense of this then because it threw me:
I think you're thinking about Ryan Sidebottom, whereas the original comment was probably referring to Ryan Sidebottom.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:14 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Leaving Durham and signing a 4-year deal with Lancs
Will he get in the team?
Will be good cover for Hameed I suppose if he is called up to England squad.

dpinsussex
Been Liked: 1047 times
Has Liked: 1187 times

Post by dpinsussex » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:31 pm

claretspice wrote:Don't think anyone can argue with the list of home-grown players that Yorkshire have produced. Lyth, Lees, Leaning, Bresnan, Bairstow, Root, Rashid, Coad, Fisher, Sidebottom, and others is a decent list, even if the well of batsman appears to have dried up a little more recently.

Disappointing that Lancashire still seem to be reliant on parachuting in players from outside their system to plaster over cracks. Given the size of Lancashire's natural catchment - from the Cumbrian mountains down to North Wales and virtually into the midlands around Crewe - their record since the generation of Atherton, Fairbrother, Martin, Chappell and Hegg is lamentable.
Anderson?

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:34 pm

claretspice wrote:Don't think anyone can argue with the list of home-grown players that Yorkshire have produced. Lyth, Lees, Leaning, Bresnan, Bairstow, Root, Rashid, Coad, Fisher, Sidebottom, and others is a decent list, even if the well of batsman appears to have dried up a little more recently.

What a load of crap. Yorkshire have produced in recent times but the as the biggest County by some distance with the biggest budgets it should do.

Lancs have a little problem letting players like Simpson (Haslingden) go to Middlesex and Barker (Enfield) to Warks etc but most of the team are from the County now. All counties use or have used Kolpaks but I'm not a big fan.

The Red rose have produced the best bowler ever for England and Flintoff who is top 3 best ever all rounders for England in recent times.

The 2nd best player Yorkies produced after Root was Hoggard.

Goobs
Been Liked: 1467 times
Has Liked: 997 times

Post by Goobs » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:43 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:What a load of crap. Yorkshire have produced in recent times but the as the biggest County by some distance with the biggest budgets it should do.

Lancs have a little problem letting players like Simpson (Haslingden) go to Middlesex and Barker (Enfield) to Warks etc but most of the team are from the County now. All counties use or have used Kolpaks but I'm not a big fan.

The Red rose have produced the best bowler ever for England and Flintoff who is top 3 best ever all rounders for England in recent times.

The 2nd best player Yorkies produced after Root was Hoggard.
Isn't Vaughan a Yorky?

Edit: Answered my own question. Born in Eccles but moved to Yorkshire when aged 9

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:46 pm

After the era of Atherton, Hegg, Martin etc. came Flintoff. After Flintoff came Anderson. After Anderson, with a bit of luck, comes Hameed.

I'm not saying that Lancashire have produced no one - they've produced a couple of outstanding players there, no doubt about it - my point is that the depth of talent Lancashire have produced in the last 20 years has been thin. In international terms, its been one a generation. Yorkshire have generally had a couple of representatives in the England test team (the idea that Hoggard was a higher calibre than Vaughan is pretty funny, I assume that's an oversight?). Yes, Yorkshire is a bigger county (although it shares substantial boundaries with 4 other first class counties, compared with 2 in Lancashire, so has nowhere near the hinterland catchment Lancashire does), but the budgets point is a total red herring.

Even the Lancashire committee would accept that this is an issue for Lancashire over a period of time. Its something Atherton addressed at some length in his autobiography 15 years ago and it hasn't greatly changed.

Bordeauxclaret

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:54 pm

Parachuting players in?

Like Brooks, Hodd, Plunkett, Willey and Kohler-Cadmore you mean?

Glass houses and all that.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:01 pm

Lancashire have put all their money into the ground in recent times where Yorkshire have ramped up debts, presumably all these stars like Willey coming in. The Australians won't be cheap that have been there in recent seasons or the Aussie coaches.
Yorks will have to cut back on player budgets while they sort their ground out while Lancs should be able to expand it.

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:02 pm

Noone has said that Yorkshire haven't brought in players from beyond the county boundary (although both Plunkett - a product of Durham, but also North Yorks cricket as he's from Teeside - and even more so Kohler-Cadmore, a product of Yorkshire age group cricket, are really Yorkshire's own), nor that a county team should be exclusively comprised of youth products.

But I think its fair to say that Yorkshire's external signings have supplemented a good home grown crop and made it a Championship winning team (now in decline, and Yorkshire must be careful they don't also opt for quick fixes). Lancashire have over a sustained period made external signings to cover the absence of quality in their home grown ranks in the first place. The point being that that is in contrast to the position in the mid 90s, when Lancashire were an example to all in how to blend home grown talent and external talent.

Bordeauxclaret

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:21 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:Lancashire have put all their money into the ground in recent times where Yorkshire have ramped up debts, presumably all these stars like Willey coming in. The Australians won't be cheap that have been there in recent seasons or the Aussie coaches.
Yorks will have to cut back on player budgets while they sort their ground out while Lancs should be able to expand it.
Yorkshire have clearly put all the focus on claiming a one day crown. Throwing as much money as possible at it. They still don't seem to have got over last seasons failures though when at one stage they looked like winning them all.
You can understand why they want it so badly. As impressive as winning the County Championship is it's a competition usually watched by one man and his dog.

Of course they'll claim they are not bothered about the one day stuff, until they play Lancs or get near the finals. Perhaps they call it the League Cup over there?

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:25 pm

I've just had a quick look at Hoggard and Vaughan's wiki pages for Test match stats and Hoggard had the better career for me. I liked watching both play as they were both easy on the eye but 248 wkts at 30s is better than 5719 runs at 41s for me in modern day cricket.

A quote about Hoggard on there- In a 2015 analysis, statistician Andrew Samson calculated that Hoggard was England's best bowler, in terms of the batting average of the batsmen he dismissed in his career.[17]

bedfords
Been Liked: 121 times
Has Liked: 96 times

Post by bedfords » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:31 pm

maccclaret wrote:I think you're thinking about Ryan Sidebottom, whereas the original comment was probably referring to Ryan Sidebottom.
:lol:

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5188 times
Has Liked: 804 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:37 pm

claretspice wrote: Yes, Yorkshire is a bigger county (although it shares substantial boundaries with 4 other first class counties, compared with 2 in Lancashire, so has nowhere near the hinterland catchment Lancashire does), but the budgets point is a total red herring.
Still banging that hilarious catchment area drum I see.

How big is it, all of North Wales, as far south as Worcestershire and as far north as the Shetland Islands?

timshorts
Been Liked: 413 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by timshorts » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:52 pm

maccclaret wrote:Where does that leave homegrown Hameed or homegrown Davies or homegrown Livingstone, or even homegrown Rob Jones who's made a promising start?
Glamorgan would like all of those, I'm sure. We'd claim Hameed as a South African. No-one would notice that Davies and Jones weren't two of our own. Livingstone would just have to change the spelling of his name to a welsh language version "Lufyngstwn".
This user liked this post: Quickenthetempo

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 2048 times

Post by LeadBelly » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:43 pm

My sympathies lie with Durham. I lived in the county for 5/6 years before they became a 1st class county & there was a lot of enthusiasm for cricket (playing/watching) around the old pit villages.
They've done remarkably well since they became a first class county and been champions 3 times already (equal with Glam, Leic, Sussex & above Hants, Derby, Glos, Nhants, Somerset). Also produced more than their fair share of England players.
Such a shame that they were crapped upon from a great height by ECB who (IMO) played a big part in the problems that DCCC got into.
Still- can't blame Lancs for joining the queue for taking some of the "spare" talent.

CleggHall
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 1050 times

Post by CleggHall » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:17 pm

Ben Stokes is a badly behaved Durham player.
Durham should be fined £100,000 and deducted 48 points next year for failing to control their player, a lesson must be set for recalcitrant counties!

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 2048 times

Post by LeadBelly » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:30 pm

When I saw Ben Stokes had been in some bother in Bristol- involving a 27 year old with facial injuries, I had to look up how old Marlon Samuels was but he's a few years beyond that.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:35 pm

Another non-Yorkshireman who has adopted the white rose having a dig at Lancs.

Another one for you - we've signed Graham Onions too. We must have similar cracks to those Willey & Plunkett plastered over.

tybfc
Been Liked: 1304 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by tybfc » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:04 pm

claretspice - given your obvious intelligence you have posted some absolute rubbish on this thread.

Keep bigging Yorkshire up. They could still be relegated tomorrow.

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2603 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Post by dandeclaret » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:26 pm

Lyth? Lees? Leaning? Coad? Fisher? Eh?
Croft, livingstone, Brown, hogg, TCP Smith would all line up against them. As well as Parry, Mahmood etc.

That’s before you get to Flintoff and England’s best ever bowler.

What a load of nonsense that Yorkie list above is. Root, Bairstow, and despite the ribbing Pies are the only ones worth noting.

Claretincraven
Been Liked: 130 times
Has Liked: 55 times

Post by Claretincraven » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:00 pm

tybfc wrote:claretspice - given your obvious intelligence you have posted some absolute rubbish on this thread.

Keep bigging Yorkshire up. They could still be relegated tomorrow.
No they can't. They were safe yesterday with the bonus points they got for bowling Essex out, given Somersets failure to get more than one batting point. Get your facts right.

durhamclaret
Been Liked: 253 times
Has Liked: 317 times

Post by durhamclaret » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:28 pm

Onions as well, what you think?

bedfords

Post by bedfords » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:14 pm

Gillespie, Farbrace and Moxon pulled Plunkett from the scrap heap of Durham's 2nd XI and was picked up after being released. Hardly cherry picking anther county's talent....

Willey came to progress his red ball cricket under Gillespie. He'd already been called up by England with the white ball so we have no case to cry when he gets called up, same with Buttler at Lancs.

Brooks wanted 1st division cricket, we offered him that and he came. Northants were compensated for both him and Willey.

Hoggard had a good England career but would personally have Sidebottom in my team in all formats. I'm sure most players would swap domestic one day trophies for World Cups.

dandeclaret

Post by dandeclaret » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:34 pm

Lancashire's last championship winning squad by the way....

Glen Chapple (Earby)
James Anderson (Burnley)
Karl Brown (Bolton)
Stephen Cheetham (Oldham)
Mark Chilton (Manchester Grammar School - born in Sheffield)
Stephen Croft (Blackpool)
Gareth Cross (Bury)
Kyle Hogg (Saddleworth High School - born in Birmingham)
Paul Horton (Liverpool Comp - born in Sydney)
Junaid Khan - Overseas Pro
Gary Keedy - Wakefield - 1 game for Yorkshire, 18 years for Lancashire
Simon Kerrigan (Preston)
Farveez Marahoof (Overseas Pro)
Sajid Mahmood (Bolton)
Stephen Moore (Signed from Worcestershire)
Oliver Newby (Blackburn)
Stephen Parry (Manchester)
Luke Proctor (Oldham)
Tom Smith (Liverpool)

Sort of debunks your one eyed argument Spice.....

Lancashire Cricket Club - Producer of England's Greatest Ever Bowler..... and in the modern era too.
Last edited by dandeclaret on Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:47 pm

dandeclaret wrote:Lancashire's last championship winning squad by the way....

Glenn Chapell (Earby)
James Anderson (Burnley)
Karl Brown (Bolton)
Stephen Cheetham (Oldham)
Mark Chilton (Manchester Grammar School - born in Sheffield)
Stephen Croft (Blackpool)
Gareth Cross (Bury)
Kyle Hogg (Saddleworth High School - born in Birmingham)
Paul Horton (Liverpool Comp - born in Sydney)
Junaid Khan - Overseas Pro
Gary Keedy - Wakefield - Lancashire Academy product
Simon Kerrigan (Preston)
Farveez Marahoof (Overseas Pro)
Sajid Mahmood (Bolton)
Stephen Moore (Signed from Worcestershire)
Oliver Newby (Blackburn)
Stephen Parry (Manchester)
Luke Proctor (Oldham)
Tom Smith (Liverpool)

Sort of debunks your one eyed argument Spice.....

Lancashire Cricket Club - Producer of England's Greatest Ever Bowler..... and in the modern era too.
Didn't Keedy come through the Yorkshire ranks and play for them before transferring?

bodge
Been Liked: 729 times
Has Liked: 475 times

Post by bodge » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:48 pm

Glenn Chapell ?

That's the equivalent of calling our manager Shaun Ditch.

As for Jennings, he's got technical deficiencies driving through the off side.

Any county coach worth his salt will post a backward point and cover point against a decent swing bowler and it will be good night Keaton.

dandeclaret

Post by dandeclaret » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:51 pm

You are right Family Cat - my mistake. 1 game played for Yorkshire. 1994

dandeclaret

Post by dandeclaret » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:52 pm

I like Shaun Ditch Bodge.....
This user liked this post: Quickenthetempo

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:56 pm

I don't think Oliver Newby will appreciate being linked with Blackburn. From Read and played for his local club until 18 or so.

bedfords

Post by bedfords » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:56 pm

Great research Daniel. 2 questions though. Was that your favourite championship winning team and 2ndly, how the **** did they manage to win it? :shock:

dandeclaret

Post by dandeclaret » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:57 pm

Official Cricinfo record says Blackburn Quickenthetempo

dandeclaret

Post by dandeclaret » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:00 pm

Timothy, yes, my favourite Championship winning team. With your new found love of 20-20, started by exposure to the Big Bash nearly 4 years ago now..... which is your favourite Yorkshire 20-20 winning side.

As for how did they manage to win it? You know the score on that - get some flat track bullies, and decent fast medium bowlers, with a couple of good spinners and as long as they're not at Yorkshire or Surrey, they're unlikely to get called up to the England squad to get found out - and then you just keep playing. On a serious note, look at Spice's list above of players he's produced to represent Yorkshire's academy - christ - he's not done a good job for your production line there has he?
This user liked this post: bedfords

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:32 pm

dandeclaret wrote:Official Cricinfo record says Blackburn Quickenthetempo
Obviously Reads not a big enough place but I thought Burnley would be nearer.

I wonder where they class the United youngster Grimshaw whos playing in Scotland from? Who is also from Read.