The Daily Mail - Have they learned nothing?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
starting_11
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 826 times

Re: The Daily Mail - Have they learned nothing?

Post by starting_11 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:42 am

Oh by the way, I fully support Ruth Davidsons bid (if/when she launches one) to become PM.

That makes me a funny kind of misogynist, racist homophobe doesn't it.

WadingInDeeper
Been Liked: 155 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by WadingInDeeper » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:43 am

thatdberight wrote: There's plenty to get outraged about. This isn't it. If they hadn't shown the gay couple, presumably there'd have been outrage that they were too homophobic to print it. Unless you're just outraged at the Daily Mail no matter what triggers you.
We would have been complaining that the Tories don't represent all areas of society.

starting_11

Post by starting_11 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:45 am

Crikey we're waiting a long time for a response.

You gone for a glass of milk?

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:46 am

A pointless and meaningless article by the DM - nothing more - just like this thread.

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:52 am

Damo wrote:Has the offending picture been deleted?
Will the guy being outed as a chubby chaser get his own outrage too?
It's a story about Tories getting ******. I don't see what's homophobic about any part of that article.
Just a lot of snow flakery from you and your mates Charlie.

Btw, I don't read the mail. I think it's a load of crap, most of the stories posted are just an attempt to trigger the left. Kind of like the guardian but on the opposite end of the political spectrum.
Wait. Did i say it was homophobic? Or are you just making that up?

They outted a gay man to his parents, his family, his friends, before he was ready to do that himself. He wasn't a public figure. It's not like he was william hague walking down the street holding hands with a guy. This was just some kid, probably in a strange city away from the people in his life who would do all the things they're doing to him because of his sexuality.

Sometimes i get it about people like you. Sometimes I understand when you're mocking the left for being outraged that the Washington Redskins won't change their name, or that a youtube streamer used the word nigger as an insult directed to no one inparticular. But other times you are just complete ***** with not an ounce of empathy in that rock of yours that's technically called a heart. Now is one of those times.

Maybe it's beyond you but i recommend you try to imagine what it would have been like for this teenager growing up gay in a household of ultra-conservatives who would refuse to even take your phone calls if you came out to them as gay. Then imagine a national ******* newspaper did that for you without your consent.

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:55 am

Imploding Turtle wrote:Wait. Did i say it was homophobic? Or are you just making that up?

They outted a gay man to his parents, his family, his friends, before he was ready to do that himself. He wasn't a public figure. It's not like he was william hague walking down the street holding hands with a guy. This was just some kid, probably in a strange city away from the people in his life who would do all the things they're doing to him because of his sexuality.

Sometimes i get it about people like you. Sometimes I understand when you're mocking the left for being outraged that the Washington Redskins won't change their name, or that a youtube streamer used the word nigger as an insult directed to no one inparticular. But other times you are just complete ***** with not an ounce of empathy in that rock of yours that's technically called a heart. Now is one of those times.

Maybe it's beyond you but i recommend you try to imagine what it would have been like for this teenager growing up gay in a household of ultra-conservatives who would refuse to even take your phone calls if you came out to them as gay. Then imagine a national ******* newspaper did that for you without your consent.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oTObCKSkaBs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
These 2 users liked this post: starting_11 bpgburn

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:57 am

tim_noone wrote:But your op contradicts that.
What about my OP contracticts what?

starting_11

Post by starting_11 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:57 am

That's brilliant!

taio

Post by taio » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:58 am

"Very little offends me". Aye.
These 5 users liked this post: starting_11 Damo tim_noone thatdberight RingoMcCartney

Walton
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 241 times

Post by Walton » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:04 pm

I can't imagine anything worse than being outed as a Tory against your will.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:05 pm

What the .......is wrong with these people? Tells me your offended.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:08 pm

taio wrote:"Very little offends me". Aye.
Do you not understand the difference between "very little" and "nothing"?

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:09 pm

tim_noone wrote:What the .......is wrong with these people? Tells me your offended.
Where did I claim not to be?

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:11 pm

I suspect most Daily Mail readers are homophobic.

Or at the very least, against Gay rights. The paper itself has never shown any support towards the LGBT community.

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2415 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:12 pm

fatboy47 wrote:She now sees benefit scroungers, rampaging immigrants and drug dealers behind every door
You mean that there aren't?!

You missed off the Islamic Terrorists and the GLHT's :lol: :lol: :lol:z
Last edited by RalphCoatesComb on Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

taio

Post by taio » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:12 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:Do you not understand the difference between "very little" and "nothing"?
Do you understand the difference between "very little" and "loads of stuff that immediately causes me to have a tantrum"?
This user liked this post: RingoMcCartney

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:13 pm

You mean Tories can be homosexual as well?

Reading this message board I got the impression that all Tories were strictly heterosexual folk who tipped disabled kids out of wheelchairs, hunted poor people on horseback with dogs and who set fire to Syrians in Dover.
These 2 users liked this post: Damo starting_11

Sidney1st
Been Liked: 3547 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Sidney1st » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:14 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:IF? :lol: His family isn't talking to him. He probably assumed that being in a city centre away from anyone he knows that he's be safe to be who he is among strangers.
But maybe you're right. Maybe he secretly wanted the Daily Mail to photograph him on a night out and come out to his bigotted family that way. Because that makes sense.
Maybe, just maybe, his family are more disappointed that they found out something this important via the media.
Have a little think about that one instead of calling them bigoted.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1175 times
Has Liked: 918 times

Post by Hipper » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:14 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:They outted a gay man to his parents, his family, his friends, before he was ready to do that himself.
It was probably insensitive rather than deliberate outing. How did the DM know he was not openly gay? I would reasonably assume that two men in a public place holding hands or kissing were openly gay.

Strictly speaking it appears newspapers are not obliged to seek permission to publish photos of people in public places:

http://lindsaydobsonphotography.com/blo ... ic-places/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

'For images captured in locations where there can be no reasonable expectation of privacy, the photographer does not need the permission of the individual(s) who appear in that photograph in order to publish it online, in a newspaper, textbook or in a magazine.'

The fellow who was photographed, as was pointed out earlier, surely has a duty of care for himself which he seems to have forgotten.

It is also true that this is (still) a sad indictment of our UK society. It's not left wing to be tolerant of differences; it's human.
This user liked this post: BurnleyFC

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1596 times
Has Liked: 888 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:16 pm

The Daily Mail ‘outed’ him?

How on earth were they supposed to assume that his family didn’t already know about him being gay in the first place?

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:16 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:Wait. Did i say it was homophobic? Or are you just making that up?

How do you know anything about this persons family?
Know them personally do you?
Must do if you're saying they're ultra conservative..

Calm yourself down.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:23 pm

taio wrote:Do you understand the difference between "very little" and "loads of stuff that immediately causes me to have a tantrum"?

Now you're just deflecting. Because you've accused me of contradicting myself yet i have demonstrated that i didn't contradict myself at all. And now you're embarrassed by it so you're bringing in another crowd pleasing term by accusing me of throwing a tantrum.

To clear things up for you though. Yes, not very many things offend me. But i'm not at all ashamed to say that one of the few things that does offend me is the private and personal details of someone's private life being publicly exposed in a manner that can cause them a lot of emotional harm. I was angry when the Daily Mail decided that they wanted to target an innocent trans woman in 2012 and expose her secret before she was emotionally ready to do that herself. I'm angry that they have done it again to this guy for absolutely no good reason at all. If they had done this to you, or anyone else on this board, i'd have been just as angry at that too.

I deeply value my own privacy. If this was done to me i'd be furious. And because i'm a decent human being i don't like it when i see other people being treated in a way that were it me being treated that way i'd dislike it. But maybe that's because i had influences around me when i was a child that told me to treat others how I would like to be treated. I'm sorry if you had no one to teach that to you.

There are very few things that offend me, nothing i've said contracticts that. Invasions of privacy is one of them. Journalistic malpractice is another. This is both.
This user liked this post: longsidepies

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:24 pm

Intelligence is wasted on the intelligent.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:25 pm

Sidney1st wrote:How do you know anything about this persons family?
Know them personally do you?
Must do if you're saying they're ultra conservative..

Calm yourself down.
“I’ve been open about sexuality to very few people, a couple of friends at most. My town is quite hostile to homosexuality and most of my family is as well,” explained the distraught delegate.

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:26 pm

Invasion of privacy?
Someone takes photo of crowd and its an invasion of privacy?
I suppose we'd all better ask the media to stop showing photos taken at sporting and musical events too..

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:26 pm

Sidney1st wrote:Maybe, just maybe, his family are more disappointed that they found out something this important via the media.
Have a little think about that one instead of calling them bigoted.
This actually made me laugh out loud.

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:27 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:“I’ve been open about sexuality to very few people, a couple of friends at most. My town is quite hostile to homosexuality and most of my family is as well,” explained the distraught delegate.
Ah so because he didn't want to be honest to his family its everyone else's fault?
If he'd spoken to them, maybe their attitudes would change.

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:28 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:This actually made me laugh out loud.
So do I at some of the guff you post.
Last edited by Sidney1st on Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:28 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:“I’ve been open about sexuality to very few people, a couple of friends at most. My town is quite hostile to homosexuality and most of my family is as well,” explained the distraught delegate.
But that says more about his family and location than the daily mail.
This user liked this post: starting_11

OffTheBar
Been Liked: 55 times
Has Liked: 13 times

Post by OffTheBar » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:29 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:And because i'm a decent human being
That actually made me laugh out loud.
These 4 users liked this post: starting_11 RingoMcCartney Imploding Turtle bpgburn

taio

Post by taio » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:30 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:Now you're just deflecting. Because you've accused me of contradicting myself yet i have demonstrated that i didn't contradict myself at all. And now you're embarrassed by it so you're bringing in another crowd pleasing term by accusing me of throwing a tantrum.

To clear things up for you though. Yes, not very many things offend me. But i'm not at all ashamed to say that one of the few things that does offend me is the private and personal details of someone's private life being publicly exposed in a manner that can cause them a lot of emotional harm. I was angry when the Daily Mail decided that they wanted to target an innocent trans woman in 2012 and expose her secret before she was emotionally ready to do that herself. I'm angry that they have done it again to this guy for absolutely no good reason at all. If they had done this to you, or anyone else on this board, i'd have been just as angry at that too.

I deeply value my own privacy. If this was done to me i'd be furious. And because i'm a decent human being i don't like it when i see other people being treated in a way that were it me being treated that way i'd dislike it. But maybe that's because i had influences around me when i was a child that told me to treat others how I would like to be treated. I'm sorry if you had no one to teach that to you.

There are very few things that offend me, nothing i've said contracticts that. Invasions of privacy is one of them. Journalistic malpractice is another. This is both.
I'm embarrassed :lol: :lol: :lol:

You say "very little offends me" whereas you prove otherwise on a daily basis.
This user liked this post: RingoMcCartney

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:34 pm

Starting 11, been out with the kids!

Sorry for being late and all that!

Its the Daily Mail, its like reading Breibart and that alex jones mouthpiece.

You want your news to tell you what you believe, not what is true.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:34 pm

tim_noone wrote:But that says more about his family and location than the daily mail.
Imagine if this was a footballer. A reporter somehow knows he's gay but that footballer is keeping it to himself for whatever reason. Does that mean it's OK and acceptable if the reporter sends a tweet outing that footballer? Or would it be ok to out him as part of a larger story about, well, nothing really?

Would you be OK if a Burnley footballer was outed in such a manner?

I remember the outrage on here when one of our players was outed as a homophobe. It's a shame he wasn't just being outed as gay and his private life being made very public because then I guess you'd all be OK with it.

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:36 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:You were referring to people, not acronyms. And no, i wasn't offended. Believe it or not very little offends me.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:39 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:What about my OP contracticts what?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PUT THE SPADE DOWN.!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:51 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:Imagine if this was a footballer. A reporter somehow knows he's gay but that footballer is keeping it to himself for whatever reason. Does that mean it's OK and acceptable if the reporter sends a tweet outing that footballer? Or would it be ok to out him as part of a larger story about, well, nothing really?

I remember the outrage on here when one of our players was outed as a homophobe. It's a shame he wasn't just being outed as gay and his private life being made very public because then I guess you'd all be OK with it.
To be honest nothing in life surprises me any more.and your old enough and intelligent enough not to believe everything you read in any newspaper or see on the news.I actually read the Daily mail...and there's a lot of sh.t written for sure,but I look on it as entertainment.
This user liked this post: starting_11

ClaretMoffitt
Been Liked: 1216 times
Has Liked: 807 times

Post by ClaretMoffitt » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:53 pm

“I’ve been open about sexuality to very few people, a couple of friends at most. My town is quite hostile to homosexuality and most of my family is as well,” explained the distraught delegate."

How is this still a thing in civilized society? It totally blows my mind.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:56 pm

ClaretMoffitt wrote:“I’ve been open about sexuality to very few people, a couple of friends at most. My town is quite hostile to homosexuality and most of my family is as well,” explained the distraught delegate."

How is this still a thing in civilized society? It totally blows my mind.
Religion and social conservatism mixed together.

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:02 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:Imagine if this was a footballer. A reporter somehow knows he's gay but that footballer is keeping it to himself for whatever reason. Does that mean it's OK and acceptable if the reporter sends a tweet outing that footballer? Or would it be ok to out him as part of a larger story about, well, nothing really?

You really don't understand the difference between "outed" and "reported", "public" and "private".

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:27 pm

One of the revellers could have been married and kissing someone else. Is that the Mails fault too ? The LET reported on someone who had been with horses in Blackburn. He hadn't told his family his was bestial. Is that the LET''s fault too ?

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:35 pm

Blackrod wrote:One of the revellers could have been married and kissing someone else. Is that the Mails fault too ? The LET reported on someone who had been with horses in Blackburn. He hadn't told his family his was bestial. Is that the LET''s fault too ?

Moffitt? ^^ This is why these attitudes still exist in civilised society. Because some people think adultery and a man committing the crime of bestiality is comparable with being homosexual.

HiroshimaClaret
Been Liked: 746 times
Has Liked: 927 times

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:41 pm

My 70 year old father and 74 year old step-mother read the Daily Mail and are both perfectly normal people. I have acquaintances who read the Guardian who are despicable and selfish people. We all choose to read what we read for a multitude of reasons. It is far too simplistic to label people this, that or otherwise.
These 2 users liked this post: gandhisflipflop tim_noone

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2317 times
Has Liked: 1399 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:42 pm

When I clicked this tread I thought "I bet imploding turtle started it". How right I were. I blame Donald Trump.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:44 pm

I blame brexit!

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:45 pm

When i saw that you had posted i didn't expect anything of you. And now that i read your post i realise i overestimated you.

Blackrod

Post by Blackrod » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:50 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:Moffitt? ^^ This is why these attitudes still exist in civilised society. Because some people think adultery and a man committing the crime of bestiality is comparable with being homosexual.
You are actually missing the point and I just knew you would twist it into this. This is why I used this as an example. You have proved you look for something 'controversial' to twist and get offended about.

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:50 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:Moffitt? ^^ This is why these attitudes still exist in civilised society. Because some people think adultery and a man committing the crime of bestiality is comparable with being homosexual.
Moffitt? This is why IT is a primary school level debater. Because instead of picking apart the real flaw in an argument which is that reporting a crime is clearly different than reporting non-criminal behaviour which an individual may wish to keep private, he berates the poster for an equivalence they never made.

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1967 times
Has Liked: 1132 times

Post by FCBurnley » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:55 pm

IT, Do you read Pink News on a regular basis ?

Blackrod

Post by Blackrod » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:57 pm

IT you chose to ignore the question of whether it would be the paper's fault if someone had been exposed on camera kissing another woman ? Probably because it doesn't fit your agenda. What about kissing a person from another race that a family didn't approve of ? If it's done in public it is the individuals responsibility.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:58 pm

thatdberight wrote:Moffitt? This is why IT is a primary school level debater. Because instead of picking apart the real flaw in an argument which is that reporting a crime is clearly different than reporting non-criminal behaviour which an individual may wish to keep private, he berates the poster for an equivalence they never made.
Welcome to the wonderful world of Imploding Troll's, conversational rabbit hole! ;)