If he goes?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1486 times
Has Liked: 1847 times

Re: If he goes?

Post by Woodleyclaret » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:15 am

I am expecting our chairman to increase Seans wages and contract.He has unfinished business with us and deserves rewarding for his efforts. This is the way forward .We all know what happened last time we allowed a successful manager to leave .

Diesel
Been Liked: 1228 times
Has Liked: 391 times

Post by Diesel » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:20 am

I'd like to see someone like Andy Payton given the opportunity, or Paul Merson, perhaps?

IndigoLake
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 832 times

Post by IndigoLake » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:22 am

As I said back in June when we had a similar discussion on here:

Quique Sánchez Flores (currently manager of Espanyol).

He's managed in the Premier League (albeit only one season) with Watford. They finished 13th and he got them to the semi-final of the FA cup - not too shabby. He's widely considered to have done quite well since coming to Espanyol who had been increasingly poor before his arrival (although they've had a fairly slow start so far this season). He took them to 8th place in La Liga last season. He has generally made them much more solid and harder to beat (sound familiar?). He's 52 years old so has a decent amount of experience having managed in Spain, Portgual, UAE and England. He speaks good English as well.

Don't think it's a very realistic option - I doubt we'll bring in a foreign manager. However, I think he'd do well for us and wouldn't be too drastic of a change from Sean Dyche if we are seeking some form of continuation.

UpTheBeehole
Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 496 times

Post by UpTheBeehole » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:27 am

These 2 users liked this post: Rick_Muller FactualFrank

Greeny
Been Liked: 55 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by Greeny » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:56 am

One future option who has quietly been going about his business and starting to build has managerial momentum is Paul Cook now at Wigan.

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1600 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:00 am

I seriously hope Sean doesn’t go. :cry:

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3595 times
Has Liked: 1028 times

Post by jedi_master » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:03 am

We should be offering Dyche a £3m loyalty payment now if he stays, and an agreed £5m bonus to keep us up.

In the grand scheme of things, it's nothing to us anymore - but if he agreed to that then we are secure with him for another full season.

turfmoorboy
Been Liked: 3 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by turfmoorboy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:38 am

Diego Simeone, but Dyche won't be going to Leicester so don't worry. :roll:

Wokingclaret
Been Liked: 297 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Wokingclaret » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:41 am

Diesel wrote:I'd like to see someone like Andy Payton given the opportunity, or Paul Merson, perhaps?

Jesus, I would take up betting, only one way DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNNNNN

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 186 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:42 am

I cannot see Sean moving to Leicester for the following reasons.

1 He has great integrity and would not leave mid season.

2 He appreciates that is important to have a good Board to work with.

3 The Board knows what motivates him and so far their methods seem to be working

4 He won't work for a bunch of trigger happy crackpots again like Watford who removed him to employ a chump like Zola or whoever it was.

5 If he was motivated by money he would be long gone by now.

6 Even though they are in the bottom three, Leicester probably THINK they should be in Europe. Sean has no Euro experience as a player or manager.

7 Sean does not seem to have any first hand experience of European leagues or contacts abroad to tap up players.

8 When the job came up previously and Ranieri got it, Dyche was supposedly a candidate and the Leicester fans were very anti the potential appointment. He won't forget that.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:01 pm

Ronnie Jepson.

mickleoverclaret
Been Liked: 397 times
Has Liked: 431 times

Post by mickleoverclaret » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:02 pm

Would have a look at Michael O'Neill

Stan Tastic
Been Liked: 444 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by Stan Tastic » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:15 pm

The usual mental suggestions but David Moyes?

He had Sunderland relegated before they'd kicked a ball last season such was his negativity.

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2327 times
Has Liked: 1401 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:18 pm

My shortlist for what it's worth.

Marcelo Bielsa
The 2 guys who were at Lincoln.
Michael Duff.

I honestly don't know who would take over. It doesn't bare thinking about

taio
Been Liked: 3240 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:23 pm

Stan Tastic wrote:The usual mental suggestions but David Moyes?

He had Sunderland relegated before they'd kicked a ball last season such was his negativity.
It"s not mental at all. Though would be controversial. He's proven his worth at PL level and has vast experience. Yeah, his time at Sunderland didn't reflect on him at all well, but there were certainly other factors like the club being knackered. Generally speaking managers can do well at one club and less so at another. Got to look at the broader picture rather than narrowly at what he did at sunderland.

jlup1980
Been Liked: 856 times
Has Liked: 529 times

Post by jlup1980 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:24 pm

IndigoLake wrote:As I said back in June when we had a similar discussion on here:

Quique Sánchez Flores (currently manager of Espanyol).

He's managed in the Premier League (albeit only one season) with Watford. They finished 13th and he got them to the semi-final of the FA cup - not too shabby. He's widely considered to have done quite well since coming to Espanyol who had been increasingly poor before his arrival (although they've had a fairly slow start so far this season). He took them to 8th place in La Liga last season. He has generally made them much more solid and harder to beat (sound familiar?). He's 52 years old so has a decent amount of experience having managed in Spain, Portgual, UAE and England. He speaks good English as well.

Don't think it's a very realistic option - I doubt we'll bring in a foreign manager. However, I think he'd do well for us and wouldn't be too drastic of a change from Sean Dyche if we are seeking some form of continuation.
That's a great shout Indigo. I'd be gutted if Sean left but I thought Flores was great at Watford. They were never in trouble and they got to the semis of the FA Cup as you said. The big question is whether Burnley is a step up from Espanyol. He'd certainly be a name I'd like to see in the frame if push comes to shove though.
This user liked this post: IndigoLake

Brunlea
Been Liked: 54 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by Brunlea » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:37 pm

Hopefully he won’t go yet but when he does I actually have a lot of faith in the current board to appoint a high calibre manager going on their recent choices.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:46 pm

tim_noone wrote:Harry redknapp
What????? Harry 'I've never really won sod all despite everyone rating me highly' Redknapp? If there is a more overated manager in the history of football it is Redknapp.
Anyway all this is pointless because there has been no link yet apart from in the heads of the media. We really must stop getting in a state every time a job comes up, it's the result of having a great manager I know but just let happen what happens, then we'll discuss his replacement (and only then).
This user liked this post: Stalbansclaret

Foshiznik
Been Liked: 722 times
Has Liked: 2027 times
Location: Computer matrix, IP not found- current code: 00101110100101001100100 1011101010100010101101010100100

Post by Foshiznik » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:46 pm

No mention of Brian Laws?

Espia
Been Liked: 88 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by Espia » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:49 pm

He'd be mad to go. He needs to sign for another 5 years and get his family relocated in the beautiful Lancashire countryside #happiness.

Stan Tastic
Been Liked: 444 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by Stan Tastic » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:53 pm

taio wrote:It"s not mental at all. Though would be controversial. He's proven his worth at PL level and has vast experience. Yeah, his time at Sunderland didn't reflect on him at all well, but there were certainly other factors like the club being knackered. Generally speaking managers can do well at one club and less so at another. Got to look at the broader picture rather than narrowly at what he did at sunderland.

IndigoLake
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 832 times

Post by IndigoLake » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:56 pm

jlup1980 wrote:That's a great shout Indigo. I'd be gutted if Sean left but I thought Flores was great at Watford. They were never in trouble and they got to the semis of the FA Cup as you said. The big question is whether Burnley is a step up from Espanyol. He'd certainly be a name I'd like to see in the frame if push comes to shove though.
Hard to say whether he'd see Burnley as a step up from Espanyol. We may have a smaller stadium but we have a bigger transfer budget and...it's the Premier League. A lot of managers will find that attractive, as good as La Liga is. You'd hope that whoever we do want after Dyche will look at the job and realise we're a club that doesn't hire and fire on a whim - that should be very appealing too. But like I said, I think we'll be looking to managers closer to home though I think Flores is worthy of consideration.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:57 pm

Got to be Dwight Yorke.

He has all the attributes to be a top, top manager for us. His wealth of experience around the top flight and Europe speaks for itself.
Whilst his willingness and determination to work his way up the leagues to gain experience has to be admired, I think it is a real positive on his CV.

If we don't even interview him ( he shouldn't need an interview IMO ) then I will not give another penny to a club who's board clearly makes decisions purely based on race.

Eloise Laws
Been Liked: 329 times
Has Liked: 251 times

Post by Eloise Laws » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:27 pm

Now that the Burnley Express are reporting that 'The Gaffer is ignoring the links with Leicester" speculation Can we please close this thread and concentrate on the things we know are happening like The Mighty Clarets playing the Blue Mooners on Saturday!
This user liked this post: houseboy

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:47 pm

MACCA wrote:Got to be Dwight Yorke.

He has all the attributes to be a top, top manager for us. His wealth of experience around the top flight and Europe speaks for itself.
Whilst his willingness and determination to work his way up the leagues to gain experience has to be admired, I think it is a real positive on his CV.

If we don't even interview him ( he shouldn't need an interview IMO ) then I will not give another penny to a club who's board clearly makes decisions purely based on race.
What sort of a post is this? First off why are we 'interviewing' for a job that's not available? Secondly why are the board racist if they don't choose a black manager? Stop sniffing glue.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2829 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:50 pm

Stan Tastic wrote:The usual mental suggestions but David Moyes?

The Moyes thing is fascinating. His record, Sunderland apart, is really rather good - exceptional at both Preston and Everton, and perfectly respectable in short spells at both Man U (win% similar to LVG) and Sociedad (win % similar to Pulis at WBA). I don't think anyone can seriously dispute that. Anyone who has ever properly watched Sean Dyche on the touchline will know what an utterly misguided insinuation that meme of Moyes on the touchline at United is.

As for his "negativity", there is a kernel of truth in this, in the sense that after getting raw treatment at United and at Sociedad, he clearly walked into a job at Sunderland which had been misrepresented, and the possibility that he's still scarred by that is the real negative about Moyes. Anyone who interviewed him would want to see the whites of his eyes that he's over it and he's got back the swagger that any manager needs to be successful.

But the comments that supposedly "relegated Sunderland" before a ball was kicked need placing in context. He was asked if supporters should fear another relegation scrap after a poor start to the season, 10 days before the close of the transfer window when he was discovering that the club's proposed transfer budget was a fraction of what they'd led him to believe when he interviewed.

What he said was "Well, they would probably be right to because that's where they've been every other year for the last four years, so why would it suddenly change? "I think it will be, I don't think you can hide the facts, that will be the case, yes. People will be flat because they are hoping that something is going to dramatically change - it can't dramatically change, it can't."

You can find interviews from Dyche from about the same date which say very similar things - we'll be in a relegation fight, that's reality, and we're struggling to add quality to the squad. Perhaps he was a bit careworn and showed a bit of frustration, but the idea he had Sunderland relegated is nonsense.

If we can find a manager with a more impressive CV and appoint him, then fantastic. But that would be some CV.

keith1879
Been Liked: 262 times
Has Liked: 366 times

Post by keith1879 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:51 pm

houseboy wrote:What sort of a post is this? First off why are we 'interviewing' for a job that's not available? Secondly why are the board racist if they don't choose a black manager? Stop sniffing glue.
Do you have a problem with glue-sniffers? This is a very druggist posting.

Suppose I'd better add a smiley just in case anyone thinks I'm being serious. ;)

claretspice
Been Liked: 2829 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:52 pm

Eloise Laws wrote:Now that the Burnley Express are reporting that 'The Gaffer is ignoring the links with Leicester" speculation Can we please close this thread and concentrate on the things we know are happening like The Mighty Clarets playing the Blue Mooners on Saturday!
Nothing wrong with a thread speculating on who might replace Dyche if he does leave. Its an interesting conversation because the one thing almost as certain as Burnley playing City on Saturday is that we will need a new manager at some point in the next 18 months or so.

What Dyche has said in his press conference is what he usually says - its all speculation, I'm concentrating on my job here. He hasn't ruled himself out at all, and nor would I expect him to.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6485 times
Has Liked: 2910 times

Post by Steve1956 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:52 pm

Think we should go for someone who know's this club inside and out if and when Dyche leaves,a fella all our support has a soft spot for.......I give you the one the only ....Stan the man Ternent.

JTClaret
Been Liked: 181 times
Has Liked: 119 times

Post by JTClaret » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:54 pm

I'd imagine the club already have a shortlist - I'd be surprised and disappointed if they didn't.
Dyche has been here a long time in managerial terms and is linked every time.

It WOULD have to be a manager who would stay and be capable if we got relegated. You have to be realistic, it can't be said we are where we are because of Dyche but we would stay and get better if he left.
Also whoever said we are bigger than Watford needs to remember we are 'little old Burnley' and be proud of it, we are probably the same size as Watford.

I'd have said Moyes would be a good fit, however I believe we need someone with charisma and enthusiasm, and as we saw with Sunderland, Moyes doesn't have that.

UpTheBeehole
Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 496 times

Post by UpTheBeehole » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:00 pm

Bielsa. Our players aren't scared of putting a shift in, and he'll love that.

It's not working for him at Lille, and he'll jump at the chance to work with Dean Marney.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3800 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:28 pm

TsarBomba wrote:The same Nagelsman that is being lined up for Bayern?

And why on earth have you plumped for Gasperini? Do you even know a thing about him? Or is it because his name sounds exotic?

You can't genuinely believe the drivel you spout, can you?
Atalanta have done very well under him.

Foulthrow
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 1518 times

Post by Foulthrow » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:29 pm

If Sean Dyche leaves BFC for Leicester then he is not the man that I suspect he actually is.

It would go against everything that he has said and done whilst BFC manager.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1922 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:31 pm

:roll:

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3800 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:31 pm

ClaretLoup wrote:I cannot see Sean moving to Leicester for the following reasons.

1 He has great integrity and would not leave mid season.

2 He appreciates that is important to have a good Board to work with.

3 The Board knows what motivates him and so far their methods seem to be working

4 He won't work for a bunch of trigger happy crackpots again like Watford who removed him to employ a chump like Zola or whoever it was.

5 If he was motivated by money he would be long gone by now.

6 Even though they are in the bottom three, Leicester probably THINK they should be in Europe. Sean has no Euro experience as a player or manager.

7 Sean does not seem to have any first hand experience of European leagues or contacts abroad to tap up players.

8 When the job came up previously and Ranieri got it, Dyche was supposedly a candidate and the Leicester fans were very anti the potential appointment. He won't forget that.
Like all the Burnley fans who thought Dyches football was negative and boring when he first came in, now they think its the best style of play ever.

Fake fickle fans, I suppose that's what happens when you get to the PL and attendances double.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10237 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:32 pm

He won't.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:13 pm

houseboy wrote:What sort of a post is this? First off why are we 'interviewing' for a job that's not available? Secondly why are the board racist if they don't choose a black manager? Stop sniffing glue.
I'd be snapping Dwight up now whilst we can. It's only a matter of time before he lands a big job, and is extremely successful, why can't that be with us?

And course if we don't at least interview it's because of his skin colour, what other reason would we instantly write him off before he has even managed?

9thMay1987
Been Liked: 70 times

Post by 9thMay1987 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:03 pm

"If he goes" and he may well this time as his profile is currently very high.

Wilder from Sheffield Utd would be good, but perhaps reluctant to move.

The other would be the ex Southampton manager who almost won the league cup and was unfortunate to lose his job.

PaintYorkClaretnBlue
Been Liked: 662 times
Has Liked: 1220 times

Post by PaintYorkClaretnBlue » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:14 pm

MACCA wrote:I'd be snapping Dwight up now whilst we can. It's only a matter of time before he lands a big job, and is extremely successful, why can't that be with us?

And course if we don't at least interview it's because of his skin colour, what other reason would we instantly write him off before he has even managed?
Leave him alone..... :lol:

Dyched
Been Liked: 1922 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:20 pm

Let's clone the ginger messiah to be used for future generations.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:47 pm

PaintYorkClaretnBlue wrote:Leave him alone..... :lol:
Booo, do I have to? Ok, I'll put him back now.

Ps I use barbless hooks, so I am thoughtful ;)

Putneyclaret
Been Liked: 12 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by Putneyclaret » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:00 pm

Paul Cook did a great job at Portsmouth and seems to be DK at Wigan but it would be a big step-up.

Claret&Green
Been Liked: 53 times
Has Liked: 24 times

Post by Claret&Green » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:16 pm

I think it has already been decided that Michael Duff will step up for the remainder of the season, but Scholes could be a reasonably high profile enough replacement, would have got Latics job if caretaker hadn't done such a good job.

Saxoman
Been Liked: 575 times
Has Liked: 147 times

Post by Saxoman » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:59 pm

Going off his press conference remarks, I don't reckon he's going. Rightly so, as Leicester isn't the step up he deserves. If he were to go there, it would only be a geographical decision.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11034 times
Has Liked: 5645 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:25 pm

Dyche is a very intelligent fellow, no way he'll go to Leicester - zero job security. If he has us in the top ten at the end of the season I suspect he will have better choices

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:25 pm

Oh for peters sake...he ain't going anywhere :D

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1696 times
Has Liked: 789 times

Post by warksclaret » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:30 pm

Listening to Leicester Sound on the way home from work tonight Chris Coleman was being talked about as a strong front runner, and they were not ruling out Ancellotti

Vintage Claret
Been Liked: 932 times
Has Liked: 607 times

Post by Vintage Claret » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:40 pm

Life long Everton fan in our office reckons Koeman will have gone by this time next week if their euro match tonight and next 2 PL games (v Arsenal and Chelsea) go badly.
He reckons Benitez has been linked already but IF Everton come in for SD I can't see him turning that opportunity down, (or Newcastle IF that job becomes vacant and is offered)
We can 'if and but' all night and of course we fans will speculate on a future without SD at the helm and who might take over but no point worrying about it until anything actually happens, and anyway..

"The Longside of Burnley will always be there"

bartons baggage
Been Liked: 597 times
Has Liked: 541 times

Post by bartons baggage » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:05 pm

Vintage Claret wrote:Life long Everton fan in our office reckons Koeman will have gone by this time next week if their euro match tonight and next 2 PL games (v Arsenal and Chelsea) go badly.
He reckons Benitez has been linked already but IF Everton come in for SD I can't see him turning that opportunity down, (or Newcastle IF that job becomes vacant and is offered)
We can 'if and but' all night and of course we fans will speculate on a future without SD at the helm and who might take over but no point worrying about it until anything actually happens, and anyway..

"The Longside of Burnley will always be there"
Um pa pa brother.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:08 pm

MACCA wrote:I'd be snapping Dwight up now whilst we can. It's only a matter of time before he lands a big job, and is extremely successful, why can't that be with us?

My point is we don't at this time need a manager. We can't snap up someone we don't need. Your post reads like Dyche has gone.
As for not interviewing him even if Dyche went he might not apply for the job. He might not want it. Your post smacks of extreme political correctness where someone should get a job just BECAUSE of their skin colour.