Everton

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
taio
Been Liked: 3240 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Re: Everton

Post by taio » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:08 am

Rick_Muller wrote:I stand corrected. This article describes Everton as the 4th biggest club, above Man City, Newcastle; Sunderland; Spurs etc

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 70655.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm just going to sit and wait for Koeman to be potted and for Everton to go in for Pep, as Everton are a bigger club...

Of course, thats nonsense because it is all subjective, I am merely asking on what basis Everton are a bigger club for the main reason that most people use bigger to be synonymous with better, for which I dont believe is the case with Everton - so yes I agree they are bigger in many subjective arguments, but better, nah not for me.
Personally I no longer regard Everton as a bigger club than City. And the article you have linked which is four years old, and of course City have continued to grow hugely in that time, says this:

"By the time the competition had matured, a Big Four dominated, with Chelsea replacing Everton and Spurs. Those two are now back in the trophy hunt, but have been overtaken by Manchester City."

But we weren't comparing those two clubs. We were comparing Everton against Burnley/Leicester. Of course it's a subjective view. What is your subjective view of how Everton isn't bigger than Burnley?

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32408 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:13 am

Woodleyclaret wrote:Leicester did some extremely creative accounting Harry Rednaps dog would have been envious of, writing off millions of debt just a few years ago.
By rights they should have joined Pompey in Div2 ,for breaching the financia regulations.
They and Ipswich went into administration in the 2002/03 season and came out of it smelling of roses. Leicester finished up getting the new ground for virtually nothing. It was these two clubs, above all others, that forced the league's hand and saw the introduction of points penalties, but Ipswich & Leicester had got away with it.

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2633 times
Has Liked: 6448 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:19 am

taio wrote:But we weren't comparing those two clubs. We were comparing Everton against Burnley/Leicester. Of course it's a subjective view. What is your subjective view of how Everton isn't bigger than Burnley?
Rick_Muller wrote:I don’t understand the hype about Everton. Can someone explain why he would want to go there?
I could pick many differing metrics to favour my argument as you could choose ones to favour yours - and that would get us nowhere. You mentioned the size of the club in response to my original question (above), I've tried to answer that and I have acknowledged that the general consensus is that the subjective view is that Everton are a bigger club, but I dont agree that bigger is synonymous with better.

Could you tell me why Everton are a better club than Burnley then? As that returns to my original question regarding why Everton?

taio
Been Liked: 3240 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:25 am

Rick_Muller wrote:I could pick many differing metrics to favour my argument as you could choose ones to favour yours - and that would get us nowhere. You mentioned the size of the club in response to my original question (above), I've tried to answer that and I have acknowledged that the general consensus is that the subjective view is that Everton are a bigger club, but I dont agree that bigger is synonymous with better.

Could you tell me why Everton are a better club than Burnley then? As that returns to my original question regarding why Everton?
Which say 3 metrics would favour your view?

You've said better. I said bigger.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:28 am

Rick_Muller wrote:I could pick many differing metrics to favour my argument as you could choose ones to favour yours - and that would get us nowhere. You mentioned the size of the club in response to my original question (above), I've tried to answer that and I have acknowledged that the general consensus is that the subjective view is that Everton are a bigger club, but I dont agree that bigger is synonymous with better.

How about because they've finished higher than Burnley in every season for at least the last 40 years?
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone Rick_Muller

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:40 am

Tall Paul wrote:How about because they've finished higher than Burnley in every season for at least the last 40 years?
That's got to be game set n match?
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

Rick_Muller

Post by Rick_Muller » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:46 am

Tall Paul wrote:How about because they've finished higher than Burnley in every season for at least the last 40 years?
How about we’re currently 7th in the table and they’re where exactly...?

Of course I’m being facetious, but I am asking what makes Everton a better option (club) now for SD and going forward? He wasn’t a manager 40 years ago was he...

Rick_Muller

Post by Rick_Muller » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:54 am

taio wrote:Which say 3 metrics would favour your view?

You've said better. I said bigger.
% of population of town/city supporting the club
Profit
Current league position

Can you answer why better, now - as in currently, and not historically (I have acknowledged the subjective view that they are bigger)?

Just want someone to explain to me why Everton are better for SD now? Without getting confused between a bigger club and a better club - because bigger is not synonymous with better.

I am open to being persuaded, so convince me

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:58 am

You're trying to argue that two 12" pizzas are bigger than one 18" pizza because two is bigger than one.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32408 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:59 am

Rick_Muller wrote:How about we’re currently 7th in the table and they’re where exactly...?

Of course I’m being facetious, but I am asking what makes Everton a better option (club) now for SD and going forward? He wasn’t a manager 40 years ago was he...
Big club in every sense and now with the money to go with it which is going to lead to a new big stadium. Not been out of the top flight since the 1950s, although they had a couple of scares in the 1990s. A manager like Dyche would not land a top six club, I'd suggest Everton is next best to that top six, not because they finished seventh last season but because I think they are the next biggest club in the league. Huge history, passionate fans, even if they do hold young children and fight at the same time.

That job, if it were to become vacant, has a hell of a lot going for it. And the reason they are low in the table right now might be the reason they start looking soon for a new manager.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2596 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:02 am

Just a quick reminder, being 'bigger' counts for s**t, except to squabbling fans. There's a reason Bournemouth sign superior footballers to Aston Villa or Sheff Wednesday and it's not because of the size of their stadium, the number of pots they've won or some obscure stat about catchment area percentages.

Pay the money and the best players and managers will follow.
This user liked this post: Falcon

Rick_Muller

Post by Rick_Muller » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:27 am

ClaretTony wrote:Big club in every sense and now with the money to go with it which is going to lead to a new big stadium. Not been out of the top flight since the 1950s, although they had a couple of scares in the 1990s. A manager like Dyche would not land a top six club, I'd suggest Everton is next best to that top six, not because they finished seventh last season but because I think they are the next biggest club in the league. Huge history, passionate fans, even if they do hold young children and fight at the same time.

That job, if it were to become vacant, has a hell of a lot going for it. And the reason they are low in the table right now might be the reason they start looking soon for a new manager.
All defining how big they are, but not why they are better ;)

I get your point though, and I understand why it may be a good move for SD as opposed to Leicester for example. I am playing devils advocate here though when I ask why they are better, as you said yourself they have fans who attack players with babies! We have idiots too I know, but think of the babies CT... :)

Guich
Been Liked: 472 times
Has Liked: 598 times

Post by Guich » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:45 am

I think Everton would be a very good fit for Sean.

Their best period was under Moyes, when they didn't exactly play expansive football. Moyes was a good manager but was doomed at United when he addressed his first press conference 'Morning Ladies' and showed Ferdinand and Vidic videos of how Everton defended :)

Sean's team plays similarly to Moyes' Everton and the fans would take to him as we (mostly) have.

Leicester, on the other hand, Sean will not go to that horrible little club in a million years.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:57 am

The 'fan' who is not fit to be a father will hopefully have the child taken away from his m and be banned for life. What an absolute disgrace.

Chobulous
Been Liked: 955 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by Chobulous » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:24 am

Blackrod wrote:The 'fan' who is not fit to be a father will hopefully have the child taken away from his m and be banned for life. What an absolute disgrace.
Ban anounced

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41691580" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No mention of Ashley Williams

Claret-On-A-T-Rex
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 832 times

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:42 am

Let's hope the Everton players involved get banned for life too.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2335 times
Has Liked: 1040 times

Post by Clarets4me » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:10 pm

Heard on " 5 live " just now that following the disgraceful, chaotic scenes at Goodison last night, the club had identifed a male, who will be banned from attending future Everton fixtures...thought they meant Koeman ..
These 3 users liked this post: Sidney1st Rick_Muller Colburn_Claret

piston broke
Been Liked: 1447 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:16 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:He also spoke of Keano being "torn apart" tonight, so bad was his performance. He was made to look pretty ordinary, to be fair.
It just proved how much our defensive team ethic worked for Keane. Tonight he was left isolated against a very good forward and wasn't up to it.

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:11 am

Blackrod wrote:The 'fan' who is not fit to be a father will hopefully have the child taken away from his m and be banned for life. What an absolute disgrace.
It wasn't his fault apparently.
It was Everton's for not shutting a gate, and Eric Cantonas
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/im ... e-11383941" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:39 am

Done himself no favours with that article. I'm not sure he's intelligent enough to be a Father. Poor child. No doubt he will end up on 'celebrity ' big brother.
This user liked this post: Damo

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:01 pm

Regarding the football, how did Ashley Williams avoid a ban, likewise, plenty of the other players?

I thought if you throw a punch it's a ban.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:02 pm

Also, from the BBC:

"Former Everton boss David Moyes is being lined up for a return to Goodison Park as the pressure increases on Toffees manager Ronald Koeman. (Sunday Mirror)"

Sidney1st
Been Liked: 3547 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Sidney1st » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:10 pm

Rick_Muller wrote:How about we’re currently 7th in the table and they’re where exactly...?

I can answer that one.

Everton have a superior youth system/academy.
Superior training facilities.
Planning permission given for what will definitely be a superior stadium.
Far superior budget.
Better players overall.

All they really need is for either Koeman or his successor to actually replace Lukaku and they'll be off.

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 494 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:38 pm

Only just picking up on threads after returning from holiday. Nearly choked reading someone suggesting Leicester where bigger than Everton. What!!! Think their just behind Arsenal as the longest established top flight club. A massive club every bit as big as their neighbours across the Park. The great side of the 80's would have gone on to great things if it wasn't for English teams being banned from European competitions.