Keep quiet please or get a blue card .....

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2105 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Keep quiet please or get a blue card .....

Post by bfccrazy » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:57 am

I haven't seen this mentioned yet after aquick search.

The FA will be bringing in new laws for youth football which will ban all sliding tackles - not allow any parents or COACHES to give any instructions during a game .... And introduce a blue card - sin bin for kids.

Oh, any team losing by 4 goals get an extra player til the defecit is 3 goals ...

Here's a list of all the new changes:

-Silent sidelines rule
Spectators are encouraged to applaud both teams (e.g.. clap when a goal is scored) but must not shot or call out. [Law 1]

-Slide tackle rule
On medical advice, no slide tackles are allowed. A free kick will be given in every instance. [Law 12]

-Blue card rule
A blue card is shown for any cautionable offence resulting in a 2 minute Sin Bin (5 minutes at 9v9). [Law 12].

-Respect marks rule
After every match, referees will marks to players, coaches and spectators from both teams. [Law 12]

-Retreat line rule
When goalkeeper has possession, opposition must retreat to halfway. Keeper must pass to own player in own half. [Law 16]

-Pass back rule
Because goalkeepers need to practice their footwork, they cannot pick up the ball from a pass back. [Law 12]

-No instructions rule
Coaches may ask questions that prompt players to think for themselves but must not shout instructions during matches. [Law 1]

-Equal playing time rule
All squad members must receive equal playing time with at least 50% per player for each game. [Law 3]

-All positions rule
All squad members must be given regular experience playing in all positions, including goalkeeper. [Law 3]

-Mixed teams rule
To maximise competition, clubs must field teams of similar ability - ie. not ‘A’ and ‘B’ teams. [Law 3]

-Power play rule
If any team goes 4 goals ahead, the other team may field an extra player until the goal difference is reduced to 3 goals. [Law 3]

-Equal numbers rule
If a team has too few players, the other must lend them willing subs or withdraw players to make numbers even. [Law 3]

Only a matter of time before penalties will be given against kids for wearing black boots.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32526 times
Has Liked: 5276 times

Re: Keep quiet please or get a blue card .....

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:02 am

bfccrazy wrote:I haven't seen this mentioned yet after aquick search.

The FA will be bringing in new laws for youth football which will ban all sliding tackles - not allow any parents or COACHES to give any instructions during a game .... And introduce a blue card - sin bin for kids.

Oh, any team losing by 4 goals get an extra player til the defecit is 3 goals ...

-Silent sidelines rule
Spectators are encouraged to applaud both teams (e.g.. clap when a goal is scored) but must not shot or call out. [Law 1]

-Slide tackle rule
On medical advice, no slide tackles are allowed. A free kick will be given in every instance. [Law 12]

-Blue card rule
A blue card is shown for any cautionable offence resulting in a 2 minute Sin Bin (5 minutes at 9v9). [Law 12].

-Respect marks rule
After every match, referees will marks to players, coaches and spectators from both teams. [Law 12]

-Retreat line rule
When goalkeeper has possession, opposition must retreat to halfway. Keeper must pass to own player in own half. [Law 16]

-Pass back rule
Because goalkeepers need to practice their footwork, they cannot pick up the ball from a pass back. [Law 12]

-No instructions rule
Coaches may ask questions that prompt players to think for themselves but must not shout instructions during matches. [Law 1]

-Equal playing time rule
All squad members must receive equal playing time with at least 50% per player for each game. [Law 3]

-All positions rule
All squad members must be given regular experience playing in all positions, including goalkeeper. [Law 3]

-Mixed teams rule
To maximise competition, clubs must field teams of similar ability - ie. not ‘A’ and ‘B’ teams. [Law 3]

-Power play rule
If any team goes 4 goals ahead, the other team may field an extra player until the goal difference is reduced to 3 goals. [Law 3]

-Equal numbers rule
If a team has too few players, the other must lend them willing subs or withdraw players to make numbers even. [Law 3]

Only a matter of time before penalties will be given against kids for wearing black boots.
Some of these have some merit, some look downright ridiculous.

As for "Coaches may ask questions that prompt players to think for themselves but must not shout instructions during matches." - that went to the extreme at Burnley about 3-4 years ago when Jason Blake stopped any coaching whatsoever from the touchline. It was hard to believe, going down to the youth team games and seeing Pash and Andy Farrell absolutely silent.

deanothedino
Been Liked: 695 times
Has Liked: 297 times

Post by deanothedino » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:07 am

Almost all ridiculous, the game has gone.

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:08 am

ClaretTony wrote:Some of these have some merit, some look downright ridiculous.

As for "Coaches may ask questions that prompt players to think for themselves but must not shout instructions during matches." - that went to the extreme at Burnley about 3-4 years ago when Jason Blake stopped any coaching whatsoever from the touchline. It was hard to believe, going down to the youth team games and seeing Pash and Andy Farrell absolutely silent.
Some are good rules - but as always ... The FA seem to just throw in a few crazy ones too.

I know youth academies like to have parents silent but surely a coach/manager should be allowed to coach his player during a match.

People say that kids won't want to play football which I feel is becoming true at Sunday League level - but will all these changes mean the managers will also think "what's the point?"

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:09 am

Pathetic

dpinsussex
Been Liked: 1047 times
Has Liked: 1187 times

Post by dpinsussex » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:12 am

My daughter hates playing when the parents are silent. She wants the noise and encouragement. She says it helps her focus on what she should be doing. U13 girls football needs them to step up and stop being so nice to each other and build a desire in to compete at the best they can with the aim of winning the game.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2623 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:18 am

Unfortunately most of the rules are there because parents can't behave. You see some ridiculous behaviour from coaches at kids' football too.
Last edited by NottsClaret on Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
These 2 users liked this post: 1968claret Bop

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:18 am

dpinsussex wrote:My daughter hates playing when the parents are silent. She wants the noise and encouragement. She says it helps her focus on what she should be doing. U13 girls football needs them to step up and stop being so nice to each other and build a desire in to compete at the best they can with the aim of winning the game.
Was speaking to a parent of a player in a local girls team yesterday who said how they played friendlys against lads sides to "toughen up" the girls. They went from not winning in 2 seasons to winning 1st 4 this season in a row so far.

What happend at academy level with these changes will be interesting to see. So all of a sudden you hit 14/15/16 and get a mighty shock when the wonderkid who was running rings round players cant handle a sliding tackle at him/her...... Or that big lad who is a colossal defender can't time a hard but fair tackle.

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:21 am

NottsClaret wrote:Unfortunately most of the rules are there because parents can't behave. You see some ridiculous behaviour from coaches at kids' football too.
I've watched youth football every weekend for the past 7 years ...... I think I have seen probably 3 incidents in that time that have been bad but have also been swiftly dealt with. I've seen more bad behaviour at professional games in that time from fans - so would it be a decent idea to make fans silent at all games?

dushanbe
Been Liked: 396 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by dushanbe » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:26 am

This isn't new, my lad has been playing grassroots football for the last two seasons and these rules have been in place.

NottsClaret

Post by NottsClaret » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:31 am

bfccrazy wrote:I've seen more bad behaviour at professional games in that time from fans - so would it be a decent idea to make fans silent at all games?
Not really, it's unlikely an adult pro footballer will be put off by some knobhead who never made it shouting and screaming on the touchline, trying to make up for all his failings. But it doesn't help kids.
This user liked this post: JohnDearyMe

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:32 am

dushanbe wrote:This isn't new, my lad has been playing grassroots football for the last two seasons and these rules have been in place.
It's the fitst I have heard of the blue card, no sliding, 4 goals rule etc...

They put in the passbacks and players retreating for a goal kick a few years ago and have been trialling these laws in a few counties so maybe your son falls into one of the trial counties.

dushanbe

Post by dushanbe » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:43 am

I haven't come across the blue card, but then its only under 9's and often there isn't a ref. Also, some of the rules are more strictly enforced than others. Two weeks ago the ref was a stickler for the retreat rule and pass backs, last week another ref didn't pull it up once. I've also only ever seen the 'mercy rule' once where players are withdrawn when a team goes 4 goals up so its a bit hit and miss really.

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 667 times
Has Liked: 2053 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:57 am

NottsClaret wrote:Unfortunately most of the rules are there because parents can't behave. You see some ridiculous behaviour from coaches at kids' football too.
Yes sadly there are some parents who spoil these occasions.

Will be interesting to see if an absence of over enthusiastic parents screaming at their kids to hoof the ball etc will have an impact on the quality of play over time

Jimmymaccer
Been Liked: 597 times
Has Liked: 195 times

Post by Jimmymaccer » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:09 am

They’ll be saying no coats for goalposts next.......on the basis they exclude people from families who can’t afford a coat.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1923 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:36 am

What a load of shite

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:40 am

Jimmymaccer wrote:They’ll be saying no coats for goalposts next.......on the basis they exclude people from families who can’t afford a coat.
I used to run a youth team and this was one of the big things that the guy giving the safeguarding course from the FA was pointing out to look out for. Kids turning up in winter etc without a jumper/coat or appropriate clothing etc ...

I know you said it a little tongue in cheek but it is a trigger that is taught to make sure a kid/their family is ok.

ClaretinMyBlood
Been Liked: 93 times
Has Liked: 54 times

Post by ClaretinMyBlood » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:40 am

Most of these are pathetic.
Kids need to be playing as close to the real game as possible, you may as well as invent a whole new game going by these rules.

The change grassroots football needs, is to introduce more incentives for winning, we need to breed winners.

Sod all the taking part nonsense.

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:45 am

ClaretinMyBlood wrote:Most of these are pathetic.
Kids need to be playing as close to the real game as possible, you may as well as invent a whole new game going by these rules.

The change grassroots football needs, is to introduce more incentives for winning, we need to breed winners.

Kids will now be playing non competitive, tackle free, sin bin football in silence. At least they will all get to play equal amounts of football though and won't lose by too many.

Most teams get around the A/B team problem bu just having different colour teams. Fulledge Blues/Whites/Reds etc ...

dushanbe

Post by dushanbe » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:49 am

ClaretinMyBlood wrote:Most of these are pathetic.

Grassroots football isn't there as a vehicle to provide players for professional teams, its there to allow kids who like playing football the chance to play. Some kids do get picked up by academies but in the main they are kids who just want to play football.

We are talking about 7,8 and 9 year olds here. My son loves playing, but the scoreline is largely irrelevant to him. By the time we've got in the car for the trip home, he doesn't care whether the team won or lost.

The problem you get when you make winning and losing all important at that age is the fun is sucked out of it and kids just stop playing and thats not good for anyone.
These 4 users liked this post: Ziggy Stardust wilks_bfc Rileybobs Goodclaret

dsr
Been Liked: 4577 times
Has Liked: 2268 times

Post by dsr » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:55 am

The "no instructions" rule isn't difficult. Instead of shouting "Joe - cover that left winger", he'll have to shout "Joe - would it be a good idea to cover that left winger".

clansman
Been Liked: 322 times
Has Liked: 89 times

Post by clansman » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:28 pm

Further to post 21

"Joe ask yourself would it be feasible to catch that tricky
winger on the half way line and clout him!"
This user liked this post: dsr

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:32 pm

I was a linesman at my kids game on sunday. Three parents decided to tell me that their kids were onside when (in my opinion) they were not.

The coach of the team that the parents belonged to said "it happens, its parents"

I said "it never happens when its my kids teams parents".

Parents are the problem, especially those who appear to think a under-10 game is a qualifier for the champions league.
These 2 users liked this post: dushanbe Bop

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:56 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:I was a linesman at my kids game on sunday. Three parents decided to tell me that their kids were onside when (in my opinion) they were not.

The coach of the team that the parents belonged to said "it happens, its parents"

I said "it never happens when its my kids teams parents".

Parents are the problem, especially those who appear to think a under-10 game is a qualifier for the champions league.
Always a tough job is being a linesman for grassroots. Is a job that no parent really wants yet is happy to give stick to whoever says they will do it.
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

Sutton-Claret
Been Liked: 378 times
Has Liked: 165 times

Post by Sutton-Claret » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:00 pm

Some sensible ones but some outright ridiculous ones. Both my kids (age 9 and 11) matches are usually refereed by a lad from the u16's team. How on earth is he supposed to implement these laws - especially telling an irate father to keep his trap shut. Agree with most that parents are the problem.

Some of the kids at my kids team have been offered a quid per goal from their parents - one was even offered 2 quid if he scored a rabona. Makes me laugh when all you can here are the mums shouting 'SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT'

Stan8
Been Liked: 54 times
Has Liked: 6 times

Post by Stan8 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:01 pm

They still do little coaching during games at the young ages at the academy and they wonder why we get tonked every wk, wouldnt be so bad if they even addressed it
after games but they dont even do that,its all about having fun at the minute was told they teach them how to win at 16 mindboggling really utc

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:04 pm

I've done it four times in six games for a team with fourteen team members.

Two other parents have done it once each.

I'm not volunteering again till other people understand that if everyone doesn't do it, then its not fair (and we are quite a good bunch of parents to be fair)

EDIT - sounds like a whinge, but I'll do it if no one else will, but its not as much fun as just watching my kids play and enjoying it.
Last edited by Lancasterclaret on Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:07 pm

Parents are 100% a problem - this has just got worse and worse in the last 15 or so years.

I played school football for nearly 10 years - at a time when schools played every Wednesday afternoon and Saturday morning. It was extremely competitive and a very good standard (especially our team given it was St Teds !!).

Throughout all those years other than finals like the Keigthley Cup or Lancashire Cup I doubt there were ever more than 2 or 3 parents ever watching a game and it was the same parents and they hardly said a word other than encouraging ones. The only noise I could ever remember coming from the touchline was that of the teachers / coaches.

This has changed beyond recognition in recent years. Now the touchlines are full of mums and dads. The mums are often worse than the dads and I say this without any prejudice - its just a fact....that many of the mums are worse because they have no idea about either the rules or what constitutes good play etc.

I was asked to run an under 9s team a few years ago and agreed to give it ago. I enjoyed coaching the kids and I would have also enjoyed match games but for the parents who completely ruined the experience for myself and more importantly the boys. I warned the parents several times that I would quit unless they refrained from giving me "advice" during a game (often hassle about bringing their little Jonny on or changing his position). I raised it at meetings and they were all very apologetic until Sunday morning came and it then happened all over again...so I did quit. There were a number of occasions when parents were arguing with each other and a couple when they were nearly fighting.

Any new law which addresses this would be great - I have watched quite a lot of kids football in Canada where it is much bigger and more participated than this country and their is a different culture and level of respect.

I also agree that many of the new rules are just daft - if they focused on just the one about parents it would go a long way to improving things.

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3185 times
Has Liked: 1869 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:20 pm

dushanbe wrote:Grassroots football isn't there as a vehicle to provide players for professional teams, its there to allow kids who like playing football the chance to play. Some kids do get picked up by academies but in the main they are kids who just want to play football.

We are talking about 7,8 and 9 year olds here. My son loves playing, but the scoreline is largely irrelevant to him. By the time we've got in the car for the trip home, he doesn't care whether the team won or lost.

The problem you get when you make winning and losing all important at that age is the fun is sucked out of it and kids just stop playing and thats not good for anyone.

Exactly this

I’ve just started coaching an u8 side

Last week we had our first competitive game (previous games didn’t go ahead due to lack of players & weather)

Although “officially” there is no score, it’s save to ya we were soundly beaten and despite a few sulks every player shook the oppositions hand

The next day at the training session I asked them how they thought the game went. Everyone of them said they enjoyed it and couldn’t wait for the next game.

At that age all they want to do is play with their mates.
Let’s keep it fun for them and they will learn the technical side of things without them realising

Sausage
Been Liked: 639 times
Has Liked: 441 times

Post by Sausage » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:23 pm

bfccrazy wrote: -Pass back rule
Hasn't this been the law since Summer 1992?

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6958 times
Has Liked: 1482 times

Post by Rileybobs » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:40 pm

It’s easy to get hysterical and make ludicrous comparisons with fans shouting at professional football matches but can anyone point out any serious negatives with the new set of laws? Other than the ambiguity of the coaches shouting instructions I fail to see any.

The new laws appear to be put in place to encourage more kids to play football - not to develop future England players. After all, there are to my knowledge over 2m amateur participants in the UK and only a few thousand professionals.
These 2 users liked this post: Goodclaret Sausage

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:51 pm

Rileybobs wrote:It’s easy to get hysterical and make ludicrous comparisons with fans shouting at professional football matches but can anyone point out any serious negatives with the new set of laws? Other than the ambiguity of the coaches shouting instructions I fail to see any.

The new laws appear to be put in place to encourage more kids to play football - not to develop future England players. After all, there are to my knowledge over 2m amateur participants in the UK and only a few thousand professionals.

I think the vast majority of the new rules are ludicrous. I`m actually struggling to find any which will have a positive impact on the game - other than stopping parents shouting on the touchline which they have ruined by extending to coaches.

No slide tackles ? What`s wrong with just teaching the kids how to slide tackle without this being dangerous. Anyone who has ever played the game as a child or an adult appreciates the joy in a slide tackle. Even as a 8 year old you can differentiate between a good slide tackle and someone just kicking you !!

whentheballmoves
Been Liked: 133 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Post by whentheballmoves » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:58 pm

As a recently qualified ref (oooooh!) , I'd just like to point out that it is not the responsibility for the ref to get fans to be quiet, it is the home team's officials / coaches.

If they do nothing about it, the ref is entitled to include it in his / her match report.

As many have said, largely sensible rules. The tam I coach rotates positions and tries to play equal time. If we are hammering teams, we let them bring on an extra player or two.

The slide tackle one seems harsh on first inspection.

The coaches not coaching I can sort of understand - it is about not overloading kids with information, rather letting them get on and play, and addressing issues in training, I guess?

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:13 pm

Coaches not coaching is pretty ridiculous.

As long as this is not bullying or just shouting criticism then I have no idea what they are trying to achieve with a rule like this. In no way is this overloading children with information - it's simply teaching them to be better and whilst you can do some of this on the training ground there is nothing better than doing this during a game as a player will remember it and often he will feel the benefit of any instruction during the game and therefore believes in it and his coach.

It's pretty ridiculous that we have reached a scenario where a coach cannot advise a 9 year old kid who is just learning the game that he or she is for example playing the opposition onside by not moving up with the rest of his defence or letting a greedy young winger know that he should pass or release the ball rather than take everyone on. How on earth can this type of rule improve football at any level ?

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 2047 times

Post by LeadBelly » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:42 pm

Coaches may ask questions that prompt players to think for themselves but must not shout instructions during matches.

"Johnny, do you think it may improve matters if you get much closer to that winger's rear end?"
"Jack, do you think there'd be more benefit if you quickly hit the ball through the air towards our 5ft 11 striker?"

In general, a few good new rules here but some going too far (no slide tackles?) & generally taking too much competitiveness out of the games I think.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2240 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:42 pm

clansman wrote:Further to post 21

"Joe ask yourself would it be feasible to catch that tricky
winger on the half way line and clout him!"
Joseph, I was just pondering the fact that it might be a good idea to keep an eye on that tricky little devil on the wing who appears to be having a jolly old time at your expense, what do you think?

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:45 pm

Sausage wrote:Hasn't this been the law since Summer 1992?
I think it's u11 where it becomes enforced. I'm guessing the FA will want it to be done earlier now. Same as offsides which I think come in at u11/12 level. Before then there are no offsides.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2240 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:49 pm

Seriously though, no wondering we are slowly becoming also-ran's at the international level, we are not breeding a nation of kids who have any idea of competitive spirit. I know for years that they give a 'turn' to anyone who wants a game at school level. When I was there if you weren't good enough you didn't get in. Kids are being molly-coddled at school now in a way that doesn't prepare them for real life, in the real world you don't get a 'turn' at anything unless you earn it, they should learn this at school not be told that life is fair and rosey.

Goodclaret
Been Liked: 543 times
Has Liked: 1512 times

Post by Goodclaret » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:00 pm

bfccrazy wrote:I haven't seen this mentioned yet after aquick search.

-Silent sidelines rule

-Slide tackle rule

-Blue card rule

-Respect marks rule

-Retreat line rule

-Pass back rule

-No instructions rule

-Equal playing time rule

-All positions rule

-Mixed teams rule

-Power play rule

-Equal numbers rule

We, Barnoldswick Town Juniors, have just had an adults in football workshop delivered by Neil Yates (great presenter and extremely passionate about junior football I must add) at the LFA. Some of the above points were mentioned to try and increase "best practice" but there was no mention of these becoming laws of youth football.

As for the proposed rules:

- silent sidelines - we are actively encouraging this. Obviously not total silence but we want to nip parents "coaching" from an early age. The amount of confusion and issues this has caused during the 15 years I've been involved is ridiculous
- slide tackles - what a nonsense - this is a skill which has to be learnt and developed. It would be scandalous to ban it as we aren't teaching the kids an important part of the game
- blue card - again I haven't heard of this one and I'm pretty sure the refs aren't aware of it. You ask a ref before any game to show them their blue card?
- ref respect marks - I think this is already kind of in place, as in, the ref will mark the team/club as a whole with regards respect. I sure wouldn't want a ref to have to individually mark each player each game - haven't they enough to be thinking of?
- retreat rule - this is also already implemented at 5 aside to try and protect the young keepers and we haven't had any negative feedback when carrying it out
- pass back rule - totally agree, it's a law they have to learn which helps develop them as a player although, at younger age groups, we don't penalise with freekicks
- no instructions form the coach - I do believe this is a great idea. I feel it will create better coaches in the long run. How many times do you really think a young player is taking in your tactical instructions during a game? Coaches should use training sessions to explain how they want the game to be played. Coaches should make training sessions as match real as possible to highlight their points. Make notes within the game to be discussed at half time or worked on in the next training session. Obviously, shouting positive encouragement and applauding good play just seems common sense during a game. The kids want an atmosphere and they work better if their actions are noticed and commented upon
- equal playing time - we encourage this at all ages up to under 16's - making a player leave your club due to not enough pitch time is scandalous. My team has always won cups and leagues with player rotation so it is proof you don't need to just give your weaker players a few mins each game.
- all positions rule - this is good development for your players - don't just accept they are a centre half or striker. This sets them up well for when they are older. My lad can play anywhere across the back and regularly covered in midfield too. It gives them different skill sets and makes them better players
- mixed teams rule - another good idea. We were faced with this decision at U14's. We ran two 11 aside teams, both of which did pretty well. A couple of the parents of two of our strongest players wanted us to form an "all conquering" A team from the two teams with the remainder not making the cut going in to a B team. It was clear if we had done this the B team would have been beaten every week and I would have guessed it would have soon collapsed meaning 15 kids wouldn't play football. We stuck with our initial teams and continued to do well. We did, unfortunately, lose the two kids who had suggested the restructure but we still thought losing 2 who were going to continue playing football elsewhere was better than 15 not playing at all.
- power play - not sure what's wrong with this rule to be honest. It challenges the stronger team by having to be smarter against more players and gives game time to the weaker team. Win/win for me.
- equal numbers - I've been in this position before and none of my players fancied swapping to play for another team so I don't see that as being a viable option neither is reducing numbers to match the other team - why should one of your players miss out on a game due to the opposition?

This is just my opinion based on witnessing my team going from U4's through to my current age group U17's. One thing I have learnt is you can't keep everyone happy however much you try :)

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11048 times
Has Liked: 5657 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:16 pm

and we wonder why England are ****

UpTheBeehole
Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 496 times

Post by UpTheBeehole » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:23 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:and we wonder why England are ****
And what if someone told you that this is how the German FA turned their national team from finishing bottom of their group in Euro 2000 to being the top ranked team in the world?

ClaretinMyBlood
Been Liked: 93 times
Has Liked: 54 times

Post by ClaretinMyBlood » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:28 pm

dushanbe wrote:Grassroots football isn't there as a vehicle to provide players for professional teams, its there to allow kids who like playing football the chance to play. Some kids do get picked up by academies but in the main they are kids who just want to play football.

The enjoyment should be found in winning, and equally the disappointment should come from losing, it creates a healthy state of mind.
There's the local parks & kick arounds when it's just for fun.
What is the point in junior 'leagues' if the purpose isn't to win?
It's not fair on the talented youngsters that will never get to progress as their winning counts for nothing.

Oshkoshclaret
Been Liked: 318 times
Has Liked: 83 times

Post by Oshkoshclaret » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:56 pm

The list of rule changes for youth football is being pilot-tested by the FA in Manchester, these are not the official rules yet.

dsr

Post by dsr » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:08 pm

I've no objection to the 4-goals-up rule. In my entire childhood I think I only played in 1 game where a team came back from 3 goals down to draw.

I don't like the rotate-to-every-position rule, though. What about the natural born goalkeeper who can't kick straight? The kid who's a liability upfield, but enjoys goalkeeping? It's pretty rough if he can only play his sort of game one-eleventh of the time. Or the kid who can't kick straight but has good positional sense, the natural centre half. (This was me before I moved into the nets.) He might prefer playing centre half, where he's doing a job that he can do, more than he enjoys playing up front or on the wing, where he adds nothing to the game. Fair enough moving people about, but remember that even at 9 years old they're still people with their own preferences, not just pawns of the FA.

dsr

Post by dsr » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:10 pm

ClaretinMyBlood wrote:The enjoyment should be found in winning, and equally the disappointment should come from losing, it creates a healthy state of mind.
There's the local parks & kick arounds when it's just for fun.
What is the point in junior 'leagues' if the purpose isn't to win?
It's not fair on the talented youngsters that will never get to progress as their winning counts for nothing.
No, there should be enjoyment in winning but also enjoyment in playing (win or lose). If you don't enjoy it just because you lost, that's not healthy.

UpTheBeehole

Post by UpTheBeehole » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:11 pm

dsr wrote:I've no objection to the 4-goals-up rule. In my entire childhood I think I only played in 1 game where a team came back from 3 goals down to draw.
You must not have played on the same hills as me then.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6958 times
Has Liked: 1482 times

Post by Rileybobs » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:21 pm

TVC15 wrote:I think the vast majority of the new rules are ludicrous. I`m actually struggling to find any which will have a positive impact on the game - other than stopping parents shouting on the touchline which they have ruined by extending to coaches.

No slide tackles ? What`s wrong with just teaching the kids how to slide tackle without this being dangerous. Anyone who has ever played the game as a child or an adult appreciates the joy in a slide tackle. Even as a 8 year old you can differentiate between a good slide tackle and someone just kicking you !!
What about goalkeepers having to play the ball out short? At half time at the Turf when the kids play, on almost every occasion a goalkeeper collects the ball he boots it as far as he can which usually ends up with a goal kick at the other end. Also, the pass back rule surely also teaches kids to play football rather than kick and rush.

With regards slide tackles, if these rules apply to under 9 level then again I don’t see the problem. Slide tackles are no longer a big part of the game and defenders are rightly taught to stay on their feet. There’s nothing wrong with teaching kids how to correctly time a slide tackle when they’re a few years older.

Like I say, some hysterical over-reactions to this. Including the poster who says kids should have to earn the right to play. How would your kid feel about this if he/she was less developed or talented than the other kids and got 5 minutes every Sunday morning whilst the bigger better kids stayed on the pitch for the duration of the game? Would this encourage your 7 year old to continue to turn up every Sunday morning? Would he/she be likely to improve their footballing ability?

NottsClaret

Post by NottsClaret » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:39 pm

This isn't about how to run elite academies, the best will always have that will to win and always get the best coaching.

If you try not to see everything as how it relates to pro football or England, which is a future for about 0.1% of these kids anyway, then they're not bad ideas to keep kids involved and enjoying sport. It's not long since we had a thread bemoaning the lack of senior local leagues because nobody wants to play anymore. If you keep a kid playing from under 9s and 10s, through teens maybe they'll keep on at it, even if - god forbid - it's just for enjoyment and fitness.

The slide tackle ban does seem odd. My daughter's 8 and loves going in for one.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11048 times
Has Liked: 5657 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:58 pm

UpTheBeehole wrote:And what if someone told you that this is how the German FA turned their national team from finishing bottom of their group in Euro 2000 to being the top ranked team in the world?
I'd ask for proof
This user liked this post: Foulthrow

UpTheBeehole

Post by UpTheBeehole » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:03 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:I'd ask for proof
For Germany, post-Euro 2000 was about changing philosophies as well as employing more full-time coaches and upgrading facilities. The DFB wanted to move away from playing in straight lines and relying on "the German mentality" to win matches. Instead coaches focused on developing fluid formations that required the sort of nimble, dexterous players who would previously have been overlooked because of their lack of physical strength.

"In the past there were a lot of big players. But look at our players now," Dutt says. "You realise that an important thing for a football player is technique and then the height of the player, ordinarily, will be small. [Diego] Maradona, [Andrés] Iniesta, Xavi – all little players. In the defence we think we need big players. Mats Hummels is big but he is very good with the ball. In 1982 Mats Hummels wouldn't have played in defence, he would have played at No10. In the 1970s, [Franz] Beckenbauer was playing football and [Hans-Georg] Schwarzenbeck was running after the English players – if he got the ball he gave it to Beckenbauer and the job was done. But now Schwarzenbeck is Hummels, and Hummels plays like Beckenbauer and Schwarzenbeck."
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... oom-talent