Juan Mata's Common Goal campaign.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
jlup1980
Been Liked: 859 times
Has Liked: 531 times

Juan Mata's Common Goal campaign.

Post by jlup1980 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:34 pm

I searched but I couldn't see that this has been discussed on here. There seems to be some people on Social Media who are quite critical of Juan Mata and the fact that he's only donating 1% of his salary to charity, which I find astonishing. Personally I think it's a fantastic gesture and now Charlie Daniels and Alfie Mawson have also signed up to do the same. A lot is levelled at footballers these days, certainly with regards to them being money mad and egotistical, so the more of this we see the better in my opinion.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41693996

Dyched
Been Liked: 1926 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Re: Juan Mata's Common Goal campaign.

Post by Dyched » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:38 pm

Fantastic!

Footballers will always get stick for what they earn. Well done to them. They'll be people out though whining about it only being 1% yet they wont even be giving 0.5% of theirs.

WadingInDeeper
Been Liked: 155 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by WadingInDeeper » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:41 pm

And what they only know is how much they have announced. They don't know how much they give, or do, for charities which is done in private and isn't announced.

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:46 pm

jlup1980 wrote:I searched but I couldn't see that this has been discussed on here. There seems to be some people on Social Media who are quite critical of Juan Mata and the fact that he's only donating 1% of his salary to charity, which I find astonishing. Personally I think it's a fantastic gesture and now Charlie Daniels and Alfie Mawson have also signed up to do the same. A lot is levelled at footballers these days, certainly with regards to them being money mad and egotistical, so the more of this we see the better in my opinion.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41693996
There are various four-letter words to describe people who criticise others for "only" donating so much money. And yet i'm not at all surprised some people with limited ability to think about things are whining.

Hopefully if one of them finds their way into this thread they'll consider this, what does more good? 1 person donating 10% of his salary during his own career, or 50 people donating 1% throughout their careers and starting a movement within the game that continues on beyond just their careers?
These 3 users liked this post: jlup1980 gandhisflipflop PaintYorkClaretnBlue

Leisure
Been Liked: 3814 times
Has Liked: 12505 times

Post by Leisure » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:50 pm

Just for accuracy, the article talks about donating AT LEAST 1%. A great gesture!

IndigoLake
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 837 times

Post by IndigoLake » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:52 pm

Everything I've heard about Juan Mata suggests he's an all-round good guy. People will always find something to complain about I guess.
This user liked this post: DAVETHEVICAR

jlup1980
Been Liked: 859 times
Has Liked: 531 times

Post by jlup1980 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:03 pm

IndigoLake wrote:Everything I've heard about Juan Mata suggests he's an all-round good guy. People will always find something to complain about I guess.
Couldn't agree more. Mata really does seem to be one of the good guys.
This user liked this post: DAVETHEVICAR

UpTheBeehole
Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 496 times

Post by UpTheBeehole » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:05 pm

I saw something about Wilfried Zaha donating 10% of his wage to charity.

Good man.

claretburns
Been Liked: 862 times
Has Liked: 334 times

Post by claretburns » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:12 pm

jlup1980 wrote:. There seems to be some people on Social Media who are quite critical of Juan Mata and the fact that he's only donating 1% of his salary to charity, which I find astonishing.[/url]
I find it astonishing people are having a go at Mata for donating any some at all from his wage to charity when there are hundreds of professionals who don't even donate a penny.
This user liked this post: Leisure

Juan Tanamera
Been Liked: 771 times
Has Liked: 10096 times

Post by Juan Tanamera » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:22 pm

claretburns wrote:I find it astonishing people are having a go at Mata for donating any some at all from his wage to charity when there are hundreds of professionals who don't even donate a penny.
Is that a fact?

claretburns
Been Liked: 862 times
Has Liked: 334 times

Post by claretburns » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:03 pm

Juan Tanamera wrote:Is that a fact?
Whilst obviously not knowing for a fact, and I never stated anywhere it was a fact, I am confident in saying in the sporting world the number of professionals who don't donate to charity in the way of a percentage of there wage is in the hundreds.

deanothedino
Been Liked: 695 times
Has Liked: 297 times

Post by deanothedino » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:29 pm

Glad to see some others in the PL have eventually signed up, it has taken a little while since Mata announced it. Mata seems a great guy, he's clearly well educated as he has two degrees I believe and maybe that has helped him to be so grounded compared to a lot of pros.

He's clearly trying to use his profile for some good, there's not enough sports stars who do that. I know Peter Sagan does good things to encourage cycling in cities but it would be great if more athletes could use their profile to really tackle the modern day issues.

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2340 times
Has Liked: 1405 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:31 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:There are various four-letter words to describe people who criticise others for "only" donating so much money. And yet i'm not at all surprised some people with limited ability to think about things are whining.

Hopefully if one of them finds their way into this thread they'll consider this, what does more good? 1 person donating 10% of his salary during his own career, or 50 people donating 1% throughout their careers and starting a movement within the game that continues on beyond just their careers?
We don't normally agree but that's spot on.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:46 pm

Footballers are in a great position to really put something back into society. They can become Philanthropists and for that they really would deserve adulation.

jurek
Been Liked: 309 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by jurek » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:42 pm

Given what most premiership footballers earn then if a goodly few sign up
it could be ten or so thousands a week going to charity.
That's a significant sum.

Mata should be praised and all footballers sign up.

Be curious to see how many Burnley players sign up.