Is it fun being an also ran in the Premier League

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3116 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Is it fun being an also ran in the Premier League

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:01 pm

year after year after year

https://www.theguardian.com/football/bl ... n-west-ham" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bit of an obvious article but the warning signs known to many on here already are there for the long term good of the game

Sidney1st
Been Liked: 3547 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Re: Is it fun being an also ran in the Premier League

Post by Sidney1st » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:15 pm

Good article I thought.

I think it's a conversation that's been had in the past, especially when comparing the championship to the PL.

Fans of long term PL clubs scoff at the idea that the championship is more fun to be in, until their team drops into it and they can see the difference.
The money makes the PL worth being in, but everyone knows the Championship is more exciting to watch over the course of a season.
These 4 users liked this post: Foshiznik Damo Colburn_Claret jordsclarets

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3116 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:28 pm

would not challenge any of that Sidney - though I think the article is questioning whether the dampened enthusiasm's contribution to atmosphere and the all round lack of atmosphere will affect the PL ability to sell the game as a magic money tree if fan's (tv based) only want to watch the top 6 and they want to to earn their "rightful" share

Sidney1st
Been Liked: 3547 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Sidney1st » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:37 pm

They can just pipe noise through speakers to keep the atmosphere for tv.

Reading used to do it with that bloody drummer they had, Bolton did it as well.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6903 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:54 pm

It's more fun than being an also ran in The Championship, League One or League 2.

claretbob
Been Liked: 141 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by claretbob » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:06 pm

Does anyone seriously consider watching a Steve Cotterill/Eddie Howe team in the championship is better than the present must have very short memories.The quality of football and general atmosphere was non existent.

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2103 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:39 pm

claretbob wrote:Does anyone seriously consider watching a Steve Cotterill/Eddie Howe team in the championship is better than the present must have very short memories.The quality of football and general atmosphere was non existent.
Personally it's a different sort of enjoyment. I love us beung in the Prem and being able to see all these top top players playing against us.

As a fan though and enjoying the day out and everything else - the enjoyment in the Championship is much better. Waking up and deciding last minute to head to an away game and paying on the gate. Speakin to oposition fans who are knowledgable of more than just what Zlatans new tattoo is. Ticking off random little grounds to visit etc...

Obviously this won't matter to the TV fan as they dont get the full experience of following a football team.

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:26 pm

West Brom won their first game of the season and then brought 1,000 fans to Turf Moor. Why? Because, like the article says, they're bored. Many of these teams won't even try for a cup run, based presumably on the sure and certain knowledge that any player who tries to play 45 games in a season will drop with exhaustion in March.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:47 pm

Yes it is. A lot of modern football I cant stand. On and off the field. But I will never tire of being in The Premier League!

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:58 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Yes it is. A lot of modern football I cant stand. On and off the field. But I will never tire of being in The Premier League!
It would though become a bit boring for some of us, if we were just lower to mid table every season.

A future foray into Europe would quell the also ran mindset for a while.

I don't want us to become boring like Stoke City for example.

Saxoman
Been Liked: 575 times
Has Liked: 147 times

Post by Saxoman » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:04 am

Bin Ont Turf wrote:It would though become a bit boring for some of us, if we were just lower to mid table every season.

A future foray into Europe would quell the also ran mindset for a while.

I don't want us to become boring like Stoke City for example.
U could play the isle of man again in a friendly.. :lol:

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:04 am

I dont disagree. And we should absolutely go to win cups and finish as high as possible. But I will never tire of being in the league. And daring to dream!

Dyched
Been Liked: 1922 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:10 am

Honestly it's getting a bit meh for me the PL. Finally we're there, survived and it's not as exciting anymore. Don't get me wrong it is brilliant that we're competing with some of the best teams. It's great for the club financially. But if I look back I had far more enjoyment getting **** wet through at somewhere like Stockport than going to SB or OT.

Saxoman
Been Liked: 575 times
Has Liked: 147 times

Post by Saxoman » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:14 am

Dyched wrote:Honestly it's getting a bit meh for me the PL. Finally we're there, survived and it's not as exciting anymore. Don't get me wrong it is brilliant that we're competing with some of the best teams. It's great for the club financially. But if I look back I had far more enjoyment getting **** wet through at somewhere like Stockport than going to SB or OT.
Grimsby away for me was fantastic in 99/2000

Dyched
Been Liked: 1922 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:18 am

Saxoman wrote:Grimsby away for me was fantastic in 99/2000
But that's just it. We love our clubs no matter what division. Whether were **** or not. It's about dreaming and just having a laugh. The PL is to serious. It's a 9 month F1 race.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:25 am

No I prefer the Championship,but I love the Premiership money that enables us to sign players like Defour.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:29 am

Dyched wrote:But that's just it. We love our clubs no matter what division. Whether were **** or not. It's about dreaming and just having a laugh. The PL is to serious. It's a 9 month F1 race.
I thing the perceived small team supporters like us and say Bournemouth Watford and Swansea Are more grounded than the small team supporters of Everton west ham And Liverpool.in recent times they haven't much silverware to show for their endevours.
This user liked this post: Wile E Coyote

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3139 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:44 am

It's better than being an also ran in the Conference, (national league whatever they call it nowadays) :D

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:00 am

it is fun, but it is in danger of wearing thin.
Burnley have a long and distinguished history, being back at the top has taken ages. In that gap there were very lean years, atrocious football and small crowds.
I believe there is a tribalism in football which can be healthy, unfortunately our hopes and dreams are often dependent on who is currently in charge of the boardroom.
Literally thousands of people follow clubs in small towns throughout the country, I still think it is a combination of luck and business nous that seperates success from failure. Rovers suddenly rose to the top due to massive funding which had previously been unavailable. That is indisputable.
Smaller clubs rightly want to be bigger clubs, they sometimes earn it through footballing , but mainly from a sideways move by cash investment.
The big hitters attract the advertisers and foreign money, it then becomes inevitable that they will dominate the higher ground more or less permanently.
The recent worries we have suffered thinking Sean Dyche might depart shows how flimsy our status is.
United can have numerous managerial changes yet remain confident that they will not fear relegation. They have the backing to continue come what may.
Smaller clubs are raided and thus weakened by losing their finest talents. Sometimes it can seem embarrassing trying to compete with the corporate giants and media fancied teams. Arsenal might not win anything, but are considered a big club, we on the other hand can occasionally nick an odd point and grab the headlines, but its still David and Goliath stuff. My view presently is , Lose Dyche and we are doomed, consigned to the scrapheap again within two seasons. This equates to reduced attendances and probable second tier football .
That is the difference. It is not a level playing field, but to get one over on the arrogant elite is probably worth it right now.

If it be your will
Been Liked: 500 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by If it be your will » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:04 am

This user liked this post: Wile E Coyote