Beam Me Up

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Dazzler
Been Liked: 881 times
Has Liked: 2332 times

Beam Me Up

Post by Dazzler » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:15 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ender.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'I have balanced these factors by using the pupil’s chosen name, and although I did not intentionally refer to the pupil as a “girl”, I do not believe it is unreasonable to call someone a girl if they were born a girl.’
Is it any wonder there is a shortage of teachers...?

https://youtu.be/7aItpjF5vXc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HatfieldClaret
Been Liked: 605 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Re: Beam Me Up

Post by HatfieldClaret » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:25 am

Can't find any mention of it in the Guardian online, funnily enough......

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3150 times
Has Liked: 10254 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:02 pm

Perhaps it's because only you two are turned on by this stuff.......................

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2977 times
Has Liked: 2075 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:20 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnExahMPPFI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"to face charges for 'misgendering' "

What on earth is this world coming to ?

The way it's going I'm glad I'm 65 !!!!
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

HatfieldClaret
Been Liked: 605 times

Post by HatfieldClaret » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:28 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:Perhaps it's because only you two are turned on by this stuff.......................
Ha, not turned on at all, just admiring the selective journalism of Labour Daily News....

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3150 times
Has Liked: 10254 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:30 pm

Good job. Pleased for you.

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:45 pm

I read about that this morning.

So the point is you are not allowed to say he,she,him,her, girls or boys anymore. It seems harsh to be sacked for using the word girl.

Obviously there needs to be a gender neutral term agreed.

sleeperclaret
Been Liked: 30 times
Has Liked: 78 times

Post by sleeperclaret » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:40 pm

So let me begin by saying it seems harsh to be sacked if it was a genuine mistake.

But let me offer a counter perspective. The teacher has stated that he disagrees with the pupil's right to be identified as male. He has used a term, which refers to the child is in line with his beliefs and not the rights of the child to be identified as a male. At a very difficult time in the child's life, where he no doubt faces discrimination and name calling from his peers, a teacher has given them more ammunition or a trigger for further abuse.

The vindication is that he apologised when corrected and it seems that at worst had allowed unconscious bias to creep in.

The fact that it took 6 weeks to complain makes it seem like an agenda driven by the parent rather than the child.

ClaretSteve
Been Liked: 50 times
Has Liked: 22 times

Post by ClaretSteve » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:01 pm

What a load of tosh.

This is exactly what’s wrong with the world today. Everyone is upset by everything.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:03 pm

One intelligent answer so far.

Thats pretty good for breitbart UTC these days.

aggi
Been Liked: 2122 times

Post by aggi » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:12 pm

There may be more than one agenda here looking at some of the quotes.

....However, he has admitted that, as a Christian, he avoided using male pronouns such as ‘he’ and ‘him’.......

....‘I had always tried to respect the pupil and keep a professional attitude as well as my integrity, but it seemed to me that the school was trying to force me to adhere to its liberal, Leftish agenda.’.....

....Mr Sutcliffe said: ‘I have been shocked and saddened by the actions of the school, which, in my opinion, reflect an increasing trend of Christians being marginalised in the public square, and unpopular beliefs silenced.....
This user liked this post: sleeperclaret

sleeperclaret

Post by sleeperclaret » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:23 pm

There is most certainly more than one agenda.

Society has to exist to represent all of them in public life and so had he chosen "kids" instead of "girls" it would have been fine and everyone's rights and beliefs could have been respected.

It was his mistake. He apologised. Trying to justify it by appealing to the fundamentalist by claiming to be persecuted due to his religion does him no favours at all.

sleeperclaret

Post by sleeperclaret » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:25 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:One intelligent answer so far.
I'll assume that was mine then..... :lol:

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:26 pm

HatfieldClaret wrote:Can't find any mention of it in the Guardian online, funnily enough......

Could you find any mention of it on the Telegraph site? Or Times, or Express? No? Me neither. In fact at the time of posting this only the Mail, Sun, Pink News and Breitbart have published a story about it.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:36 pm

Let's be clear about what he's accused of, because i'm sure most of you didn't bother reading the whole article.

He's accused of repeatedly referring to the boy as a girl and using female pronouns. He is open about his refusal to refer to the kid as "he" or "him" saying that forcing him to do so affects his human rights. (I'd be interested to know what those who think this is all leftist nonsense think of that defence). He's accused of inappropriately raising religion as a topic in his maths class.

The investigation concluded that he was being a **** to a child and suspended him for being a **** to a child. If he wants to single out any child as different, and thus open that child up to bullying, then he has no business being a teacher. But if he wants to change his attitude and treat all kids equally then i see no reason why he can't resume his career after he's served his suspension.

But the guy is clearly a ****.
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

ClaretMoffitt
Been Liked: 1216 times
Has Liked: 807 times

Post by ClaretMoffitt » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:45 pm

I don't see any problem here, this is social progress.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:16 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:Let's be clear about what he's accused of, because i'm sure most of you didn't bother reading the whole article.

He's accused of repeatedly referring to the boy as a girl and using female pronouns. He is open about his refusal to refer to the kid as "he" or "him" saying that forcing him to do so affects his human rights. (I'd be interested to know what those who think this is all leftist nonsense think of that defence). He's accused of inappropriately raising religion as a topic in his maths class.

The investigation concluded that he was being a **** to a child and suspended him for being a **** to a child. If he wants to single out any child as different, and thus open that child up to bullying, then he has no business being a teacher. But if he wants to change his attitude and treat all kids equally then i see no reason why he can't resume his career after he's served his suspension.

I must have misunderstood the article!!!
I thought it was a child born as a girl, in girls clothes who wants to be referred to as boy, hence she is transgender.
He said good work girls and she pointed out she wanted to be referred to as a boy, teacher apologised.

On parents evening the parents complained about said teacher picking on their "it" by giving "it" more detentions than appropriate. Failing that complaint the transgender issue got him suspended.

That sets a precedent that's very dangerous.
So any child can decide they want to be the opposite sex and can a teacher sacked for referring to them incorrectly.
I read about one "it" that did not know what gender they would want to be until they woke up on a particular day.

How the heck does a teacher deal with that.
The kids I went to school with would have nearly all the teachers sacked under these conditions, I really don't like to talk about it but my class drove two teachers to nervous breakdowns. They really knew how to push each teachers buttons.

This just gives kids massive power.
This user liked this post: Dazzler

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:34 pm

You think punishing a teacher for singling out a child and opening them up to ridicule by their classmates because they're transgender sets more of a dangerous precedent than the reason he's being punished?

If it was a one-off mistake then of course this would be ridiculous punishment, but it's not. He's done it repeatedly, and he even refuses to use gender specific pronouns for this particular pupil because he things being forced to do so violates his human rights.

And it's not just about his bullying of this kid, he's also being punished for inappropriately bringing up religion during math classes. I believe we already have a thread running about inappropriate religious **** in a school.

How can it ever be OK to refuse to treat one kid the same as the other kids? If this was a racial discrimination issue there's no way you'd stand for it, I assume, so why should it be OK for a teacher to intentionally treat him differently just because he's transgender?

sleeperclaret

Post by sleeperclaret » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:49 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:Let's be clear about what he's accused of, because i'm sure most of you didn't bother reading the whole article.

I don't disagree. I'd read the article and whilst I can read into it exactly what you have, the undisputed allegation in isolation should be enough for a warning but not dismissal on the basis of the account in the article, regarding his conduct in school. His subsequent spouting in public to justify his behaviour since is far worse than the "accidental" initial incident.

Of course we can all imagine what he's really like and my gut feeling is that there's much more than in the article to dislike him for.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:52 pm

He hasn't been dismissed.
This user liked this post: sleeperclaret

sleeperclaret

Post by sleeperclaret » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:56 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:You think punishing a teacher for singling out a child and opening them up to ridicule by their classmates because they're transgender sets more of a dangerous precedent than the reason he's being punished?

If it was a one-off mistake then of course this would be ridiculous punishment, but it's not. He's done it repeatedly, and he even refuses to use gender specific pronouns for this particular pupil because he things being forced to do so violates his human rights.

And it's not just about his bullying of this kid, he's also being punished for inappropriately bringing up religion during math classes. I believe we already have a thread running about inappropriate religious **** in a school.

How can it ever be OK to refuse to treat one kid the same as the other kids? If this was a racial discrimination issue there's no way you'd stand for it, I assume, so why should it be OK for a teacher to intentionally treat him differently just because he's transgender?
It's about allegations and proof. As I said, entirely agree if the additional stuff can be proven.

Incidentally, if he called every child by their name (e.g. "As Chris said" as opposed to "as he or she said") and not just treat this child differently, then that is acceptable. Obviously not if they said "boys, girls and x".

sleeperclaret

Post by sleeperclaret » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:58 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:He hasn't been dismissed.
I know that. But it is one of the range of outcomes possible.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:03 pm

IT , I think we both concentrating on different aspects of the article.

I see your point if the teacher was singling out this particular child. The incident he is suspended for is saying Good work girls aimed at more than one pupil.

I also pick up on the issue he does not want to refer to the girl as a he or him. Surely you can concede that a pupil dressed as a girl, you might make the mistake of saying girls. I might be corrected but I don't think the pupil could be dressing as a boy and using the boys loo's as I don't think that currently allowed but I could be wrong.

I don't think he should pick out any child, but it does not appear he intentionally did so.

Intentional bullying or harassment is something I have fought several times at work and will never support anyone who does that.

I just don't think he did so where as you think he did.

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times

Post by taio » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:07 pm

Seems incredibly harsh on the face of it to the extent there must be more to it. If not it's ridiculous. But he's been a knob going public on it now.

dsr
Been Liked: 4578 times
Has Liked: 2269 times

Post by dsr » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:09 pm

I don't see where Christianity comes into it. I'm a Christian, and I have no objection to addressing someone (when talking to him/her/it) as "he" when the physical evidence suggests he's a woman, if that's what he wants. I don't have to actually believe he is a man, because (as I've said before) I agree with every sports authority in the world about this apart from the Croquet Association and the Equestrian groups - that male and female is determined by physical characteristics. But there's no harm in humouring someone, if it keeps him/her/it happy. Just simple politeness.

But suspending someone for one mistake? Crackers. The damage it does to the other pupils' education far outweighs the good the suspension can possibly do. I mean, obviously it would be nice to live in a world where all teachers are perfect humans who never make mistakes and who pelase all the people all of the time; but sacking (or even suspending) anyone who makes a mistake isn't going to achieve that, is it?

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:15 pm

They didn't suspend him for one mistake.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:17 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:IT , I think we both concentrating on different aspects of the article.

I see your point if the teacher was singling out this particular child. The incident he is suspended for is saying Good work girls aimed at more than one pupil.

I also pick up on the issue he does not want to refer to the girl as a he or him. Surely you can concede that a pupil dressed as a girl, you might make the mistake of saying girls. I might be corrected but I don't think the pupil could be dressing as a boy and using the boys loo's as I don't think that currently allowed but I could be wrong.

I don't think he should pick out any child, but it does not appear he intentionally did so.

Intentional bullying or harassment is something I have fought several times at work and will never support anyone who does that.

I just don't think he did so where as you think he did.
No. The Daily Mail might want you to think he was suspended for that one incident but once you read the article, all of it, you realise that it's more than just that incident. That incident might have been the catalyst for an investigation, but there's nothing to suggest he's been suspended solely for that incident (except the Mail's choice of headline, of course)

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2326 times
Has Liked: 2696 times

Post by fatboy47 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:30 pm

I support a kid with gender identity issues in a brave battle to adapt to life in a small school in an educational backwater.

Any member of staff making this kids life difficult will only do it once I assure you.
These 3 users liked this post: Sidney1st sleeperclaret Rick_Muller

dsr

Post by dsr » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:47 pm

The problem for teachers is that there are so many things that he or she (or it) is simply not allowed to express. The suggestion that marriage is between a man and a woman is one of those mentioned in the above article; the suggestion that a person with female genitalia is not male is another. There is apparently no room for diversity of this sort in today's schools; and in my opinion there should be. But if in fact one teacher expresses the opinion that a man can't marry another man, and the opinion that the Bible's or the Koran's or the Torah's teachings on marriage and divorce have merit, then they're potentially in trouble.

There has been a lot of defence of James McLean on this board because he chooses to plough his own furrow on the poppy. The gist of the argument is that it's a free country and he should be entitled to his own opinion. My worry is that if teachers are given a prescribed set of opinions that they must hold, then will children ever learn that there are several opinions to most subjects' how to cope with people holding other opinions; or even that it is permissible to change their own minds? Diversity is IMO a good thing, even in deciding whether a boy is a boy or a girl or a girl is a girl or a boy. Or neither.

dsr

Post by dsr » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:49 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:No. The Daily Mail might want you to think he was suspended for that one incident but once you read the article, all of it, you realise that it's more than just that incident. That incident might have been the catalyst for an investigation, but there's nothing to suggest he's been suspended solely for that incident (except the Mail's choice of headline, of course)
The article clearly says that he was suspended because there had been a transgender complaint. Not several complaints, just one.

Dazzler

Post by Dazzler » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:05 pm

I did consider adding to my OP with a comment on the lines that it does appear that he is digging himself
Into a bigger hole.
Other comments and his christian beliefs don't do him any favours either.

Dazzler

Post by Dazzler » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:28 pm

The problem for teachers is that there are so many things that he or she (or it) is simply not allowed to express. The suggestion that marriage is between a man and a woman is one of those mentioned in the above article; the suggestion that a person with female genitalia is not male is another. There is apparently no room for diversity of this sort in today's schools; and in my opinion there should be. But if in fact one teacher expresses the opinion that a man can't marry another man, and the opinion that the Bible's or the Koran's or the Torah's teachings on marriage and divorce have merit, then they're potentially in trouble.

There has been a lot of defence of James McLean on this board because he chooses to plough his own furrow on the poppy. The gist of the argument is that it's a free country and he should be entitled to his own opinion. My worry is that if teachers are given a prescribed set of opinions that they must hold, then will children ever learn that there are several opinions to most subjects' how to cope with people holding other opinions; or even that it is permissible to change their own minds? Diversity is IMO a good thing, even in deciding whether a boy is a boy or a girl or a girl is a girl or a boy. Or neither.
Such Issues are the reason why a mate of mine packed in teaching.
I remember him telling me that he was once reported for mispronouncing an East European girls name.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:44 pm

dsr wrote:The problem for teachers is that there are so many things that he or she (or it) is simply not allowed to express. The suggestion that marriage is between a man and a woman is one of those mentioned in the above article; the suggestion that a person with female genitalia is not male is another. There is apparently no room for diversity of this sort in today's schools; and in my opinion there should be. But if in fact one teacher expresses the opinion that a man can't marry another man, and the opinion that the Bible's or the Koran's or the Torah's teachings on marriage and divorce have merit, then they're potentially in trouble.

But it can't work both ways. If people hold the view that James McLean MUST wear a poppy on his shirt whilst playing for WBA then the same people must hold the view that teachers should follow the rules laid out in their teaching contract, or whatever agreement is in place.

You simply cannot say a teacher should have free speech, yet a footballer can't!

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:48 pm

Such Issues are the reason why a mate of mine packed in teaching.
I remember him telling me that he was once reported for mispronouncing an East European girls name.
Bullshit
These 2 users liked this post: fatboy47 Rileybobs

Dazzler

Post by Dazzler » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:57 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Bullshit

Not

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times

Post by taio » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:59 pm

Might not be bullshit but nothing said about what happened as a result of it being reported. I suspect little or nothing.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:02 pm

There is another article that's just popped up about children not needing parents consent to be transgender within school. However some kids are uncomfortable having a transgender child changing in the changing room with them.

How many lads might want to be transgender so they change with the girls for PE from now on.

I understand some people feel they are born in the wrong body and I do sympathise with them and we need to find a way to make them feel ok.
However it can be used by some people incorrectly.

Not be long now before a transgender person runs out for a pro football team. No matter that they were born a girl. I am not against this but everyone's argument means they Have to accept this going forward.

Dazzler

Post by Dazzler » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:05 pm

He was spoken to by the head which is just procedure.
My mate did say that the head was obviously aware of the difficulties that confront the teacher in modern day teaching,especially over sensitive pupils.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:06 pm

Well it's having an effect all this.

We now have four types of toilet at work.
Multi faith,
Gender neutral
Men's
Women's

Wonder what next.

Dazzler

Post by Dazzler » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:13 pm

Gender neutral? Now that is asking for trouble :lol:

Male as female,female as male sharing the same bogs ,,you couldn't make it up.
Last edited by Dazzler on Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:32 pm

Well I don't mind the multi faith, handle on each wall and a hole in the floor. I used them in France twenty years ago. It's actually easier to do a number 2 than sat on a bog.
I have asked the union to clarify do people need to declare they are gender neutral to use the GN loos or does it mean it's a free for all.

bpgburn
Been Liked: 184 times
Has Liked: 84 times

Post by bpgburn » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:44 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:One intelligent answer so far.
Shouldn't that be "one answer I agree with so far"?

Unless of course you hold yourself up as some kind of Intelligence barometer for the entire message board..
This user liked this post: RingoMcCartney

morpheus2
Been Liked: 762 times
Has Liked: 1855 times

Post by morpheus2 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:01 pm

Ladyboys used to be enjoyable fun things, now they're just another libtard weapon to be used against freedom of thought or speech or something or other :(

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1750 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by agreenwood » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:10 pm

There are other sites reporting there is more to the investigation than this one incident.

The only thing anyone should really be angry about is how easily twisting stories to suit agendas comes to all sides of the media.

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:16 pm

It's all bolloxs.

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2977 times
Has Liked: 2075 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:18 pm

I'm not watching it, because I'm recording it, but Louis Theroux is doing a programme
on Transgender Kids.

If anyone is interested.

EDIT:- BBC2 btw.

sleeperclaret

Post by sleeperclaret » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:05 pm

Just watched it and it was really interesting. Can't wait to hear what others thought of it.

dsr

Post by dsr » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:31 am

Spijed wrote:But it can't work both ways. If people hold the view that James McLean MUST wear a poppy on his shirt whilst playing for WBA then the same people must hold the view that teachers should follow the rules laid out in their teaching contract, or whatever agreement is in place.

You simply cannot say a teacher should have free speech, yet a footballer can't!
I never did say that. I don't agree with what he says, but I accept he has the right to say it.

Dazzler

Post by Dazzler » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:49 am

I would be interested in what Stephen Fry and Douglas Murray thought of it.

Spiral
Been Liked: 2522 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Spiral » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:06 am

Dazzler wrote:I would be interested in what Stephen Fry and Douglas Murray thought of it.
I wouldn't ever use the phrase 'man up' because I think it's anachronistic and grounded in a misplaced sense of masculinity, but how about having the strength of conviction in your own ideals and the courage to speak up on such matters without the need to delegate the articulation of your worldview to your toff boyfriend, Douglas F.ucking Murray?

You've essentially just done the reactionary right-wing equivalent of asking: "this is all dandy, but how does rent-a-gob Guardian columnist Owen Jones feel about all this?"
This user liked this post: Greenmile