Retail Nightmares.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Hendrickxz
Been Liked: 200 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Re: Retail Nightmares.

Post by Hendrickxz » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:00 am

Pimlico_Claret wrote:Talking about this earlier this afternoon, James Warburton spends millions on his fixtures and fittings in James Places, of which this is the latest, but then let's everything down with poorly trained staff, bizarre business model?
You are right. It's not just Bowland Brewery. I went to the Waddy Arms in the summer and was the only person at the bar. The young lady behind the bar didn't acknowledge me because she was wrestling with the reservations book or something. The manager came to the bar looked at me but made no effort to serve me or get her attention. She looked at me, picked up the book and walked straight past me into the back to speak to him. After a good few minutes I heard him say "You'd better serve that guy at the bar" Like it was some chore and I was a bloody nuisance for being there.

I had been planning to try the new bistro at Bowland, which looks very nice. Now you lot have reminded me of the crap service at the other places, maybe I'll swerve it.

Good thread this!

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:04 am

It might just be me, but what the feck is a ATM?
Is that what us Burnley folk call a hole int wall, or at very least a cash point?

deanothedino
Been Liked: 695 times
Has Liked: 297 times

Post by deanothedino » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:07 am

Going into Tesco on the 1st of November to find half the shop has become Santa's Grotto
This user liked this post: Stalbansclaret

UpTheBeehole
Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 496 times

Post by UpTheBeehole » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:59 am

Dazzler wrote:Not a nightmare as such,but the lack of mens clobber in Burnley & Pendle is appallng.
Went to Manchester Arndale just for a pair of shorts that had zipped pockets.
Kin £70 :o From G Star Raw.
Had a very enjoyable day though,bumped into a few clarets.
£70 for a pair of G Star Raw shorts?

You've been had. I wouldn't pay £7 for market clothes like that.

There's no accounting for taste.

ClaretDiver
Been Liked: 553 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Post by ClaretDiver » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:05 am

First world problems hey?

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:17 am

I'm steeling myself for it tonight.

Eldest plays football between 1815 and 1930. I need to do the weekly shop (Aldi/Asda) inbetween these times, and its a five minute drive from where he plays to the supermarkets.

I have nothing against the old, the doddery, the confused, the harassed family members, the people looking for the Worcester Sauce (yes, asda, where the f**k have you put it, i had to get it from the Co Op in the village) the people who walk at the same speed as continental drift etc etc etc

But its a tight schedule and I won't be stopping for anyone!

starting_11
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 832 times

Post by starting_11 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:24 am

Old people, can't blame em for going in the daytime, can't blame em for going on the weekend.

The problem is that there are just so many of them and they like to go slowly. Slowly. And fussily.

Maybe we should get rid?

ClaretEngineer
Been Liked: 690 times
Has Liked: 406 times

Post by ClaretEngineer » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:30 am

So many good replies on this thread, many I can relate to.

I hate going to the bar on a night out, its such a rigmarole. Stand there for 20 minutes like a clown waiting to be served, some bird comes up and gets served instantly. Remonstrate with the ''barman'' and then get told off and made to wait longer. Also echo the sentiments about bar hoggers, double yellow lines are required.

Happy souls that try and catch me on a Saturday morning, SKY, BT, RAC, AA, Credit Cards, Save the Pidgeons, Give to Africa. I'm a tight Northern Git I do not need or want any of the shite you're selling.

Ikea on a Saturday. I made that mistake once and once only. Even the 3 Ikea hot dogs didn't make up for the pain and suffering. Absolutely horrific.

OH and when I'm in a queue somewhere, last week was the Cafe queue at a National Trust. Fair do's I'm stood in front of the sarnies as that's where the queue has been directed. PLEASE say excuse me or some words to get my attention that you wish to view the selection of glorious bounty on offer. DO NOT just stick a hand through to part me from my wife and then proceed to wedge yourself in, scour the shelves and further proceed to move me out of the way.

Next time woman you'll be on your back covered in your Cornish Brie and Cranberry Artisan baquette.

Last one I promise. Folk who go to restaurants and order their dinner and then proceed to berate the poor waiter because ''its not as good as the one I make.'' Sorry Gordon f*****g Ramsey, next time stay at home or order summat else!

Edit - No I've not finished.

Daytime drivers. Why do you drive at 20% less speed during the daytime. I'm on an errand of mercy or I'm treating myself to half a day off. I do not want to spend my time stuck behind you pottering about with f**k all to do!
Last edited by ClaretEngineer on Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:32 am, edited 3 times in total.

deanothedino

Post by deanothedino » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:30 am

starting_11 wrote:Old people, can't blame em for going in the daytime, can't blame em for going on the weekend.

The problem is that there are just so many of them and they like to go slowly. Slowly. And fussily.

Maybe we should get rid?
Forget the badgers, time for an elderly cull

starting_11
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 832 times

Post by starting_11 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:34 am

...when I come to power, son. When I come to power!

ClaretDiver

Post by ClaretDiver » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:48 am

Hendrickxz wrote:You are right. It's not just Bowland Brewery. I went to the Waddy Arms in the summer and was the only person at the bar. The young lady behind the bar didn't acknowledge me because she was wrestling with the reservations book or something. The manager came to the bar looked at me but made no effort to serve me or get her attention. She looked at me, picked up the book and walked straight past me into the back to speak to him. After a good few minutes I heard him say "You'd better serve that guy at the bar" Like it was some chore and I was a bloody nuisance for being there.

I had been planning to try the new bistro at Bowland, which looks very nice. Now you lot have reminded me of the crap service at the other places, maybe I'll swerve it.

Good thread this!
IMHO, the problem is that there are too many levels of management, couple with this the fact they pay minimum wages means that they do not get the experience they need in order to ensure the bars are managed well.

This results in massive staff turnover because the 'kids' can't cope....

Endless cycle resulting in the company getting a bad reputation both from a staffing perspective and a customer perspective....

My (and again humble opinion) is that James has lost control....

SammyBoy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 434 times

Post by SammyBoy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:56 am

I absolutely hate it when I've spent north of 45 minutes battling through traffic to get home from work and I nip into SPAR to buy a loaf of bread or some other minor (but essential) purchase and I get stuck behind slobbering idiots that're buying scratchcards. As somebody who's never bought a scratchcard I might be missing something but it always seems to take them them bloody ages.

"I'll have two of this one here love ... no not that one, this one .. yeah number 8 ... actually on second thoughts I'll have one of those and one of those .. yeah number 3... actually on second thoughts just give me two of this one .. and a lucky dip ... and a packet of L&B Silver .... and that bottle of vodka"

Then more often than not they tend to spend forever paying in a really contrived way.

The closest I ever got to a full meltdown was when I went into SPAR, got stuck behind said scratchcard fiend, finally got out after a long drawn out affair at the checkout only to realise when I was in the car that I'd forgotten something I needed. I proceeded to go into a local off license closer to my house only to get stuck behind, you guessed it, another person agonising over which scratchcard they wanted.

:evil:

dermotdermot
Been Liked: 660 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by dermotdermot » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:49 am

deanothedino wrote:Forget the badgers, time for an elderly cull
A youth cull isn’t such a bad idea either. Ninety per cent of them are just useless.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:50 am

Some sort of mutual cull then,

A Battle Royale for the 21st century?

CaptJohn
Been Liked: 468 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Post by CaptJohn » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:16 pm

Car hire desks at airports. Inevitably there is a long queue which is almost entirely due to the commission motivated agents trying to sell overpriced insurance, roof racks, GPS or child seats. Just a couple of days ago a sneaky rascal had tried to charge me for CDW. When I asked them to politely remove it as I have an annual policy they tried the hard sell for over 5 minutes. JUST GIVE ME THE BLOODY KEYS! :x
Net result over 50% saving on rental contract. :D

happyclaret17
Been Liked: 446 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Post by happyclaret17 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:27 pm

people who sprint with a trolley full of shopping to beat you to the check out knowing full well that you have 4 items in a hand basket.....they then make no eye contact....ffs...just let people through...you never know it might actually make you feel good.

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1600 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:40 pm

IKEA. A store deliberately designed to be like a maze. You go in wanting a single item but finding the correct area and negotiating the hoards of zombies has to be the worst retail experience.

Foulthrow
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 1518 times

Post by Foulthrow » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:42 pm

I'm amazed that none of you have heard of this invention - it's been around for ages. It's called 'A Wife'. I have one and she does this most wonderful thing of doing all the shopping for me. Marvellous stuff really. I'd highly recommend it.

Bertiebeehead
Been Liked: 567 times
Has Liked: 684 times

Post by Bertiebeehead » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:43 pm

Foulthrow wrote:I'm amazed that none of you have heard of this invention - it's been around for ages. It's called 'A Wife'. I have one and she does this most wonderful thing of doing all the shopping for me. Marvellous stuff really. I'd highly recommend it.
Expensive to run though.
This user liked this post: Foulthrow

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:46 pm

I'm amazed that none of you have heard of this invention - it's been around for ages. It's called 'A Wife'. I have one and she does this most wonderful thing of doing all the shopping for me. Marvellous stuff really. I'd highly recommend it.
You send the wife out to do the "hunter-gathering"?

Weird

Foulthrow
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 1518 times

Post by Foulthrow » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:46 pm

Aye but unlike old motors - the longer you have 'em the less frequent servicing they require.

WadingInDeeper
Been Liked: 155 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by WadingInDeeper » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:46 pm

Sidney1st wrote:
Customers who buy the cheapest products possible and then complain that it hasn't lasted as long as they expected.... Get what you pay for morons.
Different industry, but similar principle, customers who can always get a report cheaper on the internet (no, you can get a cheap report on the internet who advise you the end you need to upgrade to the same as mine, for double the cost).

Customers who want to know what the cost is, "and how much will you charge for cash", i don't do cash deals.

Customers who want to know "can you do it for 25% less. Yes, I can do 25% less work for 25% less, if you confirm you will accept the risk.

The worst I've seen is a builder who knew how to deal with a local authority, which would save £900 off my bill and 6 weeks time. He wouldn't listen. The end result was he ended up having to pay a lot more for my time and work, £15000+ extra for materials to rectify his mistake, i dont know how much in man hours, and 9 months beyond the date the building should have been finished. That was 9 months of lost profit to his client (that would easily have been 5 figures). All because he was stubborn and knew best.

TeesClaret
Been Liked: 22 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Post by TeesClaret » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:06 pm

When I was working I was always agitated by the retired who had all day to do their shopping but chose lunch hour. They were getting in my way and surely making shopping more difficult for themselves. But I soon forgot following my own retirement and now go shopping at any time without any thought of lunch hours etc. I don't do it on purpose, it just doesn't cross my mind.

SammyBoy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 434 times

Post by SammyBoy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:10 pm

TeesClaret wrote:When I was working I was always agitated by the retired who had all day to do their shopping but chose lunch hour. They were getting in my way and surely making shopping more difficult for themselves. But I soon forgot following my own retirement and now go shopping at any time without any thought of lunch hours etc. I don't do it on purpose, it just doesn't cross my mind.
Understandable but I work and go out of my way to shop at anti-social hours, I'd rather be in ASDA at 9pm on a Thursday night than go through the ordeal of prime time Saturday or Sunday.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:36 pm

I'm having an ongoing retail nightmare as I set off the buzzers when walking into and out of any supermarket. I've narrowed it down to being something in my wallet but am yet to single out the offending item.

deanothedino

Post by deanothedino » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:16 pm

dermotdermot wrote:A youth cull isn’t such a bad idea either. Ninety per cent of them are just useless.
I'm in my 20s so don't know where I'm going to fall in this....

Chobulous
Been Liked: 955 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by Chobulous » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:26 pm

deanothedino wrote:I'm in my 20s so don't know where I'm going to fall in this....
You'll be first against the wall regardless come the glorious day following post #59

Dazzler
Been Liked: 875 times
Has Liked: 2332 times

Post by Dazzler » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:44 pm

UpTheBeehole wrote:£70 for a pair of G Star Raw shorts?

You've been had. I wouldn't pay £7 for market clothes like that.

There's no accounting for taste.
I never thought of looking on Burnley market ;) Anyway,I've a hell of a lot more money than I have sense. :D

These are 'em but mine are brown.

smudge
Been Liked: 51 times
Has Liked: 140 times

Post by smudge » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:59 pm

Dazzler wrote:I never thought of looking on Burnley market ;) Anyway,I've a hell of a lot more money than I have sense. :D

£5.99 on ebay.

Dazzler

Post by Dazzler » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:31 pm

smudge wrote:£5.99 on ebay.
Hey who cares,I enjoy a day out traditional clothes shopping,browsing for hours,chatting and joking with shop staff.
Not like the miserable Impatient cretins on this thread. ;)

I spent well in excess of £1,000 On clobber last summer and enjoyed every minute of it. :P

UpTheBeehole

Post by UpTheBeehole » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:32 pm

Dazzler wrote:I never thought of looking on Burnley market ;) Anyway,I've a hell of a lot more money than I have sense. :D

What are the loops for on the bottom of the leg?

Are the creases intentional?

What makes them so special that they cost £70?

Dazzler

Post by Dazzler » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:33 pm

No idea to be honest :D
This user liked this post: Siddo

UpTheBeehole

Post by UpTheBeehole » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:35 pm

Maybe the loops tighten the bottoms of the shorts to stop ferrets running up them

Dazzler

Post by Dazzler » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:47 pm

Mine don't have them loops.
I'll be having nightmares about ferrets now.

Chobulous
Been Liked: 955 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by Chobulous » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:21 pm

Dazzler wrote:Mine don't have them loops.
I'll be having nightmares about ferrets now.
Obviously fakes then

PutTheWheelieBinsOut
Been Liked: 194 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by PutTheWheelieBinsOut » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:34 pm

Men who accompany their wifes/girlfriend to the supermarket, well actually they don't accompany them they are in a total daze a few metres back from them in a world of their own, blocking people getting past or to the shelves, I wish they would just stay in the car!

Other men who can't actually go to the supermarket on their own without telephoning the other half to make sure they get the exact right item, make a decision on your own Jeeezzzz!

People that block the isle with their trolleys so they can stop and have a chat with someone they know.

Kids with the wheelie trainers things, I think they are just invented to annoy innocent people in supermarkets, never seen them anywhere else.

People who step back to look at items on shelves from like 6 feet away blocking people going past in either direction

Women who act completely surprised when asked to pay for something, they have to root in their bag to find their handbag then root inside their handbag to find their purse, root inside their purse to find the right card/exact change and then when paid........... they got to put it all back again before they will move away, just to infuriate you a little more.

I really enjoy going the supermarket ;)

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:50 pm

PutTheWheelieBinsOut wrote:Men who accompany their wifes/girlfriend to the supermarket, well actually they don't accompany them they are in a total daze a few metres back from them in a world of their own, blocking people getting past or to the shelves, I wish they would just stay in the car!
Last week my local supermarket opened its fully licensed bar, which I’m told is the first in the country. I might have a jar this weekend whilst the missus takes on the aisles.

Hendrickxz
Been Liked: 200 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Hendrickxz » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:08 am

And what is it about junior school age girls that makes them do stupid dances up and down the aisles whenever they go to the supermarket, getting under the feet and generally ******* people off. I blame those stupid flipping "talent" and "dance" competitions you see on telly every weekend. Not that I know that much about them as I turn the bloody thing over as soon as there is a hin t of one coming on.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:15 am

Survived the trip on thursday and got back in time to pick kid up.

Aldi had one till open though! ONE TILL!

UpTheBeehole

Post by UpTheBeehole » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:19 am

Rileybobs wrote:Last week my local supermarket opened its fully licensed bar, which I’m told is the first in the country. I might have a jar this weekend whilst the missus takes on the aisles.
I read about this the other day, and how it's annoying Wetherspoons.

Anything that annoys that tosser who owns Wetherspoons is good for me.

Rodleydave
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 101 times

Post by Rodleydave » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:34 am

The references to the elderly on here is very upsetting.
Remember yer'll be owld yer'sen one day.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1152 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:15 pm

Blokes shouldn’t be anywhere near a supermarket ,what’s the point in having a bird/wife if she doesn’t do the shopping? Naturally you can NEVER EVER let them buy clothes for you (surely the only time a ma would go shopping on a high st?) online all the way

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:27 pm

New Years Eve - you go to your local and find it’s full of people that don’t go in there the rest of the year asking what Gins they have - just look behind the bar, they’re facing you on the shelf! Then they decide on a Latte.

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2973 times
Has Liked: 2072 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:38 pm

When I had my little part time job, I served, amongst other things, on the trade counter of an
electrical wholesalers. One day, one of the brethren came to the counter and said :-

"How much are those", pointing to an item on the counter.

"£5.99, I replied politely".

"They're only £4.99 down the road" he said.

"Well, you can always get one from there" I politely suggested.

"They've non left" he said.

Slightly irritated now, I said, "When we have none left ours are only £3.99" :lol: :lol:

Dazzler

Post by Dazzler » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:17 pm

https://youtu.be/pk9IMyP85Ko" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Marney&Mee
Been Liked: 657 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by Marney&Mee » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:38 pm

Supermarkets who offer 'carry to the car' service...and then renege when I tell them I left the car at home...

ClaretDiver

Post by ClaretDiver » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:51 pm

PutTheWheelieBinsOut wrote:
Other men who can't actually go to the supermarket on their own without telephoning the other half to make sure they get the exact right item, make a decision on your own Jeeezzzz!
What about the guys who need to go to the supermarket and call their wife because she can't articulate what she wants unless you explain everything to her...??
This user liked this post: WadingInDeeper

levraiclaret
Been Liked: 428 times
Has Liked: 1460 times

Post by levraiclaret » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:01 pm

Dazzler wrote: I spent well in excess of £1,000 On clobber last summer and enjoyed every minute of it. :P
do you have a £4k watch?

Dazzler

Post by Dazzler » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:05 pm

Nah £40 but it's still giving me the right time after 10 years.. :D

WadingInDeeper
Been Liked: 155 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by WadingInDeeper » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:07 pm

ClaretDiver wrote:What about the guys who need to go to the supermarket and call their wife because she can't articulate what she wants unless you explain everything to her...??
It's amazing as well how many people in this day and age still presume the wife does the cooking and shopping.