O/T Help with buying a laptop

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Cheshireclaret
Been Liked: 338 times
Has Liked: 20 times

O/T Help with buying a laptop

Post by Cheshireclaret » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:49 pm

Evening all,

Firstly, my apologies to anyone clicking on this thread who is annoyed this might be a familiar topic, especially at this time of year.

My nearly 10 year old daughter has asked for a laptop for Christmas and, being the complete technophobe that I am, my first resort was to visit my local PC World. I should point out at this stage that my budget is £300.00 to £350.00 and as she is only in Year 5, she doesn't need a laptop that can perform too many wondrous functions of course, but I want one that will last her a few years and will allow her to do homework, research, story writing, some film watching etc.

Having spent an hour this evening perusing the various options, when I finally spoke to an assistant there, he further flummoxed me by telling me I don't want a laptop but that I should buy a Chromebook. To be fair to the chap in question, he was very convincing and I left the store certain that was the right product and that is what I will buy. Perhaps most compelling was the fact that he dissuaded me from spending £299.99 and instead looked to get me to spend £229.99, which always makes me think they are being fair.

Upon discussing this with Mrs Cheshire however, she told me I was talking utter nonsense and that a laptop is the better option and that the Lenovo model I saw in the store is the one for our daughter. This is readily advertised on the PC World website at £299.99.

I have no idea what the heck to do, so I wonder if anyone on here can assist, using layman's language?

Thanks all and apologies once again,

Cheshire

lakesider
Been Liked: 15 times
Has Liked: 18 times

Re: O/T Help with buying a laptop

Post by lakesider » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:17 pm

I would suggest that unless Mrs Cheshire enjoys doing laborious weekly pc/os updates to bloat up and slow down said laptop and investing in several anti virus programs or maybe the 10 minutes or so waiting for the thing to boot up then a chromebook is the answer for a 5 year old and even well beyond. Also no backing up of your device is needed. If the chromebook ever does get corrupted in any way it will rebuild automatically (in about 8 seconds!)

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2949 times
Has Liked: 2063 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:23 pm

Take a look at these, it will give you a good idea of the range available and the prices.

https://www.johnlewis.com/browse/electr ... lsrc=aw.ds" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:32 pm

I just got a chromebook, i'm never buying a laptop again (I do have a desktop PC that I do my main work on though but that's only because the software I use is only mac/pc at this point). Chromebooks are much much harder to get viruses on for starters, far easier to update and now you can get Android apps on some models.

You are more reliant on being online with a chromebook though

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:34 pm

Chromebooks are pretty good nowadays. I certainly don't regret buying one. It may be worth checking that there isn't any particular piece of software that it's vital your daughter doesn't need Windows for but other than that I'd stick with it.

Mine is two years old now and still works like new. Battery life will be much better than the equivalently priced Windows laptop and it will most probably be slimmer and lighter.

Running Android apps on them can be iffy, some work nicely (I have Microsoft Remote Desktop and Juice SSH on mine so when I need something specific I can access another machine from it), some don't. In your case one of the video players (VLC or MX Player) would be worth looking at.

I don't know which model was recommended, I'd be looking at something with 4GB of RAM and 32GB of storage around that price.

Cheshireclaret

Post by Cheshireclaret » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:44 pm

Thanks guys and yes aggi, it certainly had that level of storage. The Acer CB3-431 is the one in question (only 2GB of RAM, however).

Helpful everyone, thank you - looks like a Chromebook might be the best option.

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2949 times
Has Liked: 2063 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:02 am

Best buy Acer Chromebook - 4GB RAM and 32 GB eMMC - £279.99

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... pcho416-21" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sutton-Claret
Been Liked: 378 times
Has Liked: 164 times

Post by Sutton-Claret » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:05 am

I'd stay away from any laptop with only 2GB RAM - it'll barely have the capacity to run the operating system.
This user liked this post: starting_11

chipbutty
Been Liked: 133 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Post by chipbutty » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:28 am

Any views on this?
http://ao.com/product/linx12x64bun-linx ... igidip_net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

beddie
Been Liked: 1383 times
Has Liked: 511 times

Post by beddie » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:44 am

This is one we are thinking of getting. Hope the link works. Just give it a few seconds to filter up to the actual lap top.

http://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/laptop-a ... 3537&ven2=~" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

starting_11
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 826 times

Post by starting_11 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:48 am

Wait till Friday is my biggest advice.

starting_11

Post by starting_11 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:56 am

Thinking about the Chrombook suggestion - the problem with any "niche" software/hardware is a lack of compatability.

Given that schools will still be using MS Office, this could cause her issues if this is the primary use.

Ask her what software she is familiar with/using and make a decision as to what type to go for based on that.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:16 am

You need office really if you are going to be using it for school work.

We've got the same issue for our nine year old, and we don't know what to get.

aggi

Post by aggi » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:35 am

chipbutty wrote:Any views on this?
http://ao.com/product/linx12x64bun-linx ... igidip_net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I haven't used that one specifically but have used a few of the cheap Windows laptops and some Linx 2-in-1s and they haven't been particularly good. They have a slow processor so they start off pretty slow and get slower and the lack of storage is more of an issue running Windows.

At the low end of the price scale the Windows laptops are false economies and the chromebooks would be far more usable.

If you want a cheap Windows laptop then buy second-hand from somewhere that refurbishes old office machines. You'll get something much more powerful and usable for the same price. The only issue is generally that the battery life isn't as good. Obviously that may not be much good for a christmas present though.
This user liked this post: chipbutty

aggi

Post by aggi » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:38 am

beddie wrote:This is one we are thinking of getting. Hope the link works. Just give it a few seconds to filter up to the actual lap top.

http://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/laptop-a ... 3537&ven2=~" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You realise that doesn't come with Windows, it's also fairly underpowered and pretty heavy.

aggi

Post by aggi » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:42 am

In terms of Office, I'd have a look whether that really is the case. A lot are using Google Docs now or the free Online version of Office. In a lot of cases it doesn't really matter what the work is done on.

Also bear in mind that Office is generally subscription based now. A lot of the laptops have a free year and then it is ~£40 a year after that.

TheOriginalLongsider
Been Liked: 426 times
Has Liked: 219 times

Post by TheOriginalLongsider » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:44 am

I’d ask her teacher whether a chromebook would be suitable as they will know what it will be used for.

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:46 am

If you see a laptop you like in PC World, buy it from Amazon instead. PC world are terrible and i'd say predatory towards the less IT-literate shoppers.

beddie

Post by beddie » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:56 pm

Aggi. Thanks for the info I had no idea I't didn't have Windows. Taking on what you said about 4GB of Ram and 32 GB of storage could you advise what this means on the Curry's Lenovo at £299 - 1 TB HDD, 5400 rpm which shows under storage. Also is the better model they show at £399 much better. Thanks.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:00 pm

beddie wrote:Aggi. Thanks for the info I had no idea I't didn't have Windows. Taking on what you said about 4GB of Ram and 32 GB of storage could you advise what this means on the Curry's Lenovo at £299 - 1 TB HDD, 5400 rpm which shows under storage. Also is the better model they show at £399 much better. Thanks.
Everything I have said about PC World also applies to Curry's/Dixons and any other massive brick & mortar retailer.

beddie

Post by beddie » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:12 pm

Imploding Turtle. Thank you for that. We're novices on this I just wondered what opinion you had on the Lenova, especially the mention of 32GB and 4GB of Ram mentioned on my last post. We're retired and require something reasonably quick to operate for the odd letter, to store a good amount of photos. We can add Word & Excel ourselves for £10.00 (the wife likes excel). My problem is I get fustrated if their slow booting up hence. Thanks in advance.

aggi

Post by aggi » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:20 pm

beddie wrote:Aggi. Thanks for the info I had no idea I't didn't have Windows. Taking on what you said about 4GB of Ram and 32 GB of storage could you advise what this means on the Curry's Lenovo at £299 - 1 TB HDD, 5400 rpm which shows under storage. Also is the better model they show at £399 much better. Thanks.
I assume this is what you're referring to https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing ... 5-pdt.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The 32GB of storage was re: Chromebooks, you'd want more on a Windows machine. Either the 1TB drive on this one or the 128GB SSD on the model up.

Both look reasonable and should be perfectly usable. The more expensive one is faster, a better processor and an SSD which is a lot faster (although smaller so you may need additional storage for lots of photos, etc) and it will boot up quicker. The £300 one is fine, the £400 one is better if you want to spend another £100 but you don't have to to get something reasonable.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:30 pm

What's the intended use for the laptop?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-Inspiron- ... =srch&th=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These laptops are good everyday runners if it's for general use.

the £399 one is fine. decent i3 CPU and 4gb ram with 1tb hdd. But if you're going for an i3 system you may as well go for the £419 version with 4gb more ram.

If you want to be able to have tons of Chrome tabs open at the same time, but application speed isn't vital, then the £349 version with a Pentium CPU and 8GB ram is plenty. Still a fine CPU for light, general use though.

But if you're not going to be using a massive amount of storage space with videos or games then it might be worth going for a laptop with an SSD instead of a HDD.

This one would be perfectly fineand is pretty cheap at £350 but it's refurbished from Refurb IT MCR. Reasonably though. They have 95% positive ratings from 75 total ratings. It has an older CPU but that's perfectly OK.

New though it's tough to find a good SSD laptop Windows 10 laptop on Amazon below £500. The only one i'd consider is this one which will serve you well for years.

Also, and this is important. Never put McAfee on your laptop. If you buy a laptop from Curry's and it has McAfee on it, return it. Don't waste your time trying to remove it. I'm not joking. If PCs could get cancer it'd be from McAfee. Using McAfee for PC security is like using a drug addict and convicted thief to protect your valuables.

aggi

Post by aggi » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:57 pm

I'd go with the PC World Lenovo at £299 rather than the Amazon Dell at £399. They're pretty much the same specs but the discount on the Lenovo means it's better value. Similarly the £399 Lenovo is better than the linked SSD one.

Ultimately though, if I was buying for me I'd go with a refurbed one. I'd look at these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-Think ... 953d66c5c3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Minimum spec for a very usable £165 laptop or 8GB of RAM and 240GB SSD for a very good £250 laptop much better than the £299 Lenovo (or the £399 one as well).

beddie

Post by beddie » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:30 pm

Aggi. When you mention £165.00 do you mean this one that you attached as a link at £154.99. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-Think ... 953d66c5c3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks.

starting_11

Post by starting_11 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:04 pm

+1 on the SSD.

Small ones are cheap these days and if boot time if your enemy, you'll go from power on to being on your desktop in about 30 seconds with one.
These 2 users liked this post: Lancasterclaret IAmAClaret

IAmAClaret
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 306 times

Post by IAmAClaret » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:02 pm

beddie - SSD is the biggest performance increase you will notice. I'd be looking at a 256GB SSD and using cloud storage for photos etc from either Google/Dropbox etc - the added benefit they are then backed up for you too.
This user liked this post: starting_11

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2317 times
Has Liked: 1399 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:13 pm

You might get more value in reconditioned laptops for your money. You won't tell the difference.

Clarinetclaret
Been Liked: 130 times
Has Liked: 6 times

Post by Clarinetclaret » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:24 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:What's the intended use for the laptop?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-Inspiron- ... =srch&th=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These laptops are good everyday runners if it's for general use.

the £399 one is fine. decent i3 CPU and 4gb ram with 1tb hdd. But if you're going for an i3 system you may as well go for the £419 version with 4gb more ram.

If you want to be able to have tons of Chrome tabs open at the same time, but application speed isn't vital, then the £349 version with a Pentium CPU and 8GB ram is plenty. Still a fine CPU for light, general use though.

But if you're not going to be using a massive amount of storage space with videos or games then it might be worth going for a laptop with an SSD instead of a HDD.

This one would be perfectly fineand is pretty cheap at £350 but it's refurbished from Refurb IT MCR. Reasonably though. They have 95% positive ratings from 75 total ratings. It has an older CPU but that's perfectly OK.

New though it's tough to find a good SSD laptop Windows 10 laptop on Amazon below £500. The only one i'd consider is this one which will serve you well for years.

Also, and this is important. Never put McAfee on your laptop. If you buy a laptop from Curry's and it has McAfee on it, return it. Don't waste your time trying to remove it. I'm not joking. If PCs could get cancer it'd be from McAfee. Using McAfee for PC security is like using a drug addict and convicted thief to protect your valuables.
Haha I knew this prat would be along. The guy who thinks you can do 4k gaming mainstream for 400 pounds because some dudes off the internet managed to run about 2 games at 5 frames per second.
Have you decided to do something with your life yet other than sitting on here all day?

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:25 pm

starting_11 wrote:+1 on the SSD.

Small ones are cheap these days and if boot time if your enemy, you'll go from power on to being on your desktop in about 30 seconds with one.
If it's taking you 30 seconds to boot with an SSD then your SSD sucks monkey nuts :p

aggi

Post by aggi » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:30 pm

beddie wrote:Aggi. When you mention £165.00 do you mean this one that you attached as a link at £154.99. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-Think ... 953d66c5c3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks.
Yep. That's the one.

They're refurbished business laptops so they won't look particularly pretty but they'll be tough and designed to last.

I'd also look at this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FAST-Lenovo- ... 0ZuVjl92FQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Same kind of thing but more compact and lighter (although no CD/DVD). Base model for £140 or upgrade RAM and SSD for £230. Probably the best keyboard of any laptop.

starting_11

Post by starting_11 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:16 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:If it's taking you 30 seconds to boot with an SSD then your SSD sucks monkey nuts :p
No but my BIOS takes about 20 seconds

starting_11

Post by starting_11 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:17 pm

IAmAClaret wrote:beddie - SSD is the biggest performance increase you will notice. I'd be looking at a 256GB SSD and using cloud storage for photos etc from either Google/Dropbox etc - the added benefit they are then backed up for you too.
To say I was skeptical about SSD's is an understatement. Now I wouldn't live without one and would certainly promote the fact that it's one of the best upgrades you could ever do.

Cheshireclaret

Post by Cheshireclaret » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:44 pm

Thanks to everyone for their help on this topic. Having taken everything (that I could understand) on board above, spoken to our resident IT guru at work and also consulted with my daughter as to which programmes she is familiar with, I've purchased the £299.99 Lenovo laptop.

All help is greatly appreciated - once again, Up The Clarets to the rescue!

Cheshire

Walt
Been Liked: 113 times
Has Liked: 148 times

Post by Walt » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:58 pm

I've always found ebuyer to be a good site to consider too

starting_11

Post by starting_11 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:02 pm

Should have waited until friday...

beddie

Post by beddie » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:06 pm

Cheshire. Sorry I gate crashed your post, being a pensioner I've learned a lot from our lap top specialist. Glad you've got fixed up, I hope it's okay for your daughter. My wife and I like the look of the one you've decided on so we may end up with it.
Thanks to aggi and imploding turf for all your help, your knowledge has been invaluable. It's a great site is this one.

Cheshireclaret

Post by Cheshireclaret » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:58 pm

No apology necessary at all, you're more than welcome.

As for waiting for Friday - I'm driving down to Butlins in Minehead for the darts on Friday morning so will be smashed from Friday lunchtime until Sunday night. I'd probably end up buying her a tumble dryer!!!!

Managed to get 10% cash back anyway :)
This user liked this post: Walt

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:01 pm

A heads up for anyone who doesn't heed the advice to avoid PC World/Curry's when buying Laptops and PCs, this was posted on the UK subreddit two hours ago.

I have witnessed this in several stores in the South West area, notably Plymouth, Exeter Stone Lane and Torquay branches.
The scam is that upon purchase, they will offer you a £20 to £30 discount for going to "the desk in the corner" (or whatever) in the "business" area.
They wont tell you they are processing the sale as a business sale. They will insist if you catch on that there is no difference, you just save some money with the discount. in one case I saw they even offered to make up a new business account under your own name and home address and invoice everything together.

Unless you are a business, DO NOT ALLOW THEM TO DO THIS. Processing the sale as a "business to business" sale effectively nullifies you SOGA rights - you are no longer entitled to a 28 day return/exchange/refund period in-store at least, and you will have a hard time having any "normal" comeback within the store as soon as they spot your sale was business they will shrug off any enquiry and point you to their business support telephone numbers.
Be especially wary over this around Christmas time when buying gifts that wont be opened until Christmas that have the potential to be faulty.

Edit to add: This actually happened to me before I realised it upon purchase of a laptop. A couple weeks later it went faulty on a trip to another city to see some friends, and the branch in that city outright refused to assist me or offer any kind of exchange, repair or refund as it was a business sale.
Only after I started making a very loud fuss in front of other customers about how the original branch (Plymouth) effectively nullified my rights without my consent, and how Trading Standards would be very interested to hear about it, did the manager give in and refund the laptop.

EDIT 2 I should add that by "witnessing" this, aside from my own direct experience - I have been in there buying ink and stuff and seen customers being shuffled over to their business area for a sit-down with the same two sales guys a multitude of times.
The company pull **** like this all the time and have made other appearances on the UK subreddit for similar reasons in recent years.
https://www.reddit.com/r/unitedkingdom/ ... ance&t=all" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2619 times
Has Liked: 6416 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:12 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:A heads up for anyone who doesn't heed the advice to avoid PC World/Curry's when buying Laptops and PCs, this was posted on the UK subreddit two hours ago.

The company pull **** like this all the time and have made other appearances on the UK subreddit for similar reasons in recent years.
https://www.reddit.com/r/unitedkingdom/ ... ance&t=all" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They tried that scam with me, I was in my “civilian” clothes and not my Uni IT Dept polo shirt - by the time I’d finished berating them and demanding to speak to the manager I’d got another 20% off the Black Friday deal for my good lady’s new HP Last year, only went in to touch and feel before buying online, came out saving nearly £200 :)

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:21 pm

Rick_Muller wrote:They tried that scam with me, I was in my “civilian” clothes and not my Uni IT Dept polo shirt - by the time I’d finished berating them and demanding to speak to the manager I’d got another 20% off the Black Friday deal for my good lady’s new HP Last year, only went in to touch and feel before buying online, came out saving nearly £200 :)

They were doing this two years ago
https://www.reddit.com/r/unitedkingdom/ ... ptop_from/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Which? got involved
And PC World's response.
https://www.reddit.com/r/unitedkingdom/ ... _to_which/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But they were still doing it.
https://www.reddit.com/r/unitedkingdom/ ... ra_35_for/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Until Which? got involved again
https://www.reddit.com/r/unitedkingdom/ ... th_currys/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit: got links messed up.
Last edited by Imploding Turtle on Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

If it be your will
Been Liked: 500 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by If it be your will » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:23 pm

Last edited by If it be your will on Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chipbutty

Post by chipbutty » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:17 am

Any advice on this from HP please? For a 10 year old for basic school stuff, YouTube, low level gaming like SIMS and Roblox.

http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Produ ... BU&sel=NTB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:29 am

I suggest doing whatever Mrs Chesire suggests, just to keep her happy.

aggi

Post by aggi » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:34 pm

chipbutty wrote:Any advice on this from HP please? For a 10 year old for basic school stuff, YouTube, low level gaming like SIMS and Roblox.

http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Produ ... BU&sel=NTB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'd get this instead for £40 more (and it also comes in blue) https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing ... 5-pdt.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

32GB of storage is too low for a Windows 10 device and the processor isn't much cop.
This user liked this post: chipbutty

chipbutty

Post by chipbutty » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:50 pm

aggi wrote:I'd get this instead for £40 more (and it also comes in blue) https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing ... 5-pdt.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

32GB of storage is too low for a Windows 10 device and the processor isn't much cop.
I think I`d already talked myself out of that one, would be buying another next Christmas!

Is this 14" HP better due to the SSD?

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/7399707" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Foshiznik
Been Liked: 714 times
Has Liked: 1998 times
Location: Computer matrix, IP not found- current code: 00101110100101001100100 1011101010100010101101010100100

Post by Foshiznik » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:56 pm

It's for a bloody 10 year old chaps.

Why is everyone saying you need SSD or a powerful processor? She's going to be web browsing, chatting to friends and doing homework on it. SSD may be more stable and quicker to boot up, but for the price, it is overkill for a small child doing the aforementioned tasks.

For what it's worth, i would go for this:- https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-Black-L ... B01M2YOST2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As a kid, I would want this one but maybe buy a extra SD card too - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-X5-Z855 ... 9708207031" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Foshiznik on Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chipbutty

Post by chipbutty » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:06 pm

Foshiznik wrote:It's for a bloody 10 year old chaps.

Why is everyone saying you need SSD or a powerful processor? She's going to be web browsing, chatting to friends and doing homework on it. SSD may be more stable, but for the price, it is overkill for a small child.
Thanks for your helpful input!
I need two, for 10 and soon to be 12 year olds.
They will need the stuff you mentioned along with basic games SIMS, ROBLOX etc.

I`d rather spend a little more so they can enjoy using the machine rather than getting annoyed with it`s slow speed.
Any suggestions?

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:08 pm

I've just tried to use that argument on my wife for my eight year old Chipbutty.

He's not getting any of the above now.

My arguments about long term thinking etc etc etc just fell on deaf ears

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:09 pm

Foshiznik wrote:It's for a bloody 10 year old chaps.

Why is everyone saying you need SSD or a powerful processor? She's going to be web browsing, chatting to friends and doing homework on it. SSD may be more stable, but for the price, it is overkill for a small child.
If it's for a child, who might not always be the most gentle of users when it comes to laying it down, an SSD is much more preferable to a HDD.
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller