Atmosphere on Saturday

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
what_no_pies
Been Liked: 495 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Atmosphere on Saturday

Post by what_no_pies » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:03 pm

Swansea was the first game I made it down for in a little while and the lack of any real support other than coming from the cricket field end was a shock. I know the atmosphere suffers a little at home for various reasons but we're flying high in the best league in the world and have the best group of players and a highly sought after manager. Despite this being as good as it's likely to ever get we still failed miserably in offering any real vocal support. Flat as a fart it was. The 20k+ gates show we do recognise the achievements so why is everyone sitting on their hands?

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2949 times
Has Liked: 2063 times

Re: Atmosphere on Saturday

Post by Funkydrummer » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:07 pm

Or staying at home, much like yourself.

For whatever reason.
This user liked this post: turfytopper

karatekid
Been Liked: 1103 times
Has Liked: 316 times

Post by karatekid » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:15 pm

Probably the real lack of new songs. We are fed up of hearing/singing the same 2 or 3. There must be some lyricists out there.
This user liked this post: andyh

Leisure
Been Liked: 3772 times
Has Liked: 12363 times

Post by Leisure » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:16 pm

The atmosphere at the Turf is no worse than many other Premier League clubs and most of them have far bigger gates. This season I can think of Chelsea, Liverpool, Everton and Man City where the atmosphere from the home fans was far worse than the Turf.
This user liked this post: turfytopper

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:23 pm

1, Speed singers
2, A limited repertoire
3, An ageing support, who are no longer willing
4, Downtrodden (don't do that, don't sing that, don't stand up)
5, Too many fans think it's just entertainment, like going to the pictures
6, The younger fans are discouraged in expressing themselves
7, The banning of characters or knobheads, depending on your thoughts
These 2 users liked this post: Dazzler lucs86

tybfc
Been Liked: 1304 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by tybfc » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:33 pm

Posts 1 & 4 hit the nail on the head.

There is no atmosphere from home fans anywhere anymore.

Imagine Ewood with 3710 fans in a ground that holds 33000. I bet that was deafening!

Sidney1st
Been Liked: 3547 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Sidney1st » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:35 pm

The atmosphere was pretty crap at Wembley when we played Spurs.

I've been to a City game at the Etihad and watched the home crowd out sang by the away fans and it wasn't a Burnley game.

I'm expecting Bournemouth to be better next week.

When I was sat in the Arsenal end during our cup game last season it wasn't great either.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:41 pm

it lacks atmosphere because the modern game has gone a long way in trying to entice families and regarding passion as a bad thing.
Seats, corporate nonsense, regimented applause, allotted time slots for everything. The "bad old days" were seen as counter productive, abuse, fighting, supposedly putting off genuine supporters. Probably true, but it also killed off a rawness and earthiness which allowed screaming fans to back the team. Songs/chants, were organic, nobody came on messageboards asking for lyrics.
Opposition fans were shouted down,
The era we watch football in nowadays doesn't tolerate originality or enthusiasm unless it has been sanctioned by the clubs.
You cannot manufacture atmosphere. Tribalism is looked upon as dirty, fair enough, but when the directors want "singing" sections, you just know the game is over.
These 10 users liked this post: Bin Ont Turf Anonymous tybfc Yahoo [Bot] Shappie bobinho claretgimmer lucs86 spadesclaret tim_noone

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 929 times

Post by CombatClaret » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:00 am

I was in with the home fans at the Spurs game as my housemate is a fan and had a spare ticket. With the lovely sunny weather, polite applause for good moves etc he commented it felt like the atmosphere at cricket game :lol:

tybfc

Post by tybfc » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:04 am

I am a member at Lancashire County Cricket Club.

The atmosphere at their t20 games is far better than any premier league footy matches.

Culmclaret
Been Liked: 472 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by Culmclaret » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:45 am

To be honest, I don't notice because the football is so absorbing. When it was c**p I bothered more about the atmosphere.
These 2 users liked this post: turfytopper ElectroClaret

clitheroeclaret2
Been Liked: 82 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by clitheroeclaret2 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:46 am

For me all seater "stadiums" has been the biggest single reason.

Bring back the Longside
This user liked this post: Mansfield-Claret

50 shades of Grey
Been Liked: 332 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by 50 shades of Grey » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:12 am

Well, I'm in the CFS, and around me where I stand, the atmosphere's great most of the time. Having visited many grounds over the years, I reckon it's about as 'old school' as you're going to get these days. Obviously, the majority of our more vocal supporters are congregated in the CFS, so it's had a negative effect on the other parts of the ground.

I went to Anfield the other week, and the chant 'it's just a ground full of tourists' was never truer. It's was the most soulless environment I've ever watched football in. I know Burnley's not a big game for Liverpool and all that, but even so, it's was just abysmal.

Bring back terracing and let the nutters back in. Problem solved.

UTC NNN.

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 493 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:21 am

Atmosphere at football matches has definitely changed over the last 25 years. I can remember coming down Brunshaw Road as it was, around 2.30 and hearing singing and chanting from both sets of supporters in the 60's and 70's. This put a spring in the step and made the heart race that bit quicker. I have been on Old Trafford in the 60's and the ground has been full at 2pm with fans swaying back and forth in the Stretford End. All seater stadium and ticket admission only have had a bearing as well as cost.

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 429 times
Has Liked: 365 times

Post by Loyalclaret » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:46 am

I arrive late for most matches, walking through Brunshaw once you get to Lyndurst Rd you can hear the Cricketfield singing every home game.

It usually quietens down after 10 minutes, unless there’s a few goals/tackles.

Even before the home fans went in there the atmosphere had gone in JHU compared to when say Coyle was here.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:57 am

As said think it's like this for most home fans these days. The best atmospheres are invariably when you are in the away end.

That said I was listening to the Sevilla game on the radio on the way home last night and the home fans sounded brilliant in the 2nd half.

Football has changed a lot - and much quieter grounds are definitely one of the downsides (along side no tackling, diving, Jose Mourinho, too many crap pundits, transfer windows, FIFA, international breaks, etc etc etc !!!)

SparkyClaret
Been Liked: 55 times
Has Liked: 149 times

Post by SparkyClaret » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:27 am

Speed singing definitely dents chances of generating a lot of noise, as they’ve usually swapped songs by the time the noise travels to the Jimmy Mac stand. As much as we all hate Leeds, them slowly and clearly singing Marching On Together makes it easier for everyone in their end to join in, no matter how much they had to sniff/drink.

As for lyricists, the last time I heard an inventive new Burnley chant was the one Barton did for Ben Mee, but it was widely believed that was shite, and instead we chose to say BenMee to the tune of Hi Ho. Presumably because when you’re coked off your tits, it’s easier to remember.

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1044 times
Has Liked: 815 times

Post by ClaretAL » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:31 am

Hate to say it as I was a massive advocate of getting home fans in the CFS, but I feel because all the fans who sing opted to go in there that has nullified the 5 to 6 other fans who may have sat around them in say JHU to join in, afterall it is infectious and fans are like sheep with the 1 club mentality and I just feel for every 1 that has gone in the CFS 5 fans have been silenced and then the 5 to every one of those 5 the same and so on.

what_no_pies
Been Liked: 495 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by what_no_pies » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:33 am

Funkydrummer wrote:Or staying at home, much like yourself.

For whatever reason.
There's a whole boatload of reasons I can't make a 250 mile round trip every time. I have a season ticket and get on away games too. I'd say I go further than most in my attempts to support the team - including joining in a few songs unlike the vast majority.

Seems to me everybody would like a better atmosphere but not many willing to do anything much about creating one.

It's up to us people. It ain't gonna get much better than this so it's time to back up those claims of how good our support is.

boiledclaret
Been Liked: 389 times
Has Liked: 1022 times

Post by boiledclaret » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:46 am

Being exiled, It's been a few years since I've been on the Turf. From experience, my memories are of fans trying to get a song going whilst being stared at by the people around them.
Some wannabe singers were even told to shush.

I bet these same people go on social media afterwards, complaining about the atmosphere.

ebby
Been Liked: 60 times
Has Liked: 259 times

Post by ebby » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:11 am

I watched the gunners v spurs game and then Burnley on the TV here in Oz last saturday.
The atmosphere & singing were incomparable.
Granted there were few away fans but the atmosphere seemed very sedementry.
However, when Burnley play away you cannot fail to hear them.
Go figure.

LawsCanalJump
Been Liked: 119 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Post by LawsCanalJump » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:18 am

I for one stand in the CFS primarily for the atmosphere and it slightly annoys me when we are in full sing song and you look around the ground and bar a few in JHU there is hardly anyone joining in
There was a thread on here about introducing flags etc into the CFS to generate more of an atmosphere and weren't the club up for it?
Flags/banners chosen by the fans, dished out by the club before each game (No safety issue if club store them and hand out)
You never know maybe even a drummer at the front? Apologies if this means you can't bang a woman but it will excite you in another way
I was recently at a hockey game in Germany with a capacity of 5k and they had flags, drums etc and it created a better atmosphere then any premier league ground

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3843 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:22 am

The Longside started a few songs on Saturday which I haven't heard for a while, but it was probably down to it being our best home performance.

Football has become too family/middle class based and most Burnley songs contain swear words.

CnBtruntru
Been Liked: 694 times
Has Liked: 602 times

Post by CnBtruntru » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:34 am

One word sums it all up "Seats" as soon as all grounds had to have them, good atmospheres are now a thing of the past, plus the fact we are playing too well :D

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2367 times
Has Liked: 3781 times

Post by JohnMac » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:00 am

People are too busy writing down the various Sponsors during the game in case they later need a new tyre/table/trumpet*

UpTheBeehole
Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 496 times

Post by UpTheBeehole » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:06 am

I wouldn't say that the Turf has gone middle class, and the corporate side of things is very small.

The truth is that since the singers moved into the Cricket Field, the inhabitants of the James Hargreaves and the Jimmy Mac have simply stopped singing.

This is no one's fault but those who sit in those stands.

F*cking sing, you miserable sods.
These 2 users liked this post: ten bellies Lord Beamish

ArmchairDetective
Been Liked: 397 times
Has Liked: 367 times

Post by ArmchairDetective » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:10 am

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but is one of the reasons for a dying atmosphere that the majority of fans who formerly made noise in other stands have now moved over to the CFS and make a point of saying that other stands don't make noise anymore?

That's not a dig, but a question. Due to work commitments my attendance at the turf this season has been lower than I would have liked.

Leisure
Been Liked: 3772 times
Has Liked: 12363 times

Post by Leisure » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:51 pm

For me for the ground to have a decent atmosphere from the start you need to allow the fans to sing pre kick-off but this is impossible with the music over the tannpy being played right up to kick-off. I've noticed this also seems to happen at all grounds and wondered if it was a directive from the Premier League? It does seem to be an attempt to prevent any singing/atmosphere before the kick-off.
These 2 users liked this post: BleedingClaret Whitgord

ten bellies
Been Liked: 237 times
Has Liked: 1283 times

Post by ten bellies » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:01 pm

And to the coked up speed singers, slow down so everyone can join in.

staustellclaret
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by staustellclaret » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:04 pm

First time I attended on Saturday for a good 18 mths and having heard about the lack of atmosphere ( through this board ) actually didn't thing it was that bad . The only thing I would say is that normally the away supporters create an atmosphere however I cant remember Swansea actually singing . Cant remember a worse set of away fans for vocally encouraging there teams

JTClaret
Been Liked: 181 times
Has Liked: 119 times

Post by JTClaret » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:45 pm

I must admit I'm surprised you don't hear 'Sean Dyche's Claret and Blue Army' much at all.
I know it doesn't exactly roll off the tongue but it wasn't that long ago we had 'Brian Laws' C&B Army' going for about 10 minutes.
The speed of them is ridiculous as well, as mentioned, by the time it's got going, and really gets to the Jimmy Mac stand, it's over, and just one big slur.

If the CFS can get a song going, even if just a 'come on Burnley' and kept it going, I'm pretty sure the longer it's going for the more join in, knowing that that is what they are doing, joining in. The longer it goes for the better it gets, the better the atmosphere.

I mention 'come on Burnley' as I know I tend to give one big one now and then, but don't really chant as such, and imagine a lot do the same.
If something is still going I know even if I didn't join in I'd give a few more big ones and probably be compelled to just join as as others do the same. I know it's a bit of a cop out, and I'm telling others what to do, but that's how I see it, and would be very surprised if others didn't think the same.

I'd also like to hear 'um ba ba' - get that going and it really will create an atmosphere!

spadesclaret
Been Liked: 2147 times
Has Liked: 3782 times

Post by spadesclaret » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:06 pm

Wile E Coyote wrote:it lacks atmosphere because the modern game has gone a long way in trying to entice families and regarding passion as a bad thing.
Seats, corporate nonsense, regimented applause, allotted time slots for everything. The "bad old days" were seen as counter productive, abuse, fighting, supposedly putting off genuine supporters. Probably true, but it also killed off a rawness and earthiness which allowed screaming fans to back the team. Songs/chants, were organic, nobody came on messageboards asking for lyrics.
Opposition fans were shouted down,
The era we watch football in nowadays doesn't tolerate originality or enthusiasm unless it has been sanctioned by the clubs.
You cannot manufacture atmosphere. Tribalism is looked upon as dirty, fair enough, but when the directors want "singing" sections, you just know the game is over.
Very good post.

Co-incidentally, the following article appeared in today's Eastern Daily Press regarding lack of atmosphere at Norwich City's home games. Perhaps Wile's post should be forwarded to them.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-ci ... -1-5290770" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:43 pm

what_no_pies wrote:Swansea was the first game I made it down for in a little while and the lack of any real support other than coming from the cricket field end was a shock. I know the atmosphere suffers a little at home for various reasons but we're flying high in the best league in the world and have the best group of players and a highly sought after manager. Despite this being as good as it's likely to ever get we still failed miserably in offering any real vocal support. Flat as a fart it was. The 20k+ gates show we do recognise the achievements so why is everyone sitting on their hands?
Part timer. You want to get on t turf more and get behind the lads, instead of Slagging the regulars off

AlfieClaret

Post by AlfieClaret » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:43 pm

I always try and start chants in Jimmy Mac end but they never catch on. We need to not only make the Turf horrible for their players, but their fans to. UTC

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:26 am

If we can't get it going this Saturday we never will...I like to think there is a good atmosphere tbh especially when going forward against the so called big boys.we have a four point lead with a win over spurs,there can be no bigger incentive to raise the roof!!

tybfc

Post by tybfc » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:58 am

We raised the roof at Ewood a few years ago and got told off for it :twisted:

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4045 times
Has Liked: 1846 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:29 am

Leisure wrote:....but this is impossible with the music over the tannoy being played right up to kick-off. .
Exactly, Pete. It's f**king deafening, you can't speak, shut the fu*k*r off. :(
These 2 users liked this post: Leisure BleedingClaret

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2103 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:50 am

Leisure wrote:For me for the ground to have a decent atmosphere from the start you need to allow the fans to sing pre kick-off but this is impossible with the music over the tannpy being played right up to kick-off. I've noticed this also seems to happen at all grounds and wondered if it was a directive from the Premier League? It does seem to be an attempt to prevent any singing/atmosphere before the kick-off.
I wouldnt mind if the pre match playlist was geared towards songs that got peoples blood pumping a little instead of the generic guff.

Maybe go down the Palace route of having a song play before games that'll have a singalong vibe?

BleedingClaret
Been Liked: 985 times
Has Liked: 1656 times

Post by BleedingClaret » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:53 pm

bfccrazy wrote:I wouldnt mind if the pre match playlist was geared towards songs that got peoples blood pumping a little instead of the generic guff.

Maybe go down the Palace route of having a song play before games that'll have a singalong vibe?
If that happens I will have to kill myself

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2103 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:22 pm

BleedingClaret wrote:If that happens I will have to kill myself
As mentioned on another thread - I'd love to have "Forever in Blue Jeans" playing before kick off.

BleedingClaret

Post by BleedingClaret » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:58 pm

bfccrazy wrote:As mentioned on another thread - I'd love to have "Forever in Blue Jeans" playing before kick off.
I'll bring the happy clappers if you bring the drum
Whilst we're at it we can tie our scarves around our wrists and twirl them round our heads Brighton esque

BleedingClaret

Post by BleedingClaret » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:04 pm

If you go on to your your tablet/Laptop find the screen brightness adjuster set it to the middle point.
If you turn it up to the brightest setting, we'll call this the deafening prematch music setting then turn it back to the mid setting it looks dim
If you then turn it down to the lowest setting we'll call this natural quietness then gradually build it up to the mid setting it looks bright.
If the noise was allowed to naturally rise to the kick off din it would be good
However as the deafening PA turns off there is a strange awkward awareness of the stadium noise.
Last edited by BleedingClaret on Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wilf Mbanga
Been Liked: 66 times
Has Liked: 47 times

Post by Wilf Mbanga » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:05 pm

Beer drives the atmosphere. Tomorrow will be great. Early kick offs are always drab - atmosphere wise. A later Saturday kick off vs a big team with a chance to win are always bouncing.

Fireguard
Been Liked: 22 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by Fireguard » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:58 pm

The type of defensive football we play for much of a game doesn't lend itself to over excitement. The singing is good at the start of a game but wears down after a short while. Nature of the beast I'm afraid. In games Where we get it together and play some great football the atmosphere has been superb.

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:23 pm

Plastic clappers - that's what we need!

Andreshotboots
Been Liked: 647 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by Andreshotboots » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:11 pm

Free beer for all from an hour before kick off then the omen music we used to play a few years ago...atmoshphere sorted!!!!