Cricket: Can someone explain..

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Diesel
Been Liked: 1228 times
Has Liked: 391 times

Cricket: Can someone explain..

Post by Diesel » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:10 am

...why/how the 'conditions' make such a big difference to how the ball 'behaves'?

Sounds like a load of nonsense to me.

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Re: Cricket: Can someone explain..

Post by Imploding Turtle » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:14 am

SammyBoy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 434 times

Post by SammyBoy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:15 am

The ball turns and bounces differently dependent on what condition the pitch is in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricket_pitch

UpTheBeehole
Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 496 times

Post by UpTheBeehole » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:20 am

Diesel wrote:...why/how the 'conditions' make such a big difference to how the ball 'behaves'?

If it's raining it gets right wet and becomes all slippery.

RocketLawnChair
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 832 times

Post by RocketLawnChair » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:21 am

UpTheBeehole wrote:If it's raining it gets right wet and becomes all slippery.
He's talking about cricket not your blow up doll..
This user liked this post: Shappie

UpTheBeehole

Post by UpTheBeehole » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:26 am

Their helmets get all wet too.
This user liked this post: houseboy

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:42 am

Diesel wrote:...why/how the 'conditions' make such a big difference to how the ball 'behaves'?

A ball bouncing on hard ground will bounce differently than a ball bouncing on wetter ground. Also the amount and height of any grass on the pitch will affect that bounce.

You've then got the difference in how the ball deteriorates physically through that process. This changes it and therefore further interactions with anything it touches including not just the pitch but also the bowler's hand.

On the other side, you have the still not entirely understood way the ball travels through the air which makes it swing; again moisture playing a large part in that.

Finally, in this series the ball will behave differently depending on which team's batting; regularly taking itself off to the boundary while Australia bat and more frequently hitting the stumps when they aren't.

Sausage
Been Liked: 637 times
Has Liked: 441 times

Post by Sausage » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:55 am

Some of it is science, some of it is mystery. The science bit relates to the flow of air around the cricket ball when it is bowled. The air passes around the shiny side of the ball more quickly than the rough, dull side. This produces aerodynamic drag which helps the ball swing. In overcast conditions, the perceived wisdom is that swing is often (but not always) more pronounced. However, some people believe this is utter nonsense and that the primary factor is that the ball isn't perfectly round and no two balls - especially the hand stitched ones used in England - are ever the same. Hence, sometimes you get swing, sometimes you don't.

As for the pitches, I'll leave others to comment on that as it's always baffled me.

Foulthrow
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 1518 times

Post by Foulthrow » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:55 am

Go outside with a ball. Bounce it on some grass. As it's wet through at the moment said ball won't bounce that much.

Now find a dry, rock hard surface. Repeat the same experiment. Notice any difference?

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:28 am

Same reason reason a football behaves differently when kicked a long the grass in various conditions.

Same reason a football behaves differently when kicked high up in the air in various conditions

Same reason a football behaves differently when kicked in different areas of the ball, speed in which it's kicked and with different areas of the foot it is kicked.

A lot is to do with skill and practice, but like every outdoor sport, the weatger/conditions will always play a part.

It's just the skilled/experienced players know how to use it to their advantage.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:38 am

I thought this was to explain why anyone would watch it.
This user liked this post: Dazzler

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3861 times
Has Liked: 2070 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:38 am

Nobody has been able to work ball movement out yet. How do similar bowlers with the same ball make it move so different? Sometimes it swings early from the bowlers hand, sometimes late and even when it goes past the batsman.

There are theories on it that could cover 90% of deliveries. But it can't be fact as the same bowler, bowling the same delivery, in the same conditions and with the same ball will very rarely have the exact same outcome.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:39 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:I thought this was to explain why anyone would watch it.
It's your first name on here, you must love it?

pushpinpussy
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 134 times

Post by pushpinpussy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:06 pm

Funniest cricket quote ever

"It couldn't have been Gatt. Anything he takes up to his room after nine o'clock, he eats" - Ian Botham on the Mike Gatting barmaid scandal

tybfc
Been Liked: 1304 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by tybfc » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:57 pm

Talk / listen to Jimmy Anderson and he will explain better than anybody than I have ever heard on the way that a cricket ball swings and moves off the pitch in different parts of the world.

Fascinating on how much he has worked on the thought and bowling process which has made him England's best ever bowler.

bedfords
Been Liked: 121 times
Has Liked: 96 times

Post by bedfords » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:58 pm

tybfc wrote:England's best ever bowler.
Top wicket taker.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:41 pm

Sausage wrote:Some of it is science, some of it is mystery. The science bit relates to the flow of air around the cricket ball when it is bowled. The air passes around the shiny side of the ball more quickly than the rough, dull side. This produces aerodynamic drag which helps the ball swing. In overcast conditions, the perceived wisdom is that swing is often (but not always) more pronounced. However, some people believe this is utter nonsense and that the primary factor is that the ball isn't perfectly round and no two balls - especially the hand stitched ones used in England - are ever the same. Hence, sometimes you get swing, sometimes you don't.

As for the pitches, I'll leave others to comment on that as it's always baffled me.
I think the pitch bit is easier to understand than the other stuff because there is physical contact. The state of the ball is said to be why bowlers are seen rubbing it against their crotch to 'roughen up' one side of it. Personally I think it's because they are weird that way and rather like it.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:04 pm

houseboy wrote:I think the pitch bit is easier to understand than the other stuff because there is physical contact. The state of the ball is said to be why bowlers are seen rubbing it against their crotch to 'roughen up' one side of it. Personally I think it's because they are weird that way and rather like it.
Rubbing it against their pants makes it shiny not roughed up.

Somethingfishy
Been Liked: 728 times
Has Liked: 514 times

Post by Somethingfishy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:14 pm

It is all to do with air resistance and aerodynamics. The smooth shiny side of the ball will move faster through the air than the rough side casusing the ball to swerve or bend in mid air. This makes it harder to read for the batsman. Then there is the seam on the ball. Obviously depending on how the ball hits the ground and whether it catches the raised up bit will determine which angle the ball bounces off at. The hardness of the pitch is another variable which affects the bounce. If it is really dry and the pitch cracks then if the ball hits a crack (much like the seam) it will bounce off at another angle to its trajectory. Spinners often aim for scuffed up areas of the pitch as this helps the ball grip differently and accentuates the spin and makes it more unpredictable for the batsman.
The weather affects things too. A cloudy day will often be seen as good bowling conditions. This is something to do with the moisture in the air causing it to affect how the ball travels through the air.

Add all these together and you can see how hard it can be as a batsman to predict how the ball will bounce and move.

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2320 times
Has Liked: 2696 times

Post by fatboy47 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:53 pm

""England's best ever bowler.""

and top wicket taker.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3800 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:55 pm

Is it not obvious?

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:56 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:Rubbing it against their pants makes it shiny not roughed up.
Sorry about that - I don't actually like cricket.

UpTheBeehole

Post by UpTheBeehole » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:56 pm

There's a good Cricinfo article on swing here, written by a NASA scientist

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/co ... 58645.html

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:57 pm

houseboy wrote:Sorry about that - I don't actually like cricket.
I guessed, was just pointing it out.

Diesel
Been Liked: 1228 times
Has Liked: 391 times

Post by Diesel » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:10 pm

That's cleared that up then.

Dressinggown
Been Liked: 553 times
Has Liked: 79 times

Post by Dressinggown » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:14 pm

The way that a cricket ball behaves is only down to the relationship between weather conditions, pitch conditions, ball condition, bowler input/skill and the Dark Arts.

Shane Warne's 'Ball of the Century' is a great example. Upon leaving his hand the ball had a huge number of revolutions per second on it. This caused the ball to drift towards Mike Gatting's pads and dip late (bowler input, ball condition & atmosphere).

Upon pitching a yard down the leg side it turned through 90 degrees and bowled Gatting, hitting off his stump (Dark Arts).

Gatting shook his head and then left the ground never to be seen again.

Sky Sports regularly do 'Masterclasses' with some of the best ever former and current cricketers at breaks during the game. Jimmy Anderson explains swing superbly and then he produces the real deal with a real delivery.

Anyway, will you be up late tonight when we start our Ashes triumph down under ?