Budget 2017

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Re: Budget 2017

Post by MACCA » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:05 pm

keith1879 wrote:Post 1 has some pictorial graphics - coming to this thread late it does genuinely look to me as if your computer isn't rendering them properly.
UpTheBeehole wrote: Maybe you missed the day when they taught you to buy a computer which works

Yes as I'm using my computer :roll:
Attachments
Screenshot_20171122-170254.png
Screenshot_20171122-170254.png (100.3 KiB) Viewed 2248 times

karatekid
Been Liked: 1108 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by karatekid » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:08 pm

Lies, damn lies and statistics

hampsteadclaret
Been Liked: 1110 times
Has Liked: 802 times

Post by hampsteadclaret » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:19 am

I had decided to stay off the Politics threads for the forseeable, for any number of reasons..this being one of them..

46..RingoM...'Do any of the Lefties have one of their poxy little graphs to show what itd be by now!?'

Just because you don't understand them, is no reason to dismiss them as poxy - if you ask in a reasonable manner I am sure that someone will explain them to you...FWIW the charts/tables/stats on this thread are fine...look at the sources...they are from the Treasury or the ONS..they can be trusted; post 42 is unsourced but must be ONS, the stats look fine but paint a gloomy picture looking forward.

There is some stuff on this thread though, that needs a response.

post 8 - really..what is going on there?..and post 12??

post 15 - it would be a mistake I think to link increases in an unwanted but increasing National Debt, on immigrants.

For example take a random 1000 people entering the UK.
- If this group were working, producing, engaging, contributing, then it is likely that they would be paying Income taxes, VAT, Nat Ins, Council Taxes and other expenditure taxes; similarly it is likely that they would not be placing much of an additional burden on the welfare system, benefits etc.
In my example therefore, for these two reasons the National Debt would be falling not rising.

** IMO the National Debt figures are as poor as they are mainly because of AUSTERITY - a failed economics experiment [it's creator legged it months ago] that we are bizarrely continuing with.

Austerity will not deliver Economic Growth on the appropriate scale - when will those clowns in charge get this? - the projected economic growth figures for the next 5 years [all now downgraded] are truly shocking [and badly out of sync with most of Europe, and most of our major competitors.]

POST 16...dsr...you say - 'That Janet-and-John graph from the Treasury suggests that Sotland's spending is 5% of the total'.

If that's a graph then I'm an Eskimo - there is nothing wrong with the data in the OP, or the way that it is presented. It is highly informative and easy to understand.

caballo..post 44 - Hammond should be hammered for those growth figures..they are abysmal.

1] living wage went up [as it should] because of rising inflation...no REAL increase.
2] personal allowance increase was I believe £350...a quick calculation tells me that it is worth about £70 a year, or slightly more than £1 per week.
Wow.
3] abolition of stamp duty for first time buyers - all commentators today have said the same thing; this will fuel the demand to buy BUT little in the Budget that will directly increase housing supply [there never is] so the main gains go to existing home owners whose houses will increase in value.
[was that the real intention?]

It was a very poor Budget in view of the Chancellor's own comments about growth and productivity and private investment.[priorities surely?]
Hammond's key instruction was 'don't f**k up' and I think he managed that.
He'll be gone soon though [if she had a decent majority he would already be history] God knows who they'll wheel out to replace him.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3339 times
Has Liked: 1959 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:33 am

MACCA wrote:Yes as I'm using my computer :roll:

If it makes you feel better everyone else can see it.
I’m sure you are driven enough to work out what’s wrong though.

Sidney1st
Been Liked: 3548 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Sidney1st » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:40 am

Just going to put this out there, but I agree with a lot of what Macca says.

I've only ever had to sign on twice and I got a job within a few weeks.
When I'm struggling with bills I cut back on other things.
I know people out of work who have better luxury items than I do, but they also have masses of catalogue debts, for example, whereas I don't.

The vouchers thing would work if thought through properly, but let's be honest no government from either party would think it through properly.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:22 am

Can't understand why anyone could think of scrapping free school meals for any children. Why should they lose out ? If they are from a poorer background it ensures they get at least one good meal a day.

Also what is this point of building more housing when people can't afford them. Current and proposed measures just help building companies. More affordable housing is needed on brownfield sites primarily in urban areas.
These 2 users liked this post: AndrewJB Lancasterclaret

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3339 times
Has Liked: 1959 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:29 am

Sidney1st wrote:Just going to put this out there, but I agree with a lot of what Macca says.

I know people out of work who have better luxury items than I do, but they also have masses of catalogue debts, for example, whereas I don't.

The vouchers thing would work if thought through properly, but let's be honest no government from either party would think it through properly.
You are a shining beacon for us all Sidney.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:35 am

Bordeauxclaret wrote:If it makes you feel better everyone else can see it.
I’m sure you are driven enough to work out what’s wrong though.
My ambition and drive has shown that when accessing the site via a mobile telephone the graphs etc are too large to be shown.

The time difference in your country may stop be behind, and not yet shown my picture showing this :)

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:45 am

Sidney1st wrote:Just going to put this out there, but I agree with a lot of what Macca says.

I must not say too much on the subject as I don't want to bite the hand that feeds me, but I get a paid part of my wages by someone who doesn't work... yes, they pay me to make their lives easier, yet don't have a job.
Also up until recently , drove a better car than me.

My friend who is a "stay at home dad" is out 3 nights a week, holidays 3 times a year, is a 2 car family, has both a gym and golf membership and can afford nursery fees on a Friday so he can go the gym and play golf.

I'll keep working 52 hours a week and live a less expansive lifestyle.

I tip my cap, if you can get away with it, why not, many of our other mates are envious.

But that's partly him, but also partly the system. If you don't know or has heard of anyone who is abusing the system these days, you are definitely in the minority.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:11 am

The productivity problem is what needs sorting and as a non-economist can economist confirm or refute the following.
We have more people working than ever. A lot of the 3 million jobs created since 2010 have gone to immigrants.
A lot of jobs are low paid-so tax take from those jobs is low but "benefits" like child benefit, cost of health and education may be high
if families migrate and not just a worker- more may be taken out of the national pot than is put in.
GDP will rise but not per capita GDP as more people work but the extra workers produce no more per worker than existing workers.
So immigrants who work to drive taxis, work in care homes,NHS, pick vegetables, wash cars will not affect productivity unless their contributions are greater than those who already do that kind of work.(the same applies to indigenous people who start working but they then take less from unemployment benefit, maybe tax credits).
Discuss please and correct the falsehoods

Sidney1st
Been Liked: 3548 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Sidney1st » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:02 am

Bordeauxclaret wrote:You are a shining beacon for us all Sidney.
Not really, I've just been on my arse a few times and I've always had a good work ethic.

Daytime TV is rubbish though, so that also helps.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:34 am

Sidney1st wrote:Not really, I've just been on my arse a few times and I've always had a good work ethic.

Daytime TV is rubbish though, so that also helps.
We are a different breed though Sid, i get bored if I don't go away when I take 2 weeks off in the summer.
I used to vaulenteer, or help family members when at college etc in the holidays.
Got plenty of life skills and experience ( and usually a tip followed ) helps you in later life.

I've had a job since 13, but now a days you have to be 17 before you can collect glasses or work in a kitchen at weekends/evenings.

The youth of today won't get off their arses for minimum wage, so won't do anything for free.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:49 am

Lazy stereotyping on UTC?

Well I never!
This user liked this post: ngsobob

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:59 am

Defending the indefensible on UTC

Well I never

I've never known of so many ostriches congregating in the same place.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:23 am

*checks dictionary definition of ostrich*

Shakes head and does the internet equivalent of walking away slowly, saying "its okay mate, you just had a few too many"

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:30 am

ostrich
ˈɒstrɪtʃ/
noun

1.a flightless swift-running African bird with a long neck, long legs, and two toes on each foot. It is the largest living bird, with males reaching a height of up to 2.75 m.

2.a person who refuses to face reality or accept facts.

"don't be an ostrich when it comes to security systems"

Puts the internet equivalent of a notch on the score board, and that's enough it seems as he walks away. ( obviously as they don't fly )

hampsteadclaret

Post by hampsteadclaret » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:36 am

post 60..mdd2..that is an interesting post.

'productivity' can be seen as the effectiveness of productive effort, especially in industry, as measured in terms of the rate of output per unit of input'.
- it is a measure of efficiency in the workplace..[the efficiency of people, machines, factories, systems].

Off the top of my head here are a few reasons why UK productivity may not be as high as we would like, or may lag behind our competitors..

- a lack of investment by owners in the best machinery, best methods.
- a lack of decent quality training and skilling by both private and public sectors..[big debate on this is desirable]
- a transport system which is inefficient, overcrowded and slow.
- insufficient medium/long term investment in education and health care [eg - in the Budget I think health spending increased by £2.9 billion....for months the 'health industry' has been saying that they needed £4 billion just to stand still..]..if we underfund/underprovide education and healthcare do not be surprised if we have poor productivity.

Hammond couldn't afford more because growth is too low/slow.
Growth is too low/ slow because the economic policy [Austerity] is rubbish and will never work in it's present form...something I [and many others] have been saying for 6/7 years.

- low paid workers
- workers receiving 0% or 1% pay rises when inflation is 3%
- workers on zero hour contracts with little employment certainty
- workers NOT working with modern sophisticated equipment/tools/machinery
- workers suffering from low morale because of a particular situation in their workplace [how many examples do you want?]

ARE ALL unlikely to deliver improvements in productivity.

** Bullying can sometimes deliver productivity improvements..eg - the much publicised working practices at Mike Ashley's 'Sports Direct' warehouses..
- not the way forward though is it.

In terms of the points you mention in your post, I have covered some of them.

- you mention 'immigrants'...lots of them work in low skill activities where it is difficult to improve productivity.

you say..'A lot of jobs are low paid-so tax take from those jobs is low but "benefits" like child benefit, cost of health and education may be high
if families migrate and not just a worker- more may be taken out of the national pot than is put in.

This is a decent point [and important] but not really related to a discussion about 'productivity'.

you say..GDP will rise but not per capita GDP as more people work but the extra workers produce no more per worker than existing workers''

This is at the root of our productivity problems.
We used to dig coal, make steel, make cars, textiles, electrical goods [see the Burco-Belling thread earlier this week]pottery, clothing, furniture, warships, planes and much more - much of this production has gone or seriously cut back. All these industries had potential for decent productivity improvements, working with sophisticated equipment and tooling.

The Government keep bragging about the zillions of jobs they have created..examples include

shoeshine-boys in the City of London
home and office cleaners
hotel staff
high street retailing
mobile hairdressers
personal trainers
fast food outlets
leaflet/junk mail deliverers
taxi drivers
interior designers
''consultants' [?]
Ocado and similar..
car washes
garden landscapers
deliveroo
children's indoor play areas [many many more]
beauticians/false plastic fingernail fitters [.. :lol: ]

Look no further for UK productivity problems.

Two things to finish with..

[1] a lack of public and private decent quality investment in the UK is a BIG problem.

[2] globalisation..many of our competitors [China, India, E Europe, Brazil, Turkey, Phillipines, Indonesia, Taiwan and dozens more] have lower labour costs than us, and it will therefore always be difficult to get ahead of them in the 'productivity game'...not a level playing field.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:40 am

So where are your facts and your reality then MACCA?

Its your reality and your facts, not mine.

If you'd said "some" rather than implying all, then its not an issue, but you implied all. Thats a sweeping generalisation.

I'm sure "some" don't want to work, I'm sure "some" milk the system. Not all though, and its a bit, er, Daily Mail (other papers as well) to claim otherwise

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:55 am

hampsteadclaret wrote:I had decided to stay off the Politics threads for the forseeable, for any number of reasons..this being one of them..

46..RingoM...'Do any of the Lefties have one of their poxy little graphs to show what itd be by now!?'

Just because you don't understand them, is no reason to dismiss them as poxy - if you ask in a reasonable manner I am sure that someone will explain them to you...FWIW the charts/tables/stats on this thread are fine...look at the sources...they are from the Treasury or the ONS..they can be trusted; post 42 is unsourced but must be ONS, the stats look fine but paint a gloomy picture looking forward.

There is some stuff on this thread though, that needs a response.

post 8 - really..what is going on there?..and post 12??

post 15 - it would be a mistake I think to link increases in an unwanted but increasing National Debt, on immigrants.

For example take a random 1000 people entering the UK.
- If this group were working, producing, engaging, contributing, then it is likely that they would be paying Income taxes, VAT, Nat Ins, Council Taxes and other expenditure taxes; similarly it is likely that they would not be placing much of an additional burden on the welfare system, benefits etc.
In my example therefore, for these two reasons the National Debt would be falling not rising.

** IMO the National Debt figures are as poor as they are mainly because of AUSTERITY - a failed economics experiment [it's creator legged it months ago] that we are bizarrely continuing with.

Austerity will not deliver Economic Growth on the appropriate scale - when will those clowns in charge get this? - the projected economic growth figures for the next 5 years [all now downgraded] are truly shocking [and badly out of sync with most of Europe, and most of our major competitors.]

POST 16...dsr...you say - 'That Janet-and-John graph from the Treasury suggests that Sotland's spending is 5% of the total'.

If that's a graph then I'm an Eskimo - there is nothing wrong with the data in the OP, or the way that it is presented. It is highly informative and easy to understand.

caballo..post 44 - Hammond should be hammered for those growth figures..they are abysmal.

1] living wage went up [as it should] because of rising inflation...no REAL increase.
2] personal allowance increase was I believe £350...a quick calculation tells me that it is worth about £70 a year, or slightly more than £1 per week.
Wow.
3] abolition of stamp duty for first time buyers - all commentators today have said the same thing; this will fuel the demand to buy BUT little in the Budget that will directly increase housing supply [there never is] so the main gains go to existing home owners whose houses will increase in value.
[was that the real intention?]

It was a very poor Budget in view of the Chancellor's own comments about growth and productivity and private investment.[priorities surely?]
Hammond's key instruction was 'don't f**k up' and I think he managed that.
He'll be gone soon though [if she had a decent majority he would already be history] God knows who they'll wheel out to replace him.
"Just because you don't understand graphs"

UK manufacturing order books at strongest level since 1988.

The UTC lefty Remoaners (And one in particular) is always keen to post a graph that they think proves something negative about the economy. We were given regularly half hourly communiques during the night following the referendum. But when it comes to excellent economic news they remain in their self loathing bunker. Unable to find one.

There's a difference between not understanding graphs, and pointing out hypocrisy.

The fact you're unable work out the difference, suggests you may want to reconsider whether, your self appointed role of UTC political, economic and intellectual tsar, is doing you any favours?

Think about it while you're on your self-imposed message board exile.....

ngsobob
Been Liked: 32 times
Has Liked: 282 times

Post by ngsobob » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:00 pm

I've never known of so many ostriches congregating in the same place.

Course you have, just follow any RingoMcCartney thread.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:01 pm

You've come out swinging today Ringo!

That only normally happens after loads of really bad Brexit news.......

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3181 times

Post by Paul Waine » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:22 pm

hampsteadclaret wrote:post 60..mdd2..that is an interesting post.

'productivity' can be seen as the effectiveness of productive effort, especially in industry, as measured in terms of the rate of output per unit of input'.
- it is a measure of efficiency in the workplace..[the efficiency of people, machines, factories, systems].

Off the top of my head here are a few reasons why UK productivity may not be as high as we would like, or may lag behind our competitors..

- a lack of investment by owners in the best machinery, best methods.
- a lack of decent quality training and skilling by both private and public sectors..[big debate on this is desirable]
- a transport system which is inefficient, overcrowded and slow.
- insufficient medium/long term investment in education and health care [eg - in the Budget I think health spending increased by £2.9 billion....for months the 'health industry' has been saying that they needed £4 billion just to stand still..]..if we underfund/underprovide education and healthcare do not be surprised if we have poor productivity.

Hammond couldn't afford more because growth is too low/slow.
Growth is too low/ slow because the economic policy [Austerity] is rubbish and will never work in it's present form...something I [and many others] have been saying for 6/7 years.

- low paid workers
- workers receiving 0% or 1% pay rises when inflation is 3%
- workers on zero hour contracts with little employment certainty
- workers NOT working with modern sophisticated equipment/tools/machinery
- workers suffering from low morale because of a particular situation in their workplace [how many examples do you want?]

ARE ALL unlikely to deliver improvements in productivity.

** Bullying can sometimes deliver productivity improvements..eg - the much publicised working practices at Mike Ashley's 'Sports Direct' warehouses..
- not the way forward though is it.

In terms of the points you mention in your post, I have covered some of them.

- you mention 'immigrants'...lots of them work in low skill activities where it is difficult to improve productivity.

you say..'A lot of jobs are low paid-so tax take from those jobs is low but "benefits" like child benefit, cost of health and education may be high

This is a decent point [and important] but not really related to a discussion about 'productivity'.

you say..GDP will rise but not per capita GDP as more people work but the extra workers produce no more per worker than existing workers''

This is at the root of our productivity problems.
We used to dig coal, make steel, make cars, textiles, electrical goods [see the Burco-Belling thread earlier this week]pottery, clothing, furniture, warships, planes and much more - much of this production has gone or seriously cut back. All these industries had potential for decent productivity improvements, working with sophisticated equipment and tooling.

The Government keep bragging about the zillions of jobs they have created..examples include

shoeshine-boys in the City of London
home and office cleaners
hotel staff
high street retailing
mobile hairdressers
personal trainers
fast food outlets
leaflet/junk mail deliverers
taxi drivers
interior designers
''consultants' [?]
Ocado and similar..
car washes
garden landscapers
deliveroo
children's indoor play areas [many many more]
beauticians/false plastic fingernail fitters [.. :lol: ]

Look no further for UK productivity problems.

Two things to finish with..

[1] a lack of public and private decent quality investment in the UK is a BIG problem.

[2] globalisation..many of our competitors [China, India, E Europe, Brazil, Turkey, Phillipines, Indonesia, Taiwan and dozens more] have lower labour costs than us, and it will therefore always be difficult to get ahead of them in the 'productivity game'...not a level playing field.
Hi Hampstead, I think it's worth taking a look at how "productivity" is measured:

Here's the link to the most recent Office of National Statistics labour productivity report.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabo ... tojune2017" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From what I understand - and I also need to spend time studying how ONS prepares their estimates - productivity is a comparison between Output (= gross value added) and the number of hours worked. ONS reports that productivity in services continues to increase - and there's a chart that shows non-financial services have made the biggest contribution to productivity growth since 2008 (productivity in financial services, as we would expect, has fallen).

So, it may be that your list of new jobs is what's keeping us going, and that coal mining, steel making, textiles and others should be better done elsewhere, if at all.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:26 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:You've come out swinging today Ringo!

That only normally happens after loads of really bad Brexit news.......
King of the swingers Lancs!

A UTC VIP!

And no. I wouldn't want to be like you oo oo! :lol:

dsr
Been Liked: 4577 times
Has Liked: 2268 times

Post by dsr » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:39 pm

hampsteadclaret wrote: POST 16...dsr...you say - 'That Janet-and-John graph from the Treasury suggests that Sotland's spending is 5% of the total'.

Well, Collins describes a graph as "a mathematical diagram which shows the relationship between two or more sets of numbers or measurements.", which I could argue fits the definition. But on this matter probably "chart" might be a more accurate description and I concede that you have made a mighty political point.

But more to the point, there is certainly something wrong with the way the information is presented. There are no numbers. If I want to see what Scotland's share is, there are better ways of presenting it than by making me get a ruler and measuring the distance across the computer screen. They should include either percentages or raw numbers if they want the graph to go beyond Janet-and-John level.

hampsteadclaret

Post by hampsteadclaret » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:09 pm

69..McCartney...this was a stupid thing to say earlier on this thread.
''Do any of the Lefties have one of their poxy little graphs to show what itd be by now!?'

It still is despite your bleating and whining.

You say...
'suggests you may want to reconsider'..I will never need to reconsider anything that you suggest, ever.

You refer to me...'self appointed role of UTC political, economic and intellectual tsar,...

Why don't you look at post 60 by mdd2, who says two relevant things..

'The productivity problem is what needs sorting and as a non-economist can [an] economist confirm or refute the following..'
AND
' discuss please and correct the falsehoods'..

That's what I've done.

You finish by saying..'Think about it while you're on your self-imposed message board exile.....'

Wake up, that's not what I said...[misquote..not unusual on here]

I said I was avoiding the interminable Political threads inhabited by a few people like you, who say the same thing, month after month, without pause for thought.

One of the biggest nutters on here, and it's a competitive field.

If it be your will
Been Liked: 500 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by If it be your will » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:57 pm

Last edited by If it be your will on Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: bluelabrador16

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:25 pm

hampsteadclaret wrote:69..McCartney...this was a stupid thing to say earlier on this thread.
''Do any of the Lefties have one of their poxy little graphs to show what itd be by now!?'

It still is despite your bleating and whining.

You say...
'suggests you may want to reconsider'..I will never need to reconsider anything that you suggest, ever.

You refer to me...'self appointed role of UTC political, economic and intellectual tsar,...

Why don't you look at post 60 by mdd2, who says two relevant things..

'The productivity problem is what needs sorting and as a non-economist can [an] economist confirm or refute the following..'
AND
' discuss please and correct the falsehoods'..

That's what I've done.

You finish by saying..'Think about it while you're on your self-imposed message board exile.....'

Wake up, that's not what I said...[misquote..not unusual on here]

I said I was avoiding the interminable Political threads inhabited by a few people like you, who say the same thing, month after month, without pause for thought.

One of the biggest nutters on here, and it's a competitive field.
Thank you for granting me an audience your eminence. Might one pry for a moment. That lofty position that you hold. Does it provide your superiorness with unmatched signal on your bejewelled mobile phone device?

Get over yourself. Its a football message board not the Spectator or the New Statesman. :roll:

aggi
Been Liked: 2119 times

Post by aggi » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:35 pm

I'd say one of the other factors in low productivity is the culture. I've probably worked in a dozen or so European countries and many of them have a culture of working quite fixed hours and that's it.

In the UK there seems to be more of a culture that working longer hours is impressive, rather than what is achieved in those hours.

If it be your will

Post by If it be your will » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:48 pm

Last edited by If it be your will on Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:50 pm

And I'd say one reason is that we are failing to educate our kids properly. 40-50 years of deliberately devaluing intellectual and academic achievement while the hungrier nations looked on and picked up the baton is coming home to roost. People might not like how South Korean and Chinese kids work to achieve and that's fine but there's a choice to be made. Either try to keep up or let them have the material gains. If we are happy that our kids are poorer but have some other benefits in their worldview or life, fine; but it's a fallacy, brought home earlier than many expected by technology and the interconnectivity of the world, that you can have both.
The continued decline of our academic achievement is real and independently measured. End result - it's one factor contributing to less material wealth.

Garnerssoap
Been Liked: 392 times
Has Liked: 514 times

Post by Garnerssoap » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:53 pm

I blame the cloudheads.
Take their free bus passes off them and ban them from the supermarket at weekends. The country would be back on its feet in no time.
And they don't buy £150 trainers

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2602 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:39 am

aggi wrote:I'd say one of the other factors in low productivity is the culture. I've probably worked in a dozen or so European countries and many of them have a culture of working quite fixed hours and that's it.

In the UK there seems to be more of a culture that working longer hours is impressive, rather than what is achieved in those hours.
spot on that.

on a not unrelated note, we should seriously look at moving to a four day working week.

aggi
Been Liked: 2119 times

Post by aggi » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:11 am

If it be your will wrote:In your view, is that culture due to fear of looking uncommitted? If so, why are our workers more frightened than everyone else's?

(Even more depressing, a lot of this overtime is unpaid. I assume unpaid overtime is not counted in the 'hours worked' part of the calculation, so our 'real' productivity figures could be even worse than they appear.)
I'd say partly that. I'm not really sure why the difference has arisen to be honest but once the culture has set in then it becomes self-perpetuating with people who worked long hours then moving up to manager and judging new staff by the same standards.

Northern Europe for instance seems to have a very strong culture of the importance of work/life balance and sticking to your hours (with most working something like 8-4) which results in high productivity.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2622 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:15 am

aggi wrote:In the UK there seems to be more of a culture that working longer hours is impressive, rather than what is achieved in those hours.
First guy I worked with, a miserable old Yorkshire b***tard, always used to finish bang on 5 o'clock. 'It's not the hours you put in lad, it's what you put in the hours'. Quite right too.

So many people love working for the man, thrilled at whatever scraps they get from the table.

If it be your will

Post by If it be your will » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:39 am

Mala591
Been Liked: 685 times
Has Liked: 429 times

Post by Mala591 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:20 pm

thatdberight wrote:And I'd say one reason is that we are failing to educate our kids properly. 40-50 years of deliberately devaluing intellectual and academic achievement while the hungrier nations looked on and picked up the baton is coming home to roost. People might not like how South Korean and Chinese kids work to achieve and that's fine but there's a choice to be made. Either try to keep up or let them have the material gains. If we are happy that our kids are poorer but have some other benefits in their worldview or life, fine; but it's a fallacy, brought home earlier than many expected by technology and the interconnectivity of the world, that you can have both.
The continued decline of our academic achievement is real and independently measured. End result - it's one factor contributing to less material wealth.
I agree. Shirley Williams (then Labour minister for Education) still seems to think that the 'phasing out' of Burnley Grammar School and Burnley High school was the right thing to do. These were two of the best schools in N W England, regularly sending the very brightest academic minds to Oxford or Cambridge universities.

When I drive past the old High School on Kiddrow Lane my heart sinks. A beautiful
stone building boarded up and being allowed to fade away into dilapidation. If we could only turn back time...

UpTheBeehole
Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 496 times

Post by UpTheBeehole » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:24 am

I've just seen this article about a little-publicised tax announced in the budget paperwork.

10 million people will be affected by a stealth tax on insurance policies, raising £1.8bn

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... h-tax.html