Will 'Dyche Fitness' alone start attracting players?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Fretters
Been Liked: 1045 times
Has Liked: 549 times

Will 'Dyche Fitness' alone start attracting players?

Post by Fretters » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:46 am

I was wondering if Sam Clucas regretted not signing for us when he was being out-run and out-fought on Saturday. Players must see how fit and disciplined our players are and wish they were at those levels. This, coupled with the likes of Defour talking about being in the shape of his life, must be a huge pull for potential signings in January.

Professional athletes surely strive for peak physical condition and, knowing they will achieve that with us, is surely worth more to them than an extra few grand in their bank account at this level. Especially as the majority (if not all) already know they'll never have to work again when they retire.

With all this, and if we can maintain a top 7-10 league position, we must be an incredibly attractive proposition in January.

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2416 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Re: Will 'Dyche Fitness' alone start attracting players?

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:57 am

Fretters wrote:I was wondering if Sam Clucas regretted not signing for us when he was being out-run and out-fought on Saturday
Thought Clucas was poor on Saturday, then again, almost all of them were poor.

Money will attract people, not the prospect of hard work. Sean will have his eyes and spies on a couple of targets and all will have to be prepared to knuckle down.

WestMidsClaret
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 506 times

Post by WestMidsClaret » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:58 am

I think money would be most players primary thought as to being mega physically fit. That's why we have a special group of players because they except Sean's demands on being super fit and will run through brick walls for each other. So any future players we source will know exactly what they are getting themselves in to and will sort the men from the boys. And that's why we are where we are currently in the league and why we are getting a lot of credit in the outside world. Football is really an easy concept that's been over egged these past few years.

So in answer to your question it may not necessarily attract a lot of players but it will attract the right players which is crucial for our club at this present moment in time!

mickleoverclaret
Been Liked: 397 times
Has Liked: 431 times

Post by mickleoverclaret » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:14 am

Clucas is probably getting paid more for doing less work at Swansea so I doubt he'll be that jealous.

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 2047 times

Post by LeadBelly » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:48 am

I think money is the key driver. Not only in itself but, to some degree, it signifies how good/valued you are - like in any profession.

I think there's also an element of "stepping stone" involved at BFC. A lot of previously non- "bigtime" players have enhanced their careers here recently and thus enhanced their longer term success/earnings prospects whilst maybe not being amongst the highest paid whilst here.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3800 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:08 pm

No and I doubt Clucas gives a toss providing hes earning more at Swansea.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:25 pm

I agree that money is king these days but also, and unfortunately, does anyone else think that the fitness regime at Burnley might actually PUT PLAYERS OFF? Most people like an easy life alas and when you see players willing to sit on the bench week after week at many clubs providing they are getting their 50k plus per week would players suddenly want to start actually EARNING that money by working hard to get in peak physical shape? I'm not saying none would, obviously we have got the players willing to do that, but I think most prima donna PL level players these days are more interested in storing up a bank account for their retirement at 28. Just call me cynical but it might even be why we have had trouble attracting players in the first place, not just the wage cap we have.
I love the players we have and I love the whole Dyche philosophy and long may it continue but it MAY be a contributing factor in our constant inability to 'get our man', not just the money. Having said all that I would rather we bought no-one at all in January than get a single player who would upset what we have.

Sidney1st
Been Liked: 3547 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Sidney1st » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:25 pm

Nah, European football will though.

aggi
Been Liked: 2116 times

Post by aggi » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:14 pm

Is "Dyche fit" really a thing? Plenty of players are super fit at many clubs.

A fair few clubs cover more distance than Burnley (Bournemouth being top of that table and no-one talks about players being Howe fit) and we're in the bottom half of the table for sprints.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:18 pm

I think its a term best used in conjunction with our framework and ethos, and "Dyche Fit" is a snappier way of putting it.

The way we lose possession and then get back into shape is ridiculously impressive. We appear to only need about five seconds to transition, and that is something that is a key part of his (and our) success.
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

dsr
Been Liked: 4573 times
Has Liked: 2263 times

Post by dsr » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:20 pm

houseboy wrote:I agree that money is king these days but also, and unfortunately, does anyone else think that the fitness regime at Burnley might actually PUT PLAYERS OFF? Most people like an easy life alas and when you see players willing to sit on the bench week after week at many clubs providing they are getting their 50k plus per week would players suddenly want to start actually EARNING that money by working hard to get in peak physical shape? ...
I think it might - but also, if it puts off players that don't want to do the hard work, then it's a good thing. One of Burnley's big strengths is that none of the players take time off during, or for the whole of, a match.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:44 pm

dsr wrote:I think it might - but also, if it puts off players that don't want to do the hard work, then it's a good thing. One of Burnley's big strengths is that none of the players take time off during, or for the whole of, a match.
It's a strange one really. We know the kind of player we want (or Dyche does) but it must be hard to find 'quality' players who fit that criteria. Personally I like what we have, and I don't want the apple cart upsetting. There's something about the camaraderie between the players that rubs off on the fans and we have a great feeling of 'family' at Burnley because of that. It would be nice to have a couple of 'great' players but would we lose what we have because of that? I don't know.

Off topic a little but speaking of quality players I was watching United last night on the CL highlights and nearly fell off my seat laughing at Fellaini. In a first half dominated by United who failed to score from numerous chances he placed a 'header' onto the post when it would have been easier to score. Watching the replay I noticed that it actually brushed his hair and not his head. If he had made the slightest contact with his head it would have gone in. I figured that he must think that his not inconsiderable mop is an extension of his head - great stuf.

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:12 pm

I don't believe money is the be all end all for players who come to Burnley. And I don't whatsoever think that Dyche sells the club on its ability to pay big wages (which, if money were the prime motivator for players, he would do).

If the difference is between living close to poverty, or earning a solid middle class income, then I can understand why someone would choose one job over another based on income. But when we're looking at tens of thousands of pounds per week compared to ten thousand more or less, then it's not nearly the same comparison. It's not about treating players as saps to be taken advantage of, but refusing to participate in the commercial rollercoaster that is footballers pay. I'm quite sure there's an unwritten rule saying: "if you're in football just for the money, then don't bother coming to Burnley"

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3862 times
Has Liked: 2070 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:30 pm

When Everton players got to train under Martinez on 90% ball work after years of demanding physical stuff from Moyes, they seemed to be falling over themselves to speak out about how great training was.

Human traits are to get as much as possible (cash and glory) for as little work as possible.

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2103 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:01 pm

Could being "extra" fit add a few years to a players career?

Thus earning them a bit more money and also helping prolong that bit that most players say they hate about football ..... Stopping playing.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3156 times
Has Liked: 6743 times

Post by boatshed bill » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:40 pm

mickleoverclaret wrote:Clucas is probably getting paid more for doing less work at Swansea so I doubt he'll be that jealous.
But he may have to take a cut when they get relegated.
Fitness, and being on top of your game means top earnings for longer

mickleoverclaret
Been Liked: 397 times
Has Liked: 431 times

Post by mickleoverclaret » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:43 pm

boatshed bill wrote:But he may have to take a cut when they get relegated.
Fitness, and being on top of your game means top earnings for longer
Unless he gets sold to another PL team like this year!

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:44 pm

mickleoverclaret wrote:Unless he gets sold to another PL team like this year!
Pretty shabby shop window on last week's showing :D
This user liked this post: mickleoverclaret

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1161 times
Has Liked: 1293 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:17 pm

Saw a newspaper article by Trippier saying when he went to Spurs he was told he was overweight, something about pinching too much body fat. He also said he had been on all inclusive holiday prior to going.

Not sure how this squares up but I think that sometimess underestimate Dyche's organisation skills and put this down due to being super fit.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6361 times
Has Liked: 8704 times

Post by IanMcL » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:22 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:I think its a term best used in conjunction with our framework and ethos, and "Dyche Fit" is a snappier way of putting it.

The way we lose possession and then get back into shape is ridiculously impressive. We appear to only need about five seconds to transition, and that is something that is a key part of his (and our) success.
Like an F1 pit stop!

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:36 pm

Going back to the original question:
Any player seeing the revitalisation of Jack Cork would have to be impressed.

dsr
Been Liked: 4573 times
Has Liked: 2263 times

Post by dsr » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:47 am

boatshed bill wrote:Going back to the original question:
Any player seeing the revitalisation of Jack Cork would have to be impressed.
And in reverse, seeing what happened to Michael Keane might make them think as well.

Shore claret
Been Liked: 267 times
Has Liked: 660 times

Post by Shore claret » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:14 pm

I think the warm ups say a lot, I said to my dad look at Swansea warming up it looked ropey at best. Our lads were going 90 mph there lads looked to be just going through the motions.

CnBtruntru
Been Liked: 698 times
Has Liked: 607 times

Post by CnBtruntru » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:21 pm

Anybody can become fit, I believe they have to have the right attitude, the fitness and the attitude make the player, I don't believe just being fit cuts it with the Gaffer.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:40 pm

We can give players an opportunity to play in the PL who might not have done otherwise.
We can give players a chance to prove themselves if they have lost their way at other clubs.
We can coach and improve players.
We have a proven record with strikers and also International call ups.
We can put them in the shop window.
We can reward hard work and patience with game time.

These are some of the benefits of BFC to a player aside from money.

IndigoLake
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 832 times

Post by IndigoLake » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:22 pm

This is true fitness.