Six more wins, three more draws to...

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Six more wins, three more draws to...

Post by Pstotto » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:54 pm

Six more wins, three more draws to PLAYTIME!

Pstotto

Re: Six more wins, three more draws to...

Post by Pstotto » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:56 am

Let's hope it's not six more wins and there more draws to Tulsa.

Commy
Been Liked: 464 times
Has Liked: 43 times

Post by Commy » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:07 am

I felt fine until I read that. It seems a lot when you see it written down. :)
This user liked this post: Pstotto

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:18 am

Yawn! Another 'let's hope we get the points' thread. We are NOT GOING DOWN AND WILL NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES GET INVOLVED IN A RELEGATION BATTLE. Now just enjoy the ride and stop worrying.
These 3 users liked this post: THEWELLERNUT70 Pstotto Woodleyclaret

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:27 am

That would be 43 points. Do you think we'll need that many?
This user liked this post: Pstotto

HiroshimaClaret
Been Liked: 746 times
Has Liked: 927 times

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:38 pm

I see a possibility this season of the bottom FOUR all hovering around the 30pt mark. Palace 29, West Brom 30, Swansea 31, Hammers 32.
Last edited by HiroshimaClaret on Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:41 pm

I think another 15 will do it. 5 wins from 25 remaining games.

HiroshimaClaret
Been Liked: 746 times
Has Liked: 927 times

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Pstotto wrote:Six more wins, three more draws to PLAYTIME!
The Pulis / Pythagoras theory!

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:59 pm

FactualFrank wrote:I think another 15 will do it. 5 wins from 25 remaining games.
Will do what? I despair that many Clarets see the be all and end all of our stay in the PL simply to be survival and nothing more. Where is the ambition? Having looked at a number of teams in the PL (yes, including the much vaunted Crystal Palace - why do people think they are a 'decent side really'?) there is not a great deal to be scared of these days and a top 10 finish is very much on. We were robbed (again) by Arsenal on Sunday and gave one of the best performances of the season leading to TV pundits saying how 'brilliant' we were, and we were, at least in the first half. We are a good side, start believing and stop being 'realistic' (another word in this instance for negative). We have played 5 of the big six, six of the biggest and richest clubs in the world, and have a results stat of W1 D2 L2, a stat that in a fairer world would read 1-3-1 but for Sundays robbery. That is fantastic. Our only other defeat was to a club we actually played off the park on the day and can be put down to a one-off weird day.
There are only 6 teams above us and in the overall scheme of things that won't change anytime soon, but I fear no-one below us at all. Why keep droning on about being 'safe', it makes us look poor and actually does us down. Whose squad would we rather have? Newcastle? West Ham? Who?
Burnley Football club are going places and it ain't down to the Championship.
These 8 users liked this post: paulus the woodgnome dsr Goddy THEWELLERNUT70 Putneyclaret holdyourfire bfcmik Goodclaret

moaninclaret
Been Liked: 170 times
Has Liked: 277 times

Post by moaninclaret » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:42 pm

At a guess, 40 points should be enough but we need to keep our feet on the ground, if we can keep up the form were in at the moment a top 10 spot is very achievable , 6 wins is deffo a requirement for us and i really cant see that being a problem, we are the best of the rest by a long way.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:25 pm

houseboy wrote:Will do what?
Read the original post and it will give you the bloody answer.

Nowhere did I state that I see it as us simply staying up. What you did is you purposely quoted what I put, to give you the excuse of throwing a bitch fit.

I was simply carrying on from the original poster in terms of how many points would be needed to mathematically stay up. Nothing more.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:08 pm

FactualFrank wrote:Read the original post and it will give you the bloody answer.

Nowhere did I state that I see it as us simply staying up. What you did is you purposely quoted what I put, to give you the excuse of throwing a bitch fit.

I was simply carrying on from the original poster in terms of how many points would be needed to mathematically stay up. Nothing more.
It wasn't an excuse for anything and the only person throwing a fit is you mate. I am passionate about the club as I'm sure everyone on here is but it gets up my nose the number of people who keep calculating what we need to 'survive' when we should be calculating what we need to finish top ten or better. I genuinely believe that the only teams who are better than us are the current top six for obvious reasons, the rest make up a mini league if you like and we are perfectly capable of winning that 'league', which of course we are currently top of. It's almost as bad as the 'Will Dyche go to Everton' debate when there has been no approach from Everton for his services. Why are people so worried about him leaving to go somewhere he is not wanted anyway.
Anyway my prediction: we will finish in the top ten and have no trouble at all with relegation worries and Dyche will not go to Everton, not because he wouldn't like a stab at the job but because he hasn't been asked, and if he were now would he go knowing he's about 5th choice? Methinks not.

Pstotto

Post by Pstotto » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:16 pm

Who said anything about lack of ambition? We're playing great now but we can play harder later the sooner the better. You've got to 'bank' when you play that TV thingy.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:35 pm

Pstotto wrote:Who said anything about lack of ambition? We're playing great now but we can play harder later the sooner the better. You've got to 'bank' when you play that TV thingy.
Nobody. He/she just fancied a rant so assumed incorrectly to go off on one. You can aim for enough points to stay up AND try and finish as high up as possible at the same time. I think 5 wins will keep us up but confident we'll have that way before the end of season.

Pstotto

Post by Pstotto » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:41 pm

I agree.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3597 times

Post by DCWat » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:46 pm

houseboy wrote:It wasn't an excuse for anything and the only person throwing a fit is you mate. I am passionate about the club as I'm sure everyone on here is but it gets up my nose the number of people who keep calculating what we need to 'survive' when we should be calculating what we need to finish top ten or better. I genuinely believe that the only teams who are better than us are the current top six for obvious reasons, the rest make up a mini league if you like and we are perfectly capable of winning that 'league', which of course we are currently top of. It's almost as bad as the 'Will Dyche go to Everton' debate when there has been no approach from Everton for his services. Why are people so worried about him leaving to go somewhere he is not wanted anyway.
Anyway my prediction: we will finish in the top ten and have no trouble at all with relegation worries and Dyche will not go to Everton, not because he wouldn't like a stab at the job but because he hasn't been asked, and if he were now would he go knowing he's about 5th choice? Methinks not.
Our own manager talks about having to be realistic. Our first aim this season and next season will be to stay up. After that, it’s see where we can get to.

There is nothing negative about that - I’d suggest a complacent attitude to survival is the last thing we need and that’s not ignoring how well we are doing.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6893 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:47 pm

We should be aiming to finish 7th.

jurek
Been Liked: 309 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by jurek » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:32 pm

Of course we should be aiming as high as possible
but the bottom line is to ensure we stay in the Premiership
and 40 points is the benchmark although this season
37/38 points may well be enough.

If we do manage a top ten finish then we know that will bring in
another 15m+ so there's something considerable to aim for there.

piston broke
Been Liked: 1447 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:22 pm

With the £2m. per place we don't want a drop of like last year when we are safe.
We can comfortably make top half and put some spendable in the bank.

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4044 times
Has Liked: 1846 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:27 pm

37 will p!ss it.

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1100 times

Post by bfcmik » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:43 pm

Six more wins, three more draws to... get us to the 3rd round of the FA Cup in fine fettle and able to have a real go at winning it (unless we draw City away, of course!)

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:05 pm

DCWat wrote:Our own manager talks about having to be realistic. Our first aim this season and next season will be to stay up. After that, it’s see where we can get to.

There is nothing negative about that - I’d suggest a complacent attitude to survival is the last thing we need and that’s not ignoring how well we are doing.
He does it from psychology for the players to keep their feet on the ground. We fans don't need to do that. You know as well as I do that Dyche plays his cards close about everything. I'll bet if you could read his mind you'd get a slightly different perspective. We would have to have a form collapse of biblical proportions to be in any danger at all and even then rubbish like West Ham, Swansea and Palace have to put runs together. We are NOT going down and we don't need to keep calculating points.

Pstotto

Post by Pstotto » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:37 am

I disagree. The unbridled optimism of some fans and those that join the criminal pick-and-choose sentiments of the bigger clubs, is damaging to the reputation of our team because it presents us as muppets to be ridiculed, for example the Burnley fans singing at Sanchez that he would be 'crying in a minute (Arsenal plants(?),) only to be ripped to shreds on Arsenal Fan TV after the match.

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:27 am

Pstotto wrote:I disagree. The unbridled optimism of some fans and those that join the criminal pick-and-choose sentiments of the bigger clubs, is damaging to the reputation of our team because it presents us as muppets to be ridiculed, for example the Burnley fans singing at Sanchez that he would be 'crying in a minute (Arsenal plants(?),) only to be ripped to shreds on Arsenal Fan TV after the match.
Maybe people aren't too sensitive to the idea of being "ripped to shreds" (ie. laughed at) by a few internet geeks who think they matter. "Don't laugh at people because they may laugh at you" may be a sensible idea if being laughed at upsets you, but it's hardly ridicule.

Caernarfon_Claret
Been Liked: 1473 times
Has Liked: 633 times

Post by Caernarfon_Claret » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:10 pm

If you remember when Leicester won the league.

Goal number one - reach 40 points as soon as possible.

Then play on.

JTClaret
Been Liked: 181 times
Has Liked: 119 times

Post by JTClaret » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:28 pm

The first priority is obviously the 40 points.

However, I don't know about the rest of you but I'm currently watching the results hoping the those above us drop points so we can keep up and maybe go above them. It's the position we all want to be in, and the reason in Premier League seasons past people have said they prefer the Championship.
We can go 5th or 6th tonight, and if we do that it's also closer to the 40 point mark. What an amazing time to be a Burnley fan.

Pstotto

Post by Pstotto » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:58 am

Dsr, those that sang will remember for next time, maybe. Anyway, I bopped Arsenal Fan TV on the nose on YouTube. A few home truths and the comment was gone in a flash.

Dazzler
Been Liked: 874 times
Has Liked: 2332 times

Post by Dazzler » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:48 pm

houseboy wrote:Having looked at a number of teams in the PL (yes, including the much vaunted Crystal Palace - why do people think they are a 'decent side really'?)

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:38 am

[quote="Dazzler"][/quote]
Touche.

mkmel
Been Liked: 1270 times
Has Liked: 2234 times

Post by mkmel » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:56 am

Two more wins and two draws and then see where it takes us from then