Turf Moor stadium development - Corner stands

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

Re: Turf Moor stadium development - Corner stands

Post by jedi_master » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:11 am

I think these look fantastic and will not only provide great facilities for those who require them, but will make the ground look far more modern and complete.

Big question from me - do these two stands get names, and if so, would the club consider making it a vote to choose them?

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:14 am

Doea it increase the gate or are they included in the figures where they are currently?

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1747 times
Has Liked: 345 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:20 am

It won’t really increase the gate as such, it’s moving supporters sporadically dotted around the pitch into two purpose-built hubs.

Remember, capacity isn’t based on seats in the stadium, it’s on how many tickets that can be sold really.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3842 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:50 am

If there is enough spaces for the disabled fans it would be of huge benefit for us to build a TV studio next to the police box.
We might get on sky a bit more if we have the facilities to accommodate them.

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:53 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:If there is enough spaces for the disabled fans it would be of huge benefit for us to build a TV studio next to the police box.
We might get on sky a bit more if we have the facilities to accommodate them.
There’s one already there, it’s in the first executive box nearest the Bob Lord Stand.

Oshkoshclaret
Been Liked: 317 times
Has Liked: 83 times

Post by Oshkoshclaret » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:25 am

"We are the Ironside, Burnley!" :D
These 5 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets FactualFrank bodge No Ney Never ZizkovClaret

Wokingclaret
Been Liked: 292 times
Has Liked: 766 times

Post by Wokingclaret » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:51 am

Well it will totally kill off the moving of the dressing rooms idea to the corner of the LS & JM. :roll:

Wokingclaret

Post by Wokingclaret » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:54 am

And Martin Dobson was good Turf More..............
This user liked this post: k90bfc

Walt
Been Liked: 113 times
Has Liked: 148 times

Post by Walt » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:13 am

I can't recall if there's a minimum requirement for the number of spaces we need to provide. If so, what is it?

Inchy
Been Liked: 1332 times
Has Liked: 95 times

Post by Inchy » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:35 am

This is great news for those fans requiring wheelchairs. I broke my knee 17 years ago and had to sit in a wheelchair between the JH and JM. It’s shocking that nothing has been done to improve the facilities in that time. Well done to the club for sorting this out now money is available. £5m sounds a lot but it equals exactly x1 N.Wells. I suspect these improvements will have a greater impact than Wells will

Like others have said it will add to the mismatch of the ground which gives it its character.

Personally I don’t think the rest of the ground needs much more work for the time being. I love the CFS. Love the low roof and wooden seats.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 772 times
Has Liked: 1426 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:58 am

Wonderful news :)

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 493 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:01 am

Again just reiterating what others have said. This is indeed great news and goes way beyond anything I thought the club would do to address the problem. The times I look over from the BL stand to the corner of the JH/JMc stands when the weather is inclement and my heart sinks. If these plans come to fruition, as I hope and trust they will it will put us at the forefront in moving forward and supporting people with disabilities and impairments. Well done again all involved.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32242 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:26 am

dsr wrote:Do we get a grant? Because if not, that's more than we paid for the two new stands put together.
Don't believe so

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6902 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:35 am

It could well be VAT exempt.

Commy
Been Liked: 464 times
Has Liked: 43 times

Post by Commy » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:45 am

Did they not also mention that there were also going to be facilities in the upper and lower tiers of the JH stand eventually?

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:47 am

The time is coming when this cash will come close to a billion received, and then we have to start improving the facilities for the majority of fans (bigger concourses, video screens without adverts, hot water in toilets, more comfortable seating). One stand at a time. If the club don’t do this now, for the next 30 years of comfort and fan retention, they never will.

First though, and absolutely correct to do so, comes the disabled fans. I’m delighted they are getting decent facilities at last.

gtclaret
Been Liked: 338 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by gtclaret » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:58 am

It is not possible to position the screen so everyone can see it. At the moment, both the fans in the JH and the JM stands struggle to see it. That is the majority of the home fans. Putting it on the Cricket Field Stand would allow three sides to the ground to see it, not the ideal solution, but perhaps the best option

piston broke
Been Liked: 1447 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:03 am

Could a screen not be placed on top of each of the new stands?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:10 am

gtclaret wrote:It is not possible to position the screen so everyone can see it.
Please no, one advantage of where I sit is not being able to see it. The damn things can be distracting. I've paid my money to watch the match rather than a screen.
This user liked this post: The Enclosure

UpTheBeehole
Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 496 times

Post by UpTheBeehole » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:11 am

A vast improvement for our disabled fans.

It's criminal that they've been left exposed to the elements, and I hope these 2 new little areas make it up to them.

The sketches look like a cross between the West Brom and Barnsley corner stands

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:28 am

This is very good news all round and the added bonus is that hopefully we will regain some of the atmosphere lost when the Longside went. Just one question though; do we have that many disabled fans to justify two new stands being dedicated to them? If we have then that is brilliant but it does seem a little like the situation at many supermarkets where the number of disabled parking spaces seems out of proportion to the actual numbers of people needing them (have you ever seen them all full?). Bearing this in mind could we use at least part of this development to generally increase the capacity?
Just a thought and if I am wrong I apologise in advance.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:30 am

UpTheBeehole wrote:A vast improvement for our disabled fans.

It's criminal that they've been left exposed to the elements, and I hope these 2 new little areas make it up to them.

The Barnsley one looks like a shop - is it actually a stand?

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2562 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:33 am

jedi_master wrote:I think these look fantastic and will not only provide great facilities for those who require them, but will make the ground look far more modern and complete.

Big question from me - do these two stands get names, and if so, would the club consider making it a vote to choose them?
Jimmy MacJimface... no, wait.

long overdue this but its hopefully worth the wait for those who currently endure the non-facilities.

looks a cracking solution, props to the club.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:34 am

houseboy wrote:This is very good news all round and the added bonus is that hopefully we will regain some of the atmosphere lost when the Longside went. Just one question though; do we have that many disabled fans to justify two new stands being dedicated to them? If we have then that is brilliant but it does seem a little like the situation at many supermarkets where the number of disabled parking spaces seems out of proportion to the actual numbers of people needing them (have you ever seen them all full?). Bearing this in mind could we use at least part of this development to generally increase the capacity?
It's a good point, but there are clear guidelines we have to adhere to and there is a minimum number of wheelchair/carer spaces we have to have within the ground no matter how many choose to use them. I can't remember the figures now but I think it is just over 150 whereas now we have nowhere near that.
This user liked this post: houseboy

Walton
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 242 times

Post by Walton » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:40 am

MarkGreen wrote:
Below are screen grabs from the show:
Bob-Lord.jpeg
Jimmy-Mac.jpeg
Love that the people in the disabled stands are about 3 times the size of the people in the main stands.

ArmchairDetective
Been Liked: 397 times
Has Liked: 367 times

Post by ArmchairDetective » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:45 am

houseboy wrote:This is very good news all round and the added bonus is that hopefully we will regain some of the atmosphere lost when the Longside went. Just one question though; do we have that many disabled fans to justify two new stands being dedicated to them? If we have then that is brilliant but it does seem a little like the situation at many supermarkets where the number of disabled parking spaces seems out of proportion to the actual numbers of people needing them (have you ever seen them all full?). Bearing this in mind could we use at least part of this development to generally increase the capacity?
We might find that the new facilities attract more disabled supporters to games.
This user liked this post: houseboy

ArmchairDetective
Been Liked: 397 times
Has Liked: 367 times

Post by ArmchairDetective » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:47 am

UpTheBeehole wrote:A vast improvement for our disabled fans.

I really hope that £5M would get us something far superior to the Barnsley corner :D

BurnleyPaul
Been Liked: 158 times
Has Liked: 45 times

Post by BurnleyPaul » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:00 am

jedi_master wrote:I think these look fantastic and will not only provide great facilities for those who require them, but will make the ground look far more modern and complete.

If we do then surely Joe Gallagher and Nick Pickering have to be in contention...simply bearing in mind their physical condition when signing for the club! :lol:

martin_p
Been Liked: 3764 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:03 am

I’m sure they’ll sort it out, but as drawn, I’m wondering how much of the pitch a lot of those seats will be able to see!

LeuvenClaret
Been Liked: 18 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by LeuvenClaret » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:27 am

martin_p wrote:I’m sure they’ll sort it out, but as drawn, I’m wondering how much of the pitch a lot of those seats will be able to see!
Was thinking the same, but they are a proposal I guess.

I wonder if tthe one at the JM/JH could hold away fans and then redevelop the Cricket field, but maybe thats a step too far :lol:

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by Clarets4me » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:36 am

Walt wrote:I can't recall if there's a minimum requirement for the number of spaces we need to provide. If so, what is it?
I've quickly read the last EHRC report, and unless I'm missing something, the minimum is 156 wheelchair access spaces for a 22,000 capacity ground. In addition, one wheelchair accessable toilet for every 15 spaces, to include a number of larger " changing places " toilets. Also it talks of a number of wider seats, where a guide dog can be accomodated and provision of a " sensory room "...

CT has mentioned in various posts over the past 18 months, that the Club have waited for EHRC approval of their plans before putting these improvements in place. Now that this has been received, and given how impressive Gawthorpe is, I have no reason to doubt that these new facilities will not be excellent...

NewForestClaret
Been Liked: 14 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by NewForestClaret » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:11 am

Looks great, will surely help wit the atmosphere as well as providing great facilities. Would it be possible to fully glaze the JH stand at the CF end? Or are there plans for that end too?

mikeS
Been Liked: 650 times
Has Liked: 25 times

Post by mikeS » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:12 am

A good idea to create more seats and fill two of the four corners. I guess if they are filling in between the Jimmy Mac and the Bob Lord, that the next move would be to replace the CFS, leaving the BL as it is now?

jlup1980
Been Liked: 850 times
Has Liked: 525 times

Post by jlup1980 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:35 am

I suspect any stand names will come from a sponsor first and foremost. The Boo Hoo Stand and The Barnfield Stand would be possible shouts. The Boo Hoo Stand would make me laugh at the very least!!

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3116 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:45 am

Would seem that I am of a different view to many.

In these proposals:
- disabled supporters are segregated from all other fans rather than integrated and having a choice of location/view within the ground
- Multiple tiers of disabled seating will require some form of ramp to the higher tiers in case of power failure for emergency evacuation
- it appears the focus is more on not affecting current seating during development than providing a genuine solution that allows for future development if required
- as ever there is no sense of a long-term plan, just the sense of overcoming a legislative obstacle in a relatively cheap way
- I am hugely disappointed by them. the only thing they get right is seeking to provide disabled seating with appropriate facilities

in short it screams of all the shoddy design done over the last 30 years and therefore of Clive Holt (suspect it will be Barnfield Design and build)
This user liked this post: UpTheBeehole

UpTheBeehole

Post by UpTheBeehole » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:48 am

Chester Perry wrote: - disabled supporters are segregated from all other fans rather than integrated and having a choice of location/view within the ground
Bournemouth were told that their disabled provision was inadequate on this basis, despite having a lot more 'berths' than required.

Transpennine
Been Liked: 156 times
Has Liked: 42 times

Post by Transpennine » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:55 am

Initial thoughts are that this can only be positive. Taking Chester Perry's comments on board, it's difficult to criticise the design from what is essentially two artist impressions. The devil will be in the detailed drawing submitted to planning.

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:10 pm

Chester Perry wrote:Would seem that I am of a different view to many.

In these proposals:
- disabled supporters are segregated from all other fans rather than integrated and having a choice of location/view within the ground
- Multiple tiers of disabled seating will require some form of ramp to the higher tiers in case of power failure for emergency evacuation
- it appears the focus is more on not affecting current seating during development than providing a genuine solution that allows for future development if required
- as ever there is no sense of a long-term plan, just the sense of overcoming a legislative obstacle in a relatively cheap way
- I am hugely disappointed by them. the only thing they get right is seeking to provide disabled seating with appropriate facilities

in short it screams of all the shoddy design done over the last 30 years and therefore of Clive Holt (suspect it will be Barnfield Design and build)
They have to be segregated to some extent - you can't have step free access to every row of the stand. Is there any way to adapt the existing stands to do what you want? Because knocking down the whole ground and rebuilding for the sake of 156 people, while laudable, would be disproportionately expensive; and even then, the facilities would consist of all the wheelchair users in a single long row of each stand; there wouldn't be full disabled access to every seat.

I would dispute that it's cheap as well. £5m for 156 wheelchair seats plus carers? That's £16,000 per seat. If you build a 22,000 capacity stadium at those prices, you get £352m. Not cheap, not relatively cheap. The two newer stands cost about £6.5m for the two, with capacity of 14,000 or so, £460 per seat - even allowing for inflation, these new seats aren't cheap.

Do we know the actual capacity of the new areas?

Claretforever
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 507 times

Post by Claretforever » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:45 pm

arise_sir_charge wrote:Will greatly add to the iggledy piggedly nature of the ground. I like it.

Would love the club to also invest in a more permanent fan zone structure similar to the set up at the Etihad albeit on a smaller scale.
I’m not sure whether it’s for sale or not, but the Park View has been struggling for years. It was closed after a recent midweek match, which I’ve never know before, but has been opened for the past 2 matches, albeit with limited selection. If it is available would it not make sense for the club to purchase it? They could call it the Champions Bar, Claret Bar, Dyche’s Drinking Den or whatever, and have entertainment or a screen on the car park? I’m sure they could have it looking far better than the current fan zone, and it’s would warmer too!
These 2 users liked this post: Juan Tanamera cricketfieldclarets

Claretforever
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 507 times

Post by Claretforever » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:50 pm

I would hope that with two new corner stands, which would obviously be cladded at the back with new cladding, looking all nice and shiny, that they consider the roof and cladding on the Bob Lord Stand, which is a disgrace if truth be told. We have enough money now to have the ground looking how we want it.

I wonder if they’ll consider putting big screens on the stand roofs, or within the roof structure?

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5003 times
Has Liked: 6721 times

Post by bfcjg » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:56 pm

Worth breaking your leg for.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

clitheroeclaret2
Been Liked: 82 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by clitheroeclaret2 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:22 pm

Claretforever wrote:I’m not sure whether it’s for sale or not, but the Park View has been struggling for years. It was closed after a recent midweek match, which I’ve never know before, but has been opened for the past 2 matches, albeit with limited selection. If it is available would it not make sense for the club to purchase it? They could call it the Champions Bar, Claret Bar, Dyche’s Drinking Den or whatever, and have entertainment or a screen on the car park? I’m sure they could have it looking far better than the current fan zone, and it’s would warmer too!
Liking that idea, The Burnley Boozer

Great news finally for disabled supporters. Think Im correct in thinking brfc used to dump their disabled fans on the front row of all their home stands, the worst possible seats! Been told they don't even have that facility any more

4:20
Been Liked: 1061 times
Has Liked: 1177 times

Post by 4:20 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:34 pm

Brilliant idea, like the designs, Mexican waves will look great from the CFS. Stick a massive curved screen on top of the longside one and we've got ourselves a crap IMAX.

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:40 pm

Chester Perry wrote:Would seem that I am of a different view to many.

In these proposals:

What you are looking at there to get a win-win solution for everyone is for Burnley Football Club to build a brand new stadium, basically. I'll be more cost effective. As for emergency evacuations, these plans have been signed off by the EHRC (Equality and Human Rights Commission) who I would imagine are pretty stringent when Health and Safety procedures.

UpTheBeehole

Post by UpTheBeehole » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:50 pm

dsr wrote:They have to be segregated to some extent - you can't have step free access to every row of the stand. Is there any way to adapt the existing stands to do what you want? Because knocking down the whole ground and rebuilding for the sake of 156 people, while laudable, would be disproportionately expensive; and even then, the facilities would consist of all the wheelchair users in a single long row of each stand; there wouldn't be full disabled access to every seat.

I would dispute that it's cheap as well. £5m for 156 wheelchair seats plus carers? That's £16,000 per seat. If you build a 22,000 capacity stadium at those prices, you get £352m. Not cheap, not relatively cheap. The two newer stands cost about £6.5m for the two, with capacity of 14,000 or so, £460 per seat - even allowing for inflation, these new seats aren't cheap.

Do we know the actual capacity of the new areas?
How much would say it would cost then?

Are you saying our disabled fans aren't worth what the club are spending on them?

Wokingclaret

Post by Wokingclaret » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:50 pm

All these add ons will make it difficult replacing stands, like the new shop which probably put an end to a second tier on the Bob Lord as there is no place for supports

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:50 pm

Wokingclaret wrote:All these add ons will make it difficult replacing stands, like the new shop which probably put an end to a second tier on the Bob Lord as there is no place for supports

The new shop is in the corner, not behind the bob lord.

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:57 pm

UpTheBeehole wrote:How much would say it would cost then?

Are you saying our disabled fans aren't worth what the club are spending on them?
If you can find anywhere in these posts that even hints that disabled fans aren't worth this, then please quote it. Otherwise, stop making insinuations.

What I said was that these facilities aren't cheap.

UpTheBeehole

Post by UpTheBeehole » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:59 pm

dsr wrote:If you can find anywhere in these posts that even hints that disabled fans aren't worth this, then please quote it. Otherwise, stop making insinuations.

What I said was that these facilities aren't cheap.
You're clearly implying that £16k per seat is not worth it.

Clarinetclaret
Been Liked: 130 times
Has Liked: 6 times

Post by Clarinetclaret » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:02 pm

UpTheBeehole wrote:You're clearly implying that £16k per seat is not worth it.
How is he? He was clearly replying to another poster who had said that these plans were just a cheap way of getting round legislation.
Like I said, you're just trying to be a clone of KRBFC.