The treatment of Andre Gray.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1152 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Re: The treatment of Andre Gray.

Post by AlargeClaret » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:22 pm

It was hardly like the day shacks came back .A few boos a few cheers a half arsed chant ,he was v good for us and tbh received ruddy awful service much of last season .That said he’s a pro footballer and moved on to bigger much bigger money .We did fantastically well out of him (at just about his level imo ) and great business all round .Hes a bit big time Charlie and a bit “street” and was always gona get off if he could but no feelings either way .Once they leave they leave end of.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:24 pm

randomclaret2 wrote:Traffic wardens ?
So long as we don't get talking about lollipop ladies. They make me cross.
This user liked this post: longsidepies

ants_g
Been Liked: 30 times
Has Liked: 274 times

Post by ants_g » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:29 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:Agree, there's no other line of work that would allow people to hurl obscenities at you for 90 minutes a week
Try working for Bradford Council like I do :(

paulatky
Been Liked: 220 times
Has Liked: 772 times

Post by paulatky » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:35 pm

If I was paid what PL players are paid I would happily take abuse for 90 minutes a week.

paulatky
Been Liked: 220 times
Has Liked: 772 times

Post by paulatky » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:35 pm

If I was paid what PL players are paid I would happily take abuse for 90 minutes a week.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11034 times
Has Liked: 5645 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:42 pm

ants_g wrote:Try working for Bradford Council like I do :(
yeah but if you reported it it "should" be dealt with (I know it wouldn't be though) - in football it's just accepted

ClaretMoffitt
Been Liked: 1216 times
Has Liked: 807 times

Post by ClaretMoffitt » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:49 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:Agree, there's no other line of work that would allow people to hurl obscenities at you for 90 minutes a week
Oh trust me, there is

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11034 times
Has Liked: 5645 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:57 pm

ClaretMoffitt wrote:Oh trust me, there is
yep I fully understand that, doesn't make it legal and acceptable though does it

Siddo
Been Liked: 374 times
Has Liked: 1860 times

Post by Siddo » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:00 pm

He did well for us. I presume none of you AG haters clap the players that do the half time draw.
Would you call Dobbo or Trevor Steven greedy bastards. Would you clap them if they did the draw? Get real. They are professional footballers, not burnley fans.
This user liked this post: k90bfc

CBT
Been Liked: 108 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by CBT » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:05 pm

FactualFrank wrote:So long as we don't get talking about lollipop ladies. They make me cross.
They only make me cross because I'm a miserable git and they're always so freckin happy

I get your pun by the way

Hipper
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:05 pm

Did he really only leave for the money or was Dyche happy for him to depart?

ClaretMoffitt
Been Liked: 1216 times
Has Liked: 807 times

Post by ClaretMoffitt » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:18 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:yep I fully understand that, doesn't make it legal and acceptable though does it
Acceptable? No.

Legal? I'd be surprised if it wasn't

bobinho
Been Liked: 4094 times
Has Liked: 6570 times

Post by bobinho » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:46 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:Embarrassing.
Eh?

Look. Grays not very good. That’s a cast iron fact. Did ok for us at championship level, and left us for a club that isn’t either bigger or better. He thought they were, and he will suffer for that, because they aren’t.

Cups his ears at us when we’ve travelled a long way to support the team. Cups his ears at the Watford fans too???

You be embarrassed by all means. I neither booed nor applauded him. He plays for someone else, because he wants to. If people booed him, that’s up to them, but I’m certainly not embarrassed by that. They paid their money, they earned the right.

Did ok at championship level for us. Good footballer? There’s better footballers up towneley on Sunday morning. At this level, both us AND Watford know we’ve had their eyes out.

Andre gray is a “has been”. He will drift away down the leagues until only his family remember his name.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:48 pm

Rodriguez he's one of our own..... Chose west brom. But he's one of our own? No doubt he will get warmly applauded.. Why? He's one of our own...my ar$e! But I wouldn't boo him.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6485 times
Has Liked: 2910 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:01 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:Can anyone answer this?
As we left the ground I asked the same question. I don't think he did, unless it was when the ball was bouncing in and out of our box a bit.
I don't think he ever had the ball under control.
Thinking about it,he didn't touch it must be some sort of record,loved how Watford kept pumping the long ball for him to chase.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:07 pm

tim_noone wrote:Rodriguez he's one of our own..... Chose west brom. But he's one of our own? No doubt he will get warmly applauded.. Why? He's one of our own...my ar$e! But I wouldn't boo him.
I wouldn't sing the 'one of our own' chant to Rodriguez if he's playing against us, but don't you think there's a reason why some people (Rodriguez, Keane) get a warm reception and other's (Shackell, Gray) don't? It's usually because of the way they left or they way they connected, or failed to connect with the fans.

Gray was a bad egg. The homophobic stuff left a bad taste and his cupping ears at the crowd, who almost always gave him their full support, meant that he obviously didn't earn the right to get a 'hero's welcome' on his return to the Turf.

Incidentally I think this is one level too high for him and £18m was daylight robbery.

3putt
Been Liked: 180 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by 3putt » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:18 pm

bobinho wrote:Eh?

Look. Grays not very good. That’s a cast iron fact. Did ok for us at championship level, and left us for a club that isn’t either bigger or better. He thought they were, and he will suffer for that, because they aren’t.

Cups his ears at us when we’ve travelled a long way to support the team. Cups his ears at the Watford fans too???

You be embarrassed by all means. I neither booed nor applauded him. He plays for someone else, because he wants to. If people booed him, that’s up to them, but I’m certainly not embarrassed by that. They paid their money, they earned the right.

Did ok at championship level for us. Good footballer? There’s better footballers up towneley on Sunday morning. At this level, both us AND Watford know we’ve had their eyes out.

Andre gray is a “has been”. He will drift away down the leagues until only his family remember his name.

You are definitely warming to him bobinho :o :lol:

"Did okay at championship level for us" come on you know he did much much better than okay for us in the promotion season.

For the record I find fans who boo ex-players a little bit sad. Today I would of not reacted in any way when Gray came on, but once the silly minority booed him I reacted by applauding as quite a few other fans around me did.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:21 pm

Rileybobs wrote:I wouldn't sing the 'one of our own' chant to Rodriguez if he's playing against us, but don't you think there's a reason why some people (Rodriguez, Keane) get a warm reception and other's (Shackell, Gray) don't? It's usually because of the way they left or they way they connected, or failed to connect with the fans.

Gray was a bad egg. The homophobic stuff left a bad taste and his cupping ears at the crowd, who almost always gave him their full support, meant that he obviously didn't earn the right to get a 'hero's welcome' on his return to the Turf.

Incidentally I think this is one level too high for him and £18m was daylight robbery.
If he ever plays at turf moor out of curiosity..what reception would ings get?

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:24 pm

tim_noone wrote:If he ever plays at turf moor out of curiosity..what reception would ings get?
I imagine he would get a warm reception as he was a fans favourite and garnished a lot of publicity and good will for his local charity work.

Dressinggown
Been Liked: 553 times
Has Liked: 79 times

Post by Dressinggown » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:26 pm

He did a job for us.

No need for any boos.

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2329 times
Has Liked: 1401 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:35 pm

I think you'll find I agree with you regarding grays ability as a footballer. See post 27.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 921 times
Has Liked: 2751 times

Post by Stayingup » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:55 pm

bfccrazy wrote:We should have cheered him on - he was amazing for us.

I would have loved him to score .... Probably would have celebrated more than when Arfield bagged.
Are you simple drunk or what?

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2104 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:09 pm

Stayingup wrote:Are you simple drunk or what?
Neither. Which are you to get upset over the sarcasm going over your head?

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 174 times

Post by Nonayforever » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:10 pm

SD & the Burnley directors must still be laughing themselves to sleep every night with the knowledge of Watford's £18m in the bank.

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:16 pm

Nonayforever wrote:SD & the Burnley directors must still be laughing themselves to sleep every night with the knowledge of Watford's £18m in the bank.
That I agree with..he put £9million into our clubs coffers £9million amazing business! Thanks for choosing us instead of Bristol City.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:59 pm

tim_noone wrote:That I agree with..he put £9million into our clubs coffers £9million amazing business! Thanks for choosing us instead of Bristol City.
Absolutely!

£9 million quid and loads of goals that helped to put us where we are now!

What's not to like!?
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets longsidepies

Spiral
Been Liked: 2522 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Spiral » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:23 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:What's not to like!?
Cupping his ears at his own fans and being a bigot? This stuff has already been mentioned in this very thread. How can you still be asking that question?

FWIW, I'm about as indifferent as one could be towards the bloke.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:15 am

gray had a small amount of time here, did well with that early goal and was a firm favourite because we signed him.
Most could tell his head was up his a**e, and he would prefer southern based attention.
Might have been a decent lad but getting a tiny bit of stick from some supporters wouldn't have bothered him remotely.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 186 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:21 am

Talking to Watford fans at a train station on the way home, they think our club committed daylight robbery on them and they reckoned he touched the ball once.

As the bloke at the match to me said he is probably not the only greedy b******* out there on that pitch however I wouldn't worry about hurting his feelings too much as given some of his comments other people's feelings don't appear to concern him too much.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:21 am

I think we should all pipe down a bit. He clearly wanted to move to a 'bigger' club and be with his tart. I think we can surely all agree on that, yeah? He moved for money, fame and location - again - obvious! It doesn't take an expert to know this.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:56 am

Some fans are more concerned about an opposing player's feelings than the fact that player is trying to prevent their own team from winning. Pathetic.

Garnerssoap
Been Liked: 392 times
Has Liked: 514 times

Post by Garnerssoap » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:36 am

I don't care. He don't care. 1 - nil. **** you you Middlesex tossbags

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1354 times
Has Liked: 440 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:09 am

Look. Grays not very good. That’s a cast iron fact. Did ok for us at championship level
He was the top goalscorer in the league and we went up as champions.
These 2 users liked this post: Bordeauxclaret Steve-Harpers-perm

mikeS
Been Liked: 654 times
Has Liked: 25 times

Post by mikeS » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:25 am

I thought the reception he got was pretty much on a par to his track record, attitude, behaviour,performances and the comments he got up to him leaving us. Fair.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1882 times
Has Liked: 840 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:26 am

cutsy123 wrote:Funk him

He left us for no reason other than money. He deserved a boo
So like every other player then!?

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 2047 times

Post by LeadBelly » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:28 am

I don't understand some of the ill-feeling towards him.
The big pluses were his goals that helped us win the Championship and establish in the Prem (wasn't that goal at Crystal Palace for our away win last season well taken for instance). Also, the profit in £millions we made on him.
The negatives were the ear-cupping type posturing & the feeling that he wanted to be "big-time Charlie".
On balance a decent contribution to our recent success.
He plays for somebody else now, no need to clap him but no real need for the dislike/boos either.
This user liked this post: 3putt

bobinho
Been Liked: 4094 times
Has Liked: 6570 times

Post by bobinho » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:40 am

JohnMcGreal wrote:He was the top goalscorer in the league and we went up as champions.
You are quite correct. Maybe “okay” was a little harsh. He did well for us at championship level. He might do well again at that level. More chance of him doing okay though isn’t there?

My point stands though. He’s just not a very good footballer. Your namesake was a better footballer than gray. You know it, I know it, and now Watford and their fans know it.

I didn’t boo him, nor did I applaud. He’s a professional footballer in every sense of the word “professional”. He turns up, he trains, he plays, he very occasionally does well, and he takes the money, without developing any affinity whatsoever for who he plays for. It’s a job to him. That’s fair enough, that’s who he is. Other professional footballers are different. We have one or two who are. Dean Marney for example. He’s the sort of player I would miss my half time bene to welcome back with applause. FWIW, I think the only time we will se AG back here, is for another opposition team. In the cup, cos he won’t be in this league very long.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:53 am

New definition of "okay" being used here

Championship player of the year, in a team that finished top of the league and was unbeaten for 23 games.

Before we signed Andre, we were never, ever going to do that (ditto Barton btw)

I think it was about 50/50 to his reception, and I certainly wasn't alone clapping a lot longer than normal for a ex-player, if mainly to counter act the boos and stupid chant about money.

HatfieldClaret
Been Liked: 605 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by HatfieldClaret » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:59 am

Garnerssoap wrote:I don't care. He don't care. 1 - nil. **** you you Middlesex tossbags

Watford is in Hertfordshire, not Middlesex.
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone LeadBelly

3putt

Post by 3putt » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:59 am

"I think it was about 50/50 to his reception, and I certainly wasn't alone clapping a lot longer than normal for a ex-player, if mainly to counter act the boos and stupid chant about money."

I liked Gray as a player. He did okay in his first season in the Prem and the service he received was poor, in the Championship he was superb (or okay for those with a poor grasp of reality).

As I stated in an earlier post, I did not acknowledge his coming on to the pitch until the boos and stupid chants which led to me clapping him.

cav
Been Liked: 76 times
Has Liked: 74 times

Post by cav » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:02 am

There’s a lot of people getting upset on here about Andre Gray’s feelings when he wouldn’t give a toss about yours :lol:

As it goes, I didn’t applaud or boo... I really don’t understand making an opposition player welcome at Turf Moor. I think it’s a bit pathetic, especially anyone who tried to chant for him as well. You do understand he’s a Watford player now and attempting to beat our team?
This user liked this post: k90bfc

ecc
Been Liked: 1407 times
Has Liked: 1278 times

Post by ecc » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:09 am

Wasn't the booing linked to his reported attitude in forcing a transfer?

3putt

Post by 3putt » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:30 am

cav wrote:There’s a lot of people getting upset on here about Andre Gray’s feelings when he wouldn’t give a toss about yours :lol:

As it goes, I didn’t applaud or boo... I really don’t understand making an opposition player welcome at Turf Moor. I think it’s a bit pathetic, especially anyone who tried to chant for him as well. You do understand he’s a Watford player now and attempting to beat our team?

Not sure any Burnley fan could give a toss about Gray's feelings. More a case of some of us feeling embarrassed by our own fans reactions to ex-players which is what the OP said.

I still remember some fans (?) booing Glen Little when he came to the Turf with Reading - Morons.

I don't think there should be any reaction at all to returning ex-players apart from the very odd exceptional player worthy of a clap.

Jeffbfc
Been Liked: 443 times
Has Liked: 260 times

Post by Jeffbfc » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:40 am

3putt wrote:
I don't think there should be any reaction at all to returning ex-players apart from the very odd exceptional player worthy of a clap.
Spot on.
And then only for the half time draw. ;)
UTC

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:59 am

He got nowt but indifference from me. I am also not even remotely embarrassed by any of the booing that he got. People pay their money and take their choices.

what_no_pies
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by what_no_pies » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:19 am

Irrespective of his current position (which is still uncertain) he has a history of association with gangs.

It'd be foolish to deny Gray did well for us and scored plenty in the Championship - a real catalyst for that promotion.

He didn't make the step up to Premier League particularly well and his poor attributes (first touch, zero composure and ropey finishing) have been a greater factor than his strengths (pace and power) - this trend seems to be contining at Watford.

He never improved on any of those weaknesses whilst at Burnley.

He was found to have homophibic tendencies. Universally anybody that harbours such backwards beliefs should be slammed for those opinions. Nobody ought to be suprised that this revelation created a disconnect between him and the average supporter.

He lives in the limelight which will always emphasise somebodies characteristics - good or bad.

As fans we never universally warmed to him (justifiably in my view) and his response was to cup his ears towards us which smacks of disrespect.

He left at the first opportunity for more money and a life in London (it seems).

No wonder some fans didn't clap him, they have decided what he is and they don't like it. Every one of those supporters is entitled to their opinion too. Gray gave them plenty of reason to harbour those opinions.

For me he's made his bed and now he has to lie in it.

Numerous fans snapped back at me when I justified not liking him and claimed he'd fire if he went to a team that played to his strengths. Well his move to Watford is proving my opinion on his limited ability.

Croydon Claret
Been Liked: 1155 times
Has Liked: 783 times

Post by Croydon Claret » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:30 pm

Thought he made a real difference when he came on. For us :D

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:54 pm

He was unfortunate to come on immediately after the Watford player had dived in the area - think he would have got a better reception otherwise

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:30 pm

I think the sole reason Gray got more stick than personally I expected were the antics of the Watford team / coaching staff. He came on at a tense part of the game and I am not sure the crowd were in a mood to applaud any player.

As for Gray in a Burnley shirt there are some very selective memories on this thread. To say he had anything but a fantastic season for us when we got promotion is ridiculous.

The way he left the club was not great and he was never a person I and many other fans could warm to. I always thought he would leave Burnley as he seems more motivated by money and the "bling" trappings of your average footballer (I know most are motivated by money).

Gray looks like he is going backwards at Watford - which I find very pleasing ! If Deeney is fit or not suspended Gray is on the bench - I doubt very much that is what Watford expected when they forked out nearly £20m. Deeney was on the bench quite a lot last year and he looks a bit overweight to me (though I still think he would do a good job under Dyche)

Anyway what's not to like about doubling your money on a player that got us promotion and we then buy a better player ?

otto1959
Been Liked: 14 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by otto1959 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:49 pm

HatfieldClaret wrote:Watford is in Hertfordshire, not Middlesex.
Just shows how thick some of our own supporters are.