Getting down to the bare bones

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
FCBurnley
Been Liked: 2000 times
Has Liked: 1147 times

Getting down to the bare bones

Post by FCBurnley » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:03 pm

So our terrible run of injuries continues. We now have 4 of our first choice back 5 injured. So far we are managing to keep winning but any more injuries/suspensions could really hurt our season.

As I understand our injuries they are
Heaton long term
Lowton back soon
Mee back soon
Ward ?
Brady long term
Walters not too far away
Wells fit
Marney progressing well.

The question is Do we need more cover in the January window ? and if so in what area.
Gk ok
RB ok
CH need cover for Tarks/Long/Mee
LB ok
RM need cover for JGB ........Wells ?
CM need cover for Defour/Cork......Westwood ?
LM need cover for Arfield
Striker ok.

We can certainly survive with the current squad but if we want to stay in the top third/half then we probably need to buy. Remember the higher we finish the more money we get and Europa Lg is not out of the question. In Dyche we trust.

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2220 times
Has Liked: 2211 times

Re: Getting down to the bare bones

Post by fidelcastro » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:04 pm

I'd never have thought of that.
This user liked this post: yorkyclaret

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:11 pm

Mr Dyche said in a recent interview he was happy with the squad although we were a bit light at CB and out wide.
This indicates to me those will be the areas we are looking to improve on, even more so now with the injury to Brady and the recent defensive injuries.

A number 10 too if we are being greedy and are going to give a top 8 finish a real go.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:11 pm

Bare bones ?!!! Really ?

Mee and Lowton were both very close to playing according to SD....which when they shortly return gives SD a selection headache given how well Bardsley and Long have played.

No news on Ward yet but if he is out for a few weeks that is exactly why we have such excellent cover in Taylor. You don`t seriously think we should have cover for cover do you ?

We still have a pretty strong bench despite all the recent injuries and with January transfer window a couple of weeks away we are in the best position in many years - and that is partly got to be because of the depth of our squad.

In terms of prize money for where we finish again I would stop your worrying - we are virtually guaranteed to exceed our expectations.

Iloveyoubrady
Been Liked: 300 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by Iloveyoubrady » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:38 pm

FCBurnley wrote:
The question is Do we need more cover in the January window ? and if so in what area.
Gk ok
RB ok
CH need cover for Tarks/Long/Mee
LB ok
RM need cover for JGB ........Wells ?
CM need cover for Defour/Cork......Westwood ?
LM need cover for Arfield
Striker ok.

We can certainly survive with the current squad but if we want to stay in the top third/half then we probably need to buy. Remember the higher we finish the more money we get and Europa Lg is not out of the question. In Dyche we trust.
CB and a winger required. Only need 1 winger as our current ones can play both sides as most can. No cover for CM needed at all. We have Westwood and Marney to come in. And if all of Cork,Defour and Marney got injured for example - we can bring Hendrick back to play with Westwood. Hendrick and Westwood together are still a good pairing despite 3 possible injuries. We have great strength in midfield.

FCBurnley

Post by FCBurnley » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:42 pm

TVC15 wrote:Bare bones ?!!! Really ?

Mee and Lowton were both very close to playing according to SD....which when they shortly return gives SD a selection headache given how well Bardsley and Long have played.

No news on Ward yet but if he is out for a few weeks that is exactly why we have such excellent cover in Taylor. You don`t seriously think we should have cover for cover do you ?

We still have a pretty strong bench despite all the recent injuries and with January transfer window a couple of weeks away we are in the best position in many years - and that is partly got to be because of the depth of our squad.

In terms of prize money for where we finish again I would stop your worrying - we are virtually guaranteed to exceed our expectations.
Mee and Lowton will be automatic selections when fit. Taylor stepped in very well for Ward. Wells could step up as could Westwood. I just get worried when I see the likes of Ulvestad on our bench. I would certainly worry if Defour or Tarks got injured right now. Always better to be proactive imo. Our injury situation is the worst we have had for a long time.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:16 pm

FCBurnley wrote:Mee and Lowton will be automatic selections when fit. Taylor stepped in very well for Ward. Wells could step up as could Westwood. I just get worried when I see the likes of Ulvestad on our bench. I would certainly worry if Defour or Tarks got injured right now. Always better to be proactive imo. Our injury situation is the worst we have had for a long time.
How do you know Wells could step up ? When was the last time you saw him play ?

Not really sure what you are saying - if we are down to the "bare bones" as you say where is it exactly you think we should strengthen ?

Firthy
Been Liked: 1613 times
Has Liked: 277 times

Post by Firthy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:22 pm

MACCA wrote:A number 10 too if we are being greedy and are going to give a top 8 finish a real go.
Top 8 :o :o :shock: which of the teams below is going to catch us ? ;)

houseboy
Been Liked: 2240 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:25 pm

I'm a bit surprised that no-one has mentioned a striker. Hear me out guys. Wood is pretty good and so are Vokes and Barnes, then there is Wells (untried as yet) and Walters (not convinced as yet). They do a very good job for us without a doubt and we could trundle on nicely as is, but none of them could be described as great or even really good PL strikers. Our lack of goals is partly down to the way we play of course and as long as we defend the way we do we are always going to win more than we lose at the moment but I wouldn't mind seeing an investment in a more prolific striker, someone who gives us a bit more edge up front, some one with great acceleration and turn. Maybe we have him in Wells, I don't know, but until he gets a chance who knows.
Not moaning here guys (what IS there to moan about?) but just observing how we could be even better. We have two (yes 2) great goalkeepers, we have a brilliant central defensive pairing and 4 very good full backs, we have a central midfield that at the moment I wouldn't change for anyone (within financial reason that is) with JBG excellent out wide and (unfortunately injured) Brady (we need cover for him this season though as I think most people agree), but we have no-one up front who makes me think WOW.
As I said if nothing changes so what, providing the injuries don't keep coming, it's just what I think would improve us.

colne-claret
Been Liked: 294 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by colne-claret » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:42 pm

houseboy wrote:I'm a bit surprised that no-one has mentioned a striker. Hear me out guys. Wood is pretty good and so are Vokes and Barnes, then there is Wells (untried as yet) and Walters (not convinced as yet). They do a very good job for us without a doubt and we could trundle on nicely as is, but none of them could be described as great or even really good PL strikers. Our lack of goals is partly down to the way we play of course and as long as we defend the way we do we are always going to win more than we lose at the moment but I wouldn't mind seeing an investment in a more prolific striker, someone who gives us a bit more edge up front, some one with great acceleration and turn. Maybe we have him in Wells, I don't know, but until he gets a chance who knows.
Not moaning here guys (what IS there to moan about?) but just observing how we could be even better. We have two (yes 2) great goalkeepers, we have a brilliant central defensive pairing and 4 very good full backs, we have a central midfield that at the moment I wouldn't change for anyone (within financial reason that is) with JBG excellent out wide and (unfortunately injured) Brady (we need cover for him this season though as I think most people agree), but we have no-one up front who makes me think WOW.
As I said if nothing changes so what, providing the injuries don't keep coming, it's just what I think would improve us.
I think that is something we should look at in the summer when we need to strengthen for champions league. Hearing Griezmann could be leaving Atletico in the summer, we should try and sign him. Not out of our price range these days either.

Two players needed in January...centre half and a winger.

Indecisive
Been Liked: 400 times
Has Liked: 68 times

Post by Indecisive » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:51 pm

colne-claret wrote:I think that is something we should look at in the summer when we need to strengthen for champions league. Hearing Griezmann could be leaving Atletico in the summer, we should try and sign him. Not out of our price range these days either.

:lol:

If you could find someone like him, a fit Austin is guaranteed to get you goals. However the lads we have play the system perfectly. We're just going to have to accept we aren't going to be winning games 3 or 4 nil anytime soon.

I'll take 1-0's from now until the end of the season no problem.

If we can find them, a good quality centre half, and a hard working and speedy winger would be ideal. Shame we didn't get Lennon over the line in the summer.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:02 pm

houseboy wrote:I'm a bit surprised that no-one has mentioned a striker. Hear me out guys. Wood is pretty good and so are Vokes and Barnes, then there is Wells (untried as yet) and Walters (not convinced as yet). They do a very good job for us without a doubt and we could trundle on nicely as is, but none of them could be described as great or even really good PL strikers. Our lack of goals is partly down to the way we play of course and as long as we defend the way we do we are always going to win more than we lose at the moment but I wouldn't mind seeing an investment in a more prolific striker, someone who gives us a bit more edge up front, some one with great acceleration and turn. Maybe we have him in Wells, I don't know, but until he gets a chance who knows.
What's the point of signing Wood if we could potentially discard him after one season?

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4073 times
Has Liked: 1853 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:56 pm

We've got strikers coming out our earholes. There's no guarantee another one
would get more goals than the current ones. Yes, it would give us another option,
but the priority has got to be central defence.

We're light there.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:05 am

colne-claret wrote:I think that is something we should look at in the summer when we need to strengthen for champions league. Hearing Griezmann could be leaving Atletico in the summer, we should try and sign him. Not out of our price range these days either.

Agree with all that but the problem we always have, and I fully understand it, is not so much the COST of a player but the wages and contract length. I have no doubt at all that we could afford to buy a 40m striker but it's the 5m plus per year for 4 or 5 years that sort of kills it.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:11 am

Spijed wrote:What's the point of signing Wood if we could potentially discard him after one season?
Don't get me wrong mate I wouldn't get rid but if we could get someone even better to either play alongside him or even relegate him to the bench wouldn't you take that? It's all about moving forward but as I said if nothing changes in the immediate I'll still be happy.
Note: if Wood ends the season in double figures in the league please disregard all the above. ;)

FCBurnley

Post by FCBurnley » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:23 pm

houseboy wrote:Agree with all that but the problem we always have, and I fully understand it, is not so much the COST of a player but the wages and contract length. I have no doubt at all that we could afford to buy a 40m striker but it's the 5m plus per year for 4 or 5 years that sort of kills it.
A couple of loans would be an inexpensive insurance policy. Finding the right players that are available is the problem

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:47 pm

houseboy wrote:Don't get me wrong mate I wouldn't get rid but if we could get someone even better to either play alongside him or even relegate him to the bench wouldn't you take that? It's all about moving forward but as I said if nothing changes in the immediate I'll still be happy.
Note: if Wood ends the season in double figures in the league please disregard all the above. ;)
The danger is that players won't want to join us in future if they see they could be discarded soon after signing. What's got us this far is a mix of signings and existing players learning the framework that SD wants. Signing new players, too many, too often will make our progress much harder.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1160 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:56 pm

We’ve covered brilliantly I think ,and with everyone getting back to fitness and quality like Westwood wells etc we have to worry about.The way Bardsley Pope and Taylor have stepped up is testimony to the genius of Dyche

What we do need of course is some goals and a quality striker and or an upgraded version of Hendrick.We can use Vokes and Barnes in their current sub roles which works well.

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 544 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:07 pm

Could definitely see us going back in for Andone. More attractive to him now we're not in a relegation scrap. Nothing wrong with options.

FCBurnley

Post by FCBurnley » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:04 pm

So if Mee or Long get injured or suspended who comes in ?

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3149 times
Has Liked: 10254 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:09 pm

Whoever Dyche has prepared for that scenario. You can bet your life Dyche has that potential problem already covered.

FCBurnley

Post by FCBurnley » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:18 pm

Hope so but cant think who that would be.