127 mile walk (Liverpool to Leeds)

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Siddo
Been Liked: 374 times
Has Liked: 1860 times

Re: 127 mile walk (Liverpool to Leeds)

Post by Siddo » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:09 pm

KeighleyClaret wrote:Lots of decent pubs along side most canals. Canals came before roads and many of the hostelries are old and with good histories. I'd recommend getting the Nicholsons Guide (North West & the Pennines No. 5) now published as Collins Nicholson Waterways Guides. This lists all the canal side amenities and will indicate possible places to stay as well. Its £16 from Amazon.
Then you just need to decide how far you want to walk each day, and book ahead.
I'm planning a Cycle trip later in the year to raise money for the Presidents Charity at Keighley Golf Club. If you do decide to do the walk, come off at the Golf Club and I'll stand you lunch (and a pint). They you will be fortified for Bingley 5 and 3 rise locks (assuming you are going west to east!)
Normally true Keighley, but when we cycled it in 2 days we all commented on how few pubs there are on this canal. Also there are some long and isolated stretches.

I am going to cycle it in one day in 2018. It's a great journey.

Putneyclaret
Been Liked: 12 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by Putneyclaret » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:11 pm

As an aged, fairly experienced, but far from expert walker, I reckon on a 4 kph (2.5 mph) average over moderate terrain. Wife and I managed this walking both the North and South Downs Way but less on the fairly tough Via degli Dei (Bologna to Florence). On the Thames Path we were quicker, except for the muddy tracks. Good luck and take plenty of water.

KeighleyClaret
Been Liked: 340 times
Has Liked: 86 times

Post by KeighleyClaret » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:31 pm

Siddo wrote:Normally true Keighley, but when we cycled it in 2 days we all commented on how few pubs there are on this canal. Also there are some long and isolated stretches.
I know the Leeds to Barnoldswick section better than the section thereafter, but in that section there are plenty of decent places close to the canal - the Nicholsons guide tells you where you might find somewhere that you cannot actually see from the towpath. For example in Saltaire, Bingley, Skipton.

If I do the bike ride I'm going to be slow and reckon on maybe taking 3-4 days. Too old to rush.
This user liked this post: Siddo