Paul Tierney and obvious mistakes by Refs

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
steve1264b
Been Liked: 160 times

Paul Tierney and obvious mistakes by Refs

Post by steve1264b » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:01 am

I was wondering if Refs get pulled from games and "relegated" after obvious mistakes?

What are the consequences for Refs after poor performances?

Worst clanger went in our favour (swansea away), was that ref "taken out" for a while?

dsr
Been Liked: 4569 times
Has Liked: 2259 times

Re: Paul Tierney and obvious mistakes by Refs

Post by dsr » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:08 am

The thing about the non-penalty at Huddersfield it that it wasn't really an obvious mistake. A mistake, yes, but if referees were giving penalties only when they see a foul, then it would be an easy one to miss.

The problem is that refs in general are giving penalties when they don't see fouls - that's undoubted because of the number of non-fouls that are getting penalties. So when they see a player go down, they give a penalty umless they see definite evidence that there was no foul. Zaha's dive yesterday had no evidence whjatsoever that there was a push, because there wasn't one; but there was also no evidence that the ref could see that there was no puch, so he gave it. Which means that divers prosper, and it means that players who don't dive but fall naturally when their leg is taken don't get anything, and that penalties become random incidents which could equally well be judged by tossing a coin.

Tierney's decision would have been fair but wrong twenty years ago; the FA and FIFA, with their ambitions to make football a non-contact sport, have brought unfairness into the game.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32369 times
Has Liked: 5268 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:10 am

They sometimes get axed but Taylor didn't after that game

piston broke
Been Liked: 1447 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:33 am

The only excuse Tierney could have would be if he thought the keeper had touched the ball.
His position was perfect and he should have got it correct.

Mike Dean's decision yesterday was far worse.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:41 am

piston broke wrote:The only excuse Tierney could have would be if he thought the keeper had touched the ball.

Mike Dean's decision yesterday was far worse.
Tierney has said there was no contact and Jeff Hendrick lost his footing. If we never see Tierney again it will be too soon.
This user liked this post: ten bellies

summitclaret
Been Liked: 833 times
Has Liked: 1324 times

Post by summitclaret » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:42 am

I have just read the BBC report on palace v city and was staggered that there is no mention of zaha cheating or even that the pen was controversial. What a disgrace. If the cheating diver is not punished we might as well give up.

dsr

Post by dsr » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:42 am

piston broke wrote:The only excuse Tierney could have would be if he thought the keeper had touched the ball.
No, his (valid) excuse was that he didn't see (or wasn't sure he saw) the keeper catch the leg and thought Hendrick slipped. It's perfectly reasonable to believe that refs don't see ewvery single thing; what's not reasonable is when they start giving things they haven't seen.

RammyClaret61
Been Liked: 1110 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Post by RammyClaret61 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:43 am

But Tierney clearly says “no contact” so he was wrong on two levels.
1, there was contact.
2, if no contact? Yellow for diving, because we clearly appealed for a penalty.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3077 times
Has Liked: 5042 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:50 am

dsr wrote:No, his (valid) excuse was that he didn't see (or wasn't sure he saw) the keeper catch the leg and thought Hendrick slipped. It's perfectly reasonable to believe that refs don't see ewvery single thing; what's not reasonable is when they start giving things they haven't seen.
It isn't reasonable when everyone else in the ground, including the Huddersfield fans, thought it was a stonewaller. He had the perfect angle to see that Jeff had his leg taken, and he bottled it. Stop making excuses for the indefensible.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:55 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:It isn't reasonable when everyone else in the ground, including the Huddersfield fans, thought it was a stonewaller. He had the perfect angle to see that Jeff had his leg taken, and he bottled it. Stop making excuses for the indefensible.
It isn't reasonable and it begs the question as to what he was actually doing out there in the first place if he can't see that from the position he was in.

beddie
Been Liked: 1406 times
Has Liked: 518 times

Post by beddie » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:59 am

Tierney and others are not up to the standard expected for the Premier League. (My opinion of course). Had that been Oliver, (shame he was the fourth that day) and stood in exactly the same position as Tierney then I believe he would have given it. My Son gets married in a few months time, one of his guests is a football league ref, he's been in the middle a few times at the Turf and as the fourth, ( he did tell me that SD never leaves it alone) I'll have some interesting questions ready for him. (poor chap).

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:01 am

beddie wrote:Had that been Oliver, (shame he was the fourth that day) and stood in exactly the same position as Tierney then I believe he would have given it.
He gives them when Dele Alli dives

Claretmatt4
Been Liked: 1049 times
Has Liked: 723 times

Post by Claretmatt4 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:05 am

Not fair to blame the referees. Blame the players who are diving every week and forcing referees to make those decisions.

They need to start calling out diving. I'm sick of commentators and pundits saying 'oh that was soft' or 'there wasn't much contact' just say what it is! Cheating!

They don't want the brand that is the EPL to be tarnished by dishonesty, but ignoring it is not going to help.
This user liked this post: iw1961

beddie
Been Liked: 1406 times
Has Liked: 518 times

Post by beddie » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:08 am

"He gives them when Dele Alli dives". I still think he would have given it as the positioning/view for Tierney together with the natural fall of Hendrick made it so obvious.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:08 am

Claretmatt4 wrote:Not fair to blame the referees. Blame the players who are diving every week and forcing referees to make those decisions.

They need to start calling out diving. I'm sick of commentators and pundits saying 'oh that was soft' or 'there wasn't much contact' just say what it is! Cheating!

They don't want the brand that is the EPL to be tarnished by dishonesty, but ignoring it is not going to help.

And so the FA brought in the new rules but then don't seem to bother applying them most of the time.

dsr

Post by dsr » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:09 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:It isn't reasonable when everyone else in the ground, including the Huddersfield fans, thought it was a stonewaller. He had the perfect angle to see that Jeff had his leg taken, and he bottled it. Stop making excuses for the indefensible.
That's true in that sense, he's a referee and ought to see it. I'm not saying he shouldn't see it, just that if he didn't see it he shouldn't give it - unlike so many refs who will give things they haven't seen. In effect, they guess. Which is not OK when it comes to penalties or (eg.) Kane's foul that should have got him sent off just before they played us. It's better for the game if refs only give what they see.

BurnleyPaul
Been Liked: 158 times
Has Liked: 45 times

Post by BurnleyPaul » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:36 am

Why oh why can’t we just have panels comprised of an ex-player, ex-manager and an ex-referee to retrospectively examine ALL penalty claims (given or not given) from the previous round of matches and decide if there was a dive or it was, in their view, “soft” contact and the player made a meal of it by going to ground.

Having decided that a player dived they should then be banned for 3 games with NO right of appeal to the player and club. Furthermore I’d like the player to then pay a fine (1 week or salary) which would be given to a grassroots football charity which is NOT affiliated to any professional club and which is d3signated by the FA.

I reckon that within the first few games of such a regime that we’d see a drop in the number of cases of diving by players.

On top of this I’d also want referees who do fall for diving to be dropped from the next round of matches and made to referee their next game in the tier below where they made the mistake.

Now I’m not saying I’m pretty hardline when it comes to diving but.... :lol:

BleedingClaret
Been Liked: 986 times
Has Liked: 1659 times

Post by BleedingClaret » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:37 am

It was his dad that made the initial mistake imo

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:58 am

But a lot of burnley fans are cock sure on here about every decision being wrong that doesn't go in our favour. This one the ref got wrong but I wouldn't have bet my life on it being a pen on first viewing alone and anyone who says they would are full of sh*t

Refs are the best they have ever been and the issue is the unbelievable speed the game is played at and the level of scrutiny from the fans and the media

When you can consistently put the two managers in front of a TV monitor after the game and get them to both agree the ref was wrong then have a go at the ref. Until then it's you whinging obsessive blinkered fans that need to get a grip and just enjoy football for the GAME it is

Rammy1968
Been Liked: 94 times
Has Liked: 35 times

Post by Rammy1968 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:06 pm

Why would a player with an open goal fall over to gain a penalty?

Shocking refereeing decision was a clear penalty from the other side of the ground so the referee got it completely wrong.

Devil the referee said there was no contact and that Hendrick slipped. A blind man riding a horse backward would of seen the contact so perhaps the referee isn’t fit for purpose and simply not up to the task!

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:20 pm

It was a terrible decision but def didn't have an open goal which just highlights how people's views are distorted. It is plausible that is standing foot gave way in the turf and with it being stretched out in front he lost his balance. As we all know this didn't happen and the ref made a howler but at the pace it happened it's easy to get it wrong

Like I said come back when Dyche and all the other managers can be balanced and agree and not just bemoan every little decision that doesn't go their way as then we might get somewhere

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1997 times
Has Liked: 1141 times

Post by FCBurnley » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:17 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Tierney has said there was no contact and Jeff Hendrick lost his footing. If we never see Tierney again it will be too soon.
Then Tierney is a liar

Caernarfon_Claret
Been Liked: 1474 times
Has Liked: 634 times

Post by Caernarfon_Claret » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:22 pm

I'm for a new law - if a penalty is given when it shouldn't be you retrospectively take a goal away making a 0-1 win 0-0 and if it should be given and isn't a 0-0 becomes 1-0.

It's only ever going to happen in my dreams but still.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:51 pm

FCBurnley wrote:Then Tierney is a liar
If he doesn't see contact then he says there is no contact. Doesn't make him a liar, just a poor decision from a poor referee.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3077 times
Has Liked: 5042 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:48 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:But a lot of burnley fans are cock sure on here about every decision being wrong that doesn't go in our favour. This one the ref got wrong but I wouldn't have bet my life on it being a pen on first viewing alone and anyone who says they would are full of sh*t

Refs are the best they have ever been and the issue is the unbelievable speed the game is played at and the level of scrutiny from the fans and the media

When you can consistently put the two managers in front of a TV monitor after the game and get them to both agree the ref was wrong then have a go at the ref. Until then it's you whinging obsessive blinkered fans that need to get a grip and just enjoy football for the GAME it is
You don't half talk some shite
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera