Jeff Hendrick

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Re: Jeff Hendrick

Post by Tall Paul » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:34 pm

claretrobo1 wrote:Am I the only person who thought he did okay? Tidy play but made a bad mistake in the second half. Seems like he is being blamed for everything at the minute. He hasn’t been great and could’ve easily been dropped before today but I thought he did well
No you aren't.
This user liked this post: 1968claret

3putt
Been Liked: 180 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by 3putt » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:36 pm

His play in the final third today was shockingly bad, particularly in the second half. He clearly doesn't have the speed of thought required at this level, hesitates when in a good attacking position and invariably makes a hash of it. He needs replacing.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1881 times
Has Liked: 839 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:37 pm

Thought he did ok though one bell end in the Jimmy Mac upper at the end of the game said he needs ‘shooting’. Burnley fans always need a boo boy unfortunately for Hendrick he’s their new choice.
These 2 users liked this post: 1968claret JohnDearyMe

HiroshimaClaret
Been Liked: 746 times
Has Liked: 927 times

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:37 pm

He can`t see the tree for the trees.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:41 pm

There's a reason he rarely finishes a game. You change you weak links, tiring players or ones having an off day.

He had a shocking first half. Got us in defensive trouble a couple of times, got to the by-line and sent it out for a goal kick, stood offside when a decent move was developing then to top it off his only effort at goal, well was that of a youth player, no power, no confidence and just utter garbage.

I'm sure the majority are right again though, and he was good. ( which will show in the player ratings again I'm sure.... )

taio
Been Liked: 3240 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:42 pm

MACCA wrote:There's a reason he rarely finishes a game. You change you weak links, tiring players or ones having an off day.

He had a shocking first half. Got us in defensive trouble a couple of times, got to the by-line and sent it out for a goal kick, stood offside when a decent move was developing then to top it off his only effort at goal, well was that of a youth player, no power, no confidence and just utter garbage.

I'm sure the majority are right again though, and he was good. ( which will show in the player ratings again I'm sure.... )
He was certainly better that you're suggesting particularly first half

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1161 times
Has Liked: 1293 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:50 pm

I thought he played ok and not sure why he is being singled out in what I thought was a very good performance by Burbley.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:51 pm

3putt wrote:His play in the final third today was shockingly bad, particularly in the second half. He clearly doesn't have the speed of thought required at this level, hesitates when in a good attacking position and invariably makes a hash of it. He needs replacing.
This.

Murger
Been Liked: 1243 times
Has Liked: 845 times

Post by Murger » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:55 pm

Had yet another poor game. Needs taking out of the lineup.

piston broke
Been Liked: 1447 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:55 pm

He was fine today but is clearly wasted in the position he's playing and the sooner it gets sorted the better.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:01 pm

taio wrote:He was certainly better that you're suggesting particularly first half
Possibly not, I look forward to reading CT report next week and seeing his Ave rating for the game this week, he might get above 6 for the first time in half a dozen games.

The fact a few people even looked on in anticipation when he held his leg looking injured, told me iI the only one thinking he had ANOTHER "off day "

JPS71
Been Liked: 119 times
Has Liked: 310 times

Post by JPS71 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:03 pm

He played better than he has for a while when he dropped back abit.
Would have prefered starting GK with Scotty in the No 10 position.

what_no_pies
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by what_no_pies » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:11 pm

Not been at his best in that position but played really well today, particularly 1st half. Chronic end product all day mind which is probably a confidence thing.

Andreshotboots
Been Liked: 648 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by Andreshotboots » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:15 pm

Tall Paul wrote:No you aren't.
I thought he had a decent game today, couple of sloppy passes but more involved than of late. We just need that bit of quality/ luck in the final 3rd and we'll be reet...

claretspice
Been Liked: 2829 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:24 pm

MACCA wrote:There's a reason he rarely finishes a game. You change you weak links, tiring players or ones having an off day.

There's a lot of this post which is plain wrong, and virtually everything else involved taking facts out of context or being selective with them.

This total and utter lack if objectivity and support for a player makes it hard to avoid the conclusion that, unfortunately, this is a witch hunt, and tgat some fans are determined to see the bad side of a player rather then giving credit for the good. Its a real shame, in every meaning of the word. And it's definitely not supporting the team and the players.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6950 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:29 pm

I’ve been one of his bigger critics but I thought he was good in the first half today when he was often picking up the ball in deeper positions. Streets ahead of recent performances, Palace being the stand out worst. He seems to just lose all ability when he’s in the final third.

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:36 pm

claretspice wrote:There's a lot of this post which is plain wrong, and virtually everything else involved taking facts out of context or being selective with them.

This total and utter lack if objectivity and support for a player makes it hard to avoid the conclusion that, unfortunately, this is a witch hunt, and tgat some fans are determined to see the bad side of a player rather then giving credit for the good. Its a real shame, in every meaning of the word. And it's definitely not supporting the team and the players.
Sorry but there is no witch hunt here. Jeff played well in the first half today and was very involved. Of course its more natural for him to play better in a game where we are doing better going forward.

However, whilst he wasn't amongst our worst performers he let the team down a number of times with stupid passes and his general inability to look up before he plays a ball.

He really needs to be able to pick out a pass better than he does and at times I thought Arfield showed for the ball and made some excellent one touch passes, bettering what Hendrick should be doing, but in a different position.

He's no whipping boy and you of all be people should understand this is a discussion forum, just because people make criticism towards a player does not mean he isn't liked or that he is the centre of attention after some poor results.

He is just not suited to that position and it doesn't take someone long to notice that when you see him play. Simple as.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6481 times
Has Liked: 2908 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:37 pm

I quite like Jeff Hendrick.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:41 pm

superdimitri wrote:He is just not suited to that position and it doesn't take someone long to notice that when you see him play.
So why does Dyche continue to play him there?

Lew200100
Been Liked: 24 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by Lew200100 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:43 pm

I have been to every game and appreciate where we are but we never look like scoring unfortunately at the moment . I enjoyed today but for me we have 2 players who do contribute but aren't matching what is around them and Hendrick is one and Arfield is the other . I'd say we are excellent at the back and in central midfield we are excellent but we create very little in most games at the moment hopefully we can rectify things in this transfer window .

superdimitri

Post by superdimitri » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:49 pm

Spijed wrote:So why does Dyche continue to play him there?
Same reason we had Boyd and never used him in that role, or JBG. He doesn't know whats required of a player who plays in that position.

He thinks Jeff is "that" player and keeps faith that he will improve. Lets hope we see him start to play better each game but its a square peg in a round hole in my eyes.

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:01 pm

superdimitri wrote:Sorry but there is no witch hunt here. Jeff played well in the first half today and was very involved. Of course its more natural for him to play better in a game where we are doing better going forward.

However, whilst he wasn't amongst our worst performers he let the team down a number of times with stupid passes and his general inability to look up before he plays a ball.

He really needs to be able to pick out a pass better than he does and at times I thought Arfield showed for the ball and made some excellent one touch passes, bettering what Hendrick should be doing, but in a different position.

He's no whipping boy and you of all be people should understand this is a discussion forum, just because people make criticism towards a player does not mean he isn't liked or that he is the centre of attention after some poor results.

He is just not suited to that position and it doesn't take someone long to notice that when you see him play. Simple as.
So - you say he played well in the first half then make some criticisms. That's fair enough. I disagree and think he was much better than that - he twice played Arfield in with cute first-time passes in the first half, for example, and there was one glorious first time pass clipped down the line for JBG, which is 3 from the first half just off the top of my head - but it's a completely legitimate, reasoned opinion. I don't expect everyone to give him 8 out of 10 today.

My issue is with people giving him no credit at all for a good involved first half and its those people whose opinions are straying into the territory of a witch-hunt. I think someone described his first half as shocking - which is, well, shocking.

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1045 times
Has Liked: 819 times

Post by ClaretAL » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:02 pm

Hendrick needs a rest in my opinion. he has been poor for too long and continually playing a player performing poor can only breed complacency tat he will be started no matter what so what is there to fight for, in my opinion. Again in my opinion Barnes is the perfect number 10 to Vokes or Wood, I am also told Wells can do a good job in that position, so in my opinion I think Hendrick is a lot better in centre mid but being asked to play a role not suited to him. BUT and its a big BUT Dyche is a proven manager and it is his profession to know better than us, and make more educated decisions , and you have to say he is quite successful at doing it, so if he says its right , it is right. The game we love is all about opinions, and we all have them right or wrong.

superdimitri

Post by superdimitri » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:08 pm

Dyche keeps playing him because he wants him to come good, like many have played under Dyche and also "come good".

Its the reason Dyche has done so well with us, but it can also cost us moving forward if he doesn't recognise when to drop a player and how to deal with that player when he does.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3861 times
Has Liked: 2070 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:11 pm

Woeful again. The weak link in our side.

Passing to the opposition more than our boys and doesn't even compete for headers.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:15 pm

Thats rubbish in fairness

Jeff has had some iffy games. Today was not one of them. Far from it.

GDK
Been Liked: 18 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by GDK » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:16 pm

Hendrick's best game for a while today. He was part of a centre midfield 3 that worked really well together, and overall I'd say they looked a better unit today than Matic, Pogba and Mata. Which is fairly high praise.

Top notch "number 10s" who work as hard as Jeff, have a similar physical presence but never give the ball away are not easy to find.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3861 times
Has Liked: 2070 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:17 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Thats rubbish in fairness

Jeff has had some iffy games. Today was not one of them. Far from it.
Can you name one good thing he did today then? Shouldn't be hard in near enough a full game.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1152 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:30 pm

He was ok today 1st half but fell to pieces a bit in the 2nd. He's decent enough but he's no premier league play imo. That said with injures and virtually no goalscoring threat at all he needs JH in that role. Hopefully with Nkoudo looking very slick and Lennon on board,Wood back soon etc we can either find JH another role (non catering) more suited to his style

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:31 pm

He did his job Quick

You and Macca are basing your ratings on previous games and the one bad pass he did make I'm guessing.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5185 times
Has Liked: 803 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:37 pm

Jeff was reyt as a clock today.

I loved it when he 'carried the ball' and waltzed round Matic as though he wasn't there.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:40 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:Woeful again. The weak link in our side.

Passing to the opposition more than our boys and doesn't even compete for headers.
86% pass accuracy today. Only Cork's was better.
Quickenthetempo wrote: Can you name one good thing he did today then? Shouldn't be hard in near enough a full game.
Spice has named three in post # 222.

3putt

Post by 3putt » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:01 pm

claretspice wrote:There's a lot of this post which is plain wrong, and virtually everything else involved taking facts out of context or being selective with them.

Your defence of Hendrick week in week out is bordering on obsessive. How many long winded posts have you written in recent weeks trying to convince that the majority of fans are wrong about Hendrick. I accept that is your view of the player even if it is at odds with the majority. But to suggest that it is a witch hunt and that some fans are determined to see the bad side of a player is just plain wrong and silly.

I have been consistently critical of Hendrick because in my view he has been consistently poor. That does not mean however, that I am not supporting the team because I most certainly am. You will not find me being critical of any of the other players, but unfortunately he stands out for the wrong reasons. I would like nothing more for him to suddenly improve and I'm sure that will be the case for most if not all of his critics.

For the record, I thought he played reasonably well in the first half,the best I've seen him play for some time. Unfortunately in the second I thought he was awful, particularly in the final third where I lost count of the number of times he made a mess of promising situations.

Pretty convinced he is not good enough at this level and a real weak link. But would be delighted if he could turn it around and prove us critics wrong.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:20 pm

He has zero confidence especially in the final third. For that alone he should be rested. For his own benefit if nothing else.

claretabroad
Been Liked: 172 times
Has Liked: 23 times

Post by claretabroad » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:44 pm

Today was his best game for a while and he did a fine job considering he was up against Utd. I'm far from convinced he is the long term answer to that specific role in the team. I'm not sure what the answer is though. Perhaps he might grow into the role with more game time or alternatively we might consider using someone else there (JBG? Defour? Lennon?). His contribution over the season (in that position) has been less than what is required at this level and unless he raises his game it will continue to cost us opportunities.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:51 pm

I accept that is your view of the player even if it is at odds with the majority. But to suggest that it is a witch hunt and that some fans are determined to see the bad side of a player is just plain wrong and silly.
Yeah, and well done for not proving his exact point.

Hendrick was more than fine today. Not to acknowledge that is backing up Spices point beautifully.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5185 times
Has Liked: 803 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:56 pm

It's reminding me of the hilarious David Jones and George Boyd obsessions.

Boydesque
Been Liked: 14 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by Boydesque » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:14 pm

Oh dear
I would like to see some stats on workrate today as used to be produced on here about my mate George
Hendrick worked his balls off as all our team do
I m staggered he s still getting grief
I thought bar a couple of bad passes he was good today
Scott Arfield also worked his arse off but for some reason ( not his fault ) he s devoid of critism
Hendrick offers far and above what Scott offers
Scott’s been a gooden a legend actually (bastards net ) but Jesus people open your eyes

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Post by scouseclaret » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:20 pm

No witch hunt. I like to see all Burnley players do well, and Hendrick has on many occasions, but not for a good while. He was awful today - got the ball in some really promising positions but never drove forward which is surely what he should be doing in the role he's playing, and on at least two occasions turned attack into defence with rank bad passes.

(Oh, and anyone who thinks he was better than Arfield today wasn't at the same game as me!)

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3591 times
Has Liked: 1028 times

Post by jedi_master » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:25 pm

Hendrick has had some crap games recently, today wasn’t one of them.

He has become a target I’m afraid, various folk around me in the JMU are definitely not fans (putting it mildly!), and when he inevitably does make a mistake (the pass today when he was going forwards second half, I am sure you remember the one I mean...), he gets absolutely caned for it. This would be bad enough but the thing that gets on my tits is that when Defour, Gudmundsson or any of the players who are flavour of the month make an error, nothing is said/mentioned. He is a target.

I admire Dyche wanting him to play himself into confidence/winning folk over but for me a little break is in order, particularly with N’Koudou and Lennon (one would assume), being available next game. I would be starting Arfield in his position and sticking Lennon wide.

mickleoverclaret
Been Liked: 397 times
Has Liked: 429 times

Post by mickleoverclaret » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:44 pm

jedi_master wrote:Hendrick has had some crap games recently, today wasn’t one of them.

He has become a target I’m afraid, various folk around me in the JMU are definitely not fans (putting it mildly!), and when he inevitably does make a mistake (the pass today when he was going forwards second half, I am sure you remember the one I mean...), he gets absolutely caned for it. This would be bad enough but the thing that gets on my tits is that when Defour, Gudmundsson or any of the players who are flavour of the month make an error, nothing is said/mentioned. He is a target.

I admire Dyche wanting him to play himself into confidence/winning folk over but for me a little break is in order, particularly with N’Koudou and Lennon (one would assume), being available next game. I would be starting Arfield in his position and sticking Lennon wide.
Thought about this when Defour played a similar poor ball second half but he immediately got across and won it back. Don't think Hendrick offers much off the ball so when he's not delivering with it it's hard to defend him, although I agree with the majority that he was much better today.

3putt

Post by 3putt » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:50 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Yeah, and well done for not proving his exact point.

Hendrick was more than fine today. Not to acknowledge that is backing up Spices point beautifully.
l

You are congratulating me for not proving his exact point???

As I said he was reasonably good in the 1st half and really bad in the second half. Doesn't equate to more than fine in my view.

DuckworthsEA
Been Liked: 45 times

Post by DuckworthsEA » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:01 pm

He needs a spell on the sidelines. At the start of the season JBG went through a bit of a sticky spell. He got dropped for a couple of games and has since been one of our best players this season. No question Hendrick has been poor and has been on the decline for a while. I hope he comes good and he will do but he needs a few weeks on the bench.

superdimitri

Post by superdimitri » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:07 pm

You can be poor all game but it's those moments when you create something that counts.

He needs to look up more and needs to see players making runs. His pass to the opposition when we were on the attack says a lot. Plenty of options and he panicked and chose the opposition.

Creativity, flair, vision...just where is it? He made one good pass and ran past Matic once.

He was better today, but unless this becomes his "average" performance he isn't good enough to play in this position.

Bring on a proper playmaker.

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:09 pm

scouseclaret wrote:got the ball in some really promising positions but never drove forward which is surely what he should be doing in the role he's playing
Never drove forwards? Not once? Really? Not even on the occasion that he left Matic for dead? OK then.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6361 times
Has Liked: 8704 times

Post by IanMcL » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:10 pm

He seemed to lack confidence 1st half. Could not get rid quick enough. However, much more composed 2nd half and as game progressed and Arfield went forward and he dropped to the middle, did well.

UpTheClaretsFCBK
Been Liked: 372 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Post by UpTheClaretsFCBK » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:17 pm

Properly bored of Hendrick being scapegoated. Only scored two winning goals this season that won us 6 points. People need someone to blame for us being on a bad run.

IAmAClaret
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 306 times

Post by IAmAClaret » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:17 pm

I really don't get the "well if he's ****, why does dyche play him there?".

Dyche clearly thinks he is the best option for our system in that position. I'd disagree and say arfield would be better.

But, I'm not the manager of a top 8 team in england.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4093 times
Has Liked: 6568 times

Post by bobinho » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:27 am

No, your not, and neither am I. That doesn’t mean our opinions aren’t valid though. I agree entirely that Scotty would be better suited in there than hendrick. I could argue there are others in the squad who would at least match what hendrick is trying to do in there.

Who knows, maybe Lennon and Nkoudou out wide allows SD to try Scotty in there. But maybe he doesn’t want to. I dunno.

What I do know is there are about four people in the universe who think Jeff is doing ok in there (one is his dear old mum) and about 18,000 who think he’s due a rest.

andyh
Been Liked: 483 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by andyh » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:42 am

jedi_master wrote:Hendrick has had some crap games recently, today wasn’t one of them.

Totally agree. Not a bad game today but on the whole he is one of our weakest links. A break might do him good