Jeff Hendrick

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
bfcjg
Been Liked: 5083 times
Has Liked: 6890 times

Re: Jeff Hendrick

Post by bfcjg » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:43 am

Played well. More coaching required,if SD sees this as his position whilst the squad gets back to strength then so be it. Morons slagging him off during the game certainly won't help.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3082 times
Has Liked: 5059 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:58 am

He had a better game today, but is still a round peg in a square hole playing behind Barnes.
It was significant that every time he dropped back to the half way line to pick up the ball, he looked far more comfortable and an asset. The problem is you have more time on the ball playing alongside Defour and Cork in the middle, time to make a run or pick a pass. Playing behind Ash you need a lot faster reaction time, to see that pass or run, and he just isn't quick enough. It's not his fault so pointless slagging him off, I think he's a very good player, and if we swapped them all around Cork and Defour would struggle just the same, because their reaction time is no quicker than Jeff's.
It would be wonderful if we could find a natural player for that role, in this window. Maybe even try JBG in there if Lennon signs, but there's no guarantee that it would suit him either.

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2176 times
Has Liked: 3110 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:08 am

He is just not a number 10

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 511 times
Has Liked: 1062 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:17 am

Defour would be more at home in that position in home games and JBG perhaps in games away from home where we look to counter quicker.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2379 times
Has Liked: 3807 times

Post by JohnMac » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:23 am

A 'Number 10' is presumably one of these figures that ghost around the pitch between midfield and striker playing killer passes and affecting play, ergo given a free role.

I can't really think of many in reality that stand out apart from Hazard and Mata. I'm not sure Sanchez is as he always appears to be on the left of midfield to me.

Who are they and where are they?

I'm genuinely interested so I can compare what Hendrick is doing with what he is supposed to be doing.

I see him putting in the yards and playing to the best of his ability and perhaps it's the job that isn't suited to our side when up against the majority of teams.

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2176 times
Has Liked: 3110 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:32 am

Defour feels like more of one. I'd swap him and Hendrick round.

I understand the reluctance to break up a partnership in Cork and Defour....

bobinho
Been Liked: 4106 times
Has Liked: 6588 times

Post by bobinho » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:35 am

John, of course that’ll all depend on what he’s supposed to be doing.

We are all wondering what that is. Whatever it is, he just needs to be good at it. He needs to be effective. He needs to do whatever it is at 100% all the time. If he does all that, he will get an easier ride on here.

Liam Robinson
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by Liam Robinson » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:37 am

Number 10s that spring to mind:

Danny Ings
Robbie Blake
Jay Rodriguez
Adrian Heath

Coutinho
Lalana
Ferminio
Stirling
Barkley
Ali

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:47 am

Defour would be even less suited to what people think the role is than Hendrick.
These 3 users liked this post: Colburn_Claret timel0veandtendayi longsidepies

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3082 times
Has Liked: 5059 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:08 pm

JohnMac wrote:A 'Number 10' is presumably one of these figures that ghost around the pitch between midfield and striker playing killer passes and affecting play, ergo given a free role.

I can't really think of many in reality that stand out apart from Hazard and Mata. I'm not sure Sanchez is as he always appears to be on the left of midfield to me.

Who are they and where are they?

I'm genuinely interested so I can compare what Hendrick is doing with what he is supposed to be doing.

I see him putting in the yards and playing to the best of his ability and perhaps it's the job that isn't suited to our side when up against the majority of teams.
A natural no 10 is Danny Ings, whose reaction time is considerably faster than Hendrick. It's not the skill that's missing, just the reaction time. He gets into good positions, but fails to take advantage. The loose balls that sometimes break on the edge of the box, and we don't react quick enough. It's fine margins, but we are so close to being a very good team.
This user liked this post: JohnMac

watsonsclarets
Been Liked: 71 times
Has Liked: 121 times

Post by watsonsclarets » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:32 pm

Zach Clough-James Maddison
This user liked this post: lucs86

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:29 pm

Tall Paul wrote:Defour would be even less suited to what people think the role is than Hendrick.
Not saying play Defour there, because clearly he is the best midfielder we have had in 30 years. But there is nothing at all to suggest he would be worse than Hendrick.

He has more energy. A far superior touch, pass and vision. Can shoot with power and accuracy. Closes down and harries.

The only thing Hendrick has that Defour doesnt is height. But I dont recall him ever headering it!

pureclaret
Been Liked: 435 times
Has Liked: 176 times

Post by pureclaret » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:38 pm

I personally thought Hendrick did not do a lot wrong but just does not seem happy playing behind a striker, if fit id try Wells there, or if Wood's is fit id put Barnes as number 10

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:49 pm

Liam Robinson wrote:Number 10s that spring to mind:

Danny Ings
Robbie Blake
Jay Rodriguez
Adrian Heath

Coutinho
Lalana
Ferminio
Stirling
Barkley
Ali
Not sure Alli is a number 10. He's just an orthodox goalscoring midfielder - if anyone at Spurs is a 10 I'm style it's Eriksen. I'd also say Ings and Rodriguez are really just forwards.

But of the rest of your list- it's an interesting point. How many players like Coutinho, Lallana, Heath or Blake currently get to play that role in teams outside the top 6?

Tadic at Southampton is probably the closest, but even he spent this afternoon playing wide again at Spurs, as Siggurdsson did for Swansea last season and as Blake did for us at this level. Most teams, most of the time, play with 3 orthodox central midfielders and rely on their wide players to get close to the striker and fill that "no 10" void. I'm In fact given that of your list all of Coutinho, Firmino, Sterling and Eriksen have played aa many PL games out wide as off the striker so it's the shape the bigger clubs generally adopt too.

That's what we're aiming for too, and Lennon will help immensely.

Liam Robinson
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by Liam Robinson » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:23 pm

I think most teams that play with three central midfielders be that 4 5 1 or 4 3 3 have at least one central midfielder with an attacking creative focus. None of our current squad is suited to that role. We have had several in the past including Kevin McDonald and Wade Elliott in his latter years. It’s not necessary a number 10. Just an attacking midfielder. Not sure what Hendrick is supposed to be.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1489 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:38 pm

Played well today our soft goal given away was an accident waiting to happen after half time out rightsided midfield left Martial in acres of space also Phil Bardsley who had marked him well allowed Martial far too much room.Our defenders on our right flank were exposed when Tripp played there.We need to sort this Achilles out it's costing us games

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:39 pm

Liam Robinson wrote:I think most teams that play with three central midfielders be that 4 5 1 or 4 3 3 have at least one central midfielder with an attacking creative focus. None of our current squad is suited to that role. We have had several in the past including Kevin McDonald and Wade Elliott in his latter years. It’s not necessary a number 10. Just an attacking midfielder. Not sure what Hendrick is supposed to be.
A central midfielder with licence to drive forwards from midfield and link with the front 3, and the ability to cover for both wingers and/or one of Cork or Defour when they get forwards ahead of him (as they do regularly).

I would agree that Hendrick needs to get into goalscoring positions akin to that he found at Everton if hes going to really make that role his own, though. But he needs time and patience to get there.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3164 times
Has Liked: 6758 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:42 pm

Woodleyclaret wrote:Played well today our soft goal given away was an accident waiting to happen after half time out rightsided midfield left Martial in acres of space also Phil Bardsley who had marked him well allowed Martial far too much room.Our defenders on our right flank were exposed when Tripp played there.We need to sort this Achilles out it's costing us games
Soft goal, but well struck.
Taylor stranded upfield meant our defenders getting pulled to the left.
Taylor struggled to get back in position a couple of times, perhaps because he was carrying a bit of an injury.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1820 times
Has Liked: 1800 times

Post by dougcollins » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:02 pm

Is there anyone at the club capable of coaching Hendrick in the role he's being asked to play? Telling someone what they expect and actually coaching them are entirely different things.

He's frustrating the hell out of me at the moment and I'm trying to be as objective as I can.

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:04 pm

dougcollins wrote:Is there anyone at the club capable of coaching Hendrick in the role he's being asked to play? Telling someone what they expect and actually coaching them are entirely different things.

He's frustrating the hell out of me at the moment and I'm trying to be as objective as I can.
Are you sure your expectation of what is expected of his role, and the coaching staff's expectation, is the same?
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

Spiral
Been Liked: 2522 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Spiral » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:55 pm

claretspice wrote:A central midfielder with licence to drive forwards from midfield and link with the front 3, and the ability to cover for both wingers and/or one of Cork or Defour when they get forwards ahead of him (as they do regularly).
You've just described Scott Arfield.

HiroshimaClaret
Been Liked: 746 times
Has Liked: 927 times

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:20 am

Where`s Paul Comstive when you need him!!!??? Now he was a real No.10!!!!!!!!

jlup1980
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 531 times

Post by jlup1980 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:11 am

If we get the Lennon deal over the line this week I don't see why we shouldn't go for it at Newcastle. They're under pressure to get a result more than we are given our league positions. The number 10 role is a problem and one that should be addressed; the Newcastle game could be the perfect time to do that.

Lennon JBG N'Koudou
Barnes

That would be my preference. Basically allowing the three to swap positions through the game. They've all got pace and quality to hurt the opposition. It could be the start of something beautiful!