Pep Guardiola

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Wilf Mbanga
Been Liked: 66 times
Has Liked: 47 times

Pep Guardiola

Post by Wilf Mbanga » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:15 pm

Is it just me but I cannot handle his smug arrogance. £140m off the bench. Has he ever had a true challenge.

Dyche could win the League with City, Guardiola wouldn't be 7th with Burnley.
These 3 users liked this post: SussexDon1inIreland Pearcey Foshiznik

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2757 times
Has Liked: 4324 times

Re: Pep Guardiola

Post by randomclaret2 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:18 pm

The Press worship him...like they used to worship Mourinho

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3800 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:20 pm

No challenge at all, City being this good has nothing to do with him, they were always this good. The massive improvement in players individually since he walked through the door is also nothing to do with him, just all luck. What a rubbish manager that Pep bloke is, how on earth he keeps getting employed at the very top is beyond me.
These 3 users liked this post: Vegas Claret bob-the-scutter TractorFace

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11034 times
Has Liked: 5645 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:22 pm

doesn't matter what tools you have to work with it's how you put them all together. Raheem Sterling is vastly improved also, like him or not Pep is a top coach - i'd agree he wouldn't have Burnley winning the league though !

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6485 times
Has Liked: 2910 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:23 pm

Fantastic manager.

Wilf Mbanga

Post by Wilf Mbanga » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:24 pm

KRBFC wrote:No challenge at all, City being this good has nothing to do with him, they were always this good. The massive improvement in players individually since he walked through the door is also nothing to do with him, just all luck. What a rubbish manager that Pep bloke is, how on earth he keeps getting employed at the very top is beyond me.
Not saying he’s not good. Just think he is grossly overrated. He’s never had to build anything.

Lots of other people could do what he’s done. He did nowt at Bayern (relatively). Would love him to fail.
This user liked this post: SussexDon1inIreland

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:24 pm

Hes a complete cock. Im sure he has psychological issues.

Nice of the fourth official to rein him in when he was practically right back.
Last edited by cricketfieldclarets on Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: Wilf Mbanga

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3156 times
Has Liked: 6743 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:24 pm

Wilf Mbanga wrote:Is it just me but I cannot handle his smug arrogance. £140m off the bench. Has he ever had a true challenge.

Dyche could win the League with City, Guardiola wouldn't be 7th with Burnley.
No, it's not just you...
I want to punch him every time he opens his smug mouth :D
This user liked this post: SussexDon1inIreland

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:24 pm

Dyche could win the league with City, yeah sure he could. Like Moyes could at United or Rogers at Liverpool. There's levels to the game, Wilder has done a tremendous job at Sheff Utd, Paul Cook has been promoted every season for the last 2/3 years, could they also do it? If so, why are they managing in the 2nd and 3rd tier?
This user liked this post: Holtyclaret

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:25 pm

Pep Guardiola is a credit to the Catalonians.. Also he's a very good manager as well..Don't have a problem with him..

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11034 times
Has Liked: 5645 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:25 pm

KRBFC wrote:No challenge at all, City being this good has nothing to do with him, they were always this good. The massive improvement in players individually since he walked through the door is also nothing to do with him, just all luck. What a rubbish manager that Pep bloke is, how on earth he keeps getting employed at the very top is beyond me.
I think that's the first time we've ever agreed ! :lol:

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:26 pm

Wilf Mbanga wrote:Not saying he’s not good. Just think he is grossly overrated. He’s never had to build anything.

Lots of other people could do what he’s done. He did nowt at Bayern (relatively). Would love him to fail.
You can want him to fail all you want, coaches like Pep simply don't fail. How has he not had to build anything? look at the City side now..... an absolute transformation from when he walked in the door and they'd finished 3rd. He's turned pretty rubbish players into world beaters.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:27 pm

Wilf Mbanga wrote:Not saying he’s not good. Just think he is grossly overrated. He’s never had to build anything.

You`re football knowledge is really not that great is it ?

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:28 pm

I see we have football manager players here, buy better players and win.... very very easy really

Rightfoot
Been Liked: 113 times
Has Liked: 74 times

Post by Rightfoot » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:29 pm

Its impossible to buy god players on football manager

Wilf Mbanga

Post by Wilf Mbanga » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:34 pm

TVC15 wrote:You`re football knowledge is really not that great is it ?
No but my grammar is.
These 4 users liked this post: bob-the-scutter IanMcL elwaclaret Siddo

KefkaClaret
Been Liked: 468 times
Has Liked: 190 times

Post by KefkaClaret » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:34 pm

Only need to watch Sterling to see how much he has improved him. He's a great manager, cocky but good.

Wilf Mbanga

Post by Wilf Mbanga » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:36 pm

KRBFC wrote:You can want him to fail all you want, coaches like Pep simply don't fail. How has he not had to build anything? look at the City side now..... an absolute transformation from when he walked in the door and they'd finished 3rd. He's turned pretty rubbish players into world beaters.
But he’s had more money than Croesus (look it up KRBRFC). I am not saying he’s not got talents but many others could do it. Conte for one.

Wilf Mbanga

Post by Wilf Mbanga » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:37 pm

KRBFC wrote:You can want him to fail all you want, coaches like Pep simply don't fail. How has he not had to build anything? look at the City side now..... an absolute transformation from when he walked in the door and they'd finished 3rd. He's turned pretty rubbish players into world beaters.
But he’s had more money than Croesus (look it up KRBRFC). I am not saying he’s not got talents but many others could do it. Conte for one.

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 710 times
Has Liked: 619 times

Post by BabylonClaret » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:39 pm

Hahahahahahha - what a clownish OP

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3156 times
Has Liked: 6743 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:41 pm

Does anyone really "want" him to fail?
I think most of those who appear opposed to him are just bored with the inevitable success that the enormous sums of money available to him will bring....

and I'd still like to chin him ;)
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone Juan Tanamera

Wilf Mbanga

Post by Wilf Mbanga » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:44 pm

BabylonClaret wrote:Hahahahahahha - what a clownish OP
Another who believes the media hype. I’ll repeat again. He has talent and to manage a team of egos like that takes a certain skill but if you can solve any issue by throwing money at it then is that more of a challenge than making a player like Ben Mee (who I adore) a premier league player?

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:48 pm

Wilf Mbanga wrote:But he’s had more money than Croesus (look it up KRBRFC). I am not saying he’s not got talents but many others could do it. Conte for one.
Did he spend more than anyone in making Barcelona into one of the greatest teams in football history ?
How much exactly did he pay for Lionel Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Busques etc ?

So you are seriously saying that many others could have done what Pep did - including Conte ? Have they just chose not to because they had other things on ?

Look at the gulf between United and City yet both managers have spent roughly the same since joining the respective manchester clubs.

It`s fine to not like someone but let`s not just make crap up eh. I despise Mourinho more than anyone else in football but I can at least accept he is good at his job (or he was)

Wilf Mbanga

Post by Wilf Mbanga » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:57 pm

TVC15 wrote:Did he spend more than anyone in making Barcelona into one of the greatest teams in football history ?
How much exactly did he pay for Lionel Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Busques etc ?

So you are seriously saying that many others could have done what Pep did - including Conte ? Have they just chose not to because they had other things on ?

Look at the gulf between United and City yet both managers have spent roughly the same since joining the respective manchester clubs.

It`s fine to not like someone but let`s not just make crap up eh. I despise Mourinho more than anyone else in football but I can at least accept he is good at his job (or he was)
He only inherited Messi, Iniesta, Xavi..

Look we’re arguing over a very similar point. Guardiola is not a duffer - far from it - my point is he has had massive opportunities given to him - at the beginning because of his stella playing career - that others would also have taken advantage of.

I just don’t like the messiah like devotion people have for him. He’s not the messiah he’s a smug and arrogant and I’d love him to fail. He won’t though.

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2633 times
Has Liked: 6447 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:00 pm

Personally I want to hate him and everything about him but I can’t help but admire his passion and knowledge of the game - the man is a genius, anyone who disagrees doesn’t understand football IMO

bob-the-scutter
Been Liked: 420 times
Has Liked: 995 times

Post by bob-the-scutter » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:01 pm

Like exceptionally gifted players, Best, Pele, Messi & Ronaldo and are just head and shoulders above everything else we see, I think Guardiola is our generations one off...just very very special.

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:06 pm

He cuts a rather different figure in interviews this season to last. Whe things weren’t going his way last term, he came across as spiky, monosyllabic, and surly. I’d like to see more of that before the season’s over.
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:07 pm

Wilf Mbanga wrote:He only inherited Messi, Iniesta, Xavi..

Look we’re arguing over a very similar point. Guardiola is not a duffer - far from it - my point is he has had massive opportunities given to him - at the beginning because of his stella playing career - that others would also have taken advantage of.

I just don’t like the messiah like devotion people have for him. He’s not the messiah he’s a smug and arrogant and I’d love him to fail. He won’t though.
We are definitely not arguing over a very similar point.

You can't have it both ways - one minute implying he is only successful because he spent money and then saying he "inherited" the players.
He might have inherited some players but he turned them into some of the best players the world has ever seen. Was it purely coincidence that he was the manager ?
You know little about the man if you think he had the opportunities handed to him on a plate. That is just utter sh-ite that you are making up.

Nobody is saying he is the messiah - he's just the best manager in the world and he has got his team playing great football. If you were a Barcelona fan though he would quite rightly be the messiah !
Last edited by TVC15 on Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:07 pm

He has far more room to make signings that don't work out and as they keep winning it won't matter.

Likewise, they don't have a wage ceiling, nor any issue about wasting money if they win the league. I doubt Guardiola (on a reported 17 million per year), or anyone else at the club would ever be bothered about the wages some players earn.

Could you ever imagine Guardiola telling a youth team player that money isn't important?

Wexford_Claret
Been Liked: 430 times
Has Liked: 384 times

Post by Wexford_Claret » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:07 pm

Arrogant when he’s winning, unpleasant when he’s losing. Perfect for City (or rather, what City’ve become.)
This user liked this post: Wilf Mbanga

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:23 pm

Wilf Mbanga wrote:But he’s had more money than Croesus (look it up KRBRFC). I am not saying he’s not got talents but many others could do it. Conte for one.
Has he though? you have to remember he's competing with clubs who spend enormous sums.... he's not in a relegation battle, he's competing for trophies with sides like PSG who spent £350M on 2 players, Barca about to spend £140M on Coutinho, Man United spent £150M on Pogba and Lukaku, Real Madrid £100M on Bale, Liverpool £135M on Van Dijk and Keita.

He's also behind all those other clubs because City were behind when he walked through the door, the side he plays is basically one he inherited and has made them great. David Silva and De Bruyne have turned into superstars they weren't, Sterling looks world class, Sane has developed into a superstar, I wouldn't have took Otamendi here last year, look at him now.... All with Delph at left back. Did he sign all these players? no he didn't, he developed and coached them into something great and is making sides like Man Utd look bang average.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:25 pm

Wilf Mbanga wrote:He only inherited Messi, Iniesta, Xavi..

He also inherited Ronaldinho and Deco who were flogged instantly because it's the Pep way or the high way. Imagine walking into management at Barcelona and instantly selling Ronaldinho, unheard of.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6362 times
Has Liked: 8705 times

Post by IanMcL » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:31 pm

There is no doubt that the Barcelona format works, with the highest quality players doing their duty and working hard 6 trophies in 1 season at Barca. He can manage great players very well and does what he has to to buy and sell the right ones.

Just like Mr Dyche who lacks the same funding.

TractorFace
Been Liked: 117 times
Has Liked: 71 times

Post by TractorFace » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:34 pm

Yeah, Pep is utter rubbish. You only have to look at Citeh and what he's done to this Citeh squad to realise this.

Oh...

lucs86
Been Liked: 177 times
Has Liked: 631 times

Post by lucs86 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:13 pm

Raheem Sterling is not world class, wish people would give it a rest. He dribbles well because he's tiny and quick with a bit of skill, no other part of his game is anywhere near exceptional. Pep's not improved him anything like what people are talking about, he was doing this at Liverpool, he just getting to do the thing he's good at regularly whilst Pep's got them playing this way, dominating the ball and quick counter attacks, dribbling to the byline and giving/receiving tap ins.
Apart from rare phases of play I predict he'll continue to do bugger all in an England shirt. Not world class.

KefkaClaret
Been Liked: 468 times
Has Liked: 190 times

Post by KefkaClaret » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:21 pm

lucs86 wrote:Raheem Sterling is not world class, wish people would give it a rest. He dribbles well because he's tiny and quick with a bit of skill, no other part of his game is anywhere near exceptional. Pep's not improved him anything like what people are talking about, he was doing this at Liverpool, he just getting to do the thing he's good at regularly whilst Pep's got them playing this way, dominating the ball and quick counter attacks, dribbling to the byline and giving/receiving tap ins.
Apart from rare phases of play I predict he'll continue to do bugger all in an England shirt. Not world class.
Unbelievable that people can let their bias hide the truth. He's scored 18 goals this year, 7 higher then his best. Pep has made him world class.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:23 pm

I agree Sterling is not world class.
£50m was way too much money for him back then.
But Pep has improved his game without a doubt. Just to get in that team is an achievement and he has scored a ton of goals. It's very simplistic to say he has great players around him. If he wasn't good enough then there are plenty waiting on the bench who are.
I am not Sterlings greatest fan but he has played better this season then I ever thought he was capable of.
Says more about the way the manager sets up the team and their style of play.
If Sterling would have gone to Arsenal in the summer I think he would have been poor and exposed under Wenger.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:27 pm

TVC15 wrote:If Sterling would have gone to Arsenal in the summer I think he would have been poor and exposed under Wenger.
Sanchez has come on a long way since he came to Arsenal, one of the few who has done so under Wenger in recent times so it's hard to say whether Sterling might have done the same or not.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:29 pm

lucs86 wrote:Raheem Sterling is not world class, wish people would give it a rest. He dribbles well because he's tiny and quick with a bit of skill, no other part of his game is anywhere near exceptional. Pep's not improved him anything like what people are talking about, he was doing this at Liverpool, he just getting to do the thing he's good at regularly whilst Pep's got them playing this way, dominating the ball and quick counter attacks, dribbling to the byline and giving/receiving tap ins.
18 goals and 4 assists so far this season, compared with 9 goals (all comps) in his full final season at Liverpool. Otherwise yeah, you're right, why are all these people saying he's improved Raheem Sterling. Crazy talk

lucs86
Been Liked: 177 times
Has Liked: 631 times

Post by lucs86 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:12 pm

City have improved, massively, they're possibly the best team in the world right now. Sterling hasn't remarkably improved his game, he's doing the same things that he was doing years ago at Liverpool in a far better team that puts him in the positions he likes far more regularly. We'll see how much better he does for England, I'd bank on no better.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1882 times
Has Liked: 840 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:21 pm

He has improved City aided by a bottomless pit of cash like each club but has been at. But the media rave about what a great job he has done...

Zesty
Been Liked: 49 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by Zesty » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:31 pm

conyoviejo wrote:Pep Guardiola is a credit to the Catalonians.. Also he's a very good manager as well..Don't have a problem with him..

This.

Steve-Harpers-perm

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:32 pm

Zesty wrote:This.
Brown nose

Zesty
Been Liked: 49 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by Zesty » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:32 pm

Also, money doesn’t necessarily guarantee success. Look at United, spent almost the same and nowhere near as good. Pep is the (second) best manager in the world atm (Dyche). He’s spent a lot but that style of football and the way City are performing is incredible.

Steve-Harpers-perm

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:35 pm

Zesty wrote:Also, money doesn’t necessarily guarantee success. Look at United, spent almost the same and nowhere near as good. Pep is the (second) best manager in the world atm (Dyche). He’s spent a lot but that style of football and the way City are performing is incredible.
What clubs has he worked at with a budget?

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:37 pm

Zesty wrote:Also, money doesn’t necessarily guarantee success.
Rovers?

bobinho
Been Liked: 4094 times
Has Liked: 6570 times

Post by bobinho » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:40 pm

Showed his true colours last year.

Mourinho/wenger esque.

Chris waddle could achieve what he’s doing with the players at his disposal. Hell, they could manage themselves to the PL title.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:41 pm

Outstanding manager.

John Johnson 1605
Been Liked: 237 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by John Johnson 1605 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:51 pm

Pep Guardiola

=

“The Emperor’s New Clothes.”

City fan
Been Liked: 12 times

Post by City fan » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:55 pm

Guardiola is a genius, but he needs the tools, and he only manages where he has the tools. Put yourself in his shoes, you would pick and choose your job. That said City was not an easy job when he came in because we had just finished 4th and we were way off the title and the team needed to be rebuilt. It was basically Mancini's team grown old.

You can't compare Dyche to Guardiola because they have different quality footballers to work with. Dyche has to show that he can take Burnley from a solid defensive unit into a team that can attack and defend. It's much easier to be able to park the bus than it is to be able to dominate possession and open teams up. For Burnley it's all about progression. You like City have had a fantastic few years from different starting points.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets