Sixties Burnley.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
kentonclaret
Been Liked: 977 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Re: Sixties Burnley.

Post by kentonclaret » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:35 pm

I recognise that cobbled street. Isn't that Memory Lane? :lol:
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:50 pm

Gerry Hattrick wrote:Nah then Lanky.

Cracking thread this, ‘specially for us olduns.
Thee and me ‘must be’, not ‘are probably’ older than most.
I’ll reach the same milestone as you in March. As a matter of interest, what date’s your birthday, …. Mine’s the 7th and I wouldn’t like you to be able to call me a young whippersnapper.
Wonder just how many there actually are on here who are more ancient than us and when they went on their first match. Mine was 1945/46 when my grandad took me on.

Anyway, back to your post.
I can remember the knocker up quite clearly in the fifties although he didn’t come to our house. My mum’s reasoning was that as she was a light sleeper she always heard him banging on the window next door so why pay him? Tight sod were me mum! Mind you, like most folk who lived near t’Turf in those days, we’d nowt much anyway.

Going back to the OP. It was the late fifties when t’coyl and t’milk began being delivered by motor vehicles and there weren’t all that many horse and carts still doing it in the early sixties when I came back from National Service.
Creatures of habit with great memories were the delivery horses. They didn’t need controlling or directing. The farmer’s horse which brought our milk, without having to be told, stopped in exactly the same spot on our back street right outside our house every day and relieved itself. Gallons of ‘yellow water’ ran down ‘the channel’ into the grate and my mum shovelled up a bucket full of droppings which my dad took to his allotment. Grew fantastic rhubarb and roses did mi dad. The back street didn’t smell like roses in summer though!
When the farmer had ladled the milk out of the churn into the jugs the neighbours had brought out, he grunted ‘hup’ and the horse set off, taking EXACTLY the same line every time, so much so that the iron tyres on the cart wheels cut into the cobbles where they sloped down at the ends, eventually leaving ‘tracks’.
There’s an example of this still there less than 100 yards from our house as you can see on the attached piccy.

Reyt, that’s enough of my reminiscing and rambling, I could go on for ever as us old codgers are prone to do given the slightest opportunity.
I was 8 in 61/62 and jacksons delivered the milk in stoneyholme.I only did it once jumped on the back of the cart on Gordon street for a free ride when jumping off in my brand new pumps what were the chances of landing in a big slimy mess of steaming horse sh!t..... :? Is your picture of cobbles leading down to Piccadilly rd?

Volvoclaret
Been Liked: 664 times
Has Liked: 379 times

Post by Volvoclaret » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:01 pm

Didn't Jacksons have a depot next to the Methodist church?
Joss's farm, with his big dogs and firing the old shotgun at those silly enough to cross his land.
Remember black pipe, there was a green one as well I think.
Anyone remember the old bakery far side of the Rec, said to be haunted?

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:05 pm

Volvoclaret wrote:Didn't Jacksons have a depot next to the Methodist church?
Joss's farm, with his big dogs and firing the old shotgun at those silly enough to cross his land.
Remember black pipe, there was a green one as well I think.
Anyone remember the old bakery far side of the Rec, said to be haunted?
Weren't it blackledge with the gun? Yes the bakery was a massive red bricked building couldn't get near there was always a brindle boxer dog twoing and frowing.

Volvoclaret

Post by Volvoclaret » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:17 pm

No it was deffo Joss. I can remember the shout many a time.."Josh is coming" as we fled from burning the field or diverting the stream onto his land. Right little barstewards we wuz.

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:22 pm

I got passed and checked the big bull at jacksons massive.no we were little scallywags with the arse hanging out of our trousers and mucky faces!!

Volvoclaret

Post by Volvoclaret » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:26 pm

Used to sneak passed in Autumn to get to King Conker tree on Jacksons land. Went to junior school with their daughter, Marrina I think she was called.

Eloise Laws
Been Liked: 329 times
Has Liked: 251 times

Post by Eloise Laws » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:43 pm

There was. Might be wrong, but I seem to recall it being called Hattons before it was Kennings.

Yes Tony, it was Hattons - had a ramp running up the side to the service area

lovebeingaclaret
Been Liked: 120 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by lovebeingaclaret » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:25 pm

Saw the reference to public baths earlier in the thread and remembered a decent view of North Street Baths which can be seen in the centre of the picture. It was an impressive structure but is now a wasteland since its demolition. I believe it was the first in the town in offering saunas with ice baths and rows of beds for recovery. Seem to recall the claim it was one of the first in the country to offer them.

St Andrews Church can be seen to the left and Barden Senior School to the right.

The picture is a still taken from Whistle Down the Wind.
Attachments
_8.jpg
_8.jpg (29.63 KiB) Viewed 3901 times
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone nil_desperandum

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 635 times

Post by Tribesmen » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:24 pm

Volvoclaret wrote:Used to sneak passed in Autumn to get to King Conker tree on Jacksons land. Went to junior school with their daughter, Marrina I think she was called.
Goodness we used to go to the corker tree but i think there was a few of them . I remember just before the farm if you took the road there was a bend which curved upwards on the right of it was Bluebell wood as we used to call it , now never seen as many Bluebells as that spot .
Also if you crossed the wood over the small stream a few fields over you came down to the bottom of Rectory Rd where the garages were, now played football night and day there and used to get chased away with the farmer who used to get around on a small motorbike , we used to say it ran on Tomato juice for some reason .
This user liked this post: Volvoclaret

Gerry Hattrick
Been Liked: 151 times
Has Liked: 305 times

Post by Gerry Hattrick » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:51 pm

From post 152:-

"I was 8 in 61/62 and jacksons delivered the milk in stoneyholme.I only did it once jumped on the back of the cart on Gordon street for a free ride when jumping off in my brand new pumps what were the chances of landing in a big slimy mess of steaming horse sh!t..... :? Is your picture of cobbles leading down to Piccadilly rd?"

No Tim,it's not that end of town.
As it's shown on Google Street Scene, just for a bit of fun, and if you've nowt else better to do, if I tell you It's less than ten minutes walk from the Turf and there's two pubs within 220 yards of it, wonder how long it will take to locate it. :-)

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:13 pm

It's off tod road between woodman and rifle volunteers. One thing not mentioned on here we all remember the 12 o clock and 1 o clock buzzer into the seventies.strange looking back.

Volvoclaret

Post by Volvoclaret » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:24 pm

Spot on Tribesman. Now part of M65 :oops:

Chobulous
Been Liked: 955 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by Chobulous » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:24 am

tim_noone wrote:I was 8 in 61/62 and jacksons delivered the milk in stoneyholme.I only did it once jumped on the back of the cart on Gordon street for a free ride when jumping off in my brand new pumps what were the chances of landing in a big slimy mess of steaming horse sh!t..... :? Is your picture of cobbles leading down to Piccadilly rd?
Bit of a coincidence here. We lived on Gordon Street at number 19. I was also 8 in 1961. I don't remember jumping on a milk cart though.

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:30 am

Chobulous wrote:Bit of a coincidence here. We lived on Gordon Street at number 19. I was also 8 in 1961. I don't remember jumping on a milk cart though.
:lol: :lol: you were to busy climbing the black pipe! The brothers john and David? Lived on there....who perished in the Spanish air crash.: (

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:08 pm

Been sent these to show to my dad. Sixties stoneyholme. Any posters on these or recognise those who are?
Attachments
received_10213969756498939.jpeg
received_10213969756498939.jpeg (71.78 KiB) Viewed 3674 times
received_10213969757698969.jpeg
received_10213969757698969.jpeg (265.34 KiB) Viewed 3674 times
received_10213969764059128.jpeg
received_10213969764059128.jpeg (40.87 KiB) Viewed 3674 times
This user liked this post: turfytopper

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:21 pm

Recognise last photo Gary Roberts Tony stoiles tommy mc George and possibly darryl angeli. Twins Steven brown and David brown and possibly Granville O Neil The second photo they all look just a bit scared!

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32370 times
Has Liked: 5268 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:36 pm

tim_noone wrote:Recognise last photo Gary Roberts Tony stoiles tommy mc George and possibly darryl angeli. Twins Steven brown and David brown and possibly Granville O Neil The second photo they all look just a bit scared!
Daz Angeli - surely there can only be one with that name. The DazI knew was a really good friend of mine, tragically killed in a road accident back in 1972 aged just 19.

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:47 pm

Yes...I'm sure he's second back row left. Yes he died young : ( what looks like jimmy nuttall next to him on the end.

ClaretCanada
Been Liked: 444 times
Has Liked: 505 times

Post by ClaretCanada » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:45 am

Gerry Hattrick wrote:Nah then Lanky.

Cracking thread this, ‘specially for us olduns.
Thee and me ‘must be’, not ‘are probably’ older than most.
I’ll reach the same milestone as you in March. As a matter of interest, what date’s your birthday, …. Mine’s the 7th and I wouldn’t like you to be able to call me a young whippersnapper.
Wonder just how many there actually are on here who are more ancient than us and when they went on their first match. Mine was 1945/46 when my grandad took me on.

Anyway, back to your post.
I can remember the knocker up quite clearly in the fifties although he didn’t come to our house. My mum’s reasoning was that as she was a light sleeper she always heard him banging on the window next door so why pay him? Tight sod were me mum! Mind you, like most folk who lived near t’Turf in those days, we’d nowt much anyway.

Going back to the OP. It was the late fifties when t’coyl and t’milk began being delivered by motor vehicles and there weren’t all that many horse and carts still doing it in the early sixties when I came back from National Service.
Creatures of habit with great memories were the delivery horses. They didn’t need controlling or directing. The farmer’s horse which brought our milk, without having to be told, stopped in exactly the same spot on our back street right outside our house every day and relieved itself. Gallons of ‘yellow water’ ran down ‘the channel’ into the grate and my mum shovelled up a bucket full of droppings which my dad took to his allotment. Grew fantastic rhubarb and roses did mi dad. The back street didn’t smell like roses in summer though!
When the farmer had ladled the milk out of the churn into the jugs the neighbours had brought out, he grunted ‘hup’ and the horse set off, taking EXACTLY the same line every time, so much so that the iron tyres on the cart wheels cut into the cobbles where they sloped down at the ends, eventually leaving ‘tracks’.
There’s an example of this still there less than 100 yards from our house as you can see on the attached piccy.

Reyt, that’s enough of my reminiscing and rambling, I could go on for ever as us old codgers are prone to do given the slightest opportunity.
Never enough reminiscing and rambling, memories are what keep us young

turfytopper
Been Liked: 409 times
Has Liked: 3421 times

Post by turfytopper » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:07 am

Cirrus_Minor wrote:My grandmas in Barrowford had a long drop toilet, used to frighten me to death that I would falll down it.
We used to take the mickey out of a lad in my class for having a "long drop".

Problem came when we were playing football outside his house one day and I suddenly got an urge....big time. He refused me entry into his back yard for fear of embarrassment.

My embarrassment was far worse :-(

HatfieldClaret
Been Liked: 605 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by HatfieldClaret » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:58 am

I think the teacher in the first photo is my aunt. I haven't seen her for 30 years.

Hair standing up on the back of the neck at the moment....

HatfieldClaret

Post by HatfieldClaret » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:45 pm

Mae Lloyd-Davies nee Whittam

Chobulous
Been Liked: 955 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by Chobulous » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:07 pm

I remember Jack Whittam was the caretaker at Stoneyholme Juniors who was always chasing us out of the school yard when we were playing football after school hours. You could hear his clogs before he arrived so he never caught any of us. Was he related?

The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Post by The Enclosure » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:05 pm

we used to collect cigarette packets (fag packets) when we were kids and played games with them.
Some of the cigarette names I remember were-
Passing Cloud
Sobrani
Black Russian
Piccadilly
Robin
Churchmans
Park Drive
Black Cat
Capstan Full Strength
Weights
Players
Senior Service
I am sure there are many more that I cant bring to mind just now.

ps
Turf and Craven A
Last edited by The Enclosure on Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HatfieldClaret

Post by HatfieldClaret » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:34 pm

Chobulous wrote:I remember Jack Whittam was the caretaker at Stoneyholme Juniors who was always chasing us out of the school yard when we were playing football after school hours. You could hear his clogs before he arrived so he never caught any of us. Was he related?
Not that I know of but possibly.

Maple Leafs
Been Liked: 4 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Maple Leafs » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:03 pm

I was the best bobers player up Healey Wood in the early sixtys , not to bad at conkers has well tha nose :roll: :roll: :roll:

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:11 pm

tim_noone wrote:Yes...I'm sure he's second back row left. Yes he died young : ( what looks like jimmy nuttall next to him on the end.
I knew Daz some year later at Burnley Grammar - we used to go to the away games together, but was involved in a car accident when he was at Uni at Nottingham. Was in the passenger seat and died a few days later.

lesxdp
Been Liked: 112 times
Has Liked: 1662 times

Post by lesxdp » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:13 pm

.It definitely closed in 1973 but, from memory, I don't think it was demolished for a good number of years after that and was just left derelict. The site wasn't used again until Sainsbury's moved in which prompted the departure of Safeway on the other side of the roundabout.

You are probably correct on the closure of the odeon. Not sure of the exact year but somewhere between I think 1979 and 1982 was the time of the Safeway closure.
The closure of Safeway was timed to allow staff the opportunity to transfer to Sainsbury

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 1006 times
Has Liked: 2047 times

Post by LeadBelly » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:17 pm

Maple Leaf says "...I was the best bobers player up Healey Wood in the early sixtys"

Was that for the whole of Healey/Laithe, Berry and Davies? + was it for all forms of the game? The main variety when I played up there on the back streets was "nug" marbles. The "nug" usually being a missing cobble.

icu81b4
Been Liked: 341 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Post by icu81b4 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:06 pm

tim_noone wrote:No you were right. One used to pay in and a group would wait by the exit doors to be let in!! "We come along on Saturday morning greeting everybody with a smile" was the theme song blaring out!
Hopalong Cassidy & Dan Dare on the bill, and I think The Lone Ranger too.

How much was it to get in? I remember getting a sixpence but that might have been for sweets on the way in, my elder sister held the money.

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:25 pm

icu81b4 wrote:Hopalong Cassidy & Dan Dare on the bill, and I think The Lone Ranger too.

How much was it to get in? I remember getting a sixpence but that might have been for sweets on the way in, my elder sister held the money.
I was a weekly gatecrasher... I know,sorry!

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:32 pm

The Enclosure wrote:we used to collect cigarette packets (fag packets) when we were kids and played games with them.
Some of the cigarette names I remember were-
Passing Cloud
Sobrani
Black Russian
Piccadilly
Robin
Churchmans
Park Drive
Black Cat
Capstan Full Strength
Weights
Players
Senior Service
I am sure there are many more that I cant bring to mind just now.

ps
Turf and Craven A
Three castles ...smoked all them On the List Before I was 15!used to get them from the tobacconist on Hebrew rd.dont know how I got away with it! Quit smoking at 30!
This user liked this post: The Enclosure

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:41 pm

On the subject of cigarette packets - It was some time before the 50s/60s but there used to be footballer cards in them. My grandma had a grocers shop and one day someone brought a packet back and said there was no card in so she swapped the pack only to be told there wasn't one in there either.

It turned out my dad had been in the shop when it was closed and nicked them to try and complete the set.
This user liked this post: The Enclosure

paulus the woodgnome
Been Liked: 258 times
Has Liked: 260 times

Post by paulus the woodgnome » Fri May 25, 2018 3:05 pm

clansman wrote:Pretty sure the second car is a Vauxhall Victor.!
Didn't the rear window have more of a slope on the Victor?

COBBLE
Been Liked: 350 times
Has Liked: 472 times

Post by COBBLE » Fri May 25, 2018 4:04 pm

Paulus, you just come out of hibernation?

paulus the woodgnome

Post by paulus the woodgnome » Fri May 25, 2018 4:43 pm

COBBLE wrote:Paulus, you just come out of hibernation?
I was searching for a particular word, COBBLE, and stumbled upon this thread. Then I remembered the unidentified car, which. frankly is bugging me :)
UTC
This user liked this post: COBBLE

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Fri May 25, 2018 8:25 pm

Cirrus_Minor wrote:My grandmas in Barrowford had a long drop toilet, used to frighten me to death that I would falll down it.
It's called a tippler

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Fri May 25, 2018 8:30 pm

Scouting through this thread and surely the knocker uppers had long since gone by the 60s?

My mum who is 90 tells me about them when she lived on Forest Street, Nelson back in the 30s, early 40s.

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Fri May 25, 2018 8:44 pm

Top Claret wrote:Scouting through this thread and surely the knocker uppers had long since gone by the 60s?

My mum who is 90 tells me about them when she lived on Forest Street, Nelson back in the 30s, early 40s.
Along with clogs? No the knocker up was still rattling the windows 63/64

uni_queue
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by uni_queue » Fri May 25, 2018 9:05 pm

Hillman Minx ?

ecc
Been Liked: 1407 times
Has Liked: 1278 times

Post by ecc » Fri May 25, 2018 9:14 pm

One thing which is still the case are the stairs in the terraced houses. Like scaling Everest (not that I've scaled Everest mind but you know what I mean).

paulus the woodgnome

Post by paulus the woodgnome » Fri May 25, 2018 9:24 pm

bob-the-scutter wrote:who remembers this?

Lets have another look at the offending vehicle :x

paulus the woodgnome

Post by paulus the woodgnome » Fri May 25, 2018 9:25 pm

The Imp we're agreed on, but the darker coloured car? I'd say it's too long for a Hillman Minx.

paulus the woodgnome

Post by paulus the woodgnome » Fri May 25, 2018 9:40 pm

uni_queue wrote:Hillman Minx ?
I've changed my mind, I think you could be right. Am going to attempt to post pics of some contenders :)

paulus the woodgnome

Post by paulus the woodgnome » Fri May 25, 2018 9:43 pm

Minx 1967-1970.jpg
Minx 1967-1970.jpg (15.95 KiB) Viewed 2767 times
Hunter 1966-1976.jpg
Hunter 1966-1976.jpg (24.65 KiB) Viewed 2767 times
Singer Vogue 1966-1970.jpg
Singer Vogue 1966-1970.jpg (24.26 KiB) Viewed 2767 times

paulus the woodgnome

Post by paulus the woodgnome » Fri May 25, 2018 9:45 pm

Or this?
Singer Gazelle_1967-1970.jpg
Singer Gazelle_1967-1970.jpg (31.15 KiB) Viewed 2764 times

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2970 times
Has Liked: 2069 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Fri May 25, 2018 11:33 pm

I think that the Hillman Imp could actually be a Simca, on second thoughts.

Remember them ? :(

paulus the woodgnome

Post by paulus the woodgnome » Fri May 25, 2018 11:39 pm

Funkydrummer wrote:I think that the Hillman Imp could actually be a Simca, on second thoughts.

Remember them ? :(
Oh no.

crundale
Been Liked: 96 times
Has Liked: 36 times

Post by crundale » Sat May 26, 2018 9:04 am

I remember North St Baths. Walking hand in hand from St John's Ivy Street in the sixties. Hot and damp and smelt of detergent. The clanking turnstile. Individual changing cubicles that you had to share with a mate. Does anyone remember the "bogey back street?" We lived on Ardwick St, 62, and most of our mates had at least one Irish parent who hammered the "Dragoon, Duke of York, Face Winds at weekends etc etc.