Jarrod Bowen

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
aggi
Been Liked: 2117 times

Jarrod Bowen

Post by aggi » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:28 am

Talking to a Hull fan at work about this lad. He's scored 11 goals for a pretty poor Hull side this season and has just turned 21.

There doesn't seem to be much in the way of rumours or interest regarding him which is a little surprising given his age and current run of form. I wonder if he's one that we're interested in, seems to fit the profile of signing potential.

cutsy123
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 351 times

Re: Jarrod Bowen

Post by cutsy123 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:56 pm

Not good enough

Pearcey
Been Liked: 1149 times
Has Liked: 1443 times

Post by Pearcey » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:53 pm

J Bowen, look what you could’ve won!
These 3 users liked this post: FactualFrank Bosscat bfcjg

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3800 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:12 pm

Mentioned him a few times, would be a good addition. Former non league player, looks excellent.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6363 times
Has Liked: 8707 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:15 pm

Prem league?

aggi
Been Liked: 2117 times

Post by aggi » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:16 am

Current top scorer in the Championship, I knew we should have snapped him up. Going by our previous signings we will at the end of the season if he remains top scorer.

https://www.worldfootball.net/goalgette ... 2019-2020/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:35 am

Newcastle are favourites to sign him apparently

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:36 am

That ship has sailed.

Firthy
Been Liked: 1613 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Post by Firthy » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:03 am

FactualFrank wrote:That ship has sailed.
Well and truly out of sight now :shock: :lol:

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:11 am

aggi wrote:Talking to a Hull fan at work about this lad. He's scored 11 goals for a pretty poor Hull side this season and has just turned 21.

There doesn't seem to be much in the way of rumours or interest regarding him which is a little surprising given his age and current run of form. I wonder if he's one that we're interested in, seems to fit the profile of signing potential.
Alas Matty Vydra was even better than him in the Championship and that hasn't worked out too well (for whatever reason). I know we have to cut cloth accordingly but I can't help thinking we need to set our sights a little higher than Championship players now if we are to improve. If we want to move forward, however slightly, we now have to be more selective in the quality we bring in or we will wind up spending money to stand still. We really need to cast our net more abroad - some excellent players to be had without paying stupid PL money - South America especially.

*Yes I know Vydra is a Czech but we got him from an English club.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:16 am

Is there no cheaper option available :o

Failing that we could get an aging old pro in who's hood around the dressing room :x

Failing both of the above, we could seem interested, put in several low ball bids, not be held to ransom, pull out, and then be out bid in what is a difficult market .
Least we will have made all the right noises, and looked to have been active ;)

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:17 am

houseboy wrote:Alas Matty Vydra was even better than him in the Championship and that hasn't worked out too well (for whatever reason). I know we have to cut cloth accordingly but I can't help thinking we need to set our sights a little higher than Championship players now if we are to improve. If we want to move forward, however slightly, we now have to be more selective in the quality we bring in or we will wind up spending money to stand still. We really need to cast our net more abroad - some excellent players to be had without paying stupid PL money - South America especially.

Maddison, Brooks and Mount have shown there's plenty of players well capable of stepping up. We clearly don't want to shop abroad, it's just not going to happen under Dyche.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:38 pm

jrgbfc wrote:Maddison, Brooks and Mount have shown there's plenty of players well capable of stepping up. We clearly don't want to shop abroad, it's just not going to happen under Dyche.
True. I'm not certain why Dyche doesn't seem too keen on looking abroad because there are players to be had at far less than PL prices. He certainly hasn't had too much luck in that direction with the exception of JBG who was of course used to the English game before we got him. The other problem, which I'm sure affects a lot of clubs is how many decent quality strikers would come here knowing that without injuries or suspensions they are doomed to be on the bench because at the moment Dyche, quite rightly, isn't gonna drop Barnes or Wood. We're not Chelsea or City where they would come for the money and glamour, we are Burnley and no good striker is going to join us to sit on OUR bench I believe. Jay came back but he loves the club and the town and is, to be fair, probably past his best. Unfortunately he hasn't broke any pots since he came back, but again to be fair that may be down to not playing enough.

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3181 times
Has Liked: 1865 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:42 pm

houseboy wrote:True. I'm not certain why Dyche doesn't seem too keen on looking abroad because there are players to be had at far less than PL prices. He certainly hasn't had too much luck in that direction with the exception of JBG who was of course used to the English game before we got him.
I don't think its necessarily a Dyche thing though, we have never had much luck with getting players from overseas and them working out, with all our foreign players that have been successful having already played for British teams

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:47 pm

wilks_bfc wrote:I don't think its necessarily a Dyche thing though, we have never had much luck with getting players from overseas and them working out, with all our foreign players that have been successful having already played for British teams
True. Maybe it's the Pennine weather. It's no coincidence that our best players over the years have been Celts and Geordies. Anyone else needs gloves and tights. :lol: :lol: :lol:

claretspice
Been Liked: 2829 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:49 pm

Regarding Bowen, I've got to confess to being a bit sceptical about him. When I've seen him he's looked talented and technically good, but quick enough rather than super quick and not super strong. Those sorts of players, not unlike Wells, don't always translate to the Premier League and so I don't think his success is guaranteed. So at the reported prices, I'd question whether he's a great fit.

All of our transfer strategy is based around pragmatism. The only times we've really speculated in recent times are when we have needed to turn to plan B late in a window - Gibson and Vydra being the obvious examples - and even then whilst Gibson hasn't forced himself into the team, he had a solid PL track record. Whilst I could see us paying £20 million for the right player, I can't see us paying that for players who have any real element of risk about them. That also removes quite a lot of overseas players from the equation.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1487 times
Has Liked: 1847 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:52 pm

James now at Manure would have worth a punt while at Swansea
I think our scouting network is still a work in progress

Hipper
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:58 pm

There was Maupay (4) and Adams (no goals) so far this season.

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1507 times
Has Liked: 580 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:02 pm

houseboy wrote:Alas Matty Vydra was even better than him in the Championship and that hasn't worked out too well (for whatever reason). I know we have to cut cloth accordingly but I can't help thinking we need to set our sights a little higher than Championship players now if we are to improve. If we want to move forward, however slightly, we now have to be more selective in the quality we bring in or we will wind up spending money to stand still. We really need to cast our net more abroad - some excellent players to be had without paying stupid PL money - South America especially.

There's all sorts of work permit issues involved with signing players from South America, which is why PL clubs rarely do it. Never mind the costs associated with scouting / logistics etc.

I agree with the fundamental point that we need to start moving away a little from the 'British/Irish' model, especially because we baulk at paying the premiums associated with such players, but I don't think these bargains are easy to find abroad as you think. Look at Almiron e.g. - playing in MLS, yet still cost Newcastle north of £20 million. And he's been a wash out. Also Wesley at Villa - signed from the usual bargain basement of the Belgian league - again north of £20 million. Fulham could probably provide you with an extended list of the failed Ligue 1 flops that's been on their books.

We can be frustrating sometimes, particularly with the so-called 'low ball' strategy that's apparent, but it's not easy at all, especially with our budget, which we still have to keep a tight rein over.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:12 pm

Swizzlestick wrote:There's all sorts of work permit issues involved with signing players from South America, which is why PL clubs rarely do it. Never mind the costs associated with scouting / logistics etc.

I agree with the fundamental point that we need to start moving away a little from the 'British/Irish' model, especially because we baulk at paying the premiums associated with such players, but I don't think these bargains are easy to find abroad as you think. Look at Almiron e.g. - playing in MLS, yet still cost Newcastle north of £20 million. And he's been a wash out. Also Wesley at Villa - signed from the usual bargain basement of the Belgian league - again north of £20 million. Fulham could probably provide you with an extended list of the failed Ligue 1 flops that's been on their books.

We can be frustrating sometimes, particularly with the so-called 'low ball' strategy that's apparent, but it's not easy at all, especially with our budget, which we still have to keep a tight rein over.
Take your points but I'm not sure about 'PL clubs rarely doing it'. Currently the top four nations (non-English) represented in the PL are, in order, Ireland, Argentina, Germany and Brazil.
Actually one stat that slightly shocked me (although I don't know why) was the fact that just over 65% of players in the PL are foreign. No wonder it's taken us forever to get a half decent England team together.
Having said all that I wouldn't mind one or two decent foreigners.

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:25 pm

houseboy wrote:Take your points but I'm not sure about 'PL clubs rarely doing it'. Currently the top four nations (non-English) represented in the PL are, in order, Ireland, Argentina, Germany and Brazil.
Actually one stat that slightly shocked me (although I don't know why) was the fact that just over 65% of players in the PL are foreign. No wonder it's taken us forever to get a half decent England team together.
Having said all that I wouldn't mind one or two decent foreigners.
The Argentinian and Brazilian players overwhelmingly play for the "bigger" clubs, though.

There have been relatively few successful signings from South America (directly) who have been made by clubs at our level in the PL - partly because the work permit criteria mean that only top class players from those countries can generally get WPs.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4098 times
Has Liked: 6573 times

Post by bobinho » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:35 pm

May I offer two very good reasons?

Barnes and Wood.
This user liked this post: houseboy

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:43 pm

bobinho wrote:May I offer two very good reasons?

Barnes and Wood.
As he pointed himself, he didnt get a chance when both Wood and Barnes went 10 games without a goal at the start of last season.
Barnes scored 1 in the first 15 games with 5 games or more either side of his only goal in those 15, and Wood didn't score in the opening 10 games, when our form and results were a major concern

If he didn't get the chance then, he never was likely too.
The form of Barnes and Wood is irrelevant, he wont play unless absolutely necessary.
He is the one forward we wanted to go this summer, sadly it didn't happen.

Hopefully for everyone's sake, that happens in January.
Last edited by MACCA on Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:52 pm

claretspice wrote:The Argentinian and Brazilian players overwhelmingly play for the "bigger" clubs, though.

There have been relatively few successful signings from South America (directly) who have been made by clubs at our level in the PL - partly because the work permit criteria mean that only top class players from those countries can generally get WPs.
We did have Diego Penny though. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
This user liked this post: Bosscat

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:59 pm

bobinho wrote:May I offer two very good reasons?

Barnes and Wood.
2 excellent reasons. Actually I would love to see him play more games because he seems a good player, but I can't see that happening because we are never in a cup long enough. :lol:
This user liked this post: bobinho

Erasmus
Been Liked: 574 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Erasmus » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:50 pm

Spice, do you not think all of our signings are a gamble simply because we don't have the money or pulling power to attract established Premier League players? Tarkowski, Westwood, Wood, Barnes, Gudmundson, Hendrick and others, none of them had really proved themselves at our present level and so were all pretty much uncertain quantities.

When people complain about Wells, Vydra and other signings that haven't come off, I don't accept that criticism. The surprise is that so few of our signings haven't been worth the money when we always have to just hope that anyone we bring in will be able to make the step up.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6488 times
Has Liked: 2911 times

Post by Steve1956 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:54 pm

Missed a trick here,no chance we will sign him now.

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:17 pm

Erasmus wrote:Spice, do you not think all of our signings are a gamble simply because we don't have the money or pulling power to attract established Premier League players? Tarkowski, Westwood, Wood, Barnes, Gudmundson, Hendrick and others, none of them had really proved themselves at our present level and so were all pretty much uncertain quantities.

When people complain about Wells, Vydra and other signings that haven't come off, I don't accept that criticism. The surprise is that so few of our signings haven't been worth the money when we always have to just hope that anyone we bring in will be able to make the step up.
Any signing is a gamble to some extent.

But yes, you're right. Tarks and Barnes are a little different because we signed them when we were in the Championship. Westwood was a a bit of a gamble but had played over 100 games at this level and he only cost £5 million. Gudmundson only cost £3 million, which only really leaves Wood and Hendrick who were gambles that we paid (at the time) "big" fees for. But as risks go they were relatively steady punts - they had good track records, and the fees were big without being outrageous. I'm not sure either was in the same league as paying north of £20 million for Bowen, for example (even allowing for inflation).

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:46 am

Scored another two yesterday, as did Eze at QPR. Bowen's contract is up this summer but apparently Hull have the option to trigger an extra 12 months, which its certain they will do, even if it just means getting a bigger fee for him.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5074 times
Has Liked: 6850 times

Post by bfcjg » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:10 am

He'd be a welcome addition to the bench.

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:12 am

Has Steven Defour got any fit mates?

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1487 times
Has Liked: 1847 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:15 am

Eze is a good shout. QPR are skint but we must move quickly and sweeten the deal with Naaki and Joe Hart as makeweights

Bangers&Mash
Been Liked: 123 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by Bangers&Mash » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:17 am

IanMcL wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:12 am
Has Steven Defour got any fit mates?
His wife ain't bad
This user liked this post: IanMcL

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:18 am

As long as she can win the midfield, she's in!

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:21 am

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:15 am
Eze is a good shout. QPR are skint but we must move quickly and sweeten the deal with Naaki and Joe Hart as makeweights
Problem is players from the Championship will look at what's happened to Gibson and Vydra and think twice about signing for us, especially if they have other offers.

Socrates
Been Liked: 912 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by Socrates » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:36 am

jrgbfc wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:21 am
Problem is players from the Championship will look at what's happened to Gibson and Vydra and think twice about signing for us, especially if they have other offers.
Or they’ll look at what happened to Pope, Tarkowski, Hendrick, Westwood, JBG, Wood and Barnes and see we actually have a decent track record of signing players from Championship clubs and turning them into Prem players.
These 2 users liked this post: Lord Beamish CombatClaret

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 546 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:39 am

Would take Bowen in a heartbeat

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:57 am

Socrates wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:36 am
Or they’ll look at what happened to Pope, Tarkowski, Hendrick, Westwood, JBG, Wood and Barnes and see we actually have a decent track record of signing players from Championship clubs and turning them into Prem players.
It is amazing how some are intent on ignoring the hits and only concentrating on the misses.
This user liked this post: Burnleyareback2

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6488 times
Has Liked: 2911 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:59 pm

I don't know why we even mention this guy as a target for us in January....the chances of us signing him are nil.

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:19 pm

Quality player. Him and Eze are the best the Championship can offer assuming Kalvin Phillips isn't available.

bartons baggage
Been Liked: 597 times
Has Liked: 541 times

Post by bartons baggage » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:22 pm

Jed Wallace from Millwall looks like he can do bits.

Well worth a gamble, he gets stuck in, decent crosser and weighs in with a goal or 2.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1883 times
Has Liked: 840 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:36 pm

bartons baggage wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:22 pm
Jed Wallace from Millwall looks like he can do bits.

Well worth a gamble, he gets stuck in, decent crosser and weighs in with a goal or 2.

Right wing along with right back are priorities this January. Wallace certainly had a good game on Friday night.

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:48 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:36 pm
Right wing along with right back are priorities this January. Wallace certainly had a good game on Friday night.
A few weeks ago I'd have said we could limp onto the summer with Lowton and Bardsley as our right back options but I'm not so sure now. If we can do it in January I think need to.