Small time Gambling and Football

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
edlass
Been Liked: 59 times
Has Liked: 37 times

Small time Gambling and Football

Post by edlass » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:04 pm

This isn’t an anti-gambling post. I just wondered whether anyone else felt the same as me.

I started loving football when I was about 9 and as well as loving Burnley I actually loved everything about football, so for the last 20 years I have become (without really trying) knowledgeable about stats and promotions etc. I’m not talking about goals per game or average yellow cards but more like patterns of promotions of other teams and I absolutely loved watching the scores coming in on a Saturday even from an early age and being able to remind my Dad who was where in each table and how far they were off promotion or safety they were. I’m sure everyone else picks up the same knowledge.

About five years ago a mate of mine at work would try and pick five matches where there would be more than 2 goals and I thought that would be a great idea. I like football stats and this wasn’t just picking who would win. I’d pass him a quid and he would do it at the bookies for me. Then I discovered that it was extremely easy just to get the app and deposit a fiver and go from there. So ever since I’ve bet a couple of quid a week here and there, both teams to score, next team to score, more or less than 2.5 goals, all the usual’s and often some basic ones like just picking winners for an accumulator.

I always put this down as harmless fun, because I don’t bet big and I don’t win big. But, without realising it until now, it seems that the idea that I might watch a match or watch the scores come in (other than Burnley) and not be gambling would not be as fun. I just don’t look forward to it the same, even though there isn’t big money riding on it. Does anyone else get this feeling? Perhaps it is just because I am older and it’s not as exciting?

I guess I will quit for a few weeks and see if I still care about plain old football.

clarethomer
Been Liked: 942 times
Has Liked: 410 times

Re: Small time Gambling and Football

Post by clarethomer » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:12 pm

I find that if I ever put on a bet when I was due to go to the turf, it was a distraction because I was wondering what was happening elsewhere.

Now I can easily watch them everyweek, either from my sofa or from the turf, I tend not to bet for that reason.

I rarely watch other games so possibly that has something to do with it.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:16 pm

edlass, you sound a bit like in this respect, where perhaps it's more about stats and numbers which you're interested in, and placing a few quid on the weekend enables you to enjoy knowing whether those stats you have in your head turn out to be correct.

I prefer placing smaller bets. Placing a large bit feels like a gamble - placing small bets doesn't, as it's more fun, so you're paying more for enjoying the game more, instead of gambling for the winnings.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2367 times
Has Liked: 3781 times

Post by JohnMac » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:27 pm

I tend to do a 1p or 2p 'Goliath', it's 247 bets over 8 games. I then have an extra £1 on the 8 team roll up just in case it ever comes in.

2 results means a small return and to date I have managed 7 results but never the magical 8. I have also managed to get all 8 wrong! Just selecting a couple of outsiders can make the odds incredible but that's why it's never come in! :lol:

Dom
Been Liked: 327 times
Has Liked: 218 times

Post by Dom » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:29 pm

I stopped betting around 3 years ago because I was **** at it. I'd win every now and again but the bookies won't miss my £5 a week.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1922 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:31 pm

Get where you're coming from. It does enhance the experiance a little. Especially midweeks when the EFL are playing and we aint.

My favorite bet is always on Burnley to lose or draw. Maybe a couple a quid on each. That way if we win then I think of it as paying £4 for 3 points which I'm happy about. If we draw we get a point and a bit of money. If we lose I win a little and feel totally ashamed of myself

Sidney1st
Been Liked: 3547 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Sidney1st » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:34 pm

Only ever put a couple of bets on football.
Few times as part of a group and once on my own.

It doesn't appeal to me, but I also think I'd get hooked and lose a large amount of money.

edlass
Been Liked: 59 times
Has Liked: 37 times

Post by edlass » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:43 pm

With me I can usually make a fiver last a few months in my account. The best I did was turn it into £60 quid and I withdrew it. I am pretty sensible really. I just thought it was a shame it has become the picking the right gambles rather than the stories of teams and how they are doing.

It probably doesn't make it any easier that Burnley are better than they have ever been in my life time. I know we are safe so why look at the table? Does it matter who is the surprise package of league two this season? I just care if they and the tem they play score against each other and if they do my interest ends and if they don't, I don't like them for it.

SammyBoy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 434 times

Post by SammyBoy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:52 pm

Never been much of a gambler, I tried for a bit and never won a bet. Just the thought of donating a tenner to the bookies winds me up too much so I've never really bothered since.

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:55 pm

"I guess I will quit for a few weeks and see if I still care about plain old football."

Have a break and see how you feel after a period of time.

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:07 pm

I do the same most weeks, couple of quid here and there.
From Xmas 2017 to the end of the season I made my 10 deposit last to the end. At one point I was up to £150 but then had a long losing streak which has carried on to this season were I don’t seem to be able to win at all.

I have been working to a couple of rules which did see some good winnings last season but not this.
I pick only teams at home and are odds on. No more than 3 teams in a £1 acca.
I just looked to double the stake, As the pot grew I would increase the stake.
I have taken a break since Xmas and I am going to start again this weekend. see if I can get some luck this time.

Awayfromburnley
Been Liked: 294 times
Has Liked: 60 times

Post by Awayfromburnley » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:04 pm

I bet about £1, in total, each week on a few ridiculous accumulators, hoping they come off. Obviously they never do. Even at £1 a week it feels kind of wrong and I always regret it, if that doesn't sound too weird.

What really worries me is the number of adverts for "Spend £25/£50 each week and get a free £5 bet" Really makes me angry that it seems to be normalising that kind of money effectively being wasted.